Author Topic: New Software: Questions, Comments and Concerns  (Read 80817 times)

Offline redtrain14

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Interests: Family, hunting, fishing, running, mountain biking, swimming, building shit, and anything else that sounds like fun.
  • Likes Given: 19
Re: New Software: Questions, Comments and Concerns
« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2018, 07:03:12 AM »
Looking good!!!!

Offline syndrome

• geezer squad
  • Master of Quit
  • you kids get off my yard
  • Quit Date: 11/13/08
  • Likes Given: 631
« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2018, 06:53:44 AM »
OK, for those of you who want to jump to the first unread post...

In a section (like Pre-HOF Groups) there are a list of subjects.

Some of those subjects will have a "New" button next to the subject name, ex:

Pre-HOF November 2018 Group New

That "New" image not only tells you that there are new messages under that subject, it is actually a link that will jump you to your first unread message in the subject if you click on it.

I am looking to see if there is some way to specify as a target in the URL (for people who want to bookmark links so that they always jump to whatever is new).

This is weird enough that it took me a couple of iterations to realize what I was seeing.

The following is an example of the a URL that links to the last read post in a topic:

http://forum.killthecan.org/index.php?topic=58.msg847#new

The number '58' there is the topic number.  No matter what topic number you're talking about, appending ".msg847#new" to the topic number will take you to the first unread post in the topic.

For example - the URL to come to the first post in this topic is:

http://forum.killthecan.org/index.php?topic=25.0

If you change the ".0" at the end of the URL to ".msg847#new", ex:

http://forum.killthecan.org/index.php?topic=25.msg847#new

... you will have a URL that you can bookmark, and which will always take you to the first unread post in this topic.

this is awesome been trying to figure this out too
man i just thot that 'new' thing meant there were new posts in the thred. i will hafta check it out.

Offline Samrs

• GUD BOI!
  • Administrator
  • Master of Quit
  • Just freaking post roll, OK?
  • Quit Date: 10 Jan 2017
  • Interests: Writing, gaming (computer, tabletop, board and card), SF/Fantasy, hapkido.
  • Likes Given: 1561
« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2018, 01:30:56 AM »
For folks interested in retrieving their old signatures, stuff saved in their intro, etc. - the previous site is still available at https://archive.killthecan.org

"We have so much experience here in lying to ourselves and others, that it takes a strong voice to snap ourselves out of it... Be thankful that all these people are willing to be invested in you saving your life." -- drstober
"You're playing a game of chicken with a dead plant in a plastic can. If you cave you lost to a dead plant." -- Candoit
"The answer isn't more numbers. The answer is build relationships." -- Broccoli-saurus
"ok. now groop hug." -- 'drome
"The rule is WUPP (Wake Up Piss Post) regardless of time or zone, unless you are in the Phantom Zone.  In that case, hit up Jor-El and he can get you on roll." -- S412
My Intro - The Weight of Days - Mall Walking - Workin' it off in the Excercise Group

Offline D2maine

• Quitting MoFo
  • Quit Date: quit 2-19-2012!
  • Likes Given: 95
« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2018, 01:17:16 AM »

That "New" image not only tells you that there are new messages under that subject, it is actually a link that will jump you to your first unread message in the subject if you click on it.

I am looking to see if there is some way to specify as a target in the URL (for people who want to bookmark links so that they always jump to whatever is new).

This is weird enough that it took me a couple of iterations to realize what I was seeing.

The following is an example of the a URL that links to the last read post in a topic:

The number '58' there is the topic number.  No matter what topic number you're talking about, appending ".msg847#new" to the topic number will take you to the first unread post in the topic.

... you will have a URL that you can bookmark, and which will always take you to the first unread post in this topic.

this is awesome been trying to figure this out too

Offline Samrs

• GUD BOI!
  • Administrator
  • Master of Quit
  • Just freaking post roll, OK?
  • Quit Date: 10 Jan 2017
  • Interests: Writing, gaming (computer, tabletop, board and card), SF/Fantasy, hapkido.
  • Likes Given: 1561
« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2018, 12:41:36 AM »

"We have so much experience here in lying to ourselves and others, that it takes a strong voice to snap ourselves out of it... Be thankful that all these people are willing to be invested in you saving your life." -- drstober
"You're playing a game of chicken with a dead plant in a plastic can. If you cave you lost to a dead plant." -- Candoit
"The answer isn't more numbers. The answer is build relationships." -- Broccoli-saurus
"ok. now groop hug." -- 'drome
"The rule is WUPP (Wake Up Piss Post) regardless of time or zone, unless you are in the Phantom Zone.  In that case, hit up Jor-El and he can get you on roll." -- S412
My Intro - The Weight of Days - Mall Walking - Workin' it off in the Excercise Group

Offline MattyB

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quit Pro
  • January ‘18 F.U.R.Y.
  • Quit Date: 10/23/2017
  • Likes Given: 84
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2018, 06:34:03 PM »
Actually, you have a drop list of emojis right next to the Re: line.  See the one above I put a thumbs up.  I love liking my own posts. 
Not Batdad
This isn’t the best but will suffice until we ie the admods can breathe and worry about the small stuff

Offline MattyB

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quit Pro
  • January ‘18 F.U.R.Y.
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2018, 06:30:14 PM »
Actually, you have a drop list of emojis right next to the Re: line.  See the one above I put a thumbs up.  I love liking my own posts. 
Not Batdad

Offline FISHFLORIDA

• AUG 16' Traumatizer
  • Administrator
  • Quitting MoFo
  • The Adventures of Florida Man
  • Quit Date: 5/24/16
  • Interests: Saltwater Flyfishing
  • Likes Given: 1528
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2018, 05:59:07 PM »
Not Batdad
Just one is right back to where you were and where you were was desperately wishing you were where you are now.- Via Flip
"But KNOW that quitting every day means that eventually you'll have to quit on the day Lassie kicks the bucket" - ZAM
My Intro
My HOF Speech

Offline FISHFLORIDA

• AUG 16' Traumatizer
  • Administrator
  • Quitting MoFo
  • The Adventures of Florida Man
  • Quit Date: 5/24/16
  • Interests: Saltwater Flyfishing
  • Likes Given: 1528
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2018, 05:47:58 PM »
Also, is it possible to get a 'like" button back?
Roger Jan18 found it

That's awesome
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 05:58:06 PM by FISHFLORIDA »
Just one is right back to where you were and where you were was desperately wishing you were where you are now.- Via Flip
"But KNOW that quitting every day means that eventually you'll have to quit on the day Lassie kicks the bucket" - ZAM
My Intro
My HOF Speech

Offline MattyB

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quit Pro
  • January ‘18 F.U.R.Y.
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2018, 05:21:10 PM »
Also, is it possible to get a 'like" button back?
Roger Jan18 found it

« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 06:08:36 PM by FISHFLORIDA »

Offline MattyB

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quit Pro
  • January ‘18 F.U.R.Y.
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2018, 05:19:53 PM »
Nice look and feel handles well. Say, are you boys outa pocket on this?
Seriously, I'm willing to help offset the cost.  I'll commit Skolvikings to $1000 right now....

Offline Athan

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • Addict
  • Quit Date: January 1 2018
  • Interests: GodFamilyCountry
  • Likes Given: 1652
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2018, 04:37:28 PM »
To all the cork soakers complaining out there - you're entitled to a full refund:
Ratings based on Federal Quitting Guide 13 CFR 36.3409 and current market conditions.  Appraisal  of quit is final and cannot be repealed, revoked, canceled, or challenged.  Formal disputes will result in immediate forfeiture of prize money.  Kill The Can makes no warranty, express or implied of the aforementioned transaction and cannot be held liable for final disposition of said quit.  By accepting the cash balance, recipient agrees to the terms and conditions herein forthwith to wit and is responsible for all taxes, fees, liens. Etc. etc. All refund requests must be notarized and submitted in writing in triplicate from an undisclosed mailbox in Madagascar. Postage is responsibility of sender and will not be refunded. Allow four to six years for a reply.
"I hope you find a thousand reasons to quit today" Rawls
"I can't quit for you. I will quit with you" Ready
"There are two dogs in the fight, which one are you feeding?" SuperDave9000
"In the Navy we had morning muster. You never miss muster. You better be dead if you miss. If you are dying, you should have started crawling earlier, no excuse." Olcpo

The Science of Addiction
The Law of Addiction
The Road Called Recovery
My Intro and HOF Speech
Quitters I've met: Cbird, UncleRico, Gregor, KDip, Broccoli-saurus, Croakenhagen, BriagG, Koba, Kodiakdeath, Arrakisdq, McDave, Worktowin, SkolVikings, JGromo, GS9502, PaDutchman, Stillbrewing, A-Aron...
wildirish317
outdoortexan cancer

Offline Cochese598

• Quit Pro
  • Is this thing on?
  • Likes Given: 51
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2018, 02:26:36 PM »
i guess my only beef is after i post i get booted from say feb '09 to the 09 groups rather then stayin in feb 09. may be a settin? but this is way better then the tapaturd.

chewie man you no i got no intrist in bein a mod/admin but if you need any helpin out today i think you got my digits. for all my bitchin the last cuppel a days you no i love this place.

try this.....go to.. Profile >Forum Profile>Look and Layout> check the box that reads "return to topics after posting defaults" > go to bottom right of page and click on "Change Profile"
Proud Member of
  THE Underground Railroad of QUIT March 2018 

Offline quitNWinay

• Quit Pro
  • Quit Date: 7/18/2018, and every fuckin day ever since!
  • Likes Given: 498
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2018, 02:24:02 PM »
The Avatars look blurred... The resolution is scaled down to a lot lesser than it was before. Can we fix that? Thanks!

Like SamRS' dog looks totally blurry!!!
I am a caver...

Can't quit quitting!

Proud member of October 2018 Quit Group

Best soothing music when anxiety hits you hard - https://youtu.be/WFrAB5nBbNY

Offline quitNWinay

• Quit Pro
  • Quit Date: 7/18/2018, and every fuckin day ever since!
  • Likes Given: 498
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2018, 02:22:10 PM »
The Avatars look blurred... The resolution is scaled down to a lot lesser than it was before. Can we fix that? Thanks!
I am a caver...

Can't quit quitting!

Proud member of October 2018 Quit Group

Best soothing music when anxiety hits you hard - https://youtu.be/WFrAB5nBbNY