Author Topic: My Friend Died From Dip...I Still Haven't Quit  (Read 2107 times)

Offline Steakbomb18

• Quit King
  • Quit Date: 12/13/2013
  • Likes Given: 20
Re: My Friend Died From Dip...I Still Haven't Quit
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2014, 11:36:00 AM »
Powerful intro. You'll get a lot of looks especially with that intro title because we all know, too well, what the end game is had we continued down the path we were on. All of us here are fortunate that we haven't fallen victim like your friend did.

Two things
1) follow and live the advice these other badass quitters have outlined for you. Make it a way of life and your creed. Start with that, i.e. posting roll, and the quit will build from there

2) you mention that the can has a stranglehold on all of us; I full heartedly disagree. We are addicts, yes; and we will always be addicts. But we are quit and we are free from that can. I continue to build my quit so that I have the stranglehold on that bitch. That can has nothing on me or any of these studs who have posted. Why, because post roll, we promise, and we quit like fuck. That bitch can bring her best game and I'll fucking say no to her every single time - for today. I posted roll today, I made my promise, and I will win today at all costs...because I posted roll. See how this works. These guys all have my back, should I need to call in the cavalry for back-up. They'll make damn sure I say No today.

This is how we quit. I think...correction, I know you want to be a part of this.
Certified Grade A Badass

Offline Doc Chewfree

• Quit Pro
  • Quit Date: 2014-02-06
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2014, 11:22:00 AM »
Quote from: Tuco's
Good to see you on roll, CO_tp. Just as you see a lot of yourself in us, we see a lot of our former selves in you.

You can absolutely do this, but it sounds like you already know that. You also know that nicotine is a ruthless, cunning bitch and she will not extricate herself from your situation without a long, tough fight. Embrace the fight. It's the last dance you're ever going to do with her, right?

You also need to post roll first thing. Every day. No excuses, no exceptions. Posting roll is a privilege and an honor. In time you will understand why.

The same goes for reaching out to your quit brothers in March as well as other vets on the site. Start swapping digits today so you can begin building your support network. Shoot me a PM and I'd be more than happy to give you mine. This will be a vital component of your quit, so the sooner you start building it, the better. Again, in time you will understand why.

Finally, by all accounts you sound like you're done today. I believe you that you're done today. I've also seen dozens of other guys post up similar sentiments, only to disappear back to the clutches of their addiction within a few weeks. I'm not trying to be harsh with you, but rather offer a cold dose of reality that you are not special and a challenge to you to put everything you have behind your quit. 110% all in. No good option should be left on the table.
Welcome, CO. Now lets start taking our lives back from this mutherfucking addiction!
Brave men are honored, rich men are envied, powerful men are feared, but only a man with character is trusted
Quit on Feb. 6, 2014

Offline Tuco

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quit Pro
  • Quit Date: 7/27/2014
  • Likes Given: 48
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2014, 10:10:00 AM »
Good to see you on roll, CO_tp. Just as you see a lot of yourself in us, we see a lot of our former selves in you.

You can absolutely do this, but it sounds like you already know that. You also know that nicotine is a ruthless, cunning bitch and she will not extricate herself from your situation without a long, tough fight. Embrace the fight. It's the last dance you're ever going to do with her, right?

You also need to post roll first thing. Every day. No excuses, no exceptions. Posting roll is a privilege and an honor. In time you will understand why.

The same goes for reaching out to your quit brothers in March as well as other vets on the site. Start swapping digits today so you can begin building your support network. Shoot me a PM and I'd be more than happy to give you mine. This will be a vital component of your quit, so the sooner you start building it, the better. Again, in time you will understand why.

Finally, by all accounts you sound like you're done today. I believe you that you're done today. I've also seen dozens of other guys post up similar sentiments, only to disappear back to the clutches of their addiction within a few weeks. I'm not trying to be harsh with you, but rather offer a cold dose of reality that you are not special and a challenge to you to put everything you have behind your quit. 110% all in. No good option should be left on the table.

Offline SAM83

• Quit Pro
  • A failure to plan is a plan to fail!
  • Quit Date: 1/6/2014
  • Interests: Hunting, Fishing, Camping, Motorcycle Touring, White Water Sports, Cooking/Grilling/Smoking (Food), Anything Outdoors and Go Steelers!
  • Likes Given: 232
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2014, 09:51:00 AM »
Good to see you posted roll today in March.  Great decision. You got this ODAAT!

Offline Done4Me

• Epic Quitter
  • Interests: Family, Beach, Fishing, BBQ
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2014, 09:16:00 AM »
You need to make your way over to March and post a day 1. Toss it and get your name on roll which is your daily promise not to use today. We keep it simple around here, one day at a time. Don't worry about tomorrow. Stay clean today.

Offline SAM83

• Quit Pro
  • A failure to plan is a plan to fail!
  • Quit Date: 1/6/2014
  • Interests: Hunting, Fishing, Camping, Motorcycle Touring, White Water Sports, Cooking/Grilling/Smoking (Food), Anything Outdoors and Go Steelers!
  • Likes Given: 232
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2014, 09:14:00 AM »
Quote from: grizzlyhasclaws
Quote from: Raider
Quote from: CO_tp
"Dom" as we liked to call him died about a month after he turned 32. He was a guy I grew up with. We competed against each other in basketball and baseball growing up in a small town. We weren't close friends, but we had a bond in dip. We grew apart after college, but I would see him back home at Thanksgiving and summer breaks. We bummed numerous dips from each other over the years. He loved Kodiak, I was always Skoal man.

He died a quick and painful death. He was diagnosed with Stage IV esophageal cancer 6 months prior. His wife was 2 months pregnant at the time and they had an 1 year old girl. He had in-operable, widely metastatic disease. Towards the last couple of months, his spine collapsed and he required a brace. He couldn't walk. I couldn't bring myself to see him in that condition. He didn't live long enough to see his second child born.

I wish I could tell you that this was a recent event. In happened in 2008. I was quit at that time, but somehow, I ended up back on the can shortly thereafter. I somehow have convinced myself that this couldn't happen to me. The fact that a friend of mine died from dip and I continue to do it is repulsive, embarrassing and downright inexpiable. Like you, the can has a stranglehold on me...

Otherwise, my story is like all of yours. First dip was at 11 years old. Skoal Mint Bandits. I vomited. Some of my friends never tried it again, but for some reason I was determined to keep going. I'm sure I thought it was a cool thing to do. It continued through high school, then college, and continued on. Sure there were attempts and even successes at quitting, but in reality it has been a steady part of my life for 25 years.

I was a hider. Most people didn't know I chewed. However, the never-ending guilt of hiding this from everyone is why I'm here. I want to experience life without dip. No more pinches, not a one. Never again.

Dom didn't get a chance to live without dip and it took his life at 32...I'm determined to get this shit out of my life for good.
That is too damn young to go. YOU my friend have come to the right place to quit as long as it is for you and you only. This place is amazing if you let it be. Posting Roll and building your own personal network in here makes it work. Roll is sacred and taken very seriously. It is your promise to NOT use any nicotine for the day. That is easy. We Post Roll Daily and make that promise to ourselves and our brothers and sisters in here. Read up on the Welcome Center and learn how to post if you haven't already done so. Other than that. Sit back, enjoy the suck, and be quit with the rest of us.
If you truly want to be quit then follow the Ktc path. Do everything by the letter. Read the whole forum and post every day. Sorry about your friend. Welcome to the best place to quit.
CO,

Are you quit right now or are you thinking about it? Either way, you know what needs to be done. We are a nicotine free site, no patches, nic gum or nicotine in any form. Get to the welcome center section here and read all you can, set your resolve and post your day one roll. We take this one day at a time (ODAAT). You make yourself and your quit group a promise for today, you hold yourself accountable to your word today, tomorrow you repeat. Is it easy or fun, hell no. However, it gets better quick and the daily promises add up. Another great resource is the Chat Room. Head over there to chat live with some great quitters on this site. If you want to be nic free, you can do it on this site cold turkey and ODAAT! Make it happen!

Offline Grizzlyhasclaws

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Epic Quitter
  • Quit Date: 10/31/2013
  • Interests: Family, Baseball, basketball, sales, living to see my kids grow.
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2014, 08:14:00 AM »
Quote from: Raider
"Dom" as we liked to call him died about a month after he turned 32. He was a guy I grew up with. We competed against each other in basketball and baseball growing up in a small town. We weren't close friends, but we had a bond in dip. We grew apart after college, but I would see him back home at Thanksgiving and summer breaks. We bummed numerous dips from each other over the years. He loved Kodiak, I was always Skoal man.

He died a quick and painful death. He was diagnosed with Stage IV esophageal cancer 6 months prior. His wife was 2 months pregnant at the time and they had an 1 year old girl. He had in-operable, widely metastatic disease. Towards the last couple of months, his spine collapsed and he required a brace. He couldn't walk. I couldn't bring myself to see him in that condition. He didn't live long enough to see his second child born.

I wish I could tell you that this was a recent event. In happened in 2008. I was quit at that time, but somehow, I ended up back on the can shortly thereafter. I somehow have convinced myself that this couldn't happen to me. The fact that a friend of mine died from dip and I continue to do it is repulsive, embarrassing and downright inexpiable. Like you, the can has a stranglehold on me...

Otherwise, my story is like all of yours. First dip was at 11 years old. Skoal Mint Bandits. I vomited. Some of my friends never tried it again, but for some reason I was determined to keep going. I'm sure I thought it was a cool thing to do. It continued through high school, then college, and continued on. Sure there were attempts and even successes at quitting, but in reality it has been a steady part of my life for 25 years.

I was a hider. Most people didn't know I chewed. However, the never-ending guilt of hiding this from everyone is why I'm here. I want to experience life without dip. No more pinches, not a one. Never again.

Dom didn't get a chance to live without dip and it took his life at 32...I'm determined to get this shit out of my life for good.
That is too damn young to go. YOU my friend have come to the right place to quit as long as it is for you and you only. This place is amazing if you let it be. Posting Roll and building your own personal network in here makes it work. Roll is sacred and taken very seriously. It is your promise to NOT use any nicotine for the day. That is easy. We Post Roll Daily and make that promise to ourselves and our brothers and sisters in here. Read up on the Welcome Center and learn how to post if you haven't already done so. Other than that. Sit back, enjoy the suck, and be quit with the rest of us.
If you truly want to be quit then follow the Ktc path. Do everything by the letter. Read the whole forum and post every day. Sorry about your friend. Welcome to the best place to quit.
Nicotine Quit Date:10/31/2013
Exercise Start Date: 6/29/2018

Offline ChristopherJ

• Quit Pro
  • Quit Date: Sept 17, 2014
  • Interests: Travel, music, sports, art,
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2014, 05:22:00 AM »
You made a great decision coming here CO. Your story about Dom was tragic and it blew me away when I read this was six years ago. Your reasoning told you to stop dipping then and it appears that you suceeded for a while. But that twisted logic that made you rationalize starting up again is the nicotine addiction that you can fight and win with the help of the community here at KTC. We call that addiction the nic bitch, and she will use any sneaky or deceitful way to try and break down your resolve. But you can do it. You already had a bad ass quitter Raider step up and support you.

One day at a time. Quit with you.

CJ
Don't be afraid.  You are not alone.

Offline Raider

• Quit Pro
  • Imma Quitter
  • Quit Date: Feb 28, 2014
  • Interests: Fishing, Camping, Kayaking, but mainly spending time with the family and friends.
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2014, 01:36:00 AM »

Offline CO_tp

• Quit Date: 2014-12-12
My Friend Died From Dip...I Still Haven't Quit
« on: December 13, 2014, 12:31:00 AM »