Author Topic: New to the Boards - 20+ Year User; Introduction  (Read 1861 times)

Offline brianl

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quit Pro
  • Interests: NOT DIPPING!!!!!Family, Friends, Concerts and supporting the Boston Teams!
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: New to the Boards - 20+ Year User; Introduction
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2010, 09:15:00 AM »
Welcome DualRadius!!

Good move dumping the nic gum. All that does is keep nicotine in your system.
I tried all that shit- the gum, the lozenge, always went back to the can.

Read as much as you can on this site. We are all here to help you and each other.

If you need anything feel free to PM me.

Stay Strong-Stay Quit

Brian

Offline DualRadius

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2010, 05:00:00 PM »
Quote from: GlennFtheKodiak

Sorry about your father-in-law. That's awful. besides the booze was he a smoker/dipper?
No... not at all. Just an alcoholic.

I guess alcohol is a major contributor to oral cancer. That's what I've read lately.

Offline Bean

• Quitter
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2010, 06:23:00 PM »
Sorry to hear about your father-in-law, but good choice. Cold turkey is the way to go...even if it is tough. Glad to hear it isn't too tough on you, but I suspect it will be.

If you do think of caving, you log on this site and read everything you can. Believe you can do it, post roll, and stay quit.

"Yesterday + 1" is your new motto. Don't worry about tomorrow, just Yesterday + 1. Before you know it, you'll be on two or three weeks down the road...and it will still sorta suck btw, but not as bad. And there is nothing like living nic free!!!

Offline GlennFtheKodiak

• Quitter
  • Interests: Gym and Coaching and Running Pop Warner Program. I'll fuck all you mother fuckers up.
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2010, 03:07:00 PM »
Quote from: DualRadius
Quote from: CoachDoc
Let's be clear, if you are posting roll, that means you are saying that you will be NIC free, not just DIP free.  All or nothing, bub.  What's it gonna be?
Funny... I said that, but I haven't had any of the gum since yesterday afternoon. It really didn't do much for me.

NIC free it is...

KD
Good for you! I'm surprised there are no symptoms after getting rid of the gum. I was only chewing a few pieces a day when i came here and when I stopped got violently ill. Trust me, the gum is doing a lot more than you think delivering that nic to your body.

Anyway good for you if its going smoothly now. Be prepared for lots of up and downs both physically and mentally. That's why we are here and why you need to be here.

Sorry about your father-in-law. That's awful. besides the booze was he a smoker/dipper?
football rules, soccer drools

HOF: July 7th, 2009

Offline DualRadius

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2010, 02:35:00 PM »
Quote from: CoachDoc
Let's be clear, if you are posting roll, that means you are saying that you will be NIC free, not just DIP free. All or nothing, bub. What's it gonna be?
Funny... I said that, but I haven't had any of the gum since yesterday afternoon. It really didn't do much for me.

NIC free it is...

KD

Offline CoachDoc

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2010-02-24
  • Interests: Coaching football/baseball, reading, hiking, kayaking, camping, watching my 4 sons grow up
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2010, 02:10:00 PM »
(I posted this on one of the blog pages, but thought would be better here)

My name is Kevin. IÂ’m 40 years old, and have a wife and two boys. Live in KS.

IÂ’ve chewed for 20 + years. Started in college and havenÂ’t quit since. In that time IÂ’ve chewed Kodiak, Skoal, Skoal Bandits, Redman, Levi Garrett, and most recently I switched to Camel Snus Frost Pouches. Love the flavor of the Frost pouches from Camel.

Anyway, my story is only a little involvedÂ….

I don’t know how common this is, but I learned to swallow (rather than spit) from day 1. The guy that gave me a dip said it was a lot easier to do that than spit all of the time – so that’s what I did.

As a result, I have BarrettÂ’s esophogus, and have to have an upper GI every couple of years. Chances of cancer are increased dramatically.

My sister is a dental hygienist, and so I get to hear it from her all of the time.

VERY recently my father in law, an alcoholic, was diagnosed with mouth cancer and next week will have his tongue and the lower part of his FACE removed entirely.

I canÂ’t tell you how scary this is to me now that IÂ’m faced with it on a more personal level.

I just quit TWO days ago, and itÂ’s actually not quite as bad as I thought. I have had sweats, and after eating is obviously a bear, but IÂ’m getting by with nicorette.

I am THINKING about picking up some smokey mountain and giving it a try, but I have a feeling that it will do me more harm than good. I have tried Oregon and a couple of others, but really didnÂ’t care for them. I like chewing gum better when I tried them.
First, glad you are here.

Second, you have got to get off the Nicorette RIGHT NOW. As long as that is in your mouth, nic is entering your system, therefore, you are not quit. You say it isn't as bad as you might have thought...that's because you are still using one of the most addictive drug out there - nicotine.

Let's be clear, if you are posting roll, that means you are saying that you will be NIC free, not just DIP free. All or nothing, bub. What's it gonna be?
Blah...Blah...Blah...You keep TALKIN....I'll keep QUITTIN

I'm not here to make friends, I'm here to support YOUR quit.

Quit Date: 2/25/10 and every day since
HoF: June 4, 2010
HOF Speech
10th Floor: November 20, 2012

Offline DualRadius

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2010, 01:47:00 PM »
Thanks Scooners!

No ... failure is NOT an option this time.

KD

Offline DualRadius

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 01:39:00 PM »
BTW... Glad to be here, and glad to see this forum is active.

Offline scooners

• Quitter
  • Interests: Snowboarding, smoking meat and cooking, watching football, camping, target shooting, bike riding, not chooing.
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 01:39:00 PM »
I just quit TWO days ago, and itÂ’s actually not quite as bad as I thought. I have had sweats, and after eating is obviously a bear, but IÂ’m getting by with nicorette.
Kevin,

Congrats on quitting - just quit myself, this is day 3. Starting to feel better now. I went witht the cold turkey sand. No nic here. Everybody and I mean everybody I have ever seen try to quit either smoking or chewing while messing around with the patch or whatever - ended right back where they started.

Quit = Quit = NO Nic.

I am feeling ya bro.

Failure is not an option.

Lee
Quit Date 10/09/2010; HOF 1/17/2011
Cancer and Death will not work on your Time Table, why work on Theirs - Quit Today.
If you fail to plan, plan to fail.
The older I get, the better I was - made an even bigger improvment the day I quit dip.
HOF Speech

Offline DualRadius

New to the Boards - 20+ Year User; Introduction
« on: October 12, 2010, 01:21:00 PM »
(I posted this on one of the blog pages, but thought would be better here)

My name is Kevin. IÂ’m 40 years old, and have a wife and two boys. Live in KS.

IÂ’ve chewed for 20 + years. Started in college and havenÂ’t quit since. In that time IÂ’ve chewed Kodiak, Skoal, Skoal Bandits, Redman, Levi Garrett, and most recently I switched to Camel Snus Frost Pouches. Love the flavor of the Frost pouches from Camel.

Anyway, my story is only a little involvedÂ….

I don’t know how common this is, but I learned to swallow (rather than spit) from day 1. The guy that gave me a dip said it was a lot easier to do that than spit all of the time – so that’s what I did.

As a result, I have BarrettÂ’s esophogus, and have to have an upper GI every couple of years. Chances of cancer are increased dramatically.

My sister is a dental hygienist, and so I get to hear it from her all of the time.

VERY recently my father in law, an alcoholic, was diagnosed with mouth cancer and next week will have his tongue and the lower part of his FACE removed entirely.

I canÂ’t tell you how scary this is to me now that IÂ’m faced with it on a more personal level.

I am THINKING about picking up some smokey mountain and giving it a try, but I have a feeling that it will do me more harm than good. I have tried Oregon and a couple of others, but really didnÂ’t care for them. I like chewing gum better when I tried them.