Author Topic: Long Overdue Introduction  (Read 2534 times)

Offline RAZD611

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Untied and Unfiltered
  • Interests: Family, Fishing, Hunting, Sports.
  • Likes Given: 1264
Re: Long Overdue Introduction
« Reply #67 on: August 25, 2011, 06:24:00 PM »
Quote from: LaQuitter
These are the only written rules of this community, to the best of my knowledge:

1) IP masking is immediate grounds for expulsion. Administrators can track IP address and if they change from one side of the country to the other...you are gone...period.

2) Multiple aliases will not be tolerated. Violators will be banned immediately

3) Administrators can and will ban domain names and IP addresses used for spam.

4) The QSX Forums are for quitters age 18 and above.

There are several other "rules" that the hardcore quitters follow. One of the most important being the posting of roll. Early in the day. Every day.

If you post roll early, every day, and keep your word, your will be a successful quitter. Make excuses and defend the "right" to buck the system here, and you will fail. There are a few exceptions to this, such as someone's work schedule. But for most, the posting of roll should be very high on the morning priority list.

Understand that probaby 60-70% of your quit group will fail to make HOF. Then, you can probably reduce your HOF numbers by half by the time you hit 200 days.

For all of the whining, bitching and posturing that goes on, the fact is that only a select few quitters are going to succeed.

It's not very hard to see who the failures will be. The weak ones that will be cut from the herd. Are you the loner? Are you the asshole that thinks they know better, a proud and haughty kind of person that doesn't know how to listen and learn? Which quitter are you? Are you one of the few that will succeed, or are you stumbling around, clueless.....begging to fall prey to the fate that lurks in the shadows of your addicted mind?

Despite the best well-intentioned efforts of your brothers/sisters, only YOU can save yourself. But saving yourself is easier when you are not alone, and when you arm yourself with knowledge. Align your quit accordingly.

And for those of you that are trying to save every quitter in the group. Your efforts are admirable, and necessary for the group to an extent, and probably even yourself. But you must protect your quit, first and foremost. Don't let the wanna-be's and half-assers get you down. Help those that want the help. At some point, you will have to write off the posers. You cannot save everyone.

I'm starting to ramble, so I'm done for now.
Well said. Glad to here about the results.
Never Again For Any Reason

Hurt Feelings Report
https://ibb.co/NCwvw7t

Offline Wild_Bill

• Epic Quitter
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #66 on: August 25, 2011, 06:59:00 AM »
LA,

Great news on the freckle. Also, congrats on a great quit today and for the past 845!! Incredible.

I just read your HOF speech. Thank you. It was so inspiring.

I'm glad to quit with you today.

whsii
Day 13
Quit Dip: August 12, 2011
Quit Cigs: October 1, 2009

veni, vici, cessavi

Offline Greg5280

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quit King
  • BONAFIDE QUIT BEAST
  • Quit Date: 10-30-2009
  • Interests: Golf, Running, Cycling, Being outside, Spending time with my family. Quitting and helping newbies.
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #65 on: August 24, 2011, 10:18:00 PM »
Great news !! It is indeed a fine day to be quit.

Offline Parputt

• Quit King
  • Quit date: 1-13-2011
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #64 on: August 24, 2011, 09:26:00 PM »
Great news. Good day to be quit indeed.
QD:  1-13-11
HOF: 4-22-11
Sobriety date: 3-4-07

One is one too many
One more is never enough

This Is My Quit

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself, any direction you choose ~ Dr. Seuss

Offline LaQuitter

• Quit Pro
« Reply #63 on: August 24, 2011, 06:44:00 PM »
I just posted this in my group. Just an update for those of you that knew about it.

And an illustration that a stressful situation can be handled without tobacco. I've been on pins and needles for 8 days wondering if I had choroidal melanoma.

Today makes 845 days of no bullshit badass.

"Scott - 845 - saw the doc today, the freckle in my eye is just that. Nothing indicates melanoma. He did an ultrasound to measure it and he photographed it. I go back in 6 months so he can make sure it's not growing. If all is well, it will just be a yearly checkup to keep an eye on it. Damn fine day to be quit. And another instance in which i dealt with stress without the nicotine crutch!"

No excuses, ever.
Quit: Saturday, May 2, 2009
HOF: Monday, August 10, 2009

La's HOF Speech

"Post roll like 8 pounds 6 ounces... new born infant jesus himself was telling you to do it" - Jaydisco

Offline LaQuitter

• Quit Pro
« Reply #62 on: March 07, 2011, 09:30:00 PM »
These are the only written rules of this community, to the best of my knowledge:

1) IP masking is immediate grounds for expulsion. Administrators can track IP address and if they change from one side of the country to the other...you are gone...period.

2) Multiple aliases will not be tolerated. Violators will be banned immediately

3) Administrators can and will ban domain names and IP addresses used for spam.

4) The QSX Forums are for quitters age 18 and above.

There are several other "rules" that the hardcore quitters follow. One of the most important being the posting of roll. Early in the day. Every day.

If you post roll early, every day, and keep your word, your will be a successful quitter. Make excuses and defend the "right" to buck the system here, and you will fail. There are a few exceptions to this, such as someone's work schedule. But for most, the posting of roll should be very high on the morning priority list.

Understand that probaby 60-70% of your quit group will fail to make HOF. Then, you can probably reduce your HOF numbers by half by the time you hit 200 days.

For all of the whining, bitching and posturing that goes on, the fact is that only a select few quitters are going to succeed.

It's not very hard to see who the failures will be. The weak ones that will be cut from the herd. Are you the loner? Are you the asshole that thinks they know better, a proud and haughty kind of person that doesn't know how to listen and learn? Which quitter are you? Are you one of the few that will succeed, or are you stumbling around, clueless.....begging to fall prey to the fate that lurks in the shadows of your addicted mind?

Despite the best well-intentioned efforts of your brothers/sisters, only YOU can save yourself. But saving yourself is easier when you are not alone, and when you arm yourself with knowledge. Align your quit accordingly.

And for those of you that are trying to save every quitter in the group. Your efforts are admirable, and necessary for the group to an extent, and probably even yourself. But you must protect your quit, first and foremost. Don't let the wanna-be's and half-assers get you down. Help those that want the help. At some point, you will have to write off the posers. You cannot save everyone.

I'm starting to ramble, so I'm done for now.

La's HOF Speech

"Post roll like 8 pounds 6 ounces... new born infant jesus himself was telling you to do it" - Jaydisco

Offline LaQuitter

• Quit Pro
« Reply #61 on: December 10, 2010, 08:58:00 PM »
I had the opportunity to meet Outdoortexan and his family last night. It was certainly a pleasure.

Curtis has meant a lot to my quit. In fact, he is the sole reason that I found my way to KillTheCan.

If you don't know who ODT is, take the time to find out. Go find his HOF speech. Go to his web site, and see what he is about.

Should you ever have the opportunity to meet a fellow quitter, you need to do it. I've said this before. There is nothing quite like shaking the hand of another quitter to reinforce your accountability and all that it stands for.

+1.

La's HOF Speech

Offline LaQuitter

• Quit Pro
« Reply #60 on: December 10, 2010, 08:49:00 PM »
Quote from: Bean
5 hundo, huh? Call me when you get to 90, big nutz. Oh wait a second...whose nuts...I mean, hold on...ah shit...

Congrats, LaQuitter (is that German?)
Thanks Beano. Uh, no. LaQuitter is German, like Bean is Mexican.

I'll just leave you guessing. ;)

La's HOF Speech

Offline Bean

• Quitter
« Reply #59 on: December 09, 2010, 06:53:00 PM »
5 hundo, huh? Call me when you get to 90, big nutz. Oh wait a second...whose nuts...I mean, hold on...ah shit...

Congrats, LaQuitter (is that German?)

Offline LaQuitter

• Quit Pro
« Reply #58 on: December 09, 2010, 06:46:00 PM »
X

La's HOF Speech

Offline redyota

• Master of Quit
« Reply #57 on: September 14, 2010, 07:29:00 AM »
Congrats on the 500 Scott! Nice to see you posting some inspirational words again.

And may I add........Geaux Tigers!
"We shall not fail or falter; we shall not weaken or tire...Give us the tools and we will finish the job." - Sir Winston Churchill

"Not using gets much easier as time goes by, but the consequences of "just one" never lessen." - Me

Offline Greg5280

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quit King
  • BONAFIDE QUIT BEAST
  • Quit Date: 10-30-2009
  • Interests: Golf, Running, Cycling, Being outside, Spending time with my family. Quitting and helping newbies.
« Reply #56 on: September 13, 2010, 11:27:00 PM »
Scott,
Congrats on the 500 my friend. You certainly helped me early in my quit. Keep rocking along and stay clean...

NEVER AGAIN
Greg

Offline minuteofangle

• Quitter
« Reply #55 on: September 13, 2010, 10:25:00 PM »
CONGRATULATIONS ON 500 WELL DONE!

MOA 'worship'

Offline LaQuitter

• Quit Pro
« Reply #54 on: September 13, 2010, 10:12:00 PM »
Today is day 500 of my quit.

The quit is quite smooth right now. Nothing much in the way of craves lately. Every day that we put between Day 1 and today makes us a little stronger. It does get easier if you stay committed.

I want to say thank you. The last time I was nicotine free for this long, I was a young teenager.....maybe even a pre-teen. This web site is an amazing tool.

There is something I'd like to share with you all. My job has taken me on the road for the last few weeks. Saturday before last, I drove up to Kansas, and spent an afternoon with one of my August 2009 quit brothers, Marty (livin is his AKA).

A lot of you guys already know this because you have done it. But I am here to tell you that if you ever have the opportunity to get together with other quitter(s), do it.

The accountability here is what the success of our quits are built upon. You will add an unprecedented layer of accountability to your quit if you were to ever meet a quit brother.

It didn't take long, and I felt like I had known Marty for years. Honor, integrity, trustworthiness. Three qualities that I personally believe are at the heart of every strong, successful quitter. These qualities are required for the accountability to work. I could not imagine breaking my word to a quit brother after shaking his hand. And I am sure that Marty would agree.

I appreciate your hospitality Marty. You, and every quitter here has my word. I will remain nicotine free today, and I will be here to make that same promise tomorrow.

Scott

La's HOF Speech

Offline CoachDoc

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2010-02-24
  • Interests: Coaching football/baseball, reading, hiking, kayaking, camping, watching my 4 sons grow up
« Reply #53 on: July 18, 2010, 12:15:00 PM »
Quote from: LaQuitter
Day 443

The quit is flowing quite well right about now. I do have something I've been pondering for about 3 weeks now.

My allergies have given me hell this spring and summer. For the last 3 weeks or so, I have had this nagging sore throat. The type of thing that worries a (ex)dipper.

Don't you remember? How many years did you dip? I dipped for 17-18 years, a can per day...longer if you add in the time in my early teen years when it was just an occasional thing. I remember how I was for the last 10 or so years that I dipped. Every sore in my mouth, every sore throat. I WORRIED about cancer. I would sweat it until I either saw the doctor, or it healed.

I thought that after I quit, the worry would go away. It has, for the most part. I don't think about cancer as often as I did when I dipped. But I'm here to tell you, that after 443 days, you will probably still have the worries on occasion, and that my quit brothers, sucks. Oh, you thought that you were out of the woods just because you quit?? Yes, you are much better off. But I think it will take 15 years or so before your oral cancer risk gets back down into the range of someone who has never dipped. It's just been something I've been dealing with for the last couple of weeks, and thought it might be good to share with you guys. It's a reminder for me, 443 days later, that this addiction and the potential damage that it could of caused will haunt me, probably for years to come.

This past week, the sore throat completely cleared up for about 3 days, only to return. But at least I have peace of mind now, knowing that it was just an allergy-induced symptom.

Don't ever forget why you quit. Don't ever forget what you are learning, or have learned here at KTC. Complacency and addiction are thick as thieves. If you get lazy and sloppy, the addiction may find the weak spots in your armor. Take care of your armor.

La
Great post...sometimes I think we all "forget" about that fear of C. Not that we need to always be afraid, but I think you are right in reminding us that what we were doing to ourselves was a very slow game of Russian Roulette...and even after we think the chambers are empty, there could still be that live round....waiting for us to simply pull the trigger...

Stay focued...and still get your check-ups, especially if you have symptoms that concern you...better to catch anything as soon as possible than wait days, months, years because of fear...the longer you wait, the harder it is to fix...

Thanks LA for posting this for us all to ponder...and to help keep us quit and healthy.
Blah...Blah...Blah...You keep TALKIN....I'll keep QUITTIN

I'm not here to make friends, I'm here to support YOUR quit.

Quit Date: 2/25/10 and every day since
HoF: June 4, 2010
HOF Speech
10th Floor: November 20, 2012