Author Topic: My Introduction; ProPhotoMan  (Read 3471 times)

Offline worktowin

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Interests: GymWorkTravel
  • Likes Given: 108
Re: My Introduction; ProPhotoMan
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2016, 04:17:00 PM »
Quote from: ProPhotoMan
Quote from: worktowin
Hey man! Welcome aboard! There is NOTHING that would make Todd Garcia happier today than reading your post. I'm headed back to KC from the Dakotas right now and will be driving through Iowa. What part do you live in?

You'll never regret quitting.
SE Iowa. Oskaloosa
Ill catch you another time, I'm driving on the west side. I'll send you my phone number in a pm. Please send me a text back.

What you are feeling now will pass. It will get a LOT better. If I can do this, you can!

Offline ProPhotoMan

• Likes Given: 0
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2016, 03:52:00 PM »
Quote from: worktowin
Hey man! Welcome aboard! There is NOTHING that would make Todd Garcia happier today than reading your post. I'm headed back to KC from the Dakotas right now and will be driving through Iowa. What part do you live in?

SE Iowa. Oskaloosa

Offline ProPhotoMan

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2016, 03:50:00 PM »
I am in SE Iowa, Oskaloosa, Iowa.

Offline Ginet

• Quitter
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2016, 02:53:00 PM »
Quote from: jpetmpls
Day number 2 of being a quitter....and it feels great!

It was mentioned by another member that since I like to write, to use this as a journal. I think this is a great idea and I am going to post to this each day.

I mentioned this is day number two of being tobacco free. My first day went far better than planned and in fact much easier than anticipated. I had little to zero withdraws. The only time I had withdraws was late last night. Water and Cowboy Coffee Chew has been my saving grace, although I feel like I pigged out yesterday with food. I don't need that as I am trying to lose weight. Yep, eating is going to be the downfall. But, I will curb my appetite as I continue this road to freedom of no tobacco.

Prayer helps me a lot. Having faith in my Lord helps a ton! I believe the Lord is on my side as I am going through this roller coaster ride of being tobacco free. He can be on your side as well! Do you believe? I SAID DO YOU BELIEVE? Do you have a relationship with Jesus? If not, pray! Bow to your knees and... Ask Him to help you to be tobacco free. Ask Him to be in your life. Ask Him to forgive your sins. Your body is a temple of God. My body is a temple of God. We have chosen to destroy our bodies (God's Temple) by introducing this junk they call tobacco! Why?

Tobacco isn't cool! Wait! Say what? I thought I was impressing my best friend when he offered me that first dip at 11 years old? I thought I had to be cool like him to outsmart all the school teachers and administrators as I carried my Skoal can around in my boot? I thought I was cool because I chewed through school without getting caught. spitting on the carpeted floor when the teachers back was turned; rubbing it in with my boot to hide the evidence! oh and then there was commercial after commercial after commercial from those I looked up to on television...you know (if you're as old as I am)...Charlie Daniels, Walt Garrison, Carlton Fisk, Shep Messing... for those of you old enough, you remember. These guys were cool! They were Cowboys, Baseball Players, Country Singers, Soccer Players....yeah, they were cool, but not because of their commercials.

So yeah...Day #2... No tobacco...

I was researching YouTube for those Smokeless Tobacco commercials and ran across some Duck Dynasty clips...those boys are my favorites! But, they dip smokeless tobacco. I didn't know that until seeing those clips. And the commercials from the 70's I talked about earlier...dadgummit, they messed with my mind a little bit. They made me want to take a trip to the local gas station and buy some dip. Sorry mind, my heart is stronger! I'm not gonna be a dipper any more. THAT IS WHAT MAKES ME COOL! THAT IS WHAT MAKES YOU COOL!

My wife doesn't even know that I have made the decision to quit dipping. I don't think she noticed that I wasn't chewing tobacco yesterday (Day 1). I will see if she notices today.

That's all for now. It is Day #2 and I am cooler than I was yesterday for being a quitter!

ProPhotoMan
Congrats, bud, and nice work. Don't worry about the eating. Do what you have to do. You can always lose the weight once you get your body and mind rewired. I actually put on 30 lbs. in about 6 months, but now I've lost 40 lbs. I came back meaner and leaner! Your quit is and should be your top priority early on.
Nice job Joe. When you tell your wife, you will add yet another layer of accountability. You have to quit for you.....no one else. She can get help here too. Other spouses do. Let me know if you want that info.

About the food thing......let me just keep giving you some honesty..... So what if you gain some weight. It's gonna be easier to lose 20 pounds than it will be to lose your jaw. Eat the food. Drink water. Do something....walk, run, push-ups....something. YOU ARE WINNING.

Welcome to day TWO......THAT IS HUGE!
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it. ~ Chinese Proverb
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply. ~ Stephen R. Covey

QD 12/29/13
April 2014 Resolute

Offline worktowin

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Interests: GymWorkTravel
  • Likes Given: 108
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2016, 02:51:00 PM »

Offline jpetmpls

• Quitter
  • Quit Pro
  • Quit Date: 01.12.15
  • Interests: Hockey, motorcycles, bar/restaurant business, marathons, trail running. Ingested nicotine profusely in many forms for nearly 22 years
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2016, 01:46:00 PM »

It was mentioned by another member that since I like to write, to use this as a journal. I think this is a great idea and I am going to post to this each day.

I mentioned this is day number two of being tobacco free. My first day went far better than planned and in fact much easier than anticipated. I had little to zero withdraws. The only time I had withdraws was late last night. Water and Cowboy Coffee Chew has been my saving grace, although I feel like I pigged out yesterday with food. I don't need that as I am trying to lose weight. Yep, eating is going to be the downfall. But, I will curb my appetite as I continue this road to freedom of no tobacco.

Prayer helps me a lot. Having faith in my Lord helps a ton! I believe the Lord is on my side as I am going through this roller coaster ride of being tobacco free. He can be on your side as well! Do you believe? I SAID DO YOU BELIEVE? Do you have a relationship with Jesus? If not, pray! Bow to your knees and... Ask Him to help you to be tobacco free. Ask Him to be in your life. Ask Him to forgive your sins. Your body is a temple of God. My body is a temple of God. We have chosen to destroy our bodies (God's Temple) by introducing this junk they call tobacco! Why?

Tobacco isn't cool! Wait! Say what? I thought I was impressing my best friend when he offered me that first dip at 11 years old? I thought I had to be cool like him to outsmart all the school teachers and administrators as I carried my Skoal can around in my boot? I thought I was cool because I chewed through school without getting caught. spitting on the carpeted floor when the teachers back was turned; rubbing it in with my boot to hide the evidence! oh and then there was commercial after commercial after commercial from those I looked up to on television...you know (if you're as old as I am)...Charlie Daniels, Walt Garrison, Carlton Fisk, Shep Messing... for those of you old enough, you remember. These guys were cool! They were Cowboys, Baseball Players, Country Singers, Soccer Players....yeah, they were cool, but not because of their commercials.

I was researching YouTube for those Smokeless Tobacco commercials and ran across some Duck Dynasty clips...those boys are my favorites! But, they dip smokeless tobacco. I didn't know that until seeing those clips. And the commercials from the 70's I talked about earlier...dadgummit, they messed with my mind a little bit. They made me want to take a trip to the local gas station and buy some dip. Sorry mind, my heart is stronger! I'm not gonna be a dipper any more. THAT IS WHAT MAKES ME COOL! THAT IS WHAT MAKES YOU COOL!

My wife doesn't even know that I have made the decision to quit dipping. I don't think she noticed that I wasn't chewing tobacco yesterday (Day 1). I will see if she notices today.

That's all for now. It is Day #2 and I am cooler than I was yesterday for being a quitter!

ProPhotoMan
Congrats, bud, and nice work. Don't worry about the eating. Do what you have to do. You can always lose the weight once you get your body and mind rewired. I actually put on 30 lbs. in about 6 months, but now I've lost 40 lbs. I came back meaner and leaner! Your quit is and should be your top priority early on.

Offline ProPhotoMan

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2016, 01:11:00 PM »

ProPhotoMan

Offline Ginet

• Quitter
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2016, 09:13:00 PM »
Hello Folks,

I am guessing this is where I am going to start on the website. I am a new quitter on what I am going to call day 1, even though Ginet talked me into quitting last night. I have chewed this nasty crap for 38 years and when I saw the post yesterday about one of your members dying, probably from this crap, it caught my attention. I was saddened by the story and given strength because of his strength and courage.

So, where do I start?

My first name is Joe. I live in Iowa with my wife of 29 years (this November). We have 3 sons, two are married, one has been married twice. Each has two children, making me a grandfather (of course). I play the role of grandpa very well and love it. I am a professional photographer and former Pro Rodeo Photographer. This year became so frustrating with photo thefts and lost sales that I had decided to call off the rest of the rodeo season and just relax at home. After a couple of days relaxing, I decided to no longer pursue the rodeo road and have since quit the rodeo industry. I have some comments on rodeos, but I will come back to that in a bit. I have been a photographer since my junior high days (for real). I am a 100% service connected disabled veteran, injured in 2001, just after 9/11, while training with my unit to be mobilized for the war. In 2002, I was board of physical therapy and lounging around home, so I picked up my old film camera and decided to take some photos. I won two national photography contests that year and became a professional photographer. I own my own studio and shoot portraits, weddings, landscape, nature, equine, motorsports, concerts, and commercial photography. I also do some graphic design. I live just 28 miles from the sprint car capital of the world, Knoxville Raceway, where I have photographed many sprint cars and late models. In 2017 I plan to follow a couple of sprint car series. I love my job as a photographer. I am also a Certified Firefighter I, Certified Fire Service Instructor I, and a former EMT-B. I have a dual MBA in Marketing and Public Administration as well.

Rodeo...oh yeah...I am going to throw my two cents into the ring on this sport for a minute. Rodeo is where I started chewing tobacco when I was 11 years old. Sorry Ginet, my math was off last night. Growing up, both in and around the sport all my life, it sickens me to see kids chewing at such a young age and parents who promote it. I thought I was cool after seeing ads on television from Charlie Daniels and Walt Garrison when I was young and involved with rodeo. To be honest, I am surprised that I am still alive. But, I know God has plans for me. When I finally quit this crap for good, I am going to become an advocate against chewing tobacco in rodeos and other sports involving our young people.

I am a man of faith and of God. Some of you may not like that, some may love it. I know that I can beat this once and for all with my wife, family, God, Ginet, Grat, and the rest of your support. Support means a great deal to me. I know I will have days of highs and lows.

I know the next three days are going to be a bumpy ride. I am prepared. I am using Cowboy Coffee Chew as a substitute. It is simply coffee grinds and honey mixed together with a sweetener. 100% nicotine free and 100% tobacco free. And it tastes great. And it is going to help me kick this habit, while my body is getting rid of the toxins and neuro-toxins. I have never been a quitter at anything I have done...until now. I was a Firefighter/EMT prior ot becoming a professional photographer and while I was in the military. Quit wasn't in my vocabulary, because when I quit, people died! Now the shoe is on the other foot and I have to be a quitter, or I will die; die from tobacco use.

I know I will be in the November 2016 quit group. I love to write (Obviously). Honestly, I don't think this will be that bad of a struggle. With me being a photographer, I will be able to buy more photography equipment and there is a sweet lens that I have been trying to afford. When I reflect at chewing 3 tins a week, at a cost of $6.20/can, that's an extra $967.00 a year in my pocket. I also have the power of prayer and God on my side. I have my cowboy coffee chew. Ginet told me about Smokey Mountain, which is nicotine free and if things become a struggle, I might turn to that. I have folks like Ginet, Grat, and the rest of you to depend on. Primarily, I have myself; my life.

Here's to being a quitter...

ProPhotoMan
Joe M.
Â…atta baby!

Math is overrated :)

Here is something I want you to remember. It has helped me more than anything else I have learned here.

"One is too many. One thousand is never enough" This is because I am an addict.

KEEP GOING. FIGHT. YOU ARE WINNING!

~Lady G
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it. ~ Chinese Proverb
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply. ~ Stephen R. Covey

QD 12/29/13
April 2014 Resolute

Offline Ginet

• Quitter
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2016, 09:09:00 PM »
Hi Buddy. Listen to these people. They have their hands held out to help youÂ….. all you have to do is grab one. I am so very glad to see you here. Remember, only worry about right now, this hour, for today. That's all you can doÂ….control NOW. Be ready to fight. Be ready to rage. ButÂ….also be ready to ask for help from these fine quitters. Post everydayÂ….make that promise to yourself and to everyone here BEFORE the world and life grabs hold of you. Nicotine is so very powerful. Don't allow it to have power over you. YOU can do this. WE will help. This is why we are hereÂ….to pay if forward, to help reinvigorate our own quit, to remember those that helped us and to fuel the fight against Big Tobacco.

QD 12/29/13
April 2014 Resolute

Offline Grandpa

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: June 11, 2016
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2016, 06:49:00 PM »
Pro photo,
Tighten your helmet strap, you are going to war again. You have a great army of veteran quitters here to support you battle. Read their stories and heed there advice. It will help you through the tough days ahead. Post your promise not to use first thing every morning and keep your promise. You have my prayers for the strength you need to quit.

Offline Idaho Spuds

• Quit Pro
  • Quit Date: August 18, 2014
  • Interests: Family, Soccer, fishing, hunting, camping
  • Likes Given: 71
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2016, 05:52:00 PM »
No tobacco at all since last night ladies and gents!
Welcome and congrats on the new found freedom. The amount of time that we spent thinking about chewing, buying chew, the next chew will be astonishing
Read up and get active, and thanks for service

Offline ProPhotoMan

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2016, 05:28:00 PM »
No tobacco at all since last night ladies and gents!

Offline RDB

• Quit Spartan
  • Quit Pro
  • Quit Date 1/22/16
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2016, 05:13:00 PM »
Welcome. Post your promise in your quit group. Keep it. It really is that simple.

It's great to have you here, but the price of admission is posting roll.

Stay quit. Refuse to cave.

Thank you for your service.

Offline wildirish317

• Free
  • Quitting MoFo
  • Past the cravings Past the drama Still an addict
  • Quit Date: 2/25/2016
  • Interests: I am the most boring person you will ever meet.
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2016, 04:44:00 PM »
Ginet lures more men in here with those sexy high heels. :wub:

Welcome ProPhotoMan. Welcome to our nightmare. Since you like to write, please use this intro thread of yours as your quit journal. Check out my intro thread if you want a poor example.

If you like to read, check out the links in my signature. They point to some of the things I've learned along the way. There's more, of course, and you will find it.

But, for the here and now - water and cranberry juice (the natural stuff) drink as much as you can stand. Just get through today. You made that promise, right? No nicotine today? If not, post roll and make it, then keep it. If you don't think you can make it through the day, then just get through the next hour. If that's too much, get through the next minute. That's how we do it.

You're not going to want to do this, but trade phone numbers with others in your November group. You will build bonds with them during this 100 day journey. You will enjoy trading texts on occasion. Stay with us. The only way to stay quit is to stay quit. It's that simple. It's friggin' hard!
“Everything good that has happened to me has happened as a direct result of helping someone else, everything". - Danny Trejo

Offline Armydan13

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2016-07-10
  • Interests: I'm an asshole.
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2016, 04:15:00 PM »
Welcome to KTC Joe!

I am also former military! Thanks for your service. I dipped my entire military career and it carried over into my civilian life; I'm only 38 days into my quit but man can I tell you that everyone here is amazing and is always willing to help. After 10 years of dipping almost 2 cans a day I was terrified to take the plunge; but I'm glad I did. There are guys on this website that can encourage and inspire you with their stories of quit as they have helped with mine. Word of advice: make this quit for yourself; and yourself only. When my girlfriend "talked me into quitting" last year I lasted no more then a few days; resenting her along the process.

Don't underestimate the power of nicotine brother. This may be an easy ride for you, it may be hell. We have all seen a little bit of both...there will be triumphs and hardships along the way; this website is an amazing resource and arms you with the tools and support needed for your journey; but it will only put out what you put into it..... I am glad to see you have alternatives to dip (Smokey mountain was essential for the first week) and you see ready to rock.

I look forward to seeing your progress in he November group. PM me if you have any questions.

P.S - Your quit date is today (even if you have had nicotine this morning...but I'm hoping you haven't because it takes serious commitment here)

Brotherhood+Accountability+Dick Pics = Success