Author Topic: Quitting Today- God help me  (Read 1562 times)

Offline Old Dog New Tricks

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2015-05-28
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Quitting Today- God help me
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2015, 02:13:00 PM »
Climber. Like I said, I had a similar story. One of the things you're going to have to do is come clean with your wife and family. Most of us believe that our spouse is one of our strongest supporters. Of course, you know her, and we don't, so make your own decision. If it helps, here's a post from the day I fessed up with my wife after being, as Quark puts it, a lying ass-wipe with no integrity.

"One of my own prerequisites to quitting was that I take the advice of my KTC brothers and come clean with my wife. And not only with her but also with both my children (both in their teens). Couple of things I learned during my first (and hopefully last) heart to heart with people you've hurt:

1. The people you care about will be your greatest and most ardent supporters, but don't expect any forgiveness or support until you initially prove you're serious about quitting.

2. When you've been lying to someone for a long time, and then all of a sudden say "I'm sorry, that was my last lie", you can't expect that you'll have any credibility whatsoever until you earn it back.

3. Talking honestly and openly about drugs, addiction and your own weaknesses and lack of will power is not only cathartic but instructive. You are teaching your kids to live by example with both humility and determination.

4. You're heart-to-heart is much more meaningful if they see you doing something about it. Watching me embrace KTC and my new life without nicotine, makes them happy.

5. You might think these types of discussions are about YOU coming clean, and this GREAT thing you're doing by finally quitting. Wrong. This is about you taking the punishment you so rightfully deserve (but avoided for years because you were lying) by letting your victims vent. As much as you need to heal by apologizing, they need to heal their wounds by letting you know how you have hurt them and how angry they are with you, and how you better change or else. If you don't have a 2-way discussion where the people you hurt can hurt you back (verbally of course), then it wasn't a successful discussion. And it's your responsibility to keep the discussion cool headed and suck it up by not letting it escalate. YOU caused this. No one else. So take your medicine, earn their trust back and get busy getting quit.

6. Lastly, I promise you, that in a few days (it took 1.5 days for me and my family), after the dust has settled and the cold-shoulders and cooling-off periods have run their course, the people who care about you will be your strongest supporters. And to top it all off, you will have the stress-free feeling that comes with honesty.

Bottom line, my KTC brothers couldn't have given better advice. Re-establishing my integrity with my family is one of my biggest drivers to Quitting success."

Try that on. If it fits you, then give it a go when you're ready. PM or text me if you want to talk about any of this. It's pretty damn fresh in my mind.

Lastly, roll call EDD, keep your promise and repeat every day. Coming clean with your family means NOTHING if you cave.

Offline quark

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2015-03-23
  • Interests: Biking, swimming, running, reading
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2015, 01:31:00 PM »
Quote from: FreeFromCope
Quote from: Mtn
Hi all, I am 37/yo male from WA State.
1 can per day user since 18 years old. Going to need all the help I can get as I realize just how difficult it will be.
I have told myself all the lies one can muster up, and I'm sick of my double life.
I am a professional and must hide from co-workers and family the fact that I have been a slave to nicotine/chew.
I said I would quit when my daughter turns two years old. This month she will be 16. I feel like such an ass-wipe for all that I have put my family through over the years, and all the time/money/energy I have wasted for my habit.
Thanks for the encouragement in advance and look forward to this journey.
Climber, Welcome to the site brother and congrats on making the best decision of your life. As a former ninja dipper myself there are 3 pieces of advice I want to share with you that was told to me when I first quit. 1. This wasn't a habit. It is an addiction, an addiction that is slowly killing you. We are all addicts here and are fighting one day at a time to beat it. get mad that you were throwing away money to kill yourself and use this mentality to fuel your quit. 2. If you haven't yet, come clean to your family. Tell them that you are once and for all quitting dip and will never be going back to it. It will be hard at first but you will need their support throughout this and all of you will be happier in the long run. 3. Come here and rage, don't take it out on your family. They aren't the ones who put the dip in your mouth you did. They probably won't understand what you are going through but we do. We can take it when you are mad at the smallest things. Yell, rant do whatever you have to here.

Again welcome to the site and well done on your first roll post. Get to know your quit group exchange numbers, build accountability here and post roll every single day. It is the foundation of the site a promise to your group you won't use for that day. Let me know if you need anything.

FFC 365
Sounds like you have been an ass-wipe. I don't think anyone at KTC wants to be around an ass-wipe.

A man of integrity, however, is another matter altogether.

Become a man of integrity, give up that nicotine, and be the father your children deserve. All of us want a man of integrity quit with us.

Offline Old Dog New Tricks

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2015-05-28
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2015, 01:29:00 PM »
Climber... I'm really proud of you that you have decided to take your stand now. Might sound strange to have a stranger say he's proud of you, but I've been there. In fact, add 15 more years to your story and that's where I am; Now on Day 5 of quit.

You'll be joining our September Samurai 2015 Quit Group. We have a really strong group of Bad Ass Quitters and we are ALL going to make it together. For example, this past weekend, we had a group text going on our smart phones. As soon as someone had a craving, messages started flying in from 4 or 5 different KTC supporters... Bottom line, we all came through our first tough weekend without anyone caving.

I will PM you my digits. Text me or call me if you start to feel challenged. Also, lots of other quitters who have been doing this much longer than me will help you out too. Don't hesitate to lean on them.

In the meantime, surf the site, read up on symptoms, personal stories, etc. This site doesn't cost you a penny, but it's not free. Your cost is:

1. As soon as you wake up every morning, you must post roll call - which is your commitment to yourself, me and your fellow Samurai that you will not put nicotine in your system that day. Nice job posting roll today.

2. Honor your promise and make your Quit rock solid all day.

3. Wake up the next day and repeat.

Simple. :) Talk to you soon and be strong.

Offline FreeFromCope

• Quitter
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2015, 01:18:00 PM »
Quote from: Mtn
1 can per day user since 18 years old. Going to need all the help I can get as I realize just how difficult it will be.
I have told myself all the lies one can muster up, and I'm sick of my double life.
I am a professional and must hide from co-workers and family the fact that I have been a slave to nicotine/chew.
I said I would quit when my daughter turns two years old. This month she will be 16. I feel like such an ass-wipe for all that I have put my family through over the years, and all the time/money/energy I have wasted for my habit.
Climber, Welcome to the site brother and congrats on making the best decision of your life. As a former ninja dipper myself there are 3 pieces of advice I want to share with you that was told to me when I first quit. 1. This wasn't a habit. It is an addiction, an addiction that is slowly killing you. We are all addicts here and are fighting one day at a time to beat it. get mad that you were throwing away money to kill yourself and use this mentality to fuel your quit. 2. If you haven't yet, come clean to your family. Tell them that you are once and for all quitting dip and will never be going back to it. It will be hard at first but you will need their support throughout this and all of you will be happier in the long run. 3. Come here and rage, don't take it out on your family. They aren't the ones who put the dip in your mouth you did. They probably won't understand what you are going through but we do. We can take it when you are mad at the smallest things. Yell, rant do whatever you have to here.

Again welcome to the site and well done on your first roll post. Get to know your quit group exchange numbers, build accountability here and post roll every single day. It is the foundation of the site a promise to your group you won't use for that day. Let me know if you need anything.

FFC 365

Offline Mtn Climber

• Quitter
  • Likes Given: 1
Quitting Today- God help me
« on: June 01, 2015, 12:28:00 PM »