Author Topic: Today I quit. Tomorrow, I'll quit again. (A journey through one man's recovery)  (Read 57104 times)

Offline wildirish317

• Free
  • Quitting MoFo
  • Past the cravings Past the drama Still an addict
  • Quit Date: 2/25/2016
  • Interests: I am the most boring person you will ever meet.
  • Likes Given: 15
Okay, I've dragged this up from the depths.  Please don't merge this with my old intro.  Let the dead bury the dead.
“Everything good that has happened to me has happened as a direct result of helping someone else, everything". - Danny Trejo

Offline ChickDip

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • July 2015 Jackals
    • HOF speech
  • Quit Date: 3/30/2015
  • Interests: (July2015 Quit Group) ((7-07-2015 100 days)) ....Quit Day March 30.... Fish Slaying, Hunting, Camping, Hiking, Mtn Biking, Cooking, Sammich-making, Poker, movies, watching Pro Baseball, anything outdoors
  • Likes Given: 2012
Re: Today, I quit. Tomorrow, I'll quit again
« Reply #252 on: August 16, 2018, 12:22:00 PM »
Quote from: 69Franx
Congrats on the 9th floor brother!
Huge congrats on 900 Irish!!
July 2015 Jackals - House of WUPP
"....the load doesn't weigh me down at all, he ain't heavy he's my brother"
Try to believe that you are worth more than you think, and others are worth more than you think.
"If you haven't... Quit now......If you have... Stay that way " ~AppleJack
"Make It Through Today" WarE2013 (Rest Easy)
"I am quit... for today... with you... but not FOR you" ~LBP
"Endeavor to Persevere!" Lone Waite

my intro / my HOF speech / my comma club
Building a Strong Quit / My HOF Day

Offline Doofus

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quit Pro
  • Go big or go home
  • Interests: Family, fishing, football, friends and being quitI love my wife and two daughters. I'm not perfect but strive every day to be better.
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #251 on: August 15, 2018, 11:05:00 AM »
DAY 214, HONORED TO BE WITH YOU IN QUIT, CONGRATS

Offline Athan

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • Addict
  • Quit Date: January 1 2018
  • Interests: GodFamilyCountry
  • Likes Given: 1651
« Reply #250 on: August 14, 2018, 07:18:00 PM »
Wow Irish, surely do value catching glimpses of you as you stroll through the halls. It's like catching drops of wisdom like the morning dew.
Thanks for sticking around. I know that you've rippled into my journey in a profound way. Hope to catch a glimpse of you soon...
"I hope you find a thousand reasons to quit today" Rawls
"I can't quit for you. I will quit with you" Ready
"There are two dogs in the fight, which one are you feeding?" SuperDave9000
"In the Navy we had morning muster. You never miss muster. You better be dead if you miss. If you are dying, you should have started crawling earlier, no excuse." Olcpo

The Science of Addiction
The Law of Addiction
The Road Called Recovery
My Intro and HOF Speech
Quitters I've met: Cbird, UncleRico, Gregor, KDip, Broccoli-saurus, Croakenhagen, BriagG, Koba, Kodiakdeath, Arrakisdq, McDave, Worktowin, SkolVikings, JGromo, GS9502, PaDutchman, Stillbrewing, A-Aron...
wildirish317
outdoortexan cancer

Offline 69franx

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • Do I have your attention now? Quit date 08/01/17
  • Likes Given: 8865
« Reply #249 on: August 12, 2018, 10:16:00 PM »
Congrats on the 9th floor brother!
ABQ= Always Be Quitting

My Intro
My HOF Speech
How long have I been quit?

I brew the beer I drink, what's your superpower?

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

HOF: 11/08/17     2nd Floor: 02/16/18     3rd Floor: 05/27/18     1st trip around the sun: 07/31/18     4th Floor: 09/04/18     5th floor: 12/13/18     6th floor: 03/23/2019     7th floor: 07/01/19     2nd trip around the sun: 07/31/19     8th floor: 10/09/19     9th floor: 01/17/20     Comma Day: 04/26/2020     3rd trip around the sun: 08/01/2020     11th floor: 08/04/2020     12th Floor: 11/12/2020     13th floor: 02/20/2021     14th floor: 05/31/2021

Offline Hutch18

• Quitter
  • Interests: Keeping up with my 3 boys. Coaching basketball at the YMCA and serving on the Sports Committee.Trying to keep God in everything and daily making him my Lord and Savior.
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #248 on: August 12, 2018, 08:47:00 PM »
Quote from: ChickDip
Quote from: FLLipOut
Nice 800 Irish!

'party2'
Happy 8th floor Irish!
This post is definitely worth the read. Holy crap two years great job. I am only on day 34 and barely imagine day 45 let alone 2! years. This site is quite the life saver.!
Addicts don't quit once for a lifetime, they quit daily for a lifetime.

Offline ChickDip

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • July 2015 Jackals
    • HOF speech
  • Interests: (July2015 Quit Group) ((7-07-2015 100 days)) ....Quit Day March 30.... Fish Slaying, Hunting, Camping, Hiking, Mtn Biking, Cooking, Sammich-making, Poker, movies, watching Pro Baseball, anything outdoors
« Reply #247 on: May 05, 2018, 05:01:00 AM »
Nice 800 Irish!

'party2'
Happy 8th floor Irish!
Try to believe that you are worth more than you think, and others are worth more than you think.

Offline FLLipOut

• Master of Quit
  • Lady Arsonist
  • Quit Date: 07/22/16
  • Likes Given: 2555
« Reply #246 on: May 04, 2018, 10:40:00 PM »
Nice 800 Irish!

'party2'
Just one and you will be back to where you started, and where you started was desperately wishing you were where you are now.
"The best way out is always through." - Robert Frost
"I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you!" - Samwise Gamgee
HOF: 10.29.16 | FL 2: 02.06.17 | FL 3: 05.17.17 | Y1: 07.22.17 | FL 4: 08.25.17 | FL 5: 12.03.17 | FL 6: 03.13.18 | FL 7: 06.21.18 | Y2: 07.22.18 | FL 8: 09.29.18 | FL 9: 01.07.19 | COMMA , : 04.17.19 | Y3: 07.22.19 | FL 11: 07.26.19 | FL 12: 11.03.19 | FL 13: 02.11.20 | FL 14: 05.21.20 | Y4: 07.22.20 | FL 15: 08.29.20  | FL 16: 12.07.20 | FL 17: 03.17.21 | FL 18: 06.25.21 | Y5: 07.22.21 | FL 19: 06.25.21 | FL 20 ,, : 01.11.22 | FL 21: 04.21.22 | Y6: 07.22.22 | FL 22: 07.30.22 | FL 23: 11.07.22 | FL 24: 02.15.23 | FL 25: 05.26.23 | Y7: 07.22.23 | FL 26: 09.03.23 | FL 27: 12.12.23 | FL 28: 03.21.24

Offline wildirish317

• Free
  • Quitting MoFo
« Reply #245 on: May 04, 2018, 09:37:00 PM »
The Value of Documenting Your Journey

I really was on a search for more on the topic of the law of addiction, in ""Freedom from Nicotine" when I found this:

While "one day at a time" is an excellent victory yardstick, imagine the value of being able to look back and see what each day was like. Consider jotting down a few calendar notes or diary entries about what early recovery was like and the challenges overcome. Although not necessary to success, doing so could prove valuable later.

Why would anyone want to vividly recall the first few days of recovery, days which could reflect a blend of frustrations, anxieties, crave episodes, anger, bargaining and sadness? The same reason we need to remember, in as much detail as possible, daily life as an actively feeding nicotine addict.

We've all heard that "those who forget the past are destined to repeat it." It's hard to imagine a situation where it rings truer than with drug recovery and relapse. Humans tend to repress and inhibit negative emotional memories, and emotional experiences in general.146 Instead, we remember and replay the good, while forgetting the bad.

Imagine if it were otherwise. A vivid picture of all the pain, anxiety and hurt of all our yesterdays would be a heavy burden to bear. While your mind may quickly suppress memories of the challenges overcome, ink on paper or words typed into a computer are durable. The best way to protect against complacency isn't by forgetting what bondage or recovery was like, but by accurately recalling them.

It's wise to make a record of both the reasons you want to break free and what the first couple of weeks were like. Consider sending yourself an e-mail before bed. And here's an example of why.

Imagine hitting what feels like a recovery plateau, where you no longer sense improvement. Imagine feeling stuck and wondering if it's going to remain this way for good, as if a rose bud had stopped opening.

Now imagine being able to look back and read your own progress notes. Like having a medical chart during a hospital stay, your record can provide accurate perspective of how far you've come. It can help calm concerns that recovery has stalled. Although at times nearly impossible to see, I
assure you, recovery's rose bud continues to slowly unfold.

Consider a present gift of future memory. Consider it free relapse insurance. A few memory jogging notes when starting out could become invaluable during challenge, lulls or once complacency arrives.

I did this, for my first two years. I still go back to it when I feel the need. It's like a soft leather chair. I find comfort there. If you are in the early stages of recovery, I urge you to do this. If you are in later stages, find someone who is in their early stages, help them through it, and document that process.
“Everything good that has happened to me has happened as a direct result of helping someone else, everything". - Danny Trejo

Offline Srrlgr

• Quitter
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #244 on: April 08, 2018, 10:32:00 PM »
Quote from: pab1964
Quote from: wildirish317
For the past two years, I've been fighting my addiction to nicotine. Every single day, I made my promise to people I've never met, that I will remain nicotine free today.

For the past two years, I've come here and shared the things I've learned about addiction, how it affects us, and how we can react to it; how we can live with it.

I just finished reading through my entire intro, and realize I have absolutely nothing left to share. My quit is strong. I have no obstacles in my immediate quit. I'm at the point where I see people using tobacco and think "I don't understand why someone would stick that shit in their mouth (or lungs)." I have an aversion to nicotine. It held me in its grasp for 38 years. I am now free. I will stay free.

This is not a farewell post. It's more like the end of my introduction. If you don't know me by now, there's nothing I can add. I am quit. You will still find me around the site, posting roll, or making Haiku's. Early in my quit, I always longed for the day when my quit group was as quiet as the old quit groups. It's there now. I can finally post in peace. I am now "reteered" as one of my favorite quitters likes to say.

PS: When I learn something about addiction and recovery (and I will) I will return to post it. In the mean time, I have a whole new life to explore.
Be looking forward to more then.
I've pointed numerous new and old quit here...to this treasure-trove...and I still will when the moment arises.
Quit on.
Wait! Tomorrow you finally hit the 2 year anniversary - the point where PAWS is supposed to end! So...??? Is 2 years all it was cracked up to be?
Yes, 2 years was all it was cracked up to be. I made it. Life is good.

I remember: "Wait, wat? 2 Fockin' years? I can only quit for today!" Yeah, that's what it took. I quit each one of those days. I made it. You can too. You're almost there. :wub:
2 YEARS!

Congratulations, Irish!!

'party2'
Congrats on 2 years quit Irish!! 'irish' ❤
Congratulations on 2 Years my friend! Keep paying it forward
Thank you for the posts Irish. I just read it in itÂ’s entirety. It truly helps my perspective. One of my major flaws is the thought that I am a kinder person when I am using nicotine. Quite frankly, itÂ’s a thought that I was never comfortable expressing, however, it is there. This thread has provided another thought, I am not alone in experiencing this thought. More importantly, this thought, is a lie. It is PAWS! I get it. Thank you Irish, I needed this and will use it in my battles ahead. Day 131.

Offline pab1964

• Family
  • Master of Quit
  • Loving the quit life
  • Interests: God family crappie fishing
  • Likes Given: 85
« Reply #243 on: February 25, 2018, 03:58:00 PM »
For the past two years, I've been fighting my addiction to nicotine. Every single day, I made my promise to people I've never met, that I will remain nicotine free today.

For the past two years, I've come here and shared the things I've learned about addiction, how it affects us, and how we can react to it; how we can live with it.

I just finished reading through my entire intro, and realize I have absolutely nothing left to share. My quit is strong. I have no obstacles in my immediate quit. I'm at the point where I see people using tobacco and think "I don't understand why someone would stick that shit in their mouth (or lungs)." I have an aversion to nicotine. It held me in its grasp for 38 years. I am now free. I will stay free.

This is not a farewell post. It's more like the end of my introduction. If you don't know me by now, there's nothing I can add. I am quit. You will still find me around the site, posting roll, or making Haiku's. Early in my quit, I always longed for the day when my quit group was as quiet as the old quit groups. It's there now. I can finally post in peace. I am now "reteered" as one of my favorite quitters likes to say.

PS: When I learn something about addiction and recovery (and I will) I will return to post it. In the mean time, I have a whole new life to explore.
I've pointed numerous new and old quit here...to this treasure-trove...and I still will when the moment arises.
Quit on.
Wait! Tomorrow you finally hit the 2 year anniversary - the point where PAWS is supposed to end! So...??? Is 2 years all it was cracked up to be?

I remember: "Wait, wat? 2 Fockin' years? I can only quit for today!" Yeah, that's what it took. I quit each one of those days. I made it. You can too. You're almost there. :wub:
2 YEARS!

Congratulations, Irish!!

'party2'
Congratulations on 2 Years my friend! Keep paying it forward
Tobacco is so addictive it took me a year after a massive heart attack, in which doctor confirmed caused from dipping to finally put a lid on the bitch! ODAAT EDD

Offline ChickDip

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • July 2015 Jackals
    • HOF speech
« Reply #242 on: February 25, 2018, 12:03:00 PM »

Quit on.

2 YEARS!

Congratulations, Irish!!

'party2'

Offline FLLipOut

• Master of Quit
  • Lady Arsonist
« Reply #241 on: February 25, 2018, 08:54:00 AM »

Quit on.

2 YEARS!

Congratulations, Irish!!

'party2'
Just one and you will be back to where you started, and where you started was desperately wishing you were where you are now.
HOF: 10.29.16 | FL 2: 02.06.17 | FL 3: 05.17.17 | Y1: 07.22.17 | FL 4: 08.25.17 | FL 5: 12.03.17 | FL 6: 03.13.18 | FL 7: 06.21.18 | Y2: 07.22.18 | FL 8: 09.29.18 | FL 9: 01.07.19 | COMMA , : 04.17.19 | Y3: 07.22.19 | FL 11: 07.26.19 | FL 12: 11.03.19 | FL 13: 02.11.20 | FL 14: 05.21.20 | Y4: 07.22.20 | FL 15: 08.29.20  | FL 16: 12.07.20 | FL 17: 03.17.21 | FL 18: 06.25.21 | Y5: 07.22.21 | FL 19: 06.25.21 | FL 20 ,, : 01.11.22 | FL 21: 04.21.22 | Y6: 07.22.22 | FL 22: 07.30.22 | FL 23: 11.07.22 | FL 24: 02.15.23 | FL 25: 05.26.23 | Y7: 07.22.23 | FL 26: 09.03.23 | FL 27: 12.12.23 | FL 28: 03.21.24

Offline wildirish317

• Free
  • Quitting MoFo
« Reply #240 on: February 24, 2018, 11:37:00 PM »

Quit on.

Offline FLLipOut

• Master of Quit
  • Lady Arsonist
« Reply #239 on: February 24, 2018, 09:35:00 PM »

Quit on.