Author Topic: Trying to Gain Perspective  (Read 1511 times)

Offline Ron_Cross

• Quitter
  • I am quit
  • Quit Date: 8/30/2013
  • Interests: Started my own CPA firm!
  • Likes Given: 4
Re: Trying to Gain Perspective
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2014, 08:51:00 PM »
Quote from: mogul
Quote from: f-bomb
Quote from: Thumblewort
F-Bomb, I am a CPA who quit at the busiest time of year for me. My quit date is April 4th, but I have not used chew since March 6th. I choose to use a nicotine patch because obviously I knew more than people who have quit for years, so for 30 days I cut out the KTC support and went through the withdrawal s l o w l y . So finally on April 4th I wised up and ripped the band aid off, and got to experience the full withdrawal sensation again, you know, because I am so smart.

So I tell you that to make a point. Despite my idiocy with the patch, I went through tax season with a full month of withdrawals. I used my busy season as a distraction to get through the worst of the quit, so by the time April 16th came, I was starting to feel better. Use this trial as a distraction to what you are going through. You can do this!
That's really good to hear. I'm actually a tax attorney. 'oh yeah' Quitting during tax season must have seemed so intimidation for you. I can only imagine.

Quitting during a busy period of time was deliberate on my part too. Trials are busy and require teamwork, which means less time by myself. Writing briefs are lonely work in front of a computer, so I wanted to get a month or two clean before tackling one of those. I know that once I get a large writing project done, I will have made a giant step in my quit, and the way I'm feeling now: bring that fucker on.
Your last sentence there fbomb is exactly the attitude I'm preaching. You have to look that addict in the mirror every morning and say no fucking way. That bitch and her poison will not kill me today, then go post roll.

Mogul
I am a CPA working in industry and not public accounting. I used to believe the lies that nicotine would tell me like, "You need me to focus". "You need me to be successful." "I am your magic bullet that calms you". I now know that they were all lies and I am now 10 times more focused and successful in my public and private life than I have ever been. You can do this.

Offline Mogul

• Quitter
  • Interests: Pilot
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2014, 03:19:00 PM »
F-Bomb, I am a CPA who quit at the busiest time of year for me. My quit date is April 4th, but I have not used chew since March 6th. I choose to use a nicotine patch because obviously I knew more than people who have quit for years, so for 30 days I cut out the KTC support and went through the withdrawal s l o w l y . So finally on April 4th I wised up and ripped the band aid off, and got to experience the full withdrawal sensation again, you know, because I am so smart.

So I tell you that to make a point. Despite my idiocy with the patch, I went through tax season with a full month of withdrawals. I used my busy season as a distraction to get through the worst of the quit, so by the time April 16th came, I was starting to feel better. Use this trial as a distraction to what you are going through. You can do this!
That's really good to hear. I'm actually a tax attorney. 'oh yeah' Quitting during tax season must have seemed so intimidation for you. I can only imagine.

Quitting during a busy period of time was deliberate on my part too. Trials are busy and require teamwork, which means less time by myself. Writing briefs are lonely work in front of a computer, so I wanted to get a month or two clean before tackling one of those. I know that once I get a large writing project done, I will have made a giant step in my quit, and the way I'm feeling now: bring that fucker on.
Your last sentence there fbomb is exactly the attitude I'm preaching. You have to look that addict in the mirror every morning and say no fucking way. That bitch and her poison will not kill me today, then go post roll.

Mogul

Offline Bulldog0311

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 12/02/13
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2014, 03:05:00 PM »
Quote from: worktowin
Quote from: Steakbomb18
bomb...this is Bomb. Reading that intro was like looking in a mirror. I started in college, dipped late nights studying for pharmacy school, entered into a stressful job, etc. I've stopped/started so many times I've lost count. I came to KTC, 6 days in and I've never looked back. Really, the only progression now is forward. For every day since I've quit I've been undefeated against the nic bitch. The 18 years of consecutive days I lost that battle are in the past and behind me. For every day you post roll, quit like fuck, and win the battle for that day you will continue to move further and further away from the past. Will you be able to ever lose that past? Hell no, you will always be an addict...but you CAN create more and more distance from that addict mind by being a quitter every damn day.

Keep it up, keep learning, keep posting roll and you will keep winning and regaining your freedom.
Thanks steakbomb. From one bomb to another, we can do this. It's so terrible how that feeling of needing to chew to study hard and do well really invades your mind. I've decided that my attitude right now is that I don't even care if I'm mediocre at my job without nicotine. It just isn't worth it. No career or goal is worth killing yourself in such a stupid way. If something happens and I fail at a task, it will be my own failure, and I'll figure it out. Working on nicotine means I've already failed right out of the gate.
You do not need nicotine to do fucking anything except relieve the withdrawal of using nicotine!

You would not believe the number of people that I've seen on this site jump start their careers after quitting (including me.). Know why? Because now you can spend time focusing in your career, family, and what is really important and not trying to sneak your next fix!

One day at a time bomb(s)!
Ps - Arnold Becker didn't use nicotine. Just saying....
Hot damn you got some bad ass mother fuckers in your corner right outta the gate. I'm no attorney I'm just a damn grunt but there's one thing I know and it's that these guys are badass.
You listen to them. You get in here and read. Suck it up. The only thing I didn't see mentioned is the weirdest. Get some phone numbers. Get a text group. It's weird getting other dudes digits but man a text group is a life saver. When your struggling and all of a sudden three brothers send you some motivation it's just awesome.
Good luck brother. You can do this. It seems really hard but it's so simple. Just post roll. Promise to quit for just one day. Then keep that promise. You do that then I'll get up tomorrow and do it with you.

Offline worktowin

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Interests: GymWorkTravel
  • Likes Given: 108
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2014, 01:38:00 PM »
bomb...this is Bomb. Reading that intro was like looking in a mirror. I started in college, dipped late nights studying for pharmacy school, entered into a stressful job, etc. I've stopped/started so many times I've lost count. I came to KTC, 6 days in and I've never looked back. Really, the only progression now is forward. For every day since I've quit I've been undefeated against the nic bitch. The 18 years of consecutive days I lost that battle are in the past and behind me. For every day you post roll, quit like fuck, and win the battle for that day you will continue to move further and further away from the past. Will you be able to ever lose that past? Hell no, you will always be an addict...but you CAN create more and more distance from that addict mind by being a quitter every damn day.

Keep it up, keep learning, keep posting roll and you will keep winning and regaining your freedom.
Thanks steakbomb. From one bomb to another, we can do this. It's so terrible how that feeling of needing to chew to study hard and do well really invades your mind. I've decided that my attitude right now is that I don't even care if I'm mediocre at my job without nicotine. It just isn't worth it. No career or goal is worth killing yourself in such a stupid way. If something happens and I fail at a task, it will be my own failure, and I'll figure it out. Working on nicotine means I've already failed right out of the gate.
You do not need nicotine to do fucking anything except relieve the withdrawal of using nicotine!

You would not believe the number of people that I've seen on this site jump start their careers after quitting (including me.). Know why? Because now you can spend time focusing in your career, family, and what is really important and not trying to sneak your next fix!

Ps - Arnold Becker didn't use nicotine. Just saying....

Offline worktowin

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Interests: GymWorkTravel
  • Likes Given: 108
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2014, 01:25:00 PM »

Offline f-bomb

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2014-07-08
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2014, 12:42:00 PM »

Offline f-bomb

• Quitter
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2014, 12:16:00 PM »

Offline Steakbomb18

• Quit King
  • Quit Date: 12/13/2013
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2014, 10:59:00 AM »

Certified Grade A Badass

Offline B-loMatt

• Quitter
  • Interests: Cooking, gameing, music, sports, the outdoors. Spending time with my family is my biggest hobby, I have two little girls who are my number 1 priority (for real now that I kicked nic out of my life)
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2014, 09:13:00 AM »
Read through everything on KTC. All the knowledge you need is here! Also, you can find intros where bad ass quitters go through worse stressers than anything I have during my quit: dear John letters, death, etc. so I always keep my daily annoyances in perspective.
The KTC plan works. Learn the plan. Live the plan. Love your freedom. PM me if you need anything.

Offline Thumblewort

• Epic Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2014-04-04
  • Interests: Steel Panther, Lions football, Deathmatch Wreslting, Ultra Violent horror movies, feeding the people in my basement pit.
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2014, 08:38:00 AM »

Some of my fondest and clearest memories are peeing in places that aren't bathrooms.

Offline redtrain14

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Interests: Family, hunting, fishing, running, mountain biking, swimming, building shit, and anything else that sounds like fun.
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2014, 10:29:00 PM »
Your focus will come back in time f-bomb. Don't worry about it too much, just worry about being quit for today. Spend some time here, get to know your quit brothers, and get some legs under this quit.

You CAN do this, I promise.

Offline Doc Chewfree

• Quit Pro
  • Quit Date: 2014-02-06
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2014, 09:30:00 PM »
Quote from: jlud007
Quote from: SirDerek
Got it. Nicotine gum out in the garbage. It was a box of expired gum from some previous attempt anyway. I'll adjust my quit date to July 8 to be exact. Most I had was two 2mg pieces in a day anyway though, so I feel like I'm getting through the immediate withdrawal.

Second, I should probably rephrase what I said about my wife. I'd been dancing around quitting for a month or so, but she asked me to actually set a date. When I did that, it became quitting for myself. I'm not saying that it isn't also so that I can grow old with her, but my reason for quitting is to get out of the whole sneaking around chewing behind closed doors, not interacting with people. And going through an all day chewing session with sore cheeks and gums and hacking up brown stuff is also my reason to quit. Also, I want to regain control of my brain for chrissake. I would sometimes let a call go to voicemail if I didn't have a chew in so that I could get one in my mouth before calling back. F-ing ridiculous.

Thanks for the advice.
That is a good restatement, showing you are understanding that this needs to be for you above anything else ( the rest is the bonus that comes with it.) Well done.
Yell if you need.
Sounds like someone taking their first sips of the ol' KTC Kool-Aid..... Freedom is what it's all about and I only wanted to focus you on quitting for yourself first, all that growing old with the wife and kids, feeling healthy and happy... those are just some of the awesome side effects that go with being quit. If you need anything hit me up via PM, make some contacts and break the ice before your in a spot where you need the help. Easier to make that call in a time of need when you have already gotten to know the quitter on the other end. Spend as much time as you can here, read, read, read.... Intros, HOF speeches, Tom Kern's story, Words of Wisdom there is a wealth of knowledge and support here. All of it coming from guys just like you that together have managed to stay quit one day at a time.
Fbomb, welcome and congratulations on making a great decision.
You have already gotten some stellar advice from some of the best quitters this site has so I won't beat that horse anymore. Make sure you become active on the site. Got to chat. Hang out in your roll group. Read. Read. Read.
Your secret weapon against the nic whore is knowledge. The more you know the more you can rationalize what is happening or what you feel.
When craves hit, relax. Enjoy the fact that you can control this and not be a slave to that whore. Breath deep and realize that this crave will pass even if you don't give in to the nic slut.
One last thing, you can do anything without nic that you did with it, better. You have to quit being that controlled addict and be a controlled addict. Did that make sense? In other words, you are a nic addict like me but WE no longer use nic under any circumstance. NAFAR=not again for any reason
Do what these fine quitters have suggested and you will soon find a new stronger happier you.
Quit on!
Let me know if you need anything.
Brave men are honored, rich men are envied, powerful men are feared, but only a man with character is trusted
Quit on Feb. 6, 2014

Offline Jlud007

• Quitter
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2014, 09:19:00 PM »
Quote from: SirDerek
Got it. Nicotine gum out in the garbage. It was a box of expired gum from some previous attempt anyway. I'll adjust my quit date to July 8 to be exact. Most I had was two 2mg pieces in a day anyway though, so I feel like I'm getting through the immediate withdrawal.

Second, I should probably rephrase what I said about my wife. I'd been dancing around quitting for a month or so, but she asked me to actually set a date. When I did that, it became quitting for myself. I'm not saying that it isn't also so that I can grow old with her, but my reason for quitting is to get out of the whole sneaking around chewing behind closed doors, not interacting with people. And going through an all day chewing session with sore cheeks and gums and hacking up brown stuff is also my reason to quit. Also, I want to regain control of my brain for chrissake. I would sometimes let a call go to voicemail if I didn't have a chew in so that I could get one in my mouth before calling back. F-ing ridiculous.

Thanks for the advice.
That is a good restatement, showing you are understanding that this needs to be for you above anything else ( the rest is the bonus that comes with it.) Well done.
Yell if you need.
Sounds like someone taking their first sips of the ol' KTC Kool-Aid..... Freedom is what it's all about and I only wanted to focus you on quitting for yourself first, all that growing old with the wife and kids, feeling healthy and happy... those are just some of the awesome side effects that go with being quit. If you need anything hit me up via PM, make some contacts and break the ice before your in a spot where you need the help. Easier to make that call in a time of need when you have already gotten to know the quitter on the other end. Spend as much time as you can here, read, read, read.... Intros, HOF speeches, Tom Kern's story, Words of Wisdom there is a wealth of knowledge and support here. All of it coming from guys just like you that together have managed to stay quit one day at a time.

Offline SirDerek

• Quit Pro
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2014, 08:05:00 PM »

Thanks for the advice.
Yell if you need.

Offline f-bomb

• Quitter
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2014, 07:17:00 PM »

Thanks for the advice.