Author Topic: Tired of the stress  (Read 1839 times)

e=mc^2

Re: Tired of the stress
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2015, 02:13:00 AM »
CDK,

Congrats on your decision to quit and welcome to KTC. I quit with you today! If you'd like to exchange numbers lmk and I will PM you mine.

Offline cdk

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2015-10-18
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2015, 07:28:00 PM »
Quote from: quark
Quote from: cdk
I think i am going to have trouble fighting the urges in certain situations (after drinking/long drives/golfing/yard work etc) I know the last time I fucked up because I was quit for 2 weeks and threw one in after drinking and watching football with a buddy.
Stay away from alcohol for the first 50 days, since it lowers you inhibition as well as promotes a buzz crave. Once you have some quit time behind you, then you can try alcohol again.

You may need something to occupy your mouth for your first 100 days during your 'certain situations': I used wintergreen lifesavers pretty constantly, but others swear by the imitation dip.
Thanks I should certainly try and cut out, or at least limit the drinking going forward. I don't know which will be harder no dip or no beer... I'm not an alcoholic by any means but am a social drinker. I will keep posted on what I find works for me. I might check out the fake stuff, but then again Id rather go without and get rid of the ritual of packing a lip altogeter even if it's coffee grinds instead of carcinogens...

Offline DjPorkchop

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quitter
  • Mother Fricker!!!
    • PaPa Ray's Photography
  • Quit Date: 9/17/2015
  • Interests: Brewing Beer and Building Cheap Smokers (UDS Drums)
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2015, 04:48:00 PM »
You'll like the DOG House CDK. There is some bad ass quitters in that group. Take care. If there is ever anything you need, PM me.
If I could I would. If I don't, it's because I am lazy.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Offline quark

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2015-03-23
  • Interests: Biking, swimming, running, reading
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2015, 04:44:00 PM »
I think i am going to have trouble fighting the urges in certain situations (after drinking/long drives/golfing/yard work etc) I know the last time I fucked up because I was quit for 2 weeks and threw one in after drinking and watching football with a buddy.
Stay away from alcohol for the first 50 days, since it lowers you inhibition as well as promotes a buzz crave. Once you have some quit time behind you, then you can try alcohol again.

You may need something to occupy your mouth for your first 100 days during your 'certain situations': I used wintergreen lifesavers pretty constantly, but others swear by the imitation dip.

Offline Can_I_Kick_It?

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2015-09-26
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2015, 04:43:00 PM »
CDK,

We are with you. I quit with you today, but just today. We'll talk about tomorrow, tomorrow.

Don't let that sneaky pimp, Nic, start whispering sweet nothings in your ear. Smack the ish out of him and keep it moving EDD!

DOG house!

Offline Dundippin

• Quitter
  • Shift your focus so you do not think about it
    • Recovery Meeting Place
  • Quit Date: 9/15/2015
  • Interests: Web development, database design, management, weightlifting, bike riding, gardening and watching the Baltimore Ravens.
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2015, 03:57:00 PM »
CDK,

I am jealous that you are smart enough at the age of 23 to quit snuff. I quit at 59. You will have many wonderful times not shackled to the habit. Welcome to your freedom.

This a great deal of good advise on this site. Look around.

I quit with you today.

Offline cdk

• Quitter
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2015, 03:45:00 PM »
Thanks all!
I've gone days/weeks without dip before during this crappy addiction, but I've always been brought back with some trigger. Part of this quit is admitting that this isn't just a habit this is an addiction. I think i am going to have trouble fighting the urges in certain situations (after drinking/long drives/golfing/yard work etc) I know the last time I fucked up because I was quit for 2 weeks and threw one in after drinking and watching football with a buddy.

I wont be that weak this time and will keep this promise to myself! Glad to be here

Offline canless2014

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2014-06-30
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2015, 08:57:00 PM »
CDK, welcome to the battle brother.

I've got good and bad news for you. Good news is you've found the best site for brotherhood and accountability while quitting nicotine that's out there. With KTC as your toolbox, you can post roll and pledge daily to remain nicotine-free. You will always be a nicotine addict, that's the result of a decision you made five years ago. But by committing every day to being a non-user, you're going to improve your life tenfold.

Here's the bad news: This is a damn hard fight. You've gotten past the physical part ... now it's mental, psychological, and emotional. Young guys like us (I'm 22) don't have the best track record here at KTC. I've spent a while thinking about why that is, and I think it's because we have a hard time thinking of "the rest of our lives" without dip, a cig, or a celebratory cigar.

So don't think about that. Put it out of your head. All you've got to do is quit for today, the next 24 hours. Wake up every morning and make the decision, then go post your promise and don't you dare break your word. Then repeat, One Day At A Time.

Quit with you today.
"Post roll. Post more if you want to. That's the beauty of the place: We ask you post roll. We ask you to be honest. That's all. No more. No less. Be there for your brothers and ask for help when you need it." - Wastepanel 10/6/14

"What would you do to save your own life? If you were fighting cancer today would you suffer through Chemo, surgeries, try new a therapy? change your diet, go to church? What intolerable hell would you endure to simply live. When you have thought long and hard about that, think on this. Why not apply that attitude to your quit. Suffer through the temporary discomfort of withdrawal to achieve your freedom from a slow painful demise via nicotine. Your in the ring already- fight like you mean it." - Skoal Monster 10/8/14

Quit Date: 6/30/2014 at 4:30 PM

HOF Date: 10/07/2014

Offline JB65

• Quitting MoFo
  • Lennie and Henry
  • Quit Date: August 17, 2015
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2015, 08:10:00 PM »
Quote from: KingNothing
Thank you! Think I figured it out. Will have to get used to it!
You got it on the first try CDK, nicely done. I promise you ODAAT (one day at a time) will get it done. This gets so much better, I can't even begin to tell you about it. You will be amazed what you're capable of without poison coursing through your veins at all times.
CDK, glad to see you here. Nice job on the quit. January is full of great quitters who get it and will help you.

I'm so glad you're so young and so friggin smart to realize dip is no good. Glad you didnt wait until you were and old f#$ like me?.

Proud to be quit with you today

Offline KingNothing

• Master of Quit
  • Quit Date: 2015-07-10
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2015, 07:22:00 PM »
You got it on the first try CDK, nicely done. I promise you ODAAT (one day at a time) will get it done. This gets so much better, I can't even begin to tell you about it. You will be amazed what you're capable of without poison coursing through your veins at all times.
"Fuck nicotine dude. You don't need it. And you don't want it. It didn't do a thing for you and you know it." - worktowin
"today you dissided that shit wont control your life. and it wont. unless you let it." - drome
"Not thinking about nicotine is for people who've never used nicotine. We threw that option away with the first dip or drag on a cigarette. We are addicts, and cannot become un-addicted." - wildirish317
"You need to decide how much you really want to be quit." - pky1520
We are always at risk. And probably always will be. That is why I will never get "too quit" to post my +1. Every. Damn. Day. - geis2597

Intro
Freedom Tastes So Good

Quit: 7/10/15, HOF: 10/17/15, 2nd Floor: 1/25/16, 3rd Floor: 5/4/16, 1 year: 7/10/16 4th Floor: 8/12/16, 5th Floor: 11/20/16, 6th Floor: 2/28/17, 7th Floor: 6/8/17, 2 years: 7/10/17, 8th Floor: 9/16/17, 9th Floor: 12/25/17, Comma: 4/4/18, 3 years: 7/10/18, 11th Floor: 7/13/18

Offline cdk

• Quitter
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2015, 07:18:00 PM »

Offline fowlmouth

• Quit Pro
  • Quit Date: 2015-09-28
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2015, 07:07:00 PM »
You can just post your promise here if you'd like! Ignore that quit drama for now!

Online Nomore1959

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Likes Given: 329
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2015, 06:47:00 PM »
On my third day of no tobacco use and am hoping to make this work for good. I am 23 and have been dipping pretty regularly for the last 5 and a half years. Whew can't believe I've done this shit that long. I started dipping after drinking with friends back then but it has evolved into a closet habit I am ashamed of. I always justified it that I didn't do it that much (at most 1-2 cans/week rarely more), but I have to admit to myself that I am hooked. I was hooked immediately when I tried it for the first time.

I used dip as a stress reliever but now I've figured out that it has always caused more stress than it did good. ( constantly hiding the habit, worried about potential health problems etc.) Recently one of my parents was diagnosed with terminal cancer (not related to tobacco), and now it is the time to kill this horrible habit and minimize my risk as much as possible.

Here's to no more.....
You rang? (Kidding)

Good decision, and well done in figuring out a couple key points. Dip doesn't relieve stress, it creates stress for when you are not dipping -- nicotine is like that. And hooked is the right word, we are all nicotine addicts here.

Read up around the site, what to expect, words of wisdom, hall of fame speeches.

Post roll*, your promise to yourself and all here that you will not use nicotine for 24 hours. Get to know other quitters and exchange digits (PM me if you want).

Drink lots of water, exercise, let your rage out here, not at friends and family. We can quit one day at a time, every damn day.

* you fit with the January 2016 quit group, there is a rage fest there right now. It will blow over, and the Dogs will welcome and support you and your quit. The rage is about accountability, and general quit rage. (Again feel free to PM me to make sense of it).

Offline fowlmouth

• Quit Pro
  • Quit Date: 2015-09-28
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2015, 06:40:00 PM »
Fantastic decision Mr. cdk! You won't regret it!

Here is the KEY to the site: post roll every damn day (EDD). Posting roll is your promise to us that you will not use nicotine for 24 hours--just 24 hours--and then you keep your word for 24 hours.

So head to the most recent January roll post (here) and post something like this:

cdk - day 3

And then wake up and post your day 4 tomorrow!

Proud to quit with you cdk!

Offline cdk

• Quitter
Tired of the stress
« on: October 20, 2015, 06:34:00 PM »
On my third day of no tobacco use and am hoping to make this work for good. I am 23 and have been dipping pretty regularly for the last 5 and a half years. Whew can't believe I've done this shit that long. I started dipping after drinking with friends back then but it has evolved into a closet habit I am ashamed of. I always justified it that I didn't do it that much (at most 1-2 cans/week rarely more), but I have to admit to myself that I am hooked. I was hooked immediately when I tried it for the first time.

I used dip as a stress reliever but now I've figured out that it has always caused more stress than it did good. ( constantly hiding the habit, worried about potential health problems etc.) Recently one of my parents was diagnosed with terminal cancer (not related to tobacco), and now it is the time to kill this horrible habit and minimize my risk as much as possible.

Here's to no more.....