Author Topic: Why???;  (Read 2591 times)

Offline Dr. Bruce Banner

• Quitter
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Why???;
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2010, 12:46:00 PM »
Quote from: HKS
Totally Agree. I am here to be totally honest and to support others and myself with our addictions. Plain and Simple. You are right. Its too bad that this can't really be done more so in person, like an AA meeting. :D
Thank you to everyone for thier responses.
There are quitters all over the country, find someone close to you and get in contact with them...call, pm, e-mail.....set a personal meet with them, do that and I promise that your quit will be strong, invest in your quit, invest in someone elses quit.

there are quitter get togethers in the Wildcard section and a where are you from forum as well
HOF 2/2/2010
2nd 5/12/2010
3rd 8/20/2010
4th 11/29/2010

Within our capabilities, orginating in our attitudes and culminating in our actions

Offline grimace8777

• Quitter
  • Interests: Rock Climbing, Running, Fathering
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2010, 10:40:00 AM »
Quote from: duvallp
Grimace8777, if you can quit for 9 months, you can surely do it again.  Look at your cave as a bump in the road and get back on track.  Post every day and rely on your quit brothers for additional support.
I can do it again and I will do it again right now. I just never realized before how powerful the addiction really is. 9 months later my mind manages to tell me it's ok to have one. I thought I could handle it, well I can't and that is very apparent to me now. I don't want anything to have that much control over my life, have grinded out 4 days so far, one day at a time I'll post everyday.

Offline HKS

• Quitter
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2010, 09:36:00 AM »
Totally Agree. I am here to be totally honest and to support others and myself with our addictions. Plain and Simple. You are right. Its too bad that this can't really be done more so in person, like an AA meeting. :D
Thank you to everyone for thier responses.

Offline LaQuitter

• Quit Pro
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2010, 08:21:00 PM »
I agree with what you have said but I struggle with the idea that someone is trying to please XYZ on the board. I do agree with you and realize that everyone is different and their motivational factors are different too.
Posting roll isn't about "pleasing" anyone. It's about a group coming together and supporting each other in a battle against an addiction.

This place works because of accountability, plain and simple. To oneself, and to your fellow quitters. It only works if someone is an honest person that is able to keep their word. You must have integrity, and be trustworthy. If someone doesn't keep their word, their failure and/or dishonesty only hurts themselves. A quitter fails only if he chooses to.

I'm not here to please other quitters. I am here to stand with them against a common enemy, and support them through the dark days. I also come here for support in my fight with this addiction. I give my word, and I keep my word. As long as I do that, I will not fail.

Are you able to say the same thing?
Quit: Saturday, May 2, 2009
HOF: Monday, August 10, 2009

La's HOF Speech

"Post roll like 8 pounds 6 ounces... new born infant jesus himself was telling you to do it" - Jaydisco

Offline duvallp

• Quitter
  • Interests: Playing poker and hockey. Go Red Wings!
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2010, 07:09:00 PM »
Grimace8777, if you can quit for 9 months, you can surely do it again. Look at your cave as a bump in the road and get back on track. Post every day and rely on your quit brothers for additional support.

Offline HKS

• Quitter
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2010, 05:01:00 PM »
you are right, i guess I am having a difficult time with doing all this on the computer. I almost feal like I am hiding behind this computer. it can be so impersonal. This being my first true quit, i have included most of my family and friends and it has been going well. All of the posters have made great points and I know everyone is different, its really this whole hidden computer thing. it sucks, but it is better than no support at all.

Offline Maverick55

• Quitter
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2010, 04:51:00 PM »
Being accountable to others is important but if you can't be accountable to yourself, first and foremost, you will always fail.
Relying on your ability to be accountable to yourself let you down last time - why do you feel this time will be different? Go back and read USAFCCT's post - of course you have to be accountable to yourself, but are you strong enough to go that extra step and give your word to this group that you won't dip and then live up to your word? Sure, you're accountable to yourself, you've come this far - but if all you're going to do is come to this site for some help when you're weak than what value do YOU bring to this group?

This site works because every morning I wake up and the first thing on my mind is posting. That if I don't post, someone will notice and will want to know where I've been and if I caved. If I caved I would let those around me down, the guys I've been giving my word to everyday would know my word was no good - and that should damn well motivate you.
Quit Date: 11/06/10
HOF Date: 02/14/11
2nd Floor: 05/25/11
3rd Floor: 09/02/11
4th Floor: 12/12/11
5th Floor: 03/19/12
6th Floor: 06/27/12

Offline HKS

• Quitter
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2010, 04:51:00 PM »
it is great that everyone is posting and supporting each other but my thought was that if I cave, and just speaking for myself, I take full responsibility for it and know that I am soley responsible for my failure to live up to myself. The accountability factor to the site is second and distant. Granted I would feel bad but I only let myself down.

Offline HKS

• Quitter
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2010, 04:50:00 PM »
duplicate

Offline sapperred1

• Quitter
  • Interests: Harley's and Jeeps.
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2010, 04:42:00 PM »
Why is it that it matters about posting? At work, outside the door you can see a gas station. They sell chew any kind you want. The first couple of days on this site I would walk out the and look at that gas station thinking I should go get a can. But I did not because I put my name on this list with people I do not really know. They would not know if I did but I did not. Why it works I am not sure whether for me or for you guys. I just know it works so far for me.
sapperred1

Offline HKS

• Quitter
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2010, 04:42:00 PM »
If, by posting roll on this site, we do not dip solely because we don't want to let XYZ down - then great - it stopped us from doing something we otherwise wouldn't have any control over for the day. ( yes we do have control over this, don't use the substance ) Granted, easier said than done.

Offline HKS

• Quitter
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2010, 04:39:00 PM »
I agree with what you have said but I struggle with the idea that someone is trying to please XYZ on the board. I do agree with you and realize that everyone is different and their motivational factors are different too.

Offline kms

• Quitter
  • Interests: Running, lifting weights, & spending time with my 3 kids.
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2010, 04:32:00 PM »
USAFCCT: I really appeciate the help from everyone on the board but I am not doing this for anyone but myself. I post b/c I want to post and not b/c someone is waiting for my HKS to show up and my number count. I know people care and I believe it but if I was doing this to please my wife, I would develop a nice,old, big resentment. They say that you are selffish in your addiction , and I certainly believe that, but you must also be selffish in your recovery, to a point. Asking for support in your recovery is vital and this board is one of the ways to do it. If someone is posting on this board b/c they don't want to let XYZ down, that will only last for a short while.....god bless and stay quit.

I disagree - at least from my standpoint - if we allow an addition to control us then we obviously do not have any respect or accountability for ourselves. By being members on this site we have stated that we have an addiction that is controlling us  are looking for help. If, by posting roll on this site, we do not dip solely because we don't want to let XYZ down - then great - it stopped us from doing something we otherwise wouldn't have any control over for the day. I can tell you that I would not have made it to day 4 except for the fact that I posted roll (late in the afternoon because I was thinking about caving). If need to lean on somebody because I can't do it for myself right now - then so be it. Because after that time comes when I realize I have my own strength  can do this for myself, then I will be there for others to lean on. I'm hoping that they will have enough respect for me to post roll every day even if they are quitting just because they don't want to let me down. If that gets them to a point where they are stronger  able to quit for themselves then maybe it will be a life saved that otherwise could have been lost.
Kelly

Offline HKS

• Quitter
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2010, 02:22:00 PM »
Being accountable to others is important but if you can't be accountable to yourself, first and foremost, you will always fail.

Offline HKS

• Quitter
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2010, 02:20:00 PM »
USAFCCT: I really appeciate the help from everyone on the board but I am not doing this for anyone but myself. I post b/c I want to post and not b/c someone is waiting for my HKS to show up and my number count. I know people care and I believe it but if I was doing this to please my wife, I would develop a nice,old, big resentment. They say that you are selffish in your addiction , and I certainly believe that, but you must also be selffish in your recovery, to a point. Asking for support in your recovery is vital and this board is one of the ways to do it. If someone is posting on this board b/c they don't want to let XYZ down, that will only last for a short while.....god bless and stay quit.