Author Topic: This Time Is For Real  (Read 88429 times)

Offline Candoit

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • The Candy Man
  • Quit Date: Today
  • Likes Given: 121
Re: This Time Is For Real
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2018, 11:00:56 AM »
July 24th, 2014, 12:03 pm #10 - Breadherring
Quote from: Thumblewort
QFT ^^^^. I lied to my wife the most regarding chewing - I'll quit tomorrow, on my birthday. on her birthday, etc. - so why would I get her support? Instead I talked to her every day the first 2 months until things started to be normal again, and support or no, it helped a bunch. She knew I wasn't dipping, and that's all that mattered to me.
If nothing else, it will help explain why you're more irritable than normal while you're going through the withdrawal. When I finally told my wife about my quit, the first thing she said was, "So that's why you were such an asshole all last week..."
There are no circumstances in which using nicotine will improve the outcome.

My journey. The best part it is not over yet.

Offline Candoit

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • The Candy Man
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2018, 10:57:01 AM »
July 24th, 2014, 11:49 am #9 - Thumblewort
Quote from: breadherring
Quote from: Candoit
I was confronted by my wife this morning. And I have been thinking of quitting, but I find that I can not find the will power to follow through.
Welcome, candoit.

As others have said, you can't do this for someone else. You have to want to quit because YOU want to quit.

Doing it for your wife will get you through the first 12-24 hours, but on about day two or three when her immediate anger has worn off, you'll realize you don't have to actually BE quit, you just have to make her THINK you're quit. And I can tell you from experience, hiding dipping is a lot easier than quitting dipping.

Some advice from someone who's been there: involve your wife in your quit and talk to her about what you're feeling. When I first quit, I thought my wife would be mad if she knew I was struggling, so I just avoided the topic entirely. That's the wrong approach. You need support here AND in real life.
QFT ^^^^. I lied to my wife the most regarding chewing - I'll quit tomorrow, on my birthday. on her birthday, etc. - so why would I get her support? Instead, I talked to her every day the first 2 months until things started to be normal again, and support or no, it helped a bunch. She knew I wasn't dipping, and that's all that mattered to me.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 10:59:49 AM by Candoit »

Offline Candoit

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • The Candy Man
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2018, 10:54:35 AM »
July 24th, 2014, 11:40 am #8 Breadherring
I was confronted by my wife this morning. And I have been thinking of quitting, but I find that I can not find the will power to follow through.
Welcome, candoit.

As others have said, you can't do this for someone else. You have to want to quit because YOU want to quit.

Doing it for your wife will get you through the first 12-24 hours, but on about day two or three when her immediate anger has worn off, you'll realize you don't have to actually BE quit, you just have to make her THINK you're quit. And I can tell you from experience, hiding dipping is a lot easier than quitting dipping.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 10:59:31 AM by Candoit »

Offline Candoit

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • The Candy Man
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2018, 10:53:34 AM »
 July 24th, 2014, 11:09 am #7 - AppleJack
Welcome in bro...
Some real badass quitters have chimed in here... Guys who I respect the hell out of. They've said it all really. The only thing I want to add is this... Own it. You're here... You're doing it.

Wrap your head around your addiction... It's not a habit. You're addicted to one of the most powerful and insidious drugs in the world... I am too. Soak that up because as soon as you fully grasp that idea you will understand that there is NO going back.

Own it.
Freedom is the payoff...

Offline Candoit

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • The Candy Man
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2018, 10:53:02 AM »
July 24th, 2014, 10:59 am #6 - Erussel
Can do it,
I love that name....... Like w2w said above if We can you can. I was once just like you, trying to quit and happened up on this site. I too made an intro that resonated more hope than confidence. As rebel said you need to increase your confidence, and I see you've done just that. Posting role just made the day fool proof for you if you are a man of your word and I am sure that you are. Way to go committing yourself to a better life ODAAT. Your a bad ass now so hold on and enjoy the ride. Try like hell to remember every bit of this pain and agony, one day it will be a good reminder. Post in this thread often to keep a good log. There are some strong quitters in your group such as lim (he and I post together every day) reach out to some of them and join the brotherhood. I quit with you.

Offline Candoit

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • The Candy Man
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2018, 10:52:31 AM »
July 23rd, 2014, 9:20 pm #5 - Menace
Candoit,

You need to first get your mind right with this quit. You can't do this for anyone but yourself. A side benefit is that it also benefits your family and friends but you quit for you period! This will suck until it doesn't! That is the price you pay for your addiction. We are all addicts, we have all been through this shit. You follow the KTC regimen and you will be quit for good because it is fool proof. (I am proof of that) Post roll, keep your promise to stay nicotine free for 24 hours and do it the next morning. If you are a man of your word it can't fail. Welcome to the Asylum!

Offline Candoit

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • The Candy Man
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2018, 10:51:38 AM »
 July 23rd, 2014, 9:16 pm #4 - Brian85
Agree with a lot of what was said. Quit for yourself. Quit with the titans. Post roll daily don't give up. Come here for support when needed. Get some phone numbers. Get kakao and join the group its usually pretty quick to getting support. You can do this just as I am. I believe in you. There is a bumpy road ahead fortunately you have brothers and sisters to lean on to get you through these times.

Offline Candoit

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • The Candy Man
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2018, 10:51:03 AM »
July 23rd, 2014, 9:16 pm #3 by Rebel346
This is a great place to start but you better get some more confidence.

There are tons of things you can try, sunflower seeds, herbal fake snuff (see the reviews on the site), carrots, celery, suckers, whatever. Just don't put that friggin poison in your mouth again.

You need it to be different this time, then make it different! Did you print and read the contract??? If you did then that should be pretty damned sufficient to help you make this quit different.

Check your pm's

Offline Candoit

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • The Candy Man
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2018, 10:48:39 AM »
July 23rd, 2014, 9:10 pm #2
I was confronted by my wife this morning. And I have been thinking of quitting, but I find that I can not find the will power to follow through. It is usually a stressful event or situation that I go running for a tin. I know that I am addicted to the oral part of this habit. I can not stand chewing gum so I find it hard to find something to replace the sensation. I have tried life savers (wintergreen) to replicate the taste and feel, but I end up chewing them and go through a bag in about 3 hours. Any tips and support in this area would be great.

I have been using on and off since college. I ALWAYS fall off.... But I need this to be different for me and my relationship. I want to prove that I can do it to myself and my wife.

Thanks
Worktowin -
You are an addict. To a substance as addictive as heroin.

You can chew sequoia trees or a turkey leg, but the hard fact is that the first few days - about 3 - are flat out hell. You are going through withdrawal of a powerful neurotoxin. Here is done good news... You do not NEED nicotine to live. Your brain will try to trick you into thinking that you do... But the only thing nicotine helps is taking away the withdrawal of not using nicotine. One more thing... Yeah it blows at first, but you'll only go thru it once.

Here we quit one day at a time. Today you quit for today. You put your name on the October roll and by god you keep your word. You do not let yourself or your brothers down. You don't have regret about yesterday, or worry about tomorrow. Your brothers (and a sister or 2) will support you just as you support them. You can go this bud. If I can, you sure as hell can.

Your wife loves you. She cares. But you will have to quit because you want to and are ready to quit. If I can help, don't hesitate to let me know.

Offline Candoit

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • The Candy Man
This Time Is For Real
« on: September 17, 2018, 10:45:54 AM »
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 06:20:36 PM by Candoit »