Author Topic: Winer Winner Chicken Dinner  (Read 8112 times)

Offline Done4Me

• Epic Quitter
  • Interests: Family, Beach, Fishing, BBQ
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Winer Winner Chicken Dinner
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2014, 11:50:00 AM »
Quote from: CBird65
Quote from: rdad
Quote from: Zam
Quote from: Done4Me
I need some expert witness been there done that testimony. I'm on day 4, day 5 starts at 11 pm ET. I quit a can a day and moderately heavy (maybe heavily moderate) alcohol use at the same time. Standard drinking would be 6 to 10 beers a night yes every one. Also at least a couple shots in the waning hours before bed. I know everyone is different but damn I was hoping I would be one of those 72 hour guys where I started to feel better. I'm guessing the combined alcohol/nicotine immediacy has my brain wondering WTF. I'm drinking plenty of water, gum of every flavor. My jaw muscles have never looked better.

What's the over/under on # of days until I get to phase 2? No danger here, still committed but I tend to meet expectations if I have an idea of the next goal. Not sure of the posting location protocol, please show me the way if in the wrong place.
I'm not sure what you mean by "phase 2". If your question is "how long does it take nicotine to clear your system?", the answer is around 3 days, I think. If you are asking when most people "clear the fog", then you'll just have to ask a few people. There is A LOT of variation, I think. Personally, I felt pretty good after a week. Unfortunately, it wasn't a permanent feeling. I had stretches where I felt awesome and clear, and I had stretches where I couldn't go 15 seconds without licking the (empty) inside of my lip, or patting my former (now empty) can-pocket. Slowly, the bad stretches became less frequent. Now I can't even remember the last real crave. Read a lot of posts, words of wisdom, HOF speeches, etc, and you'll probably get the answers you're looking for.
Welcome to the suck. It gets better.

PS - as far a "goals" go - it's the same for everyone -- don't use nicotine today.
That was perfectly said by Zam. I think everyone's experience is different. I was in the fog for about 3 weeks. I can tell you for sure that it continues to gradually get easier and I feel so good now. It really helps to read everything you can here. I pick a quitter I like and read the whole intro. There are some great people here with inspiring quits. It really helped me knowing I was not alone in this. It's pretty scary in the beginning. You can do this.
Alcohol and nicotine are like a 1-2 punch to the brain Effects of Alcohol and Tobacco on the Brain
No silver bullets but one thing to be mindful is we are addicts.
Stay focused on the quit and only make those small corrections in behavior directly related to your quit at the beginning.
You are heretofore Dr. CBird. Looked at that page and I don't understand a damn thing.

Offline cbird65

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Own it or be OWNED by it
  • Quit Date: 12-31-2011
  • Interests: trying to follow in His footsteps, loving my bride and renewing my quit daily
  • Likes Given: 710
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2014, 08:31:00 AM »
Quote from: rdad
I need some expert witness been there done that testimony. I'm on day 4, day 5 starts at 11 pm ET. I quit a can a day and moderately heavy (maybe heavily moderate) alcohol use at the same time. Standard drinking would be 6 to 10 beers a night yes every one. Also at least a couple shots in the waning hours before bed. I know everyone is different but damn I was hoping I would be one of those 72 hour guys where I started to feel better. I'm guessing the combined alcohol/nicotine immediacy has my brain wondering WTF. I'm drinking plenty of water, gum of every flavor. My jaw muscles have never looked better.

What's the over/under on # of days until I get to phase 2? No danger here, still committed but I tend to meet expectations if I have an idea of the next goal. Not sure of the posting location protocol, please show me the way if in the wrong place.
I'm not sure what you mean by "phase 2". If your question is "how long does it take nicotine to clear your system?", the answer is around 3 days, I think. If you are asking when most people "clear the fog", then you'll just have to ask a few people. There is A LOT of variation, I think. Personally, I felt pretty good after a week. Unfortunately, it wasn't a permanent feeling. I had stretches where I felt awesome and clear, and I had stretches where I couldn't go 15 seconds without licking the (empty) inside of my lip, or patting my former (now empty) can-pocket. Slowly, the bad stretches became less frequent. Now I can't even remember the last real crave. Read a lot of posts, words of wisdom, HOF speeches, etc, and you'll probably get the answers you're looking for.

PS - as far a "goals" go - it's the same for everyone -- don't use nicotine today.
That was perfectly said by Zam. I think everyone's experience is different. I was in the fog for about 3 weeks. I can tell you for sure that it continues to gradually get easier and I feel so good now. It really helps to read everything you can here. I pick a quitter I like and read the whole intro. There are some great people here with inspiring quits. It really helped me knowing I was not alone in this. It's pretty scary in the beginning. You can do this.
Alcohol and nicotine are like a 1-2 punch to the brain Effects of Alcohol and Tobacco on the Brain
No silver bullets but one thing to be mindful is we are addicts.
Stay focused on the quit and only make those small corrections in behavior directly related to your quit at the beginning.
Believe Me

FLOOR 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ,11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19,, 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29,,, 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39
 ,,,,41 42 43 44 45 46

Assurance

Offline derv88

• Quitter
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2014, 10:30:00 PM »
My eyes are still blurry and I'm 4 weeks in. The metallic taste to everything is gone, the fog is mostly gone, but I have some acid reflux issues every couple of days probably because I was more of a swallower rather than spitter the last couple of years when I switched to Copenhagen pouches thinking I was doing myself a favor.

Keep your caffeine in check, super spicy things foods like jerky with hot sauce on top are nice, as are pistachios and other lip/mouth smacking shit.

Stay strong, let me know if you need anything.

derv

Offline rdad

• Quit Pro
  • Quit Date: 11/22/13
  • Interests: All Shooting Sports, Reloading, Fly Fishing, and Music.
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2014, 09:51:00 PM »

Offline zam

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quit Pro
  • Quit is not a passive activity.
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2014, 09:33:00 PM »

*Quit today. Full stop. No qualifiers. Tomorrow?... IDK, IDC.

Offline Done4Me

• Epic Quitter
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2014, 08:50:00 PM »

Offline Thumblewort

• Epic Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2014-04-04
  • Interests: Steel Panther, Lions football, Deathmatch Wreslting, Ultra Violent horror movies, feeding the people in my basement pit.
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2014, 09:12:00 AM »
Gratz on Day 4 Done4, I quit with you today. Sounds like you and me should be partners in a party store, as I tend to hit it medium hard daily, and then look out on the weekends.
Some of my fondest and clearest memories are peeing in places that aren't bathrooms.

Offline mb289

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2/17/2014
  • Interests: Motorcycling, camping and welding
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2014, 05:35:00 AM »
Welcome Done4me! You are in the right place to be quit. As stated post roll and read the Welcome Center info. A lot of us are long term chewers, me 3+ years and I've been quit 81 days. So, you can do if you have made the decision and want it bad enough. KTC is here to help.

mb289

Offline slinger

• Quitter
  • Interests: My wife and two sons, sports, hunting, fishing, and quitting.
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2014, 05:14:00 AM »
Nice intro. Sounds to me like you've had enough and are really ready to do this. If so, you're certainly in the right place. I can't add much to what these guys have already told you, other than to welcome you and offer any help that I can. If you need anything or want to exchange numbers, let me know.
We are what we repeatedly do. ~ Aristotle

Quit or get off the pot, Sally. ~ Diesel2112

The way I see it, you can either post roll daily or fuck off. ~ jost2brown

Bam! Right in the ass! ~ MonsterEMT

Quit Date: 3/4/14
HOF Date: 6/11/14
2nd Floor: 9/19/14
HOF Speech

Offline Menace

• Quitter
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2014, 10:46:00 PM »
Nice intro done4me and you appear to have the proper thought process going already on how this works. That is a huge part to being successful in your quit. I always like to remind if folks or advise them, depending on whether you know or not. You are a stinking nicotine addict, so am I, so is everyone on here, so that means you (we) are done. Can't have nicotine ever again. That can sound depressing, so remember, you just can't have nicotine today or for this hour or this minute. Took me a long time to realize the addict part of this and you seem sharper then me, so I am sure you know that but it never hurts to be reminded. Second is what Griz told you. Post roll daily, take it seriously, really! Then all you have to do is a be a man of your word for the day and act like you have a set dangling down there and quit with us. Welcome and I quit with you today. You need digits for accountability, shoot me a PM.
Menace

I'm a Quitter, Are You?

Offline rdad

• Quit Pro
  • Quit Date: 11/22/13
  • Interests: All Shooting Sports, Reloading, Fly Fishing, and Music.
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 10:32:00 PM »
Quote from: grizzlyhasclaws
I'm old, this is my first BB post. I don't have an iPhone or earphones or a cool winter hat that I wear in the summer. We call them toboggans down south but I hear those are sleds in the north per my yankee wife. I recently hit my 25 year service anniversary at work. Looking back I realized I started dipping on my first day. I've never quit until now. That's 9100 cans of Skoal at roughly 35 grand. I'm a cheap bastard and it pisses me off typing that number when it could have meant a ton of other things.

How did I get this far to realize it's time to quit? I've been worming my wife into the meetings with our financial adviser. We recently had a brother in law die and my wife's sister was left behind without a friggin clue about anything. It's been a mess and I don't want that to be my wife if something happens to me. I'll admit I'm OC on retirement planning. I've got spreadsheets out the arse with different projections, 62, 65, 67 blah blah. I was driving home after our last meeting and realized what an utter fool I am watching the master financial plan if I'm not taking care of the master me plan and dipping for 25 years is not a life enhancement strategy.

So on Sunday May 4 at 11 pm, I spit out my last dip ever and drank my temporarily last beer for awhile. This is going to be a challenge but I'm up for it. I'm convinced I will win. The fog is proof every minute that I am winning.

My laptop crapped out today and I had to go into the office. The guy who hired me 25 years back and gave me my first dip was all interested in my quit. Yes he is still a dipper. I'll slowly build him up and get him on this site. He's a good dude but grumpy as hell, can't wait to see him cold turkey.

So that's my story, at least the highlights. I've got a great wife and kids. The more we talk the more I'll tell. Understand this though, it took a hell of a lot for me to quit dip and alcohol on the same night but the only chance I have to kick the dip is without drinking. I'm a 6 to 10 beer a night guy with at least a couple of shots towards the end to help me sleep. I tend to not keep count on weekends. Not getting too much sleep these last few nights hence my late intro post. Judge me, I don't give a damn. Like I told my wife, the next 30 days minimum for me are going to be just that, for me. I don't care what anyone else thinks and stay out of my way, of course in the nicest possible way.

4 hours 15 minutes till day 4.
I think you have a pretty good attitude.

2 key initiatives that will make the most of KTC in your quit of tobacco/nicotine:

(1) Posting Roll - Do it every morning early. No skipping days, no excuses.
(2) Making Friends - embrace the brotherhood, you need accountability and that's what KTC provides.

If you commit and you are a man of your word, you will have an army of supporters and you will succeed.
Welcome. I PROMISE you, if you do what Grizclaws said in 1 and 2 you will succeed. It's so simple it makes me laugh now. ( It's hard though) only the serious survive.

Offline Grizzlyhasclaws

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Epic Quitter
  • Quit Date: 10/31/2013
  • Interests: Family, Baseball, basketball, sales, living to see my kids grow.
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 09:37:00 PM »
I'm old, this is my first BB post. I don't have an iPhone or earphones or a cool winter hat that I wear in the summer. We call them toboggans down south but I hear those are sleds in the north per my yankee wife. I recently hit my 25 year service anniversary at work. Looking back I realized I started dipping on my first day. I've never quit until now. That's 9100 cans of Skoal at roughly 35 grand. I'm a cheap bastard and it pisses me off typing that number when it could have meant a ton of other things.

How did I get this far to realize it's time to quit? I've been worming my wife into the meetings with our financial adviser. We recently had a brother in law die and my wife's sister was left behind without a friggin clue about anything. It's been a mess and I don't want that to be my wife if something happens to me. I'll admit I'm OC on retirement planning. I've got spreadsheets out the arse with different projections, 62, 65, 67 blah blah. I was driving home after our last meeting and realized what an utter fool I am watching the master financial plan if I'm not taking care of the master me plan and dipping for 25 years is not a life enhancement strategy.

So on Sunday May 4 at 11 pm, I spit out my last dip ever and drank my temporarily last beer for awhile. This is going to be a challenge but I'm up for it. I'm convinced I will win. The fog is proof every minute that I am winning.

My laptop crapped out today and I had to go into the office. The guy who hired me 25 years back and gave me my first dip was all interested in my quit. Yes he is still a dipper. I'll slowly build him up and get him on this site. He's a good dude but grumpy as hell, can't wait to see him cold turkey.

So that's my story, at least the highlights. I've got a great wife and kids. The more we talk the more I'll tell. Understand this though, it took a hell of a lot for me to quit dip and alcohol on the same night but the only chance I have to kick the dip is without drinking. I'm a 6 to 10 beer a night guy with at least a couple of shots towards the end to help me sleep. I tend to not keep count on weekends. Not getting too much sleep these last few nights hence my late intro post. Judge me, I don't give a damn. Like I told my wife, the next 30 days minimum for me are going to be just that, for me. I don't care what anyone else thinks and stay out of my way, of course in the nicest possible way.

I think you have a pretty good attitude.

2 key initiatives that will make the most of KTC in your quit of tobacco/nicotine:

(1) Posting Roll - Do it every morning early. No skipping days, no excuses.
(2) Making Friends - embrace the brotherhood, you need accountability and that's what KTC provides.

If you commit and you are a man of your word, you will have an army of supporters and you will succeed.
Nicotine Quit Date:10/31/2013
Exercise Start Date: 6/29/2018

Offline Done4Me

• Epic Quitter
Winer Winner Chicken Dinner
« on: May 07, 2014, 06:48:00 PM »