Author Topic: Just Getting Started  (Read 10340 times)

Offline Souliman

• Quitting MoFo
  • Interests: Swim Bike Run - Shooting - Chasing my boys around.
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: Just Getting Started
« Reply #104 on: January 14, 2012, 12:30:00 PM »
I quit with Per today.

Without John Cusack, the world would have never known Joan. Ying and Yang my friend. Ying and Yang.

Offline Ready

• Admin (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #103 on: January 14, 2012, 12:26:00 PM »
Quote from: per034
Dear Quit,

You are a fucking joke. You are full of complacency. You are arrogant and self-righteous. I used to love you. You were my best friend. Now you're like that guy in the John Cusack movies that nobody likes. You think your shit don't stink and nothing can ever stop you.

The problem with those Cusack movies is that the douchebag always loses in the end. This post is a warning to you, my quit. Stop being a douchebag. You used to be cool. You used to be humble. You used to care about yourself and take pride in what you did every day. Now you're arrogant. You come and go as you please with no real committment to anything. You're a disappointment.

I stumbled across an article today about CU banning dip on campus and it made me think of you. What happened to us? We were so good together. Now you think your too cool for anyone. I went back and read this entire intro - from beginning to end. Goddam I was proud of you. I cried - ACTUALLY CRIED - as I read this intro today. I cried because of all the amazing support you received along the way. I also cried, I think, because I feel like you're dying. Dying of a disease called compacency. You tried to stop it in October, but nothing ever came of it.

Please, Quit, remember where you came from. Stop being arrogant. Just because you made it this far doesn't mean you'll make it until tomorrow. I still love you, quit. But I loved you a lot more when I thought you loved yourself.

Pat.
Find the balance friend. It is there.

You can do this.

Offline per034

• Quitter
  • Interests: My family - 2 amazingly brilliant and beautiful children and an equally amazing and beautiful wife. Sports - Mets and Giants for teams, golf for weekends... Bagpipes. Been playing bagpipes longer than I've been dipping. And that's a long friggin' time.
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #102 on: January 13, 2012, 03:05:00 PM »
Dear Quit,

You are a fucking joke. You are full of complacency. You are arrogant and self-righteous. I used to love you. You were my best friend. Now you're like that guy in the John Cusack movies that nobody likes. You think your shit don't stink and nothing can ever stop you.

The problem with those Cusack movies is that the douchebag always loses in the end. This post is a warning to you, my quit. Stop being a douchebag. You used to be cool. You used to be humble. You used to care about yourself and take pride in what you did every day. Now you're arrogant. You come and go as you please with no real committment to anything. You're a disappointment.

I stumbled across an article today about CU banning dip on campus and it made me think of you. What happened to us? We were so good together. Now you think your too cool for anyone. I went back and read this entire intro - from beginning to end. Goddam I was proud of you. I cried - ACTUALLY CRIED - as I read this intro today. I cried because of all the amazing support you received along the way. I also cried, I think, because I feel like you're dying. Dying of a disease called compacency. You tried to stop it in October, but nothing ever came of it.

Please, Quit, remember where you came from. Stop being arrogant. Just because you made it this far doesn't mean you'll make it until tomorrow. I still love you, quit. But I loved you a lot more when I thought you loved yourself.

Pat.
The love you get here is conditional. The condition is that you are quit.

"Every time you bump someone and dont fix it, a kitten dies" - Jost2Brown

Offline luby

• Quitting MoFo
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #101 on: October 18, 2011, 10:07:00 PM »
It's been a while. At least a month since I was really "here." My quit has gotten looser since I hit the hall. Check that - my quit has gotten looser since WDE hit the hall. He was the last of the Quitheads. Once the spreadsheet went away, so did I. I've been posting roll, but I haven't really "been here." I've actually missed roll a few times. I remember the first day distinctly. Early in the morning, when it was time to post roll, I was running late for work so I didn't have time. I figured I'd post roll when I got to work. Done it plenty of times before. No biggie. Then when I got there, I had meetings all morning. Before I knew it, it was time to catch my train... Got home, dinner, playing with the kids... the time just got away from me. I racked out. When I hit the pillow I realized I hadn't posted roll. I thought "fuck it, so I miss one day. So many other quitters miss a day here an there. Big deal." Here's the problem. It was a big deal. Three days later I missed roll again. It was so easy to just say "fuck it" again. And then again a week later.

Here's the problem, though. That attitude is the EXACT attitude that will get me back to dipping. It would be so easy to say "fuck it, one dip isn't that big a deal." Then three days later, say it again... then a week later say it again. That's the attitude that gets you back to the Hess mart buying two tins a day. I don't want to go back there. I won't go back there.

But here's another problem. The key tenet of this site is "post roll, repeat." But that's not enough. Not for me. I've done that for a month. I've hopped on, posted roll, and hopped off. Back again the next day - same routine. What the fuck is that? What does that do for me? Posting roll isn't enough. At least not for me. I need the energy that comes from new quitters. I need to reconnect with my Quitheads. I need to be really HERE for this site to work for me.

So that's what this post is about. Being here. I need to be here every day. Not just posting roll. But being here. My committment didn't end in August with the spreadsheet. My quit is eternal. But I cannot do it alone. I need this place. I need you. It's not about posting roll. My committment to you cannot end with "Per034 - Day XXX." Because that committment is weak. And that makes my quit weak. What makes my quit strong is helping other quitters get over their demons. And that's what I'm going to start doing. Again.
I have read this post more than once, and I have learned from it.
I am glad you have come to this conclusion because this site is a better place with you involved. You gave some of the best advice I have received (and that is saying a lot around here) You have helped me a lot and I am glad you will be here to help others.

Offline Souliman

• Quitting MoFo
  • Interests: Swim Bike Run - Shooting - Chasing my boys around.
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #100 on: October 18, 2011, 08:54:00 PM »
But here's another problem. The key tenet of this site is "post roll, repeat." But that's not enough. Not for me. I've done that for a month. I've hopped on, posted roll, and hopped off. Back again the next day - same routine. What the fuck is that? What does that do for me? Posting roll isn't enough. At least not for me. I need the energy that comes from new quitters. I need to reconnect with my Quitheads. I need to be really HERE for this site to work for me.
Right on Per. I feel exactly the same way on this point. Standing near the door of this place reminds me how bad the storm is out there when you're being beaten down by the nic bitch. That power of fresh quit is contagious.

Offline LLCope

• Quitter
« Reply #99 on: October 18, 2011, 06:52:00 AM »
It's been a while. At least a month since I was really "here." My quit has gotten looser since I hit the hall. Check that - my quit has gotten looser since WDE hit the hall. He was the last of the Quitheads. Once the spreadsheet went away, so did I. I've been posting roll, but I haven't really "been here." I've actually missed roll a few times. I remember the first day distinctly. Early in the morning, when it was time to post roll, I was running late for work so I didn't have time. I figured I'd post roll when I got to work. Done it plenty of times before. No biggie. Then when I got there, I had meetings all morning. Before I knew it, it was time to catch my train... Got home, dinner, playing with the kids... the time just got away from me. I racked out. When I hit the pillow I realized I hadn't posted roll. I thought "fuck it, so I miss one day. So many other quitters miss a day here an there. Big deal." Here's the problem. It was a big deal. Three days later I missed roll again. It was so easy to just say "fuck it" again. And then again a week later.

Here's the problem, though. That attitude is the EXACT attitude that will get me back to dipping. It would be so easy to say "fuck it, one dip isn't that big a deal." Then three days later, say it again... then a week later say it again. That's the attitude that gets you back to the Hess mart buying two tins a day. I don't want to go back there. I won't go back there.

So that's what this post is about. Being here. I need to be here every day. Not just posting roll. But being here. My committment didn't end in August with the spreadsheet. My quit is eternal. But I cannot do it alone. I need this place. I need you. It's not about posting roll. My committment to you cannot end with "Per034 - Day XXX." Because that committment is weak. And that makes my quit weak. What makes my quit strong is helping other quitters get over their demons. And that's what I'm going to start doing. Again.
:D
"A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can do without" HD Thoreau

Offline dchogs

• Quitting MoFo
  • Quit Date: May 16, 2011
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #98 on: October 17, 2011, 11:08:00 PM »

nice post, per. i'm right there with you. let's get back in this game. i've been waiting for work to slow down, but it's not. i'm going to have to make even more of an effort, which for me is perfect. nothing worthwhile is easy.

see you tomorrow.
Quit- 5/16/2011. One day at a time.
HoF- 8/23/2011; 2nd Floor- 12/1/2011; 3rd Floor- 3/10/2012; 4th Floor- 6/18/2012; 5th Floor- 9/27/2012; 6th Floor- 1/4/2013; 7th Floor- 4/14/2013; 8th Floor- 7/23/2013; 9th Floor- 10/31/2013; 10th Floor- 2/8/2014; 11th Floor- 5/19/2014; 12th Floor- 8/27/2014; 13th Floor- 12/5/14; 14th floor- 3/15/15; 15th floor- 6/23/15; 16th floor- 10/1/15; 17th floor- 1/9/16; 18th floor- 4/18/16; 19th floor- 7/26/16; 20th floor- 11/4/16; 21st floor- 2/12/17; 22nd Floor- 5/23/17; 23rd Floor- 8/31/17; 24th Floor- 12/9/17; 25th floor- 3/19/18; 26th floor- 6/27/18; 27th floor- 10/5/18; 28th floor- 1/13/19; 29th foor- 4/22/19; 30th floor- 7/31/19; 31st floor- 11/8/19; 32nd floor- 2/17/20; 33rd floor- 5/27/20; 34th floor- 9/4/20; 35th floor- 12/13/20; 36th floor- 3/23/21; 37th floor- 7/1/21; 38th floor- 10/9/21; 39th floor- 1/17/22; 40th floor- 4/27/22; 41st floor- 8/5/22; 42nd floor- 11/12/22; 43rd floor- 2/20/23; 44th floor- 6/1/23; 45th floor- 9/9/23; 46th floor- 12/18/23; 47th floor- 3/27/24.

"He which hath no stomach to this fight let him depart. But we in it shall be remembered. We few, we happy few, we band of brothers! For he today, that sheds his blood with me, shall always be my brother." (Wm. Shakespeare). For August '11.

Who dares, wins.

Stay quit... it is life or death and that is the undeniable truth.

"To be driven by our appetites alone is slavery, while to obey a law that we have imposed on ourselves is freedom." Rosseau

Offline Scowick65

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #97 on: October 02, 2011, 09:42:00 PM »

Yes, you ave much to offer. Love it!

Offline per034

• Quitter
  • Interests: My family - 2 amazingly brilliant and beautiful children and an equally amazing and beautiful wife. Sports - Mets and Giants for teams, golf for weekends... Bagpipes. Been playing bagpipes longer than I've been dipping. And that's a long friggin' time.
« Reply #96 on: October 02, 2011, 09:19:00 PM »

Offline LLCope

• Quitter
« Reply #95 on: August 17, 2011, 08:35:00 PM »
Per,

This site also needs you! You are HOF now and the newbies and others (like myself--half newbie) need your perspective. Everyone's quit is different and unique. Now is a good time to start and continue this daily journal (your intro) for others to follow your awesome story--the ups and downs. To gain wisdom from your perspective.

Proud to be quit with you!
"A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can do without" HD Thoreau

Offline gladitsnotheroine

• Quitter
« Reply #94 on: August 17, 2011, 08:23:00 PM »
Quote from: gmann
I need this place every fucking day.
Ditto.
True Dat!
Reading KTC and Rocking to DBT!

Quit date 08/05/2011

Offline G

• Admin (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #93 on: August 17, 2011, 05:53:00 PM »
I need this place every fucking day.
Ditto.

Offline per034

• Quitter
« Reply #92 on: August 17, 2011, 05:04:00 PM »
I hit a pretty nasty funk today. I was warned. Even at day 114 the craves are hitting. I'm pretty sure it's because I've gone from spending hours on this site every day to spending minutes here. For the past couple of weeks it's been in and out - post roll, get back to work. Things have gotten bullshit crazy at work and I haven't had chance to take a piss let alone get my much needed support here.

But the crave was bad today, so fuck work. I need this place. I needed to dive into the spreadsheet that I've completely neglected for the last 8 days. I needed to remind myself why this place keeps the bitch at bay. I hit the hall and thought it was a nice milestone - but I'm a realist. I know there are big battles still ahead. But I also thought I could hop on and hop off and I would be OK. My quit's been strong... going easy for a day or two on KTC won't hurt me. I've stopped posting support in other groups... becuase I can only get on and off. I've stopped reading HOFs and Intros... because I can only get on and off. I didn't realize today's was Dante's day until I posted. I should have known that before I logged on. I'm disappointed in myself for letting my committment to KTC slide. I'm disappointed that I let my committment to my quitheads slide. I'm still quit. 100% full on quit as a mother fucker quit. But I need this place.

Today was tough. Yesteday was tough. The weekend in Vermont was tough. I need this place. I need this place every fucking day.

Offline Cancrusher

• Quitter
  • Interests: Quit.
« Reply #91 on: August 04, 2011, 12:23:00 PM »
Quote from: Souliman
Day 100.

yes. day 100. I want to keep typing that. day 100 day 100 day 100 day 100....

One day I'll write a HOF speech. This isn't it. I have a pretty good idea what it will be about and what I'll write. My biggest concern is leaving people out when I name names. There have been so many quitters on this site that have inspired me and made my quit tighter. I don't want to forget any one of them when it comes time to name names. But I know I will. And let me apologize ahead of time for that.

Today is my day. I knew in April that today would be special. That it would be a day for me to celebrate. As long as I was still quit when I got here, today would be a day to celebrate. I woke up early this morning and I was quit. The first thing my wife said to me wasn't "get up you fat shit" or "turn the alarm off." No - the first word out of her mouth this morning was congratulations. She had a smile on her face. She's not a morning person. But she was beaming. When my wife smiles she lights up a room. My actions made her smile like that. That makes me proud.

Yesterday one of my colleagues gave his 2-weeks notice. Today I learned that I'm taking responsibility for his team. Of all days to get that news, it's today. My Day. This is a day to celebrate.

It's raining right now, so the day isn't all rainbows and lollipops. But it's a pretty good fricken day.
That is awesome. Simple as that. That is just awesome.

Congrats brother.
I have to second that SoulMan...The Quit is strong with this one, of that I am certain.

Another beacon of light to the masses that IT CAN BE DONE!

Way to go brother! So happy for you and your family today.

Remember though, this is just the beginning. You dipped a lot longer than you've been Quit. Not trying to knock you down on this glorious day, just plant that in the back of your head. It's a long road, but hey! Guess what! We've got the rest of our lives to get there!

Enjoy the beautiful life you've given yourself!
My Day 1 | 5/19/2010

PLAY STUPID GAMES, WIN STUPID PRIZES.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Offline Ruderunner

• Quitter
  • Interests: Coaching my 2 boys (baseball/street hockey), triathlon training, yard work, reading.
« Reply #90 on: August 04, 2011, 10:43:00 AM »
Way to go per, proud to be quit w/you!
VAG PUNCHING THE NIC BITCH DAILY...
F-UST, F- the nic bitch and FUCK the GOVT for allowing this industry to thrive and prosper by targetting and poisoning our youngest for PROFIT. ASSHOLES!!!!!!!