Author Topic: 2nd Time Quitting  (Read 4007 times)

Offline 69franx

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • Do I have your attention now? Quit date 08/01/17
  • Likes Given: 8865
Re: 2nd Time Quitting
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2020, 11:41:52 AM »
@Wrussud let's get on this quit train. I know you posted the above intro and then came back a couple hours later to check out any responses.  It looks like you want to quit, the question is, will you?

Feels a bit condescending. I said I was going to.

LOL, look sometimes we give some tough love. When I first got here 5 years ago I said that I was going to post a Day 1 yet because I had bought a bunch of nicotine gum. @worktowin basically called me a bitch. I threw it out and posted my roll. He's one of the main reasons I am still quit 1,965 days.

This shit ain't easy and I'm thankful for the little bit of tough love I got in my introduction thread.
@Wrussud there’s still time today to start winning. Brother every word that’s been dropped here in your intro is from guys who have been in your shoes, know how you are feeling, and understand the hesitance to kick off your quit. Dude I made excuses damn near every day for over 20 years. You can do this. Join us. We want to win with you.

^^^  "You'll never regret quitting" - the guy above me in this thread told me that on my day 6 and he was exactly right.  I quit with you today on my day 1,881.   8)

Hey Will... I saw that you posted this in a group and wanted to make sure it is stored here for when you come back. Hopefully you’ll recognize this as a support system and not a cult for your “next quit”. Cheers.

“I'd like my account deleted. Too culty for me. Haven't used chew in 3 days. Didn't need this website at all. Think it was all mental for me. Anyway, best of luck to you all and obviously its worked for a lot of you, so take care!”

Will had a nice story and I hope he stays quit.  I'm sure there have been quitters here who left early and still maintain their quit.  But if they don't post roll their quit can't be verified.  Too bad the system didn't work for Will.   :(
Its really too bad he didn't stick it out long enough to see if it would work for him
ABQ= Always Be Quitting

My Intro
My HOF Speech
How long have I been quit?

I brew the beer I drink, what's your superpower?

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

HOF: 11/08/17     2nd Floor: 02/16/18     3rd Floor: 05/27/18     1st trip around the sun: 07/31/18     4th Floor: 09/04/18     5th floor: 12/13/18     6th floor: 03/23/2019     7th floor: 07/01/19     2nd trip around the sun: 07/31/19     8th floor: 10/09/19     9th floor: 01/17/20     Comma Day: 04/26/2020     3rd trip around the sun: 08/01/2020     11th floor: 08/04/2020     12th Floor: 11/12/2020     13th floor: 02/20/2021     14th floor: 05/31/2021

Offline Stranger999

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • Quit Date: 09/05/2015
  • Interests: Taking that first breath every morning before I post roll again.... Family, Philadelphia Eagles football, music, computers, solving puzzles of all sorts
  • Likes Given: 244
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2020, 01:11:28 AM »
@Wrussud let's get on this quit train. I know you posted the above intro and then came back a couple hours later to check out any responses.  It looks like you want to quit, the question is, will you?

LOL, look sometimes we give some tough love. When I first got here 5 years ago I said that I was going to post a Day 1 yet because I had bought a bunch of nicotine gum. @worktowin basically called me a bitch. I threw it out and posted my roll. He's one of the main reasons I am still quit 1,965 days.

This shit ain't easy and I'm thankful for the little bit of tough love I got in my introduction thread.
@Wrussud there’s still time today to start winning. Brother every word that’s been dropped here in your intro is from guys who have been in your shoes, know how you are feeling, and understand the hesitance to kick off your quit. Dude I made excuses damn near every day for over 20 years. You can do this. Join us. We want to win with you.

^^^  "You'll never regret quitting" - the guy above me in this thread told me that on my day 6 and he was exactly right.  I quit with you today on my day 1,881.   8)

Hey Will... I saw that you posted this in a group and wanted to make sure it is stored here for when you come back. Hopefully you’ll recognize this as a support system and not a cult for your “next quit”. Cheers.

“I'd like my account deleted. Too culty for me. Haven't used chew in 3 days. Didn't need this website at all. Think it was all mental for me. Anyway, best of luck to you all and obviously its worked for a lot of you, so take care!”

Will had a nice story and I hope he stays quit.  I'm sure there have been quitters here who left early and still maintain their quit.  But if they don't post roll their quit can't be verified.  Too bad the system didn't work for Will.   :(

Offline worktowin

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Interests: GymWorkTravel
  • Likes Given: 104
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2020, 01:39:14 PM »

Offline Stranger999

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • Quit Date: 09/05/2015
  • Interests: Taking that first breath every morning before I post roll again.... Family, Philadelphia Eagles football, music, computers, solving puzzles of all sorts
  • Likes Given: 244
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2020, 11:44:31 PM »

Offline worktowin

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2020, 09:14:21 PM »

Offline Hill_Monkey

• Uncultured swine
  • Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quitter
  • Quit Date: October 11th, 2020
  • Interests: Guns, shooting, hunting
  • Likes Given: 110
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2020, 03:06:29 PM »

Offline AppleJack

• Rockin’ in the free world...
  • Master of Quit
  • Quit Date: April 17, 2013
  • Likes Given: 106
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2020, 10:42:04 AM »
Hey Everyone,

I stumbled upon this website from Reddit after reading some articles about the harsh reality of mouth and throat cancer. 

Anyway, my name is Will and I’ve decided to finally quit for good. As I type this I can literally think of a list of reasons not to, but I know that this is important to do and having a place to come to talk about it is pretty important to me.

I started chewing when I was about 11 after trying some of my older friends camel snus pouches. I remember it tasting pretty good, the buzz was unreal and I like the fixation. From there I started red man cans, and used to get together with my buddy and buzz out.

Then I discovered Grizzly Wintergreen when I was about 15 and the rest was history.

About a year ago, I went to the dentist and he was on me (as he always was) about quitting. He said the long cut is destroying my gums and he told me (which I did not know) is that Grizzly is actually one of the worst if not THE worst chew to use. I said okay, I would quit pouched and try to quit. He said okay and to work on alternatives, as there’s many options.

I’m a little ahead of myself. When I was 17, I was just about to graduate high school and my grandfather who lived with us, passed away. He was very important to me and I miss him dearly. I had quit chewing for about 3 months before this happened and my dad quit smoking. We quit together. That day we both went back to our vices and started again. And there is no excuse, but I think that’s at least the most acceptable one.

Anyway, I was off to college and with college came parties, with parties came drugs and I started smoking cigarettes. I had cottonmouth most of the time which made chewing impossible so I started smoking cigarettes to get me that nicotine and tobacco addiction I strongly craved. After about a year, I ended up leaving college and got a job. Started chewing again as I didn’t ever really like smoking cigarettes. Very stinky, sticks to clothes and just was a habit I didn’t like.

Fast forward to now, I chew a can per day and sometimes (more often than not) crack tomorrow’s can, tonight. I just took a chew out as I was reading the article I was reading and decided “yanno what? It’s time”.

I used to be an athlete pretty aggressively and one thing I was always hearing from coaches was “what’s your why?” You have to know your why or you’ll never follow through.

Here’s my “why”:
I want a full set of clean, white teeth when I’m old and gray. I want to work on smiling more as I always avoided it because of my yellow tinted teeth no matter how many times I brush. I was a clean palette so I could really taste my food and enjoy a good glass of wine. I have GERD (for those who don’t know it’s gastroesophogeal reflux disease: basically heart burn but times a thousand) and chewing always gives me horrible heartburn. Quitting could help that condition improve. Also aesthetically, it would be nice to never see a spitter around again or accidentally spilling one or even the worst: drinking one.

I’m sorry if this is too long, but it’s important to be transparent with not only myself, but this community and be honest.

I’d love to hear from some of you. It’s easy to downplay a nicotine addiction because it seems less severe than drug/alcohol/sex addictions, but in reality it’s up to about the same thing.

Thanks for reading if you got this far. Looking forward to tomorrow...Day 1.

Hi Will.  My name is Michael, and I'm a nicotine addict.

Stillamarine called me out for calling him a bitch.  Well, dude was kind of a bitch about 2K days ago, but now hes quit like a MOFO.

Quitting is the hardest, and most rewarding thing you will ever do for yourself, and your family.  Not just quitting, but being a part of this community.  The values of honesty and integrity that will lead to your success through this forum will become a part of your everyday life much more, and you will be a better person as a result.  I've made some of the best friends I have in life through this place, and together we win.

Now, that's not to say that this is easy.  The dropout rate is high, but that is only because people for some reason won't follow a simple concept....

Wake up, immediately post your promise to yourself and your brothers that you won't use nicotine today.  Don't worry about anything except keeping your promise right now.  Keep your word.  That's it. 

Together, your brothers (and occasional sister) will do anything to keep you along for the ride.  And, as time goes by.... I promise.... this gets easier and easier.  The beginning - hardest days of my life in general.  No pain, no gain.  After the pain, you will feel better than you've felt in years, and you will be free of the guilt, the shame, and the chains that have bound you to a plant that you put above so many other parts of your life.

Think about that last sentence... have you prioritized your addiction over relationships, work, responsibilities?  Have you made excuses to not do something so you could sit in your truck alone, or run out to 7-11 to buy a tin when you were low?  Have you wasted thousands or tens of thousands of dollars that you could have used for something else?  Have you hidden your addiction from someone because you were ashamed? 

Brother, today is the day.  Carpe diem.  If someone like me, or that ex-bitch Stillamarine can do it... I know you can.  We will do anything to help you succeed, but the first step is yours.  Post roll.... keep your promise.  Send me a PM if there is anything I can do to help.  Almost 8 years ago I was in your shoes.  Today, I am free.  And you can be too.

Michael/worktowin
This ^^^ is good shiz.
Lots of it.

Let me tell you about freedom... it’s pretty badass. It’s also something I THOUGHT I had before I quit. Nah. Not even close. Michael and I are both old heads here and very close to the same numbers. Both enjoying a freedom in life we didn’t know existed while deep in a can.

My whole day used to be planned around buying my 2 cans a day and making sure I had enough.
My whole day used to be planned around getting off by myself or taking a long enough shower or doing an outside job that my wife didn’t want any part of... so I could dip.
My whole day, prior to a vacation, used to be planned around finding some really clever place to stash the stupid amount of dip I needed to take with us.
My whole day used to involve clever ways of lying to my wife about why, exactly, that much cash was needed by me daily or where my C store receipts went.
My whole day was spent thinking about just how much was the right amount to put in my lip so it wouldn’t be obvious while waking around work.

My WHOLE day was fucked because of that damn can.

That’s not freedom.

2,752 days later... I can’t even recognize that as me. I do NOT think about dip. I rarely have a crave and I just laughs them off when I do. I. Am. Free. And... I own this shit.

This is yours for the taking. Freedom is here and it’s pretty badass.
Well, it’s one louder, isn’t it? It’s not ten.

Offline worktowin

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2020, 09:25:56 AM »
Hey Everyone,

I stumbled upon this website from Reddit after reading some articles about the harsh reality of mouth and throat cancer. 

Anyway, my name is Will and I’ve decided to finally quit for good. As I type this I can literally think of a list of reasons not to, but I know that this is important to do and having a place to come to talk about it is pretty important to me.

I started chewing when I was about 11 after trying some of my older friends camel snus pouches. I remember it tasting pretty good, the buzz was unreal and I like the fixation. From there I started red man cans, and used to get together with my buddy and buzz out.

Then I discovered Grizzly Wintergreen when I was about 15 and the rest was history.

About a year ago, I went to the dentist and he was on me (as he always was) about quitting. He said the long cut is destroying my gums and he told me (which I did not know) is that Grizzly is actually one of the worst if not THE worst chew to use. I said okay, I would quit pouched and try to quit. He said okay and to work on alternatives, as there’s many options.

I’m a little ahead of myself. When I was 17, I was just about to graduate high school and my grandfather who lived with us, passed away. He was very important to me and I miss him dearly. I had quit chewing for about 3 months before this happened and my dad quit smoking. We quit together. That day we both went back to our vices and started again. And there is no excuse, but I think that’s at least the most acceptable one.

Anyway, I was off to college and with college came parties, with parties came drugs and I started smoking cigarettes. I had cottonmouth most of the time which made chewing impossible so I started smoking cigarettes to get me that nicotine and tobacco addiction I strongly craved. After about a year, I ended up leaving college and got a job. Started chewing again as I didn’t ever really like smoking cigarettes. Very stinky, sticks to clothes and just was a habit I didn’t like.

Fast forward to now, I chew a can per day and sometimes (more often than not) crack tomorrow’s can, tonight. I just took a chew out as I was reading the article I was reading and decided “yanno what? It’s time”.

I used to be an athlete pretty aggressively and one thing I was always hearing from coaches was “what’s your why?” You have to know your why or you’ll never follow through.

Here’s my “why”:
I want a full set of clean, white teeth when I’m old and gray. I want to work on smiling more as I always avoided it because of my yellow tinted teeth no matter how many times I brush. I was a clean palette so I could really taste my food and enjoy a good glass of wine. I have GERD (for those who don’t know it’s gastroesophogeal reflux disease: basically heart burn but times a thousand) and chewing always gives me horrible heartburn. Quitting could help that condition improve. Also aesthetically, it would be nice to never see a spitter around again or accidentally spilling one or even the worst: drinking one.

I’m sorry if this is too long, but it’s important to be transparent with not only myself, but this community and be honest.

I’d love to hear from some of you. It’s easy to downplay a nicotine addiction because it seems less severe than drug/alcohol/sex addictions, but in reality it’s up to about the same thing.

Hi Will.  My name is Michael, and I'm a nicotine addict.

Stillamarine called me out for calling him a bitch.  Well, dude was kind of a bitch about 2K days ago, but now hes quit like a MOFO.

Quitting is the hardest, and most rewarding thing you will ever do for yourself, and your family.  Not just quitting, but being a part of this community.  The values of honesty and integrity that will lead to your success through this forum will become a part of your everyday life much more, and you will be a better person as a result.  I've made some of the best friends I have in life through this place, and together we win.

Now, that's not to say that this is easy.  The dropout rate is high, but that is only because people for some reason won't follow a simple concept....

Wake up, immediately post your promise to yourself and your brothers that you won't use nicotine today.  Don't worry about anything except keeping your promise right now.  Keep your word.  That's it. 

Together, your brothers (and occasional sister) will do anything to keep you along for the ride.  And, as time goes by.... I promise.... this gets easier and easier.  The beginning - hardest days of my life in general.  No pain, no gain.  After the pain, you will feel better than you've felt in years, and you will be free of the guilt, the shame, and the chains that have bound you to a plant that you put above so many other parts of your life.

Think about that last sentence... have you prioritized your addiction over relationships, work, responsibilities?  Have you made excuses to not do something so you could sit in your truck alone, or run out to 7-11 to buy a tin when you were low?  Have you wasted thousands or tens of thousands of dollars that you could have used for something else?  Have you hidden your addiction from someone because you were ashamed? 

Brother, today is the day.  Carpe diem.  If someone like me, or that ex-bitch Stillamarine can do it... I know you can.  We will do anything to help you succeed, but the first step is yours.  Post roll.... keep your promise.  Send me a PM if there is anything I can do to help.  Almost 8 years ago I was in your shoes.  Today, I am free.  And you can be too.

Michael/worktowin

Offline Hoopsguy42

• Quitter
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2020, 06:48:53 AM »
Great intro post - welcome to the site! You won't regret your quit. A week without it, a month without it, or a year seems like a lot.

Don't worry about any of that.....If you can make it to your next sleep without caving, you can repeat that every day, one at a time. Good luck on your journey - we are all here to help and support you. Welcome to KTC!

Offline 69franx

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2020, 04:32:37 PM »

I call it a push or maybe a shove into quitting. Its never easy at first but the decision to quit and quitting are 2 different things. You can see hundreds of hopeful quitters' intros that made one post and disappeared. Just trying to figure which path you are on. Quit or don't,
 but don't "try" to quit
ABQ= Always Be Quitting

My Intro
My HOF Speech

HOF: 11/08/17     2nd Floor: 02/16/18     3rd Floor: 05/27/18     1st trip around the sun: 07/31/18     4th Floor: 09/04/18     5th floor: 12/13/18     6th floor: 03/23/2019     7th floor: 07/01/19     2nd trip around the sun: 07/31/19     8th floor: 10/09/19     9th floor: 01/17/20     Comma Day: 04/26/2020     3rd trip around the sun: 08/01/2020     11th floor: 08/04/2020     12th Floor: 11/12/2020     13th floor: 02/20/2021     14th floor: 05/31/2021

Offline Stillamarine

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2015-06-12
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2020, 12:09:08 PM »

No day but today.

Semper Fi

24 years of dipping = 8,765 days of slavery to the nic-bitch (approximately)

Quit date June 12th, 2015

Offline Wrussud

• Likes Given: 2
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2020, 11:16:39 AM »

Online MN_Engineer

• QLAMF ODAAT
  • Administrator
  • Master of Quit
  • Aug '16 Trauma-Tizers
  • Quit Date: 04-25-2016
  • Interests: All things Mopar, Rick and Morty fan, MN Twins for life!
  • Likes Given: 4333
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2020, 09:25:35 AM »
@Wrussud let's put some action to those words of yours. Your story is like so many here. But KTC isn't about just telling our stories. It's about action and commitment, brotherhood and accountability. The difference between you and those here is the putting those words into action. We are making our promises each and every day and honoring our words. We are enjoying the freedom that comes with being QUIT. Are you going to join us?
Quit: 04.25.16 | HOF: 08.02.16 | 2nd FL: 11.10.16 | 3rd FL: 02.18.17 | 4th FL: 05.29.17 | 5th FL: 09.06.17 | 6th FL: 12.15.17 | 7th FL: 03.25.18 |
8th FL: 07.03.18 | 9th FL: 10.11.18 | Comma: 01.19.19 | 11th FL: 04.29.19 | 12th FL: 08.07.19 | 13th FL: 11.15.19 | 14th FL: 02.23.20 |
15th FL: 06.02.20 | 16th FL: 09.10.20 | 17th FL: 12.19.20 | 18th FL: 03.29.21 | 19th FL: 07.07.21 | Comma 2x: 10.15.21 | 21st FL: 01.23.22 |
22nd FL: 05.03.22 | 23rd FL: 08.11.22 | 24th FL: 11.19.22 | 25th FL: 02.27.23 | 26th FL: 06.07.23 | 27th FL: 09.15.23 | 28th FL: 12.24.23 |

"From Skoal to Skol!" My HOF Speech HERE!
"There is no victory without a battle."
"Cave = losing an argument to a dead plant in a plastic can. You are smarter than a dead plant." - Candoit
"The truth is the truth even if no one believes it, and a lie is a lie, even if everyone believes it." - Bishop Fulton J. Sheen

Feel like throwing in the towel? Sign the "Contract to Give Up" HERE
Phat Pauly - Part 1 || Phat Pauly - Part 2 || DeanTheCoot - Pencil Poop

Offline 69franx

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2020, 08:31:47 AM »
ABQ= Always Be Quitting

My Intro
My HOF Speech

Offline 69franx

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2020, 08:29:46 AM »
Hey Everyone,

Here’s my “why”:

Hi and welcome @Wrussud. First, you nailed it here
it’s important to be transparent with not only myself, but this community and be honest.
I think there are several gems in this...come back and read it often.
Day 1 is the day you quit. Now, go post roll HERE. It is your promise to all of us that you will not use any form of nicotine today.
I know its already your planned quit date, but get in here and make your promise to remain nicotine free for just today.  Ankape gave you the link above, let's make it happen
ABQ= Always Be Quitting

My Intro
My HOF Speech