Author Topic: Nicotine has left the building  (Read 5383 times)

Offline mich 34

• Quit Pro
    • www.facebook.com
  • Interests: reading, hunting, fishing, above all - spending time with the wife and kids (when they are being good!!)
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Nicotine has left the building
« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2013, 07:17:00 PM »
I was going to throw you a text today, just to check on you but wasn't sure about your text plan, you get unlimited yet? Have a good weekend, no nic, no suckin' on tailpipes...
my intro
QD 07-19-2012
Group - Roctober Madmen Post with some Madmen (and women)
HOF 10-27-12 HOF Speech
2nd Floor 2-4-13, 3rd Floor 5-15-13
1 year of freedom - 7-19-2013. Thank you KTC
4th Floor 8-23-13, 5th Floor 12-1-13, 6th Floor 3-11-14, 7th Floor 6-19-14, 8th Floor 9-27-14, 9th Floor 1-5-15

Offline srans

• Quit Pro
  • Interests: Fishing and playing the guitar.
« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2013, 07:00:00 PM »
Quote from: dabean22
I just stepped out of a store to someone standing there on a smoke break. So much happened in the next 10 seconds it's almost like it was in slow motion.

I looked at her and immediately felt pity for her because she was still shackled to a freaking weed.

I wondered if I should say something to her like "Wouldn't you love it if you could just wake up tomorrow and be a non-smoker?" (she looked mean and pissed off so I decided against it)

I smelled the cigarette and realized.... "Holy Shit, I've been subjecting strangers to my smoke smell for nearly 20 years with barely a thought beyond.... "I can't smoke inside so screw you, you are going to smell my cigarette when you leave the building". I was a dick.

It smelled good. Real good. (wait for it) I walked about 15 feet away all along wondering if my quit was really as solid as I've led my self to believe. I knew, even as I still enjoyed the smell of the cigarette, that I didn't want one but for a moment, I wondered if it would ever be able to tempt me in the future. Then it happened.

I walked behind a big diesel pickup truck idling and smelled that exhaust. I noticed how strangely similar they were and it clicked. I've gotten used to the smell of poison and trained my brain to like it. I know some people when they quit smoking, absolutely hate the smell. I don't believe that I'll be one of those people. My dad had a diesel pickup when I was a kid and that smell brings me back to some really good memories.
I walked away from there with a smile on my face. I have never ever looked for a diesel truck and stuck my mouth on the tale pipe to bring those memories back. I have no reason to feel like I need to fear the fact that the smell of a cigarette doesn't disgust me. It just means that I can be around a smoker from time to time without acting like I'm grossed out (unless I want to fuck with them). I have no idea if this is a healthy attitude or stupid reasoning but it's just the way I felt at the time. Tested (with a small crave) but happy that it's gone from my life.
Good job realizing the truths brother. You are starting to uncover the lies daily.

Screw the Smell. You will eventually hate the Smell. It is the smell of slavery and death. Screw the way it looks, smells and feels. I can't stand anything about the poison. It fuels my quit. Join me brother. SCREW THE POISON!!! Glad to be quit with you.
Hof date may 25, 2013
HoF Speech

The poison sucks. I hate it. I hated it this morning, I hated it at noon, I hated it at supper and I hate it tonight. I enjoy hating it so much I'm going to wake up tomorrow and start over hating it. I quit with anyone that wants to hate it with me.

Offline dabean22

• Quitter
  • Interests: I was addicted to nicotine for about 19 years before I actually realized that I was an addict to a drug. Allen Carr helped open my eyes with LionHeartedGirl (my sister). I am currently on day 2 and because of the frame of mind and different point of view that "The Easy Way" has given me, I don't doubt for one moment that I have ingested the last bit of that weed for the rest of my life. I am 35 now and am setting a goal of living long enough to have saved $100,000 because of my quit. At the same time, I am setting the goal of not smoking TODAY! One step at a time, while keeping my eyes on the horizon.
« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2013, 06:39:00 PM »
I just stepped out of a store to someone standing there on a smoke break. So much happened in the next 10 seconds it's almost like it was in slow motion.

I looked at her and immediately felt pity for her because she was still shackled to a freaking weed.

I wondered if I should say something to her like "Wouldn't you love it if you could just wake up tomorrow and be a non-smoker?" (she looked mean and pissed off so I decided against it)

I smelled the cigarette and realized.... "Holy Shit, I've been subjecting strangers to my smoke smell for nearly 20 years with barely a thought beyond.... "I can't smoke inside so screw you, you are going to smell my cigarette when you leave the building". I was a dick.

It smelled good. Real good. (wait for it) I walked about 15 feet away all along wondering if my quit was really as solid as I've led my self to believe. I knew, even as I still enjoyed the smell of the cigarette, that I didn't want one but for a moment, I wondered if it would ever be able to tempt me in the future. Then it happened.

I walked behind a big diesel pickup truck idling and smelled that exhaust. I noticed how strangely similar they were and it clicked. I've gotten used to the smell of poison and trained my brain to like it. I know some people when they quit smoking, absolutely hate the smell. I don't believe that I'll be one of those people. My dad had a diesel pickup when I was a kid and that smell brings me back to some really good memories.
I walked away from there with a smile on my face. I have never ever looked for a diesel truck and stuck my mouth on the tale pipe to bring those memories back. I have no reason to feel like I need to fear the fact that the smell of a cigarette doesn't disgust me. It just means that I can be around a smoker from time to time without acting like I'm grossed out (unless I want to fuck with them). I have no idea if this is a healthy attitude or stupid reasoning but it's just the way I felt at the time. Tested (with a small crave) but happy that it's gone from my life.
Quit 8/04/13
HOF 11/11/13
Thanks mostly to LHG. That girl rocks the world. I love you Sis.
Someone, somewhere out there is suffering through a more intense crave than me and that person is staying quit. As will I. -JoeMellow
SkyDiver - The first step is a bitch but that's when the fun starts.

Offline B-loMatt

• Quitter
  • Interests: Cooking, gameing, music, sports, the outdoors. Spending time with my family is my biggest hobby, I have two little girls who are my number 1 priority (for real now that I kicked nic out of my life)
« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2013, 01:58:00 PM »
Quote from: derk40
Something I said in a PM that really rang true.  I wanted to share it for others that may benefit from this point of view.

"I had a plan. (not sure if you knew this but I'm a ex-smoker that hijacked your site) I read the book by Allen Carr "The Easy Way to Quit Smoking". I smoked while reading the book (as per his instructions) and at the end, I put out my last cigarette and never looked back. It was never a question of "how long can I last without a cigarette?", it was only "I'm done, now I can move on with my life". They aren't lying when they say quitting smoking is 90% mental and 10% physical (OK, I just made that up but it's what I think) I have had a few pangs over the last 10 days but every time I feel like I have a crave, I remind myself of all the advantages smoking has (none), I remind myself that before smoking, I didn't need nicotine. I'm getting my body back to that point. I remind myself that It's not my body craving that nicotine (that ends after day 3) but it's my mind simply playing tricks on me. The crave really doesn't exist. Stop fearing the monster under the bed and just get on with your life and start living it. When you tap your back pocket, make sure to smile and happily say, "Isn't it awesome that I don't depend on that vile weed any more". When you look for an empty bottle in the truck, say "It rocks that I no longer have to waste my time keeping up with that useless habit".
I'm not kidding. Say this crap out loud. "Isn't it great that....." whatever it is that you find great. Every crave will become a positive experience faster than you expect and you will be moving on, not living in the past.
It's time to move on, I know I have. Like the new November name says... The first step is a big one but that's where the fun begins. "SkyDivers" don't turn around and look back at the plane, they look forward to a wild trip that they have prepared for. You have about 50 of us acting as your parachute. Look down and enjoy the ride. We've got your back."
Hey dabeen... I read that book early in my quit on the recommendation of Skoal Monster. Good read and it helped my resolve. I love your attitude. Keep killin your quit brother!!!
Sods like someone gets it :D
Keep on quittin'.

Offline Derk40

• Quit Pro
« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2013, 12:21:00 PM »
Something I said in a PM that really rang true. I wanted to share it for others that may benefit from this point of view.

"I had a plan. (not sure if you knew this but I'm a ex-smoker that hijacked your site) I read the book by Allen Carr "The Easy Way to Quit Smoking". I smoked while reading the book (as per his instructions) and at the end, I put out my last cigarette and never looked back. It was never a question of "how long can I last without a cigarette?", it was only "I'm done, now I can move on with my life". They aren't lying when they say quitting smoking is 90% mental and 10% physical (OK, I just made that up but it's what I think) I have had a few pangs over the last 10 days but every time I feel like I have a crave, I remind myself of all the advantages smoking has (none), I remind myself that before smoking, I didn't need nicotine. I'm getting my body back to that point. I remind myself that It's not my body craving that nicotine (that ends after day 3) but it's my mind simply playing tricks on me. The crave really doesn't exist. Stop fearing the monster under the bed and just get on with your life and start living it. When you tap your back pocket, make sure to smile and happily say, "Isn't it awesome that I don't depend on that vile weed any more". When you look for an empty bottle in the truck, say "It rocks that I no longer have to waste my time keeping up with that useless habit".
I'm not kidding. Say this crap out loud. "Isn't it great that....." whatever it is that you find great. Every crave will become a positive experience faster than you expect and you will be moving on, not living in the past.
It's time to move on, I know I have. Like the new November name says... The first step is a big one but that's where the fun begins. "SkyDivers" don't turn around and look back at the plane, they look forward to a wild trip that they have prepared for. You have about 50 of us acting as your parachute. Look down and enjoy the ride. We've got your back."
Hey dabeen... I read that book early in my quit on the recommendation of Skoal Monster. Good read and it helped my resolve. I love your attitude. Keep killin your quit brother!!!
Quit date: 6/23/2013
HOF Date: 9/30/2013

HOF Speech

Offline dabean22

• Quitter
  • Interests: I was addicted to nicotine for about 19 years before I actually realized that I was an addict to a drug. Allen Carr helped open my eyes with LionHeartedGirl (my sister). I am currently on day 2 and because of the frame of mind and different point of view that "The Easy Way" has given me, I don't doubt for one moment that I have ingested the last bit of that weed for the rest of my life. I am 35 now and am setting a goal of living long enough to have saved $100,000 because of my quit. At the same time, I am setting the goal of not smoking TODAY! One step at a time, while keeping my eyes on the horizon.
« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2013, 12:04:00 PM »
Something I said in a PM that really rang true. I wanted to share it for others that may benefit from this point of view.

Quit 8/04/13
HOF 11/11/13
Someone, somewhere out there is suffering through a more intense crave than me and that person is staying quit. As will I. -JoeMellow

Offline dabean22

• Quitter
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2013, 11:17:00 AM »
So I spent the weekend in NH with my best friend. We've been friends since 10 years old and we know each other very well. He and everyone there is completely nic free and it's in the middle of nowhere so the possibility of caving was completely removed from the situation. That being said, when the possibility of caving was removed, I noticed that the cravings were completely removed as well. I was able to go fishing at 6:00 am on a quiet lake, be the only one out there, enjoy the repetitive action of casting, let my mind wander and wonder and the only thing I wanted was another bite on the line and to have remembered to bring coffee with me on the boat. I didn't even notice until that evening that I hadn't had a single crave.
That was a big moment for me. Noticing that I went fishing without a crave made me realize that I have completed step 2 in my mind.
Step 1. Get the nicotine out of your system by remaining nic free for 3 days.
Step 2. Continue until you can do everyday things without thinking about a cigarette at every turn. (starting to live my life)
Now step 3 will be when I go an entire 24 hour period without a crave. That may be a while but I have the rest of my life to get there.
Quit 8/04/13
HOF 11/11/13

Offline gorilla1

• Quitter
  • Interests: Not dipping. Always looking how to be a better father. Trees, gardening, writing.
« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2013, 02:05:00 AM »
Quote from: Philly80
Today was the first entire day, sunup to sundown, that I didnt have any leftover nicotine in my system and I feel great.  No, I feel awesome!  Im getting ready to hop in the car for a 4 he drive from Philly to Manchester, CT and im actually looking forward to it, not dreading it. I love knowing that if I have any crave, major or minor, I have 14 phone numbers to call and I have hem all on speed dial.  I quit with November today. (We really need to start working on a name)
Ina side note, I finally get to break out my bow for the first time in years. Fishing pole too. A weekend get away with my best friend, an absolute supporter of my quit. It's looking like a really good weekend.
Now, enjoy your life, Nic Free , Glad to be quit with you!
Enjoy your weekend bro. What a good thing to be connected with you today. Peace.

Offline Philly80

• Quitter
« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2013, 01:34:00 AM »
Today was the first entire day, sunup to sundown, that I didnt have any leftover nicotine in my system and I feel great.  No, I feel awesome!  Im getting ready to hop in the car for a 4 he drive from Philly to Manchester, CT and im actually looking forward to it, not dreading it. I love knowing that if I have any crave, major or minor, I have 14 phone numbers to call and I have hem all on speed dial.  I quit with November today. (We really need to start working on a name)
Ina side note, I finally get to break out my bow for the first time in years. Fishing pole too. A weekend get away with my best friend, an absolute supporter of my quit. It's looking like a really good weekend.
Now, enjoy your life, Nic Free , Glad to be quit with you!

Offline dabean22

• Quitter
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2013, 08:33:00 PM »
Today was the first entire day, sunup to sundown, that I didnt have any leftover nicotine in my system and I feel great. No, I feel awesome! Im getting ready to hop in the car for a 4 he drive from Philly to Manchester, CT and im actually looking forward to it, not dreading it. I love knowing that if I have any crave, major or minor, I have 14 phone numbers to call and I have hem all on speed dial. I quit with November today. (We really need to start working on a name)
Quit 8/04/13
HOF 11/11/13

Offline dabean22

• Quitter
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2013, 08:30:00 PM »
Today was the first entire day, sunup to sundown, that I didnt have any leftover nicotine in my system and I feel great. No, I feel awesome! Im getting ready to hop in the car for a 4 he drive from Philly to Manchester, CT and im actually looking forward to it, not dreading it. I love knowing that if I have any crave, major or minor, I have 14 phone numbers to call and I have hem all on speed dial. I quit with November today. (We really need to start working on a name)
Quit 8/04/13
HOF 11/11/13

Offline Radman

• Quit Pro
  • Interests: Family and friends. Other than that, anything outdoors....motorcycling, shooting, hunting, fishing, racing.
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2013, 08:16:00 AM »
Quote from: FIGHTIN-IGNORANCE
Quote from: srans
Quote from: SirDerek
I just got out of a meeting with a contractor friend that I always smoked with during our meetings in the past.  I stood there 3' from him  while he smoked.  It was the first smell of smoke I've had since my last cig.  I was really worried.  I was practically scared.  I almost asked him not to smoke. 
I didn't need to worry.  I was calm and cool.  I can't believe that my first real test went so well.  I think Philly80 helped a ton.  He texted me out of the blue to introduce himself.  I was able to voice my concern and he was able to reassure me before the meeting.  Philly80 and all the others that have been building me up over the last 4 days, Thank you.
'clap'

you have experienced one of the keys of the site here. Brotherhood....we are there for one another....

great going....you got this.
Did I hear that right?? 4 Days, you haven't went down to the corner store and spent your hard earned money on the poison.

That means your clean brother.

Here's what you need to do. Take a plane to the Himalayas. There is this mountain there called mount Everest,, you've heard of this, right? Make sure you take some climbing gear and some air tanks. I've heard it can be real hard to breathe up there. I haven't personally made the journey yet. This is not about me though,, it's about you. Start climbing brother. When you get to the top take a good look. Take a good look at the world without nicotine running through your veins, desensitizing your feelings and obstructing your vision. Freedom brother, smell it taste it and feel it. We were not meant to be lead around by a weed.

Now if mount Everest is a little to high for you, maybe a little to far, well,, just step outside your front door same thing. Glad to be quit with you.......
Holy Crap! How did I not notice that I've been 72 hours without the nasty weed. Tomorrow morning will be the first morning I'll wake up with no nicotine in my system. Fuck Yeah!!!
Step 1. Complete
THATS RIGHT BRUTHA! YOU DABOMB..KABOOM! QUAKCK! QUACK!
Beautiful, man.... absolutely perfect use of the tools here.

There will come a time in the not-too-distant future when you will feel a great deal of disgust for the cig your friend is smoking, while also feeling pity for your friend. That's when your quit gets real good, and you can stand there and enjoy feeling like a badass.

Offline FIGHTIN-IGNORANCE

• Quitter
  • Interests: Studying the "Word", My Two Boys, Hunting, fishing, Softball, Roller Hockey, learning to play acoustic guitar,
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2013, 09:51:00 PM »
I just got out of a meeting with a contractor friend that I always smoked with during our meetings in the past.  I stood there 3' from him  while he smoked.  It was the first smell of smoke I've had since my last cig.  I was really worried.  I was practically scared.  I almost asked him not to smoke. 
I didn't need to worry.  I was calm and cool.  I can't believe that my first real test went so well.  I think Philly80 helped a ton.  He texted me out of the blue to introduce himself.  I was able to voice my concern and he was able to reassure me before the meeting.  Philly80 and all the others that have been building me up over the last 4 days, Thank you.
'clap'

you have experienced one of the keys of the site here. Brotherhood....we are there for one another....

Did I hear that right?? 4 Days, you haven't went down to the corner store and spent your hard earned money on the poison.

Here's what you need to do. Take a plane to the Himalayas. There is this mountain there called mount Everest,, you've heard of this, right? Make sure you take some climbing gear and some air tanks. I've heard it can be real hard to breathe up there. I haven't personally made the journey yet. This is not about me though,, it's about you. Start climbing brother. When you get to the top take a good look. Take a good look at the world without nicotine running through your veins, desensitizing your feelings and obstructing your vision. Freedom brother, smell it taste it and feel it. We were not meant to be lead around by a weed.

Now if mount Everest is a little to high for you, maybe a little to far, well,, just step outside your front door same thing. Glad to be quit with you.......
Holy Crap! How did I not notice that I've been 72 hours without the nasty weed. Tomorrow morning will be the first morning I'll wake up with no nicotine in my system. Fuck Yeah!!!
Step 1. Complete
THATS RIGHT BRUTHA! YOU DABOMB..KABOOM! QUAKCK! QUACK!
Quit Date 6/26/2013
DUCK FIP'S FOR LIFE!!
'KICKIN THE CAN' All Day Long!
Complancency sucks,one moment of it is the difference between being a user and a quitter....OIB

The connection of a common problem is strong, but the connection of a common solution is even stronger.-gorilla1

When we think we can't quit... We can... Cause ducks fly together... When the craves are to much to handle... Us ducks fly together.... When you want to cave... You won't... Because ducks fly together. Per our Jpete328
Freedom Started 06/26/2013....Freedom continues because of my choice and accountability from MY FELLOW DUCKS! QUACK ! QUACK! Thank You!

Offline dabean22

• Quitter
« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2013, 09:17:00 PM »
'clap'

Step 1. Complete
Quit 8/04/13
HOF 11/11/13

Offline srans

• Quit Pro
  • Interests: Fishing and playing the guitar.
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2013, 09:02:00 PM »
'clap'

Hof date may 25, 2013
HoF Speech

The poison sucks. I hate it. I hated it this morning, I hated it at noon, I hated it at supper and I hate it tonight. I enjoy hating it so much I'm going to wake up tomorrow and start over hating it. I quit with anyone that wants to hate it with me.