Author Topic: General Discussion - 2015  (Read 47050 times)

Offline JB65

• Quitting MoFo
  • Lennie and Henry
  • Quit Date: August 17, 2015
  • Likes Given: 4
Re: General Discussion - 2015
« Reply #805 on: December 22, 2015, 10:40:00 AM »
Quote from: KingNothing
Quote from: whiteman
The only reason I asked was because my doctor brought up nicotine replacement when I told him I was quitting.
You don't need nicotine to quit nicotine Whitey. Trust me and trust the close to 30,000 other people on this site. We've done it with no NRT. How stupid is that name anyway? Nicotine Replacement Therapy? First, you're not replacing nicotine, but you're still introducing it into your system, just through a different method. Second, what the hell kind of therapy is killing yourself?

You can do this man. It's not always going to be easy, but you will never regret being on this side of the fence.
What King said... for sure.

Get the SUCK over with now. NRT just prolongs the inevitable. You are going to have to quit it altogether someday. Why not just do it now? If an old 30+ year dipper like me can do it, you certainly can bro. Join us and set yourself free!

Offline KingNothing

• Master of Quit
  • Quit Date: 2015-07-10
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #804 on: December 21, 2015, 11:33:00 AM »
The only reason I asked was because my doctor brought up nicotine replacement when I told him I was quitting.
You don't need nicotine to quit nicotine Whitey. Trust me and trust the close to 30,000 other people on this site. We've done it with no NRT. How stupid is that name anyway? Nicotine Replacement Therapy? First, you're not replacing nicotine, but you're still introducing it into your system, just through a different method. Second, what the hell kind of therapy is killing yourself?

You can do this man. It's not always going to be easy, but you will never regret being on this side of the fence.
"Fuck nicotine dude. You don't need it. And you don't want it. It didn't do a thing for you and you know it." - worktowin
"today you dissided that shit wont control your life. and it wont. unless you let it." - drome
"Not thinking about nicotine is for people who've never used nicotine. We threw that option away with the first dip or drag on a cigarette. We are addicts, and cannot become un-addicted." - wildirish317
"You need to decide how much you really want to be quit." - pky1520
We are always at risk. And probably always will be. That is why I will never get "too quit" to post my +1. Every. Damn. Day. - geis2597

Intro
Freedom Tastes So Good

Quit: 7/10/15, HOF: 10/17/15, 2nd Floor: 1/25/16, 3rd Floor: 5/4/16, 1 year: 7/10/16 4th Floor: 8/12/16, 5th Floor: 11/20/16, 6th Floor: 2/28/17, 7th Floor: 6/8/17, 2 years: 7/10/17, 8th Floor: 9/16/17, 9th Floor: 12/25/17, Comma: 4/4/18, 3 years: 7/10/18, 11th Floor: 7/13/18

Offline whiteman

« Reply #803 on: December 21, 2015, 06:59:00 AM »

Offline Nomore1959

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quit King
  • Likes Given: 329
« Reply #802 on: December 20, 2015, 03:26:00 PM »
I have a question. Today is my day 1 and I was wondering if anybody tried the nicotine gum when they were quitting and if it was helpful?
First, this site is a cold turkey site. No nicotine use at all.

As far as nicotine replacement, all a step down or replacement does is prolong the pain. At some point you will stop ingesting nicotine, that is when the suck of physical withdrawal starts. It is 72 hours or so after that before you are free from physical presence of nicotine and healing truly begins.

The most common issue is anxiety, and doctors can treat that directly without putting poison in your system.

Offline whiteman

« Reply #801 on: December 20, 2015, 01:48:00 PM »
I have a question. Today is my day 1 and I was wondering if anybody tried the nicotine gum when they were quitting and if it was helpful?

Offline Murmur71

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2015-07-06
« Reply #800 on: December 17, 2015, 06:49:00 PM »
Quote from: Stranger999
Quote from: Garrett
So I don't know about any of the Tobaccoless snuses, I want to try them but how do any of you feel about the Strong mint flavored toothpics to help mitigate those cravings?
On day one and I'm real nervous about tomorrow but I threw away all my nic cans, so lets do this
I'd say anything that you use to keep that filth out of your mouth is perfect. I went with sugarless gum and sunflower seeds. I'm told dipping cotton balls can help. It's really up to each individual to figure out what works best for them. There are some fake alternatives that I never tried but there are reviews on the KTC front page. B)B
Hey Garrett. Stranger is right, whatever helps you through it, but I'll add my two cents anyway.

I used the fake stuff for a month or so. I still keep some in the drawer just in case. For me it was the Smokey Mountain Wintergreen. Do yourself a favor and order a bunch of it on amazon or online somewhere. Don't risk going into a Wal-Mart or convenience store to ask for it. I did and about had a nervous breakdown staring at all the real stuff.

I still don't venture into gas stations anymore - and it's been 165 days for me.

Drink loads of water, stay away from alcohol, put together a list of chores - stay fucking busy. Then go to bed early. Keep this site open on a window on your computer. Read the stories, venture into other quit groups, use the chat feature. We've all been there. We know your pain. If you want to get pissed, get pissed at one of us - we can take it.

That's the equation that worked best for me, and still does.

It does get easier, I promise you. I still think about it - but man, I'm damn proud of my 165 day number and going back to 1 just isn't an option.

Offline Stranger999

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • Quit Date: 09/05/2015
  • Interests: Taking that first breath every morning before I post roll again.... Family, Philadelphia Eagles football, music, computers, solving puzzles of all sorts
  • Likes Given: 244
« Reply #799 on: December 17, 2015, 02:51:00 AM »
Quote from: Garrett
So I don't know about any of the Tobaccoless snuses, I want to try them but how do any of you feel about the Strong mint flavored toothpics to help mitigate those cravings?
On day one and I'm real nervous about tomorrow but I threw away all my nic cans, so lets do this
I'd say anything that you use to keep that filth out of your mouth is perfect. I went with sugarless gum and sunflower seeds. I'm told dipping cotton balls can help. It's really up to each individual to figure out what works best for them. There are some fake alternatives that I never tried but there are reviews on the KTC front page. B)B

Offline Garrett A

• Quit Date: 2015-12-19
« Reply #798 on: December 17, 2015, 02:40:00 AM »

Offline Idaho Spuds

• Quit Pro
  • Quit Date: August 18, 2014
  • Interests: Family, Soccer, fishing, hunting, camping
  • Likes Given: 71
« Reply #797 on: December 15, 2015, 11:27:00 AM »
Quote from: JMacBigQuit
As new quitters, and long time bad ass quitters, at lease for me, I hate the dentist. I have probably avoided the dentist for 18 months, and now I have built up a crazy nervousness about it that I can't even call the damn dentist. How did you get over it and just go in. We all as dippers have felt around in our mouths over the years and pondered, freaked out, straight up lost it because of a bump, a cut, a mark or really anything that wasn't just as it was the last time we looked. How do you put this fear away, sack up, and just go to the dentist. Someone help me!
I'll simply say this...

What's scarier... the dentist or cancer?

Make the call. Go in, get some peace of mind. You'll be glad you did.

Thanks man, making the call on Monday when they are open again.
The mind can be a lot scarier than reality. Get to the dentist, tell them you quit, tell them about KTC. They will give you a good look over and then you will be able to sleep at night.

Offline JMacBigQuit

« Reply #796 on: December 12, 2015, 09:51:00 AM »
As new quitters, and long time bad ass quitters, at lease for me, I hate the dentist. I have probably avoided the dentist for 18 months, and now I have built up a crazy nervousness about it that I can't even call the damn dentist. How did you get over it and just go in. We all as dippers have felt around in our mouths over the years and pondered, freaked out, straight up lost it because of a bump, a cut, a mark or really anything that wasn't just as it was the last time we looked. How do you put this fear away, sack up, and just go to the dentist. Someone help me!
I'll simply say this...

What's scarier... the dentist or cancer?

Make the call. Go in, get some peace of mind. You'll be glad you did.

Thanks man, making the call on Monday when they are open again.

Offline Nomore1959

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quit King
  • Likes Given: 329
« Reply #795 on: December 12, 2015, 08:35:00 AM »
Quote from: shawnnnnn
Quote from: Idaho
Alright starting the quit today, threw away all the cans and got my herbal cans in the mail this morning, so here we go.
Best decision you will ever make. Did you post roll yet? That is your promise to yourself and your fellow quitters to not use nicotine for one day.
No I haven't how do I do that?
Go to the March Quit group, here: topic/11424456/103/

Make sure you are on the last page. Say hi. Roll is the big repeated post, it has a link with instructions... give it a try. It takes most of us a few days to get it right, so give it your best shot.

Post roll every morning when you wake up, then quit for that day.

Offline shawnnnnn

• Quit Date: 2015-12-12
« Reply #794 on: December 12, 2015, 03:10:00 AM »
Quote from: Idaho
Alright starting the quit today, threw away all the cans and got my herbal cans in the mail this morning, so here we go.
Best decision you will ever make. Did you post roll yet? That is your promise to yourself and your fellow quitters to not use nicotine for one day.
No I haven't how do I do that?

Offline RNC

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2015-11-29
« Reply #793 on: December 11, 2015, 07:21:00 PM »
I avoided the dentist for much, much longer than 18 months. It was 7 years actually and when I finally went again in 2014 I had 22 fillings done over the course of 3 days (not fun). Many of them were along the gum line from teeth grinding damage but surely the 7 years of prior dipping did not help.

And I finally visited the dentist again earlier this week after quitting. Just do it. Be honest, they have seen everything before and will know how to deal with any issues. In my case, the dentist visit stopped my extreme anxiety (which unfortunately triggered a craving, "I'm all right after all...") but my roll post from that morning shut the craving down.

Offline Idaho Spuds

• Quit Pro
  • Quit Date: August 18, 2014
  • Interests: Family, Soccer, fishing, hunting, camping
  • Likes Given: 71
« Reply #792 on: December 11, 2015, 04:22:00 PM »

Offline shawnnnnn

• Quit Date: 2015-12-12
« Reply #791 on: December 11, 2015, 04:19:00 PM »