Offline RDB

• Quit Spartan
  • Quit Pro
  • Quit Date 1/22/16
  • Likes Given: 4
Re: Day 1
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2018, 11:08:46 AM »
Welcome.

Go to your March Quit Group. Post roll. Roll is your promise to yourself, members of your Quit Group, and everyone who supporst your Quit Group that you will not use nicotine in any form for the rest of the day. Then, make the same promise tomorrow, and every tomorrow afterward, early in the moring. Make your promise, keep your promise. It's that simple. Hard as hell, but simple.

Proud to be quit with you.

RDB 1,050

Offline L93bent

• Likes Given: 2
Day 1
« on: December 06, 2018, 01:26:10 AM »
39 years old and recently diagnosed with adhd. It was always there and it almost ruined my marraige. To finally discover why I am the way I am has opened up a new world of discovery and opportunity.  Nicotine was the crutch that released the dopamine that my brain doesn't produce properly. I have been dipping for at least 15 years and smoked for 10 before that. Nicotine has always been a part of my life. I remember stealing my first cigarette from my dad around 6 years old and I fucking liked it!!!! What 6 year old enjoys a cigarette?
My father always smoked a pipe but always had a pack of cigs for places he couldn't smoke the pipe. He was diagnosed with mouth cancer 15 years ago. It spread through his body and he died a year later. I continued to smoke and eventually started dipping. My rationale was that I would notice mouth cancer before lung cancer. It sounds so fucked up to actually see this in writing.

I started smoking regularly around 14 years old while working as a dishwasher. I have always been ashamed of it, but could never quit.

Now is the time. I am almost 40 and nicotine has ruled every aspect of  my life since I can remember.  My wife knows I dip, but I have hid it from the kids. I will tell them all tomorrow about my addiction and my plan to never use nicotine again. I dumped my can in the toilet at midnight..... 

Since my adhd diagnosis I have been exploring mindfulness and plan to use some of what I am learning to get through it.

I am hoping the acronym RAIN will be my crutch.

RECOGNIZE what is going on;
ALLOW the experience to be there, just as it is;
INVESTIGATE with kindness;
NATURAL awareness, which comes from not identifying
with the experience.