Author Topic: Support for Supportive Spouses?  (Read 1948 times)

Offline alogan1023

• Quitter
  • To grow, leave your comfort zone!
  • Quit Date: 10-29-2012
  • Interests: Hunting, camping, hiking, photography, my kids.
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: Support for Supportive Spouses?
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 12:40:00 PM »
TryingToHelp,

I, unfortunately, agree with 30yrAddict. No amount of want will help in this case - it truly has to come from him. Addiction is truly a horrible thing. It may be hard for you to understand, given that you've a past with nicotine, but you were fortunate enough to quit before it was an addiction. *(Good for you! - but it makes it even tougher to understand the addict's mind.)

Nicotine may not seem too bad when you compare it to other "major" drugs like meth, cocaine, etc... Because the damage is so much slower, people disregard it or downplay the addiction. It is NO DIFFERENT... Addicts harbor - cherish (almost) that which they crave! I hated EVERY minute that I used... Dip and smokes... I told myself that I enjoyed it... and would tell others - but the truth is that the little voice in my mind would scream that I HATE IT because I cannot stop it.

I quit using dip for well over a year - and it was a death that triggered my fall. My cousin dies prematurely in a car accident - 21 year old soldier between deployments, and our family of guys share his last can of dip... There is no occasional use when you are an addict.

As for the pre-existing condition and dealing with his lies and such... if you have not told him how you feel, tell him. If fear of death doesn't motivate him enough, then fear of love will? I don't know what to say... fruitless my words seem to be.

Best of luck!

algoan

Offline 30yraddict

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Quit Feb 13, 2011
  • Likes Given: 67
Re: Support for Supportive Spouses?
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 12:26:00 PM »
I wish I had better news, I really do... but he has to quit for himself. He has to get to the point that he is not willing to accept failure any more. Until he gets to that point, there is little you or I or anyone here can do to help. All of us here were like him at one time - a slave. All of us had to get to the point that we were thoroughly sick of being slaves before we were able to gain control of our addiction. So it is with your husband. When he gets to that point, we can help him get through the rough spots.

Don't mean to get overly personal, but to me it sounds like the two of you might benefit from some marriage counseling as it seems as if this has built up quite a bit of resentment.

Offline TryingToHelp

• Likes Given: 0
Support for Supportive Spouses?
« on: December 05, 2012, 12:13:00 PM »
your site is wonderful, and thank you for all your are doing to help so many people.
I am hoping for some guidance. Is there a forum for spouses? I need help. The one page on spousal support has been exhausted. After 8 years of marriage and approximately 5 years of quitting (apparently less of "really this time")... I am running out of motivation to try to help anymore. The lies, the hiding, the worry, the irritability, the expense, the lies, the lies, the worry, seeing the angst, wanting to help, more lies, more worry, more anger, more irritability, depression ... I am moving from how can I help toward how can I get help? It is breaking my heart. Since he wasn't honest about it before we married, I feel like a victim of fraud. I didn't sign up for this. It is one thing if it started after we married, but it was a "pre-existing condition" that I was not told about but get to deal with all the consequences. The health concerns terrify me. His parents (smokers) are both dead from heart disease. This is a ticking time bomb that has to be defused once and for all. I won't write a book here. But I feel like we have tried everything. He will at least now come to me and ask for help instead of waiting for me to find a stash and freak out (from being lied to and being slapped in the face with the worry again), but since nothing I do helps and all my ideas are rejected, I am past wanting to get involved. I found this site years ago, and he values it. He even got to 100 days once, and I made him a "World's Best Quitter" certificate. He has tried so many things. I have literally lost count now (I am an engineer, good with numbers...) He now finally wants my help and I am worn out and don't want to be involved and set up for another cycle of hope and then right back where we started. Please don't hate me or flame me. I don't understand addiction to this degree. I am one of those freaks who used to smoke, put them down, then could randomly smoke socially (drinking) and not be a habit and doesn't miss it. Addiction runs rampant in my family so I don't see how I could have not gotten the gene, but it seems I didn't. So it is hard for me to understand how someone can want to not do something so badly and then go back to it so many times despite so many approaches and support. If it was free and laying around like candy in the breakroom, maybe, but deliberately walking into a store and paying hard earned money for poison and starting the cycle over blows my mind. Especially after we have moved to a state where it costs twice as much and he was excited because he would not be willing to pay $5+ for a can of Grizzly. Anyway... I don't know what to do now. Doing the same thing is not an option. What now... :'-(