Author Topic: Snot's Musings  (Read 4737 times)

Offline Snot

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2014-06-30
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Snot's Musings
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2014, 08:50:00 PM »
Thank you all for the support! Day 10 is almost done and the craves were not too bad today.

Offline Dagranger

• Quit Pro
  • Quit Date: 06-27-2013
  • Interests: I used to like playing any sport. Now I like coaching any sport. Hiking, camping, biking. I work out a lot but I hate it.
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2014, 11:06:00 AM »
Quote from: grizzlyhasclaws
Quote from: Steelers
Quote from: mattyf118
Quote from: Snot
I can't remember where I saw it but somewhere on this site during my very earliest days of quit I saw the acronym "ODAAT" which is short for "One Day At A Time." This struck a chord with me and for the last nine days has been the cornerstone of my quit. When the craves are intense and all I want to do is cave and give it all up I think that all I have to do is make it today. And really, I posted roll so I have no choice but to make it though the day clean of nic. I will worry about tomorrow tomorrow.

Things I often tell myself when the going gets tough that focus on "One Day At A Time":

"Just 16 waking hours. Take it one hour at a time if you must but just focus on the next 16 hours."
"You only have a few hours let in the day. Just power through and you'll have this day done."
"Don't worry about that car trip/sporting event/major trigger coming up in a few days or next week. Only worry about today. You deal with that when the day comes."

Not having to worry about tomorrow or next week has been a huge relief to me. I can get through today. I have that much strength. I can't get through the next few days all at once but I can tackle them one day at a time. I get up, post roll, make my promise for one day and one day only. I can keep that.

"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."
- Matt 6:34
The quit is strong with this one.
Agreed, definite words of wisdom for so early in the quit. Keep up the great work...ODAAT
You get it brother. Keep it simple and stay focused.
This is how you make a hard thing (quitting dip) and easier thing. Take it slow and grind. Congrats.

Offline mule

• Admin (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Quit Date: 01/03/2008
  • Interests: Georgia Bulldawgs, hunting, fishing, coaching sports for kids
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2014, 11:02:00 AM »
Quote from: Erussell
Quote from: wastepanel
Quote from: chewie
I'm on Day 8 and I meant to start my introduction earlier. I was a dipper for over 25 years then actually stopped for about 4 months in 2010. I started again using Swedish snus and have been using that until I quit 8 days ago. Days 1 - 3 of my quit were pure hell. Insomnia, headaches, depression, constipation, craves. Suffered from some mild depression on day 2. St. John's wort really helps with that, BTW. By Day 4, the physical withdrawals were mostly gone.

Now I am dealing with the craves and they are intense. Day 7 was rough. Today seems a little better. I'm using seeds, gum, jerky, fake stuff, tic tacs, anything I can get my hands on lol. The triggers suck. I'm trying to keep up the exercise. Dear Lord, I hope this gets better soon.

"One day at a time" is my mantra right now. Screw tomorrow, I just got to get through today. Just got to get through today. Post roll and keep my promise.
Congrats and welcome sir Snot!

I'm interested in your story... I've never used snus, but I hear from a variety of (in my opinion ignorant) folks how much "safer" Swedish Snus is. Curious if you can talk to the different between your stoppage / withdrawal from dip in 2010 vs. this time?

Thanks and welcome... let me know how I can help!

chewie
Thank you, Chewie!

I stopped back in 2010 and it was very hard to do in the beginning. Took me a couple of tries but once I got a month in it was much easier. I stopped primarily for health reasons. So, when I heard about snus and the supposed safety of it I was intrigued. The research does seem to imply that snus is safer than cigarettes or American smokeless tobacco.

But there are two big caveats to consider (and that I chose to ignore at the time):

1. The research is minimal - very minimal - and, although all showed no increase in mouth or throat cancer, one study did show an increase in pancreatic cancer among snus users.

2. Most of the research was funded by the Swedish snus companies. ^o)

Well, that didn't stop me. So I started snussing. I immediately discovered a few things that made me realize how snus can be way more addictive and "dangerous" than American dip.

1. No need to spit. No spit cups, no spills, no gross smells. You can snus anywhere, anytime.
2. If you use the pouches (and most snus users do) then there is no mess at all. The tins come with a convenient lid for storing used pouches. I could pop out an old pouch and pop in a new one in seconds with no mess and no one around me really knowing what I was doing. Which leads to...
3. No one knows when you are snussing. The pouches are small and go in the upper lip so unless you smile real big no one will see it. There is no smell, no juice. I snussed at work and no one knew. I snussed at home and no one knew. I could snus and eat with no problem. This is what I mean by "dangerous." I was snussing way more often than I was dipping because I could get away with it.

So the addiction is stronger than when I was dipping. I'd dip maybe 6 or 7 pinches a day. I had a snus in my cheek almost all the time. So, quitting this time seems harder. The physical withdrawal symptoms seem about the same but the craves are way more intense now IMO. Thankfully, the Smokey Mountain pouches are very close to snus in size and taste and serve as good substitutes.

Bottom line is that snus is scary stuff but it lacks many of the "nastiness" of American dip. Maybe it is "healthier" than American dip. Doesn't matter because it still is nicotine and can still fuck you up. I had high blood pressure for years. In the past week my blood pressure is normal. Gee, I wonder why that is!

I fucking hate nicotine - all forms of it. It is evil, pure evil.
I have a man crush.
I used to dip Copenhagen fine cut and often put it in my upper lip for all the same reasons you just mentioned. It sucked, but I was able to hide it. Glad that shit is over.

Welcome to freedom! Glad to see you taking your life back. It gets better with time, with each passing day, which is how we quit...... one day at a time.
I did the same thing er but normally it was less about hiding it and more due to the soreness of my bottom gums/lips.

none for me.....

hang in there snot....you will never regret this.....

read and learn.....the withdrawal is your brain "resetting" itself and it's production of dopamine.

This will happen. It will get easier.

Today....we will quit together.....all that matters is today.

Sing out if I can help you bro.

Offline Grizzlyhasclaws

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Epic Quitter
  • Quit Date: 10/31/2013
  • Interests: Family, Baseball, basketball, sales, living to see my kids grow.
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2014, 10:59:00 AM »
Quote from: Steelers
I can't remember where I saw it but somewhere on this site during my very earliest days of quit I saw the acronym "ODAAT" which is short for "One Day At A Time." This struck a chord with me and for the last nine days has been the cornerstone of my quit. When the craves are intense and all I want to do is cave and give it all up I think that all I have to do is make it today. And really, I posted roll so I have no choice but to make it though the day clean of nic. I will worry about tomorrow tomorrow.

Things I often tell myself when the going gets tough that focus on "One Day At A Time":

"Just 16 waking hours. Take it one hour at a time if you must but just focus on the next 16 hours."
"You only have a few hours let in the day. Just power through and you'll have this day done."
"Don't worry about that car trip/sporting event/major trigger coming up in a few days or next week. Only worry about today. You deal with that when the day comes."

Not having to worry about tomorrow or next week has been a huge relief to me. I can get through today. I have that much strength. I can't get through the next few days all at once but I can tackle them one day at a time. I get up, post roll, make my promise for one day and one day only. I can keep that.

"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."
Agreed, definite words of wisdom for so early in the quit. Keep up the great work...ODAAT
You get it brother. Keep it simple and stay focused.
Nicotine Quit Date:10/31/2013
Exercise Start Date: 6/29/2018

Offline Steelers

• Quitter
  • Interests: All Sports, namely my beloved Steelers
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2014, 10:31:00 AM »

6 time champs

Offline mattyf118

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2013-09-06
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2014, 10:00:00 AM »

Quit Date: 09/06/13
HOF Date: 12/14/13

Caving is not an option

Offline Snot

• Quitter
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2014, 09:51:00 AM »

Offline Mogul

• Quitter
  • Interests: Pilot
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2014, 05:38:00 PM »
Snot man, congrats on being a quitter. You have some heavy duty supporters here at KTC. use everything you have to keep that winning attitude. I quit with ya bro.

Mogul

Offline basshaug

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Epic Quitter
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2014, 12:57:00 AM »
Quote from: Erussell
I'm on Day 8 and I meant to start my introduction earlier. I was a dipper for over 25 years then actually stopped for about 4 months in 2010. I started again using Swedish snus and have been using that until I quit 8 days ago. Days 1 - 3 of my quit were pure hell. Insomnia, headaches, depression, constipation, craves. Suffered from some mild depression on day 2. St. John's wort really helps with that, BTW. By Day 4, the physical withdrawals were mostly gone.

Now I am dealing with the craves and they are intense. Day 7 was rough. Today seems a little better. I'm using seeds, gum, jerky, fake stuff, tic tacs, anything I can get my hands on lol. The triggers suck. I'm trying to keep up the exercise. Dear Lord, I hope this gets better soon.

"One day at a time" is my mantra right now. Screw tomorrow, I just got to get through today. Just got to get through today. Post roll and keep my promise.

I'm interested in your story... I've never used snus, but I hear from a variety of (in my opinion ignorant) folks how much "safer" Swedish Snus is. Curious if you can talk to the different between your stoppage / withdrawal from dip in 2010 vs. this time?

chewie
Thank you, Chewie!

I stopped back in 2010 and it was very hard to do in the beginning. Took me a couple of tries but once I got a month in it was much easier. I stopped primarily for health reasons. So, when I heard about snus and the supposed safety of it I was intrigued. The research does seem to imply that snus is safer than cigarettes or American smokeless tobacco.

But there are two big caveats to consider (and that I chose to ignore at the time):

1. The research is minimal - very minimal - and, although all showed no increase in mouth or throat cancer, one study did show an increase in pancreatic cancer among snus users.

Well, that didn't stop me. So I started snussing. I immediately discovered a few things that made me realize how snus can be way more addictive and "dangerous" than American dip.

1. No need to spit. No spit cups, no spills, no gross smells. You can snus anywhere, anytime.
2. If you use the pouches (and most snus users do) then there is no mess at all. The tins come with a convenient lid for storing used pouches. I could pop out an old pouch and pop in a new one in seconds with no mess and no one around me really knowing what I was doing. Which leads to...
3. No one knows when you are snussing. The pouches are small and go in the upper lip so unless you smile real big no one will see it. There is no smell, no juice. I snussed at work and no one knew. I snussed at home and no one knew. I could snus and eat with no problem. This is what I mean by "dangerous." I was snussing way more often than I was dipping because I could get away with it.

So the addiction is stronger than when I was dipping. I'd dip maybe 6 or 7 pinches a day. I had a snus in my cheek almost all the time. So, quitting this time seems harder. The physical withdrawal symptoms seem about the same but the craves are way more intense now IMO. Thankfully, the Smokey Mountain pouches are very close to snus in size and taste and serve as good substitutes.

Bottom line is that snus is scary stuff but it lacks many of the "nastiness" of American dip. Maybe it is "healthier" than American dip. Doesn't matter because it still is nicotine and can still fuck you up. I had high blood pressure for years. In the past week my blood pressure is normal. Gee, I wonder why that is!

I have a man crush.
I used to dip Copenhagen fine cut and often put it in my upper lip for all the same reasons you just mentioned. It sucked, but I was able to hide it. Glad that shit is over.

Welcome to freedom! Glad to see you taking your life back. It gets better with time, with each passing day, which is how we quit...... one day at a time.
'Finger' nicotine.

Good info in here. I would openly chew at home, ninja dip all day at work. you've made the best decision of your life. Proud to quit with you today snot.

Offline Erussell

• Quit Pro
  • Quit Date: 2013-04-30
  • Interests: Time with daughter. Anything outdoors.
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2014, 11:17:00 PM »

chewie
Thank you, Chewie!

I have a man crush.

I would rather lose to a cheater than win as a cheater.

Offline wastepanel

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Fuck you guys.
    • Scaretissue.com
  • Likes Given: 21
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2014, 10:35:00 PM »

chewie
Thank you, Chewie!

I have a man crush.
In the end I Surrender, I and I alone accept that I have and always will have a Nicotene ADDICTION. It is my choice to quit, but I can't do it alone. I get to go down this path one time, I want to do it right. I recognize that my word, my integrety to you is on the line and is only as good as my actions. Caving is not an option in this plan-Eafman 7/11

I am not cured. I will quit one day at a time. I will continue to do what works. Posting roll everyday. To do otherwise would be foolish on my part. You can do this-Ready 12/11

To overcome your addiction you must comprehend what it means to fail-Razd 3/12

Theres a lot of people that come here, especially vets, that WANT to be reminded that they are addicts.-Tarpon 6/12

Just as a building starts with architectural drawings. Your daily quit begins with a promise.-Scowick 2/13

Here and now, focused on today, minute by minute, whatever it takes, I promise to all my bros and myself not to become a negative stat and stay quit!-krok 1/15

I want everyone to be quit. Even the assholes.-Probe1957 1/18

Ignoring history or erasing history fixes nothing and leads you inevitably down the same path.-69franx 04/30/2021

Offline Snot

• Quitter
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2014, 10:31:00 PM »

That's all you can do man.

Glad to have you here. It's a roller coaster ride sometimes, but just do the now. It gets better. I promise.

You got my number man. I'll be here if you need me, but I need you to be there if I need you too. We can do this.
Thanks, WP, but actually I don't have your number. Your PM's never included it, I don't think.

Offline Snot

• Quitter
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2014, 10:29:00 PM »

chewie
Thank you, Chewie!

Offline wastepanel

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Fuck you guys.
    • Scaretissue.com
  • Likes Given: 21
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2014, 05:19:00 PM »

That's all you can do man.

Glad to have you here. It's a roller coaster ride sometimes, but just do the now. It gets better. I promise.

You got my number man. I'll be here if you need me, but I need you to be there if I need you too. We can do this.
In the end I Surrender, I and I alone accept that I have and always will have a Nicotene ADDICTION. It is my choice to quit, but I can't do it alone. I get to go down this path one time, I want to do it right. I recognize that my word, my integrety to you is on the line and is only as good as my actions. Caving is not an option in this plan-Eafman 7/11

I am not cured. I will quit one day at a time. I will continue to do what works. Posting roll everyday. To do otherwise would be foolish on my part. You can do this-Ready 12/11

To overcome your addiction you must comprehend what it means to fail-Razd 3/12

Theres a lot of people that come here, especially vets, that WANT to be reminded that they are addicts.-Tarpon 6/12

Just as a building starts with architectural drawings. Your daily quit begins with a promise.-Scowick 2/13

Here and now, focused on today, minute by minute, whatever it takes, I promise to all my bros and myself not to become a negative stat and stay quit!-krok 1/15

I want everyone to be quit. Even the assholes.-Probe1957 1/18

Ignoring history or erasing history fixes nothing and leads you inevitably down the same path.-69franx 04/30/2021

Offline chewie

• Administrator
  • Master of Quit
    • 406Northlane
  • Quit Date: 7.24.2006
  • Interests: quitting, family, digital marketing, beer, whiskey, horror movies... Fucks Given: 0
  • Likes Given: 351
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 05:16:00 PM »

chewie
"Every man dies... not every man really lives." - William Wallace

QD - 7.24.06 / HOF - 10.31.06 / 2nd - 2.08.07 / 3rd - 5.19.07 / 4th - 8.27.07 / 5th - 12.05.07 / 6th - 3.14.08 / 7th - 6.22.08 / 8th - 9.30.08 / 9th - 1.08.09 / Comma - 4.18.09 / 11th - 7.27.09 / 12th - 11.04.09 / 13th - 2.12.10 / 14th - 05.23.10 / 15th - 08.31.2010 / 16th - 12.9.10 / 17th - 3.19.11 / 18th - 6.27.11 / 19th - 10.5.11 / 2K - 1.13.12 / 21st - 4.22.12 / 22nd - 7.31.12 / 23rd - 11.8.12 / 24th - 2.16.13 / 25th - 5.27.13 / 26th - 9.4.13 / 27th - 12.12.13 / 28th - 3.24.14 / 29th - 7.1.14 / 3K - 10.9.14 / 31st - 1.17.15 / 32nd - 4.27.15 / 33rd - 8.5.15 / 34th - 9.13.15 / 35th - 2.21.16 / 36th - 5.31.16 / 37th - 9.8.16 / 38th - 12.17.16 / 39th - 3.27.17 / 4K - 7.5.17 / 41st - 10.13.17 / 42nd - 1.21.18 / 43rd - 5.1.18 / 44th - 8.9.18 / 45th - 11.17.18 / 46th - 2.25.19 / 47th - 6.5.19 / 48th - 9.13.19 / 49th - 12.22.19 / 5K - 4.1.20 / 51st - 7.9.20 / 52nd - 10.17.20 / 53rd - 1.25.21 / 54th - 5.5.21 / 55th - 8.13.21 / 56th - 11.21.21 / 57th - 3.1.22 / 58th - 6.9.22 / 59th - 9.17.22 / 6K - 12.26.22 / 61st - 4.5.23 / 62nd - 7.14.23 / 63rd - 10.22.23 / 64th - 1.20.24 / 65th - 5.9.24 / 66th - 8.17.24

Episode III: The Final Quit | 406 Northlane | ScareTissue.com