Author Topic: Long Time Reader, First Time Poster  (Read 1418 times)

Offline Evil_Won

• Quitting MoFo
  • Interests: none
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Long Time Reader, First Time Poster
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2012, 12:44:00 AM »
Quote from: 30yrAddict
Quote from: Evil_Won
Quote from: Bruce
Dean,

I'll catch shit for saying it, but fuck it. If you feel the need to be a troll in order to be quit, so be it. To each his own.

At times the guys in these forums can be hardcore, especially in Live Chat, and are flat out intimidating. I say troll if you want, but don't feel like you CAN'T post up and make a difference. Sometimes it's saying something in a slightly different way, the way only you can, that will get through to someone else and encourage them to quit or keep them from caving.

I have felt the exact same way, that I was unqualified to give support. What do I know? I'm only 52 days quit and a complete fucking mess in every aspect of my life! I have stepped in and given advice to newbies. I have given my phone number to countless guys on here. I have welcomed quitters after reading their intros and gave some tips and answered questions when I can.  Have I helped anyone? Beats the shit of me, but I feel better for trying.

Welcome to KTC. Check your Inbox for my number.
You gotta live hardcore, just to be hardcore
I beg to differ. You have to be quit. How you remain quit can be different for different people.
This battle with nicotine consumed my life for 33 or so years. When it was time for me to end it, I decided to bring all the firepower that I could into the battle. A daily roll post- at first a promise that I would claw my way through the day, doing whatever it took to stay quit. Now it is a daily reminder that I am an addict. Firepower. Then there are the times when I was struggling and I texted one of my quit brothers and they walked me through it, carrying me over the worst moments of the day. Firepower. Then there were the times that I had the honor of helping other quitters when they were struggling, increasing my own accountability, and reminding me of what those first few days were like- strengthening my resolve not to go through them ever again. Firepower.

The program here asks only three things: Post Roll, Honor your promise, Repeat. It doesn't ask any more than that. It is a one size fits all program- it works if you chose to follow it. I have seen too many think that only they knew what was best for them. More often than not, it does not end well.

By the time I got here, I was beaten down enough by my addiction that I was SURE that I didn't have the answers. After 657 days, I can tell you with dead certainty that this program works, it works as written. Go it alone if you choose, but you are missing out on a large part of the strength of this site. When you come into a fight for your life, you bring all of the firepower that you possibly can.
Per Remshot, Apr 29, 2012 from help/Announcements/Hall of Fame Speeches:
In an attempt to protect all that is sacred about the Hall of Fame, posting Roll Call on a regular basis is a requirement for speeches to be included in the Hall of Fame section. Quitters who choose not to quit "our way" are still welcome to use our resources, as we want everyone to quit.

We welcome the thoughts of those who use our resources along their journey to a successful quit; in fact we would like to encourage their contributions to our site. The administration team of Kill the Can has decided to put their speeches into the Introductions thread.
Where did in say that "trolls" would be belittled, beat down, and told to fuck off?
"Dunno about you HP, but LOOT doesn't like getting assfucked, by anyone....and certainly won't chalk it up to 'shit happens'."

Offline 30yraddict

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Quit Feb 13, 2011
  • Likes Given: 67
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2012, 07:12:00 AM »
Dean,

I'll catch shit for saying it, but fuck it. If you feel the need to be a troll in order to be quit, so be it. To each his own.

At times the guys in these forums can be hardcore, especially in Live Chat, and are flat out intimidating. I say troll if you want, but don't feel like you CAN'T post up and make a difference. Sometimes it's saying something in a slightly different way, the way only you can, that will get through to someone else and encourage them to quit or keep them from caving.

I have felt the exact same way, that I was unqualified to give support. What do I know? I'm only 52 days quit and a complete fucking mess in every aspect of my life! I have stepped in and given advice to newbies. I have given my phone number to countless guys on here. I have welcomed quitters after reading their intros and gave some tips and answered questions when I can.  Have I helped anyone? Beats the shit of me, but I feel better for trying.

I beg to differ. You have to be quit. How you remain quit can be different for different people.
This battle with nicotine consumed my life for 33 or so years. When it was time for me to end it, I decided to bring all the firepower that I could into the battle. A daily roll post- at first a promise that I would claw my way through the day, doing whatever it took to stay quit. Now it is a daily reminder that I am an addict. Firepower. Then there are the times when I was struggling and I texted one of my quit brothers and they walked me through it, carrying me over the worst moments of the day. Firepower. Then there were the times that I had the honor of helping other quitters when they were struggling, increasing my own accountability, and reminding me of what those first few days were like- strengthening my resolve not to go through them ever again. Firepower.

The program here asks only three things: Post Roll, Honor your promise, Repeat. It doesn't ask any more than that. It is a one size fits all program- it works if you chose to follow it. I have seen too many think that only they knew what was best for them. More often than not, it does not end well.

By the time I got here, I was beaten down enough by my addiction that I was SURE that I didn't have the answers. After 657 days, I can tell you with dead certainty that this program works, it works as written. Go it alone if you choose, but you are missing out on a large part of the strength of this site. When you come into a fight for your life, you bring all of the firepower that you possibly can.

Offline Evil_Won

• Quitting MoFo
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2012, 01:00:00 AM »
Dean,

"Dunno about you HP, but LOOT doesn't like getting assfucked, by anyone....and certainly won't chalk it up to 'shit happens'."

Offline Bruce

• Quit Pro
    • www.facebook.com
  • Quit Date: 2011-11-21
  • Interests: Long walks on the beach, cuddling up next to that special someone in front of a fire, just watching the sunset, and titty bars.
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2012, 12:09:00 AM »
Dean,

I have felt the exact same way, that I was unqualified to give support. What do I know? I'm only 52 days quit and a complete fucking mess in every aspect of my life! I have stepped in and given advice to newbies. I have given my phone number to countless guys on here. I have welcomed quitters after reading their intros and gave some tips and answered questions when I can. Have I helped anyone? Beats the shit of me, but I feel better for trying.

Quit date: 11/21/11
HOF date: 2/28/12
Comma date: 8/16/14
It's a freedom thing

Caving is NOT an option

-"Now I can walk through walls and my quit can talk to god. That's right. Crazy voodoo magic quit" Souliman

-'Stop being a pussy and quit' Tarpon17

-"this is the gheyest place on earth, if you say it in here it might become someones signature" Bigwhitebeast

- "We Quit Like Fuck" - Coach Steve

Offline Evil_Won

• Quitting MoFo
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2012, 11:52:00 PM »
Dean,

I have felt the exact same way, that I was unqualified to give support. What do I know? I'm only 52 days quit and a complete fucking mess in every aspect of my life! I have stepped in and given advice to newbies. I have given my phone number to countless guys on here. I have welcomed quitters after reading their intros and gave some tips and answered questions when I can. Have I helped anyone? Beats the shit of me, but I feel better for trying.

Offline kana

• Quitter
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2012, 11:27:00 PM »
Deanszam - Ya, what they said. Finally I get to say it! Don't get all butt hurt!! I'll be at the midget races!!
we choose our battles.. the battles we do fight, be aware that they have to be, but passion rules? James Hetfield

Offline redtrain14

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Interests: Family, hunting, fishing, running, mountain biking, swimming, building shit, and anything else that sounds like fun.
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, 12:42:00 PM »
Welcome and congrats!

Post up, get involved, get to know your quit brothers, and read, read, read.

Offline Sharsky

• Quitter
  • Uh huh huh huh huh huh
  • Quit Date: 10/12/12
  • Interests: Camping, Biking (mountain and road), BBQ'ing, and puppy activities
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 12:30:00 PM »
First off....congrats on 50 days. I quit the same day as you did on Oct. 12th......

Second off...CoachDoc is right, it is your call, no doubt about it. And, with the nest analogy.

I would urge you though to give some thought about listening to all the vets. Guessing you have read on here the key is posting roll daily, giving your word to not use nicotine, and how powerful that is.

Coach is just trying to emphasize how key that there 'posting roll' process is, and how that accountability is a significant factor in a strong quit.

As Coach stated though Dean...your call.
January '13 Jackwagins
Quit Date:  October 12, 2012

Offline CoachDoc

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2010-02-24
  • Interests: Coaching football/baseball, reading, hiking, kayaking, camping, watching my 4 sons grow up
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 11:35:00 AM »
Quote from: deanszam
Quote from: CoachDoc
My name is Dean from Minnesota, I had been chewing tobacco for 23 years at about a tin a day. Today, I have finally reached day 50, halfway up the mountain. It has been tough, but reading the posts and stories on Kill The Can.ORG has strengthen my resolve during my low points. Like to say thanks to all, I don't think I could of made this far without this website and forum.
Dean, I'm glad you have met with some success. I'm glad that you have found strength in what you have taken from here. I am, however, disappointed in the fact that you have said that you take strength from all the hard work, effort and commitment these quitters on KTC have put forth, yet what have you contributed back to all of those others like you that have come looking for the support to be successful?

If you've truly read and understand what goes n=on here, how can you come in here on day 50 to say thanks, knowing that we all rely on one another for our successes? How have you contributed to MY success? To the success of that fresh baby bird that caved at day 13 who would have been in your class and who maybe you could have connected with and help change his mind about choosing to cave?

Sure, this might sound unfair for me to be busting on someone who is 50 days in and seems to be doing well, but I just read right before this, something in the words of wisdom posted by razd611 (someone who certainly helped me in MY quit and taught me to return that support):

index.php?showtopic=7486

This isn't just about YOU (meaning each and every one of us, as individuals). This is about US - QUITTERS.

Semper Fi

CoachDoc
Sorry you feel disappointed, CoachDoc, but through these first 50 days I had felt under qualified and insecure about posting on this forum, as this is the first time I have done become part of a forum. I felt I needed to battle and conquer my on demons before I could lend someone with knowledgeable support. I was really proud of myself today, since I did this with no family support or understanding in what I was going through. Around day 20 my wife asked when was I going to quit the smokeless alternative, that hurt a bit since she couldn't see the bigger picture. Reading the articles and stories here made me feel part of something bigger. Now after finally registering and viewing your remarks, I don't know if this is the place for me. I guess you may have crushed your own little bird instead of encouraging it to take flight.
No, what I am doing is trying to get my baby bird to stay in the center of the nest until it is ready and strong enough to venture out and test its wings. I'm trying to get that same baby bird to huddle in close with its siblings to share that warmth and closeness to help it survive instead of being on the fringe of the nest where it has only its own body heat to keep it warm and keep it from freezing to death. At the same time, that baby bird is providing equally to all the others and helping keep them alive...

My disappointment comes not from your success, but from your use of this site without being able to see where the true strength of this site (and the reason for its level of success) lies. You are only seeing a small PART of what this site is about. I would want you to see the overall picture and become a true MEMBER of this site instead of a tourist.

This is your choice and your call. I'm telling you the straight truth about how I see your quit. If you chose to take what I have said and abandon the site, that's a call you have to make based on what you think is best for you. Personally, I am not shunning you or trying to drive you out. I am trying to point out to you how you can make your quit THAT MUCH STRONGER - based on the way this site is meant to operate. The way this site is meant to work and has worked for thousands of quitters is by being involved and being an active member of the site. I invite you to do that, too, but you will always be held accountable and that might not always be comfortable. Your call.
Blah...Blah...Blah...You keep TALKIN....I'll keep QUITTIN

I'm not here to make friends, I'm here to support YOUR quit.

Quit Date: 2/25/10 and every day since
HoF: June 4, 2010
HOF Speech
10th Floor: November 20, 2012

Offline deanszam

• Quitter
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 11:23:00 AM »
Quote from: CoachDoc
My name is Dean from Minnesota, I had been chewing tobacco for 23 years at about a tin a day. Today, I have finally reached day 50, halfway up the mountain. It has been tough, but reading the posts and stories on Kill The Can.ORG has strengthen my resolve during my low points. Like to say thanks to all, I don't think I could of made this far without this website and forum.
Dean, I'm glad you have met with some success. I'm glad that you have found strength in what you have taken from here. I am, however, disappointed in the fact that you have said that you take strength from all the hard work, effort and commitment these quitters on KTC have put forth, yet what have you contributed back to all of those others like you that have come looking for the support to be successful?

If you've truly read and understand what goes n=on here, how can you come in here on day 50 to say thanks, knowing that we all rely on one another for our successes? How have you contributed to MY success? To the success of that fresh baby bird that caved at day 13 who would have been in your class and who maybe you could have connected with and help change his mind about choosing to cave?

Sure, this might sound unfair for me to be busting on someone who is 50 days in and seems to be doing well, but I just read right before this, something in the words of wisdom posted by razd611 (someone who certainly helped me in MY quit and taught me to return that support):

index.php?showtopic=7486

This isn't just about YOU (meaning each and every one of us, as individuals). This is about US - QUITTERS.

Semper Fi

CoachDoc
Sorry you feel disappointed, CoachDoc, but through these first 50 days I had felt under qualified and insecure about posting on this forum, as this is the first time I have done become part of a forum. I felt I needed to battle and conquer my on demons before I could lend someone with knowledgeable support. I was really proud of myself today, since I did this with no family support or understanding in what I was going through. Around day 20 my wife asked when was I going to quit the smokeless alternative, that hurt a bit since she couldn't see the bigger picture. Reading the articles and stories here made me feel part of something bigger. Now after finally registering and viewing your remarks, I don't know if this is the place for me. I guess you may have crushed your own little bird instead of encouraging it to take flight.

Offline CoachDoc

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2010-02-24
  • Interests: Coaching football/baseball, reading, hiking, kayaking, camping, watching my 4 sons grow up
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 09:47:00 AM »

index.php?showtopic=7486

Semper Fi

CoachDoc
Blah...Blah...Blah...You keep TALKIN....I'll keep QUITTIN

I'm not here to make friends, I'm here to support YOUR quit.

Quit Date: 2/25/10 and every day since
HoF: June 4, 2010
HOF Speech
10th Floor: November 20, 2012

Offline deanszam

• Quitter
Long Time Reader, First Time Poster
« on: November 30, 2012, 09:17:00 AM »