Author Topic: Second try  (Read 1520 times)

Offline motorman

• BANNED
  • Quitter
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Second try
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 11:22:00 AM »
Quote from: hornet
Hey all,
Friday night I threw my last can out the window as I drove home, so I'm on day three of my second attempt. Until I started typing this post I'd never contemplated how many years I've been dipping and the answer is a little shocking - 19 years.

My first attempt was about two years ago and went surprisingly well, though I remember the first two weeks being especially difficult. I went 9 months without and thought I'd seen the last of the stuff when life threw a curve ball. It was a particularly tough time that led me to quit drinking but in the moment of weakness and stress I let my guard down about dipping and that bastard snuck right back into my life.

Funny, I've been drinking about as long as I've been dipping and once I decided to quit drinking I never had one urge or craving for booze. But this tobacco is a different animal for me. It's grip is complete - physical, mental, chemical. It's a deceitful devil and I'm amazed how it tricks the mind. One day quitting seems to be the highest priority and the next day it just doesn't seem that important. Reality is blurred and logical thought is short circuited by the craving that justifies and downplays every means to it's end.

Sorry, ran off on a tangent there. Anyway, here I am.
Congrats bro, glad your quit again!!! Stay strong!

Offline hornet

• Quitter
  • Likes Given: 0
Second try
« on: January 17, 2011, 10:55:00 AM »
Hey all,
Friday night I threw my last can out the window as I drove home, so I'm on day three of my second attempt. Until I started typing this post I'd never contemplated how many years I've been dipping and the answer is a little shocking - 19 years.

My first attempt was about two years ago and went surprisingly well, though I remember the first two weeks being especially difficult. I went 9 months without and thought I'd seen the last of the stuff when life threw a curve ball. It was a particularly tough time that led me to quit drinking but in the moment of weakness and stress I let my guard down about dipping and that bastard snuck right back into my life.

Funny, I've been drinking about as long as I've been dipping and once I decided to quit drinking I never had one urge or craving for booze. But this tobacco is a different animal for me. It's grip is complete - physical, mental, chemical. It's a deceitful devil and I'm amazed how it tricks the mind. One day quitting seems to be the highest priority and the next day it just doesn't seem that important. Reality is blurred and logical thought is short circuited by the craving that justifies and downplays every means to it's end.

Sorry, ran off on a tangent there. Anyway, here I am.