Author Topic: General Discussion - 2017  (Read 35890 times)

Offline cwake30

• Quitter
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: General Discussion - 2017
« Reply #433 on: September 20, 2017, 05:05:00 PM »
Could someone make a KTC app for smartphones?

Just a thought as I think it would be an awesome idea

Offline CB1612

• Quit Date: 2017-09-18
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #432 on: September 20, 2017, 10:00:00 AM »
Hello everyone. I can't tell you how excited I was to come across this website. It was from here where I made the decision to rid myself of this nasty habit. It has plagued me since college and i believe that this addiction prevented me from enjoying a full and happy life. A part of me also feels that I chose this over the life I could of had with my ex fiancé. I'd do anything to take it all back and still be with her.

I want my life back and I won't stop fighting.

CB

Offline MJW

• Quitter
« Reply #431 on: September 19, 2017, 09:59:00 PM »
Quote from: batdad
Quote from: mrwest713
New guy here. Made the decision to quit yesterday. I have hurt my family too many times with my lies. I always go back to the can. But not this time. I can tell this website is the place to be.

Matt - Day 2
Welcome to the best choice you will make all day!!

It looks like you jumped in already with a roll post and starting an intro. That's great!!

Wake up tomorrow and repeat!

Glad to quit with you today!
Good Job man and glad to quit with you as well. Just about to finish my first week (including a business trip) nic free in 20 years and it feels unreal. Keep it up man!

Offline Batdad

• Quit Asshole
  • Moderator (Retired)
  • Quit King
  • Churning the KTC Dookie Butter
  • Quit Date: 01/03/2017
  • Interests: Quitting!
  • Likes Given: 1068
« Reply #430 on: September 19, 2017, 04:51:00 PM »
Quote from: mrwest713
New guy here. Made the decision to quit yesterday. I have hurt my family too many times with my lies. I always go back to the can. But not this time. I can tell this website is the place to be.

Matt - Day 2
Welcome to the best choice you will make all day!!

It looks like you jumped in already with a roll post and starting an intro. That's great!!

Wake up tomorrow and repeat!

Glad to quit with you today!
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Offline mrwest713

• Quit Date: 2017-09-18
« Reply #429 on: September 19, 2017, 11:56:00 AM »

Matt - Day 2

Offline Kdip

• Administrator
  • Master of Quit
  • Interests: Quitting and helping others quit, riding my motorcycle, baseball, football, old furniture restoration, junk collecting, vintage arcade machines, rafting, tubing, camping, my family and dog
  • Likes Given: 295
« Reply #428 on: September 15, 2017, 03:05:00 PM »
Quote from: MJW
Quote from: pky1520
Hey guys,

Just decided to quit today after 22 years of dipping. My brother started 10 years ago and is going through some medical issues now related to dipping. I'm a traveling salesman so I'm scared as hell I will never give myself the opportunity to stop. The crazy thing is when I'm home I can stop "cold turkey" but when I hit the road it's the first thing I want to do. I have 4 young kids and just want to be free of this crap for good. Decided I was done today like I said and have two nights planned on the road next week. Anyone give me some good advice? Should I buy Nicorette or something?

BTW, how do you start a new post??

MJW
Congrats on the decision MJW!

First of all, no to the nicorette. Gum, patches, etc. won't to anything to help you quit - it's just a different delivery method for the same drug. You'll prolong your withdrawal and be miserable, without actually doing anything to allow your body to start healing.

This is going to sound stupidly obvious, but just don't dip. Next time you get the urge to throw in a dip, do something else. Go for a walk, eat a ham sandwich, take off your shoe and throw it at a pigeon... whatever floats your boat. The more times you do that in a row, the easier it gets. Eventually, you won't feel the need to dip anymore.

At KTC, we operate on a One Day At A Time principle. Quit today, just today, and worry about tomorrow when it gets here. Anyone can go without dipping for one day. Withdrawal is unpleasant, but it won't physically harm you, so get through the immediate crave and don't worry about the future. We have a system called "Posting Roll." In the Quit Group forum at this site, you post a promise every single day, first thing, that you will not use any nicotine product. You have to keep that promise and then make it again the next day. Specific instructions can be found on those pages.

Additionally, by doing that, you'll have access to a deep and committed support  information network. It's a great place to vent, commiserate and learn about the quitting process. I realize that it sounds a little weird to make a promise to a bunch of strangers on the internet, but I promise you that it is effective. Quitting is achievable, you can do it and it is worth it.

I posted day 501 today. I'm not special, I just used the tools here to my advantage. I hope you choose to do the same. Reach out if I can help.
Appreciate that response very much. I posted roll for the first time today and going to commit to making sure it's the first thing I do every morning. After being on this site today I can truly fell that this first trip is going to be a little easier knowing the support is out there. Throwing a shoe at a pigeon made me laugh my ass off. Talk soon!
Posted Roll already and ready to conquer Day 2! Good to quit with all you folks today!
Congrats on the best decision you will ever make. I too am in sales and cover portions of 4 states. Driving long trips in the truck between calls used to be prime dipping time for me. I would punch in the top of a Diet Coke can and the nasty thing would often be overflowing with brown shit by the time I got to the next call. I would park away from the guard shack so I could dump that vile shit in the parking lot unseen. Then half of the folks I would call on in the plant usually had a turd in their lip. I am proud to be 9 years free of that crap. It will be a difficult road but its WORTH it to get that monkey out of your life. Use the tools we have here and get involved with both feet and you WILL quit!!!! Life is way better without the can!!!!!! My gums were a mess but otherwise I dodged a bullet quitting when I did. If you need anything or have any questions shoot me a PM and I will give you my number.

Kdip - 3301

Offline MJW

• Quitter
« Reply #427 on: September 15, 2017, 06:28:00 AM »
Hey guys,

Just decided to quit today after 22 years of dipping. My brother started 10 years ago and is going through some medical issues now related to dipping. I'm a traveling salesman so I'm scared as hell I will never give myself the opportunity to stop. The crazy thing is when I'm home I can stop "cold turkey" but when I hit the road it's the first thing I want to do. I have 4 young kids and just want to be free of this crap for good. Decided I was done today like I said and have two nights planned on the road next week. Anyone give me some good advice? Should I buy Nicorette or something?

MJW

First of all, no to the nicorette. Gum, patches, etc. won't to anything to help you quit - it's just a different delivery method for the same drug. You'll prolong your withdrawal and be miserable, without actually doing anything to allow your body to start healing.

This is going to sound stupidly obvious, but just don't dip. Next time you get the urge to throw in a dip, do something else. Go for a walk, eat a ham sandwich, take off your shoe and throw it at a pigeon... whatever floats your boat. The more times you do that in a row, the easier it gets. Eventually, you won't feel the need to dip anymore.

At KTC, we operate on a One Day At A Time principle. Quit today, just today, and worry about tomorrow when it gets here. Anyone can go without dipping for one day. Withdrawal is unpleasant, but it won't physically harm you, so get through the immediate crave and don't worry about the future. We have a system called "Posting Roll." In the Quit Group forum at this site, you post a promise every single day, first thing, that you will not use any nicotine product. You have to keep that promise and then make it again the next day. Specific instructions can be found on those pages.

Additionally, by doing that, you'll have access to a deep and committed support  information network. It's a great place to vent, commiserate and learn about the quitting process. I realize that it sounds a little weird to make a promise to a bunch of strangers on the internet, but I promise you that it is effective. Quitting is achievable, you can do it and it is worth it.

I posted day 501 today. I'm not special, I just used the tools here to my advantage. I hope you choose to do the same. Reach out if I can help.
Appreciate that response very much. I posted roll for the first time today and going to commit to making sure it's the first thing I do every morning. After being on this site today I can truly fell that this first trip is going to be a little easier knowing the support is out there. Throwing a shoe at a pigeon made me laugh my ass off. Talk soon!
Posted Roll already and ready to conquer Day 2! Good to quit with all you folks today!

Offline MJW

• Quitter
« Reply #426 on: September 14, 2017, 05:03:00 PM »
Hey guys,

MJW

Offline pky1520

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quitting MoFo
  • Quit Date: May 2, 2016
  • Interests: Hunting, fishing
  • Likes Given: 84
« Reply #425 on: September 14, 2017, 10:37:00 AM »
Hey guys,

MJW

Offline MJW

• Quitter
« Reply #424 on: September 14, 2017, 08:17:00 AM »
Hey guys,

MJW

Offline Ron_Cross

• Quitter
  • I am quit
  • Quit Date: 8/30/2013
  • Interests: Started my own CPA firm!
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #423 on: September 13, 2017, 08:04:00 PM »
Quote from: IowaFFguy
Quote from: DonkeyMN
Quote from: Samrs
Quote from: Quit102017
Hope all is well... I'm going to give all my willpower and try to quit this stuff. Today, of all days, should be a good day to quit. I have no idea how busy these forums are but I felt the need to put my hopes down somewhere... I thought it might give me that little extra bit of motivation to get me over the hump and really quit. I threw away any cans I had laying around, and I made a little calendar going though the end of the month so I can look forward to crossing out each day Im clear of this disgusting stuff. If any of you have tips I would love to hear them. Thanks for this resource!
Quit - I recommend you read Here's How You Quit... Ball Is In Your Court Now. That gives you a rundown of what's up here at KTC. There is so, so much more here than just a couple of message boards.

Once you've got that, head on over to the [December]topic/30321153/]December quit group[/url] and post roll. Roll is our way of promising each other that we will not have nicotine for the day. We post roll every day here. Our system is pretty simple. Wake up, post roll, and keep your word for the day. Then, the next day, do it all over again. If you make that promise early - first thing every morning - and commit to making it every day, no matter what, then your chances of staying quit will go up exponentially.

I really, really recommend getting plugged in over in December. These first few days are rough, and getting involved in your quit group will help immensely.
Samrs laid it out really well, but I'll reiterate that making the promise is much more impactful than simply crossing off days. Being accountable to others is more impactful than simply trying to use your own willpower. Beating this addiction will require everything you've got, but the tools here will make it more manageable.

It can be done though. I posted Day 499 today. You can get there too.

Hope to see you post up in December.
Hope you come back to read this today. Go and post your promise in the December group to the people that are quitting today with you. Post it to them, post it to me, to Samrs, to Pky and to YOURSELF.

You quit for yourself, and have some pride in it, you will have success. Every Damn Day

I quit with you today, DonkeyMN-225
I quit yesterday (caffeine as well). It's been really really weird. My head hurts, my brain is foggy, I can't focus on anything, but I know its a good thing. I have been hammering water and it seems to help. I know my body will thank me when all the chemicals are flushed out of me.
I made quit a few changes 4 years ago. Quitting nicotine is one of the best you will ever make. I was able to lose a ton of weight. Recommend if you drink booze you lay off it. Improve your eating habits but make sure you eat. Make sure you get the rest you need. I felt anger or rage many times but the only good anger to rage against the poison you are addicted too. I also locked myself in my office for the first 3 days. You don't have to be lonely. You have hundreds and hundreds of brothers here to help you. Ron

Offline IowaFFguy

• Quitter
    • Support Benny's Fight Against Cancer
  • Quit Date: 09/11/2017
  • Interests: I enjoy hunting, fishing, mudding, shooting, and just the outdoors in general. I am married and have two children. I am also a volunteer firefighter.
  • Likes Given: 82
« Reply #422 on: September 12, 2017, 02:49:00 PM »
Quote from: DonkeyMN
Hope all is well... I'm going to give all my willpower and try to quit this stuff. Today, of all days, should be a good day to quit. I have no idea how busy these forums are but I felt the need to put my hopes down somewhere... I thought it might give me that little extra bit of motivation to get me over the hump and really quit. I threw away any cans I had laying around, and I made a little calendar going though the end of the month so I can look forward to crossing out each day Im clear of this disgusting stuff. If any of you have tips I would love to hear them. Thanks for this resource!
Quit - I recommend you read Here's How You Quit... Ball Is In Your Court Now. That gives you a rundown of what's up here at KTC. There is so, so much more here than just a couple of message boards.

Once you've got that, head on over to the [December]topic/30321153/]December quit group[/url] and post roll. Roll is our way of promising each other that we will not have nicotine for the day. We post roll every day here. Our system is pretty simple. Wake up, post roll, and keep your word for the day. Then, the next day, do it all over again. If you make that promise early - first thing every morning - and commit to making it every day, no matter what, then your chances of staying quit will go up exponentially.

I really, really recommend getting plugged in over in December. These first few days are rough, and getting involved in your quit group will help immensely.
Samrs laid it out really well, but I'll reiterate that making the promise is much more impactful than simply crossing off days. Being accountable to others is more impactful than simply trying to use your own willpower. Beating this addiction will require everything you've got, but the tools here will make it more manageable.

Hope you come back to read this today. Go and post your promise in the December group to the people that are quitting today with you. Post it to them, post it to me, to Samrs, to Pky and to YOURSELF.

You quit for yourself, and have some pride in it, you will have success. Every Damn Day

I quit yesterday (caffeine as well). It's been really really weird. My head hurts, my brain is foggy, I can't focus on anything, but I know its a good thing. I have been hammering water and it seems to help. I know my body will thank me when all the chemicals are flushed out of me.
The secret to long term success in quitting: ACCOUNTABILITY! ACCOUNTABILITY! ACCOUNTABILITY!

~"Their laughter will make your heart melt. Their strength will make a grown person cry. If you ever see a child fight cancer, it will change your life forever"~Keep fighting Brave Benny!

Support Benny's Fight Against Cancer

My HOF Speech....Read it!

My Intro

Offline DonkeyMN

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quitting MoFo
  • Quit Date: 01-31-2017
  • Likes Given: 574
« Reply #421 on: September 12, 2017, 09:53:00 AM »

To remain quit requires focus

Offline pky1520

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quitting MoFo
  • Quit Date: May 2, 2016
  • Interests: Hunting, fishing
  • Likes Given: 84
« Reply #420 on: September 12, 2017, 07:58:00 AM »

Offline Samrs

• GUD BOI!
  • Administrator
  • Master of Quit
  • Just freaking post roll, OK?
  • Quit Date: 10 Jan 2017
  • Interests: Writing, gaming (computer, tabletop, board and card), SF/Fantasy, hapkido.
  • Likes Given: 1561
« Reply #419 on: September 12, 2017, 07:31:00 AM »

"We have so much experience here in lying to ourselves and others, that it takes a strong voice to snap ourselves out of it... Be thankful that all these people are willing to be invested in you saving your life." -- drstober
"You're playing a game of chicken with a dead plant in a plastic can. If you cave you lost to a dead plant." -- Candoit
"The answer isn't more numbers. The answer is build relationships." -- Broccoli-saurus
"ok. now groop hug." -- 'drome
"The rule is WUPP (Wake Up Piss Post) regardless of time or zone, unless you are in the Phantom Zone.  In that case, hit up Jor-El and he can get you on roll." -- S412
My Intro - The Weight of Days - Mall Walking - Workin' it off in the Excercise Group