Author Topic: Me  (Read 1782 times)

Offline vh5150

• Quitter
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Me
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2010, 08:09:00 PM »
Quote from: redyota
Quote from: BlindSquirrel
Alright guys, I ripped the patch off my arm.  Although I still think quitting with help is better than not trying at all, I don't need to hear about how I'm not really quit.  I'm all in.
Congrats!

Its gonna be rough for about 3-4 days. Shortly after that you'll thank us for showing you the way.

PM me if I can be of assistance.
redyota nailed it. The first thing you gotta do is get those first 3 days out of the way. You'll feel like crap. No reason to sugar coat it. You're going to be mean, irritable and grouchy as all get out. Don't quit. After 3 days, you'll get the nic out of your system. You'll feel some better then. Also, it'll screw with your sleep schedule. It did mine.

I'm happy you've took the right steps. I'll help you stay quit. Pm me if you ever need to talk or get through the fog.
Romans 10:9 - That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

Offline redyota

• Master of Quit
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2010, 08:00:00 PM »
Alright guys, I ripped the patch off my arm. Although I still think quitting with help is better than not trying at all, I don't need to hear about how I'm not really quit. I'm all in.
Congrats!

Its gonna be rough for about 3-4 days. Shortly after that you'll thank us for showing you the way.

PM me if I can be of assistance.
"We shall not fail or falter; we shall not weaken or tire...Give us the tools and we will finish the job." - Sir Winston Churchill

"Not using gets much easier as time goes by, but the consequences of "just one" never lessen." - Me

Offline BlindSquirrel

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2010, 07:57:00 PM »
Alright guys, I ripped the patch off my arm. Although I still think quitting with help is better than not trying at all, I don't need to hear about how I'm not really quit. I'm all in.

Offline RAZD611

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Untied and Unfiltered
  • Interests: Family, Fishing, Hunting, Sports.
  • Likes Given: 1264
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2010, 07:49:00 PM »
Quote from: Tabasco
Quote from: vh5150
Quote from: bigduke45123
...because not everyone can go cold turkey.
I respectfully disagree. Everyone CAN go cold turkey. Some just choose not to because they are scared of a little pain. The large majority of those people fail. That is why we recommend against it.
X2 I quit cold turkey. It took the death of my 49 year old uncle leaving behind his wife of 10 years, a 7 yr old son and a 4 yr old daughter to make me realize I could live without that crap in my mouth.

I used a lot of things to help quit, but cigarettes and cigars wasn't what helped. Here's what helped:

1. Get your butt in here and post roll. Everyday. (I've backslidden since I hit the hall, but I've recommitted myself to this site, my quit brothers, and those that are just quit).

2. At first I used the fake stuff. It made me sick enough to realize that I had been putting nasty crap in my body for 20+ years and that it wasn't even that good. It didn't take me long to quit the fake stuff.

3. You can try candy, gum, etc. The first month I lived off of wintergreen Lifesavers and gum. I still chew gum from time to time, but not like that first month or so.

4. I got my family's support. When my wife found out I had quit, she was very happy. Not supportive at first, but she came around. I also do some heavy praying to help me get through. It helps more that anything else.

5. 280 days later, I still get the urge, but I know now I've got the knowledge, my brothers and sisters, and tools to get me through my quit. Even though you hit the hall, you're still quitting the nic until you either cave or die. And I'm not caving! Are you?
X3...this is a cold turkey site. There is no posting in the quit groups while using nicotine...aka.....the bitch.

You're not addicted to dip, you are addicted to nicotine and the only way to quit...is to quit.
With the right amount of determination - strength - and accountability, yes they can. I did, so can you . X4.

You will have to find a much better excuse than that lame ass shit!
Never Again For Any Reason

Hurt Feelings Report
https://ibb.co/NCwvw7t

Offline nohappysongs

• Quitter
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2010, 07:43:00 PM »
Just noticed you joined in March '08, with almost 600 posts to your name. Care to explain?
I could make all sorts of excuses. Husband was sick. I dealt by dipping. (Seemed logical at the time?) But all in all, I made a VERY poor discision to dip again. Now, my husband is still battling with god knows what and I was still dipping. Neither of us going anywhere except further from healthy. I have guilt (see Dec 2010). I've let down a lot of people everywhere. I enjoyed this group (June 08 rocked). And it's really disheartening to see the number June 08 post and where I could have been. I've got my shit together and determination in tow.

Offline redyota

• Master of Quit
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2010, 07:34:00 PM »
Just noticed you joined in March '08, with almost 600 posts to your name. Care to explain?
"We shall not fail or falter; we shall not weaken or tire...Give us the tools and we will finish the job." - Sir Winston Churchill

"Not using gets much easier as time goes by, but the consequences of "just one" never lessen." - Me

Offline Tabasco

• I have very large hands
  • Quitter
  • Quit Date: February 24, 2010
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2010, 07:04:00 PM »
Quote from: vh5150
I respectfully disagree. Everyone CAN go cold turkey. Some just choose not to because they are scared of a little pain. The large majority of those people fail. That is why we recommend against it.
X2 I quit cold turkey. It took the death of my 49 year old uncle leaving behind his wife of 10 years, a 7 yr old son and a 4 yr old daughter to make me realize I could live without that crap in my mouth.

I used a lot of things to help quit, but cigarettes and cigars wasn't what helped. Here's what helped:

1. Get your butt in here and post roll. Everyday. (I've backslidden since I hit the hall, but I've recommitted myself to this site, my quit brothers, and those that are just quit).

2. At first I used the fake stuff. It made me sick enough to realize that I had been putting nasty crap in my body for 20+ years and that it wasn't even that good. It didn't take me long to quit the fake stuff.

3. You can try candy, gum, etc. The first month I lived off of wintergreen Lifesavers and gum. I still chew gum from time to time, but not like that first month or so.

4. I got my family's support. When my wife found out I had quit, she was very happy. Not supportive at first, but she came around. I also do some heavy praying to help me get through. It helps more that anything else.

5. 280 days later, I still get the urge, but I know now I've got the knowledge, my brothers and sisters, and tools to get me through my quit. Even though you hit the hall, you're still quitting the nic until you either cave or die. And I'm not caving! Are you?
X3...this is a cold turkey site. There is no posting in the quit groups while using nicotine...aka.....the bitch.

You're not addicted to dip, you are addicted to nicotine and the only way to quit...is to quit.
Internet Tough Guy - USMC 1981-1985

Long after the adolescent preoccupation with self-image has subsided, nicotine will pre-empt even food in time of scarcity on the tobacco user's priority list." From: "Smoker Psychology Research" by Helmut Wakeham, Presented to the Philip Morris Board of Directors November 26, 1969.

On February 24, 2010 at 4:05pm I took my life back.

On June 4, 2010 I joined the HOF.

Offline vh5150

• Quitter
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2010, 04:38:00 PM »

Romans 10:9 - That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

Offline Fort

• Quitter
  • Interests: Hockey, golf, football, baseball, fishing and being a great dad and husband.
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2010, 04:35:00 PM »
9 days today, cold turkey. 1 can a day for at least 10 years.

You can do anything you put your mind to. It is all a game where cavers lose and quitters win!!

Fight it, the craving dies down after 10 or 20 minutes.

Be the master of your body, not a slave to your mind.
Fuck em all and fucking no regrets.

Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings so that you shall come easily by what others have labored hard for.
- Socrates

Quit Date - 8/16/2010
HOF - 11/23/2010
1 YR - 8/15/2011
2 YR - 8/15/2012
9th Floor - 1/31/2013

Offline redyota

• Master of Quit
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010, 03:30:00 PM »

Offline bigduke45123

• Quitter
  • Interests: Outdoor activities, riding bikes, taking my English mastiff for a ride, and eating now that I have quit. Food has become comfort to me right now and I will probably have to ask the vets help on that to.
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 03:10:00 PM »
Quote from: davenc
1 week ago today I had almost the same experience.  I didn't wake up intending to quit, had a couple of dips in the morning, got fed up with the pain in my gums/cheek/head, and just decided to quit right then and there.  I just joined a few minutes ago and I don't know what the general feeling is about nicotine patches and gum, but I'm using both and I find the gum to be particularly helpful because I can stick it in my lip and trick myself.

You CAN quit.  You WILL quit.
This is a NO NIC site. If you use patches, gum, etc. then you are not quit.
You want to see what the general filling for nic gum and patches are go to my intro. They don't want you to post roll if you are on them because you are still giving yourself nic where everyone else ain't. In my honest opinion I don't agree with not helping people on the patch or gum because not everyone can go cold turkey. But I do agree with not posting roll until nic free. I never posted roll on the patch.
Quit day - friday the 13th of August 2010
HOF day - November 20th 2010 - KTC's 4th bday
2nd Floor - Febuary 28th 2011

Offline redyota

• Master of Quit
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 02:59:00 PM »
The patches and gum are "helpful" because you're still feeding your body nicotine. You have not quit anything.

It's like an alcoholic who just quit his whiskey habit saying that vodka is "helpful." Yes, he isn't on whiskey any longer, but has he really accomplished anything?

Just quit. It's doable. It's not harder for you than it was for any of us. Are you man enough to do what's right?

Offline davenc

• Quitter
    • www.its-s.net
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 01:44:00 PM »
1 week ago today I had almost the same experience. I didn't wake up intending to quit, had a couple of dips in the morning, got fed up with the pain in my gums/cheek/head, and just decided to quit right then and there. I just joined a few minutes ago and I don't know what the general feeling is about nicotine patches and gum, but I'm using both and I find the gum to be particularly helpful because I can stick it in my lip and trick myself.

You CAN quit. You WILL quit.
This is a NO NIC site. If you use patches, gum, etc. then you are not quit.
Quit with extreme prejudice...
My orders say I'm not supposed to know where I'm taking this quit, so I don't! But one look at you and I know its gonna be hot!

QD: 07/28/2010
HOF: 11/04/2010
2nd Floor: 02/12/2011
3rd Floor: 05/23/2011
1 Year: 07/27/2011
4th Floor: 08/31/2011
5th Floor: 12/09/2011
6th Floor: 03/18/2012
7th Floor: 06/26/2012

Offline BlindSquirrel

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 01:43:00 PM »
1 week ago today I had almost the same experience. I didn't wake up intending to quit, had a couple of dips in the morning, got fed up with the pain in my gums/cheek/head, and just decided to quit right then and there. I just joined a few minutes ago and I don't know what the general feeling is about nicotine patches and gum, but I'm using both and I find the gum to be particularly helpful because I can stick it in my lip and trick myself.

You CAN quit. You WILL quit.

Offline nohappysongs

• Quitter
Me
« on: August 24, 2010, 01:16:00 PM »
So I went to bed last night, like every night for the past year, telling myself that "tomorrow will be the day." That tomorrow never came. Woke up, put in a dip, and went on as usual. Today, actually, started no different. But 11:11 in the afternoon is as good as 7:00 am right? I took out my dip about a half hour ago and felt horrible from still being that disquisting chewer and have decided that enough is enough. My teeth hurt. My gums hurt. My spitters and spilled. And the smell is horrible. I'm tired of the secrets. My husband doesn't even really know how much I chew. I read that the average dipper uses 1-3 cans a week. I use at least a can a day. It's expensive. We have bills to be paid piling up and every dip is a guilt trip of wasted money. Not to mention all the dental work that I've had done in the last year, and have to go in again today because my pain is back - now where I dip. I want to do it. I know I can. But I also have had many failed attempts. I am a grouchy bitter ugly woman without nicotine. I find my habit is to go from chew to smoking when trying to quit, only to hate smoking so bad that I revert back to chewing. This is going to be a very bumpy ride.