Author Topic: Need help with my quit  (Read 3636 times)

Offline rtpope

• Quit Pro
  • Interests: Umpiring baseball, hunting, fishing, college baskeball, NFL, basically sports in general....
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Need help with my quit
« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2014, 11:17:00 PM »
Quote from: worktowin
Quote from: slug.go
Quote from: deepbrah
Yeah that's pretty helpful actually.  I wish I could explain how I feel, I mean I feel like I'm getting my appetite back but I still can't eat. 

Nicotine is such a terrible thing, we all know that now.

I think the depression comes from knowing that I've poisoned my body for so many years and didn't really think about the health of myself or my mouth.  I'm afraid that it might be too late.  By the time I came to my senses, it would be too late.  Imagine that.

Lots of praying, lots of crying, lots of trying to fill a void with something.  I've asked God to fill the void.  I've asked God to help me fill the void with my family.

At this point, I feel like I need depression help more than I need nicotine help.
I'm not a medical professional nor have I experienced depression like you're experiencing. But we're here to support each other. If you believe you need help with depression, please get professional assistance. Depression can be devastating, seeking help may be your best recourse.
The depression is common. Very. A lot of members on this board get Wellbutrin. If you think it would help - go for it. You jacked up your brain for almost 6,000 days my friend. Day by day you are rewiring. It takes time. I promise that it gets better. One day at a time, do what you gotta do (nicotine free of course) and you will break through!
Again, I'm def not a medical guy...but I had the blues/depression/funk or something Mon  Tues of this week. I've felt better today. I would say that if you still have some stuff going on for more than a few days, go see someone. I had never experienced anything like that but now understand why antidepressants are praised so much. Get the help you need to be the man you were meant to be. You can do this. Quit with you today.

Offline worktowin

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Interests: GymWorkTravel
  • Likes Given: 108
« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2014, 08:47:00 PM »
Quote from: slug.go
Yeah that's pretty helpful actually.  I wish I could explain how I feel, I mean I feel like I'm getting my appetite back but I still can't eat. 

I think the depression comes from knowing that I've poisoned my body for so many years and didn't really think about the health of myself or my mouth.  I'm afraid that it might be too late.  By the time I came to my senses, it would be too late.  Imagine that.

Lots of praying, lots of crying, lots of trying to fill a void with something.  I've asked God to fill the void.  I've asked God to help me fill the void with my family.

At this point, I feel like I need depression help more than I need nicotine help.
I'm not a medical professional nor have I experienced depression like you're experiencing. But we're here to support each other. If you believe you need help with depression, please get professional assistance. Depression can be devastating, seeking help may be your best recourse.
The depression is common. Very. A lot of members on this board get Wellbutrin. If you think it would help - go for it. You jacked up your brain for almost 6,000 days my friend. Day by day you are rewiring. It takes time. I promise that it gets better. One day at a time, do what you gotta do (nicotine free of course) and you will break through!

Offline slug.go

• Epic Quitter
  • Quit Date: 1/23/14
  • Interests: Family, motorcycles, all sports, hunting, fishing, guns
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2014, 08:02:00 PM »
Yeah that's pretty helpful actually. I wish I could explain how I feel, I mean I feel like I'm getting my appetite back but I still can't eat.

I think the depression comes from knowing that I've poisoned my body for so many years and didn't really think about the health of myself or my mouth. I'm afraid that it might be too late. By the time I came to my senses, it would be too late. Imagine that.

Lots of praying, lots of crying, lots of trying to fill a void with something. I've asked God to fill the void. I've asked God to help me fill the void with my family.

Quit since 1/23/14

Offline ParadigmDawg

• Quitter
  • Interests: Mountain BikingRoad BikingHome Audio
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2014, 07:55:00 PM »
Yeah that's pretty helpful actually. I wish I could explain how I feel, I mean I feel like I'm getting my appetite back but I still can't eat.

I think the depression comes from knowing that I've poisoned my body for so many years and didn't really think about the health of myself or my mouth. I'm afraid that it might be too late. By the time I came to my senses, it would be too late. Imagine that.

Lots of praying, lots of crying, lots of trying to fill a void with something. I've asked God to fill the void. I've asked God to help me fill the void with my family.

I would encourage you to make a timeline and keep it in your wallet. I had days where I had to read mine 10 times and it helped each time.

I have never had an ounce of depression in my life until my quit. It sucked but it went away too.
Oh little worm-dirt...you are so scary...F' OFF...!!!

Offline srans

• Quit Pro
  • Interests: Fishing and playing the guitar.
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2014, 10:35:00 AM »

The emotional rollercoaster can really mess with you. It's going to take a while for your head to begin working properly. One minute at a time if you have to.

You're making your way to a door. This door is hard to get to and open, but you will get there. Settle in, sharpen your tools and keep your head pointed forward. Make your way to the door and don't let anything stop you. There is no returning to where you came from. Need some digits let me know. Quit with you.
Hof date may 25, 2013
HoF Speech

The poison sucks. I hate it. I hated it this morning, I hated it at noon, I hated it at supper and I hate it tonight. I enjoy hating it so much I'm going to wake up tomorrow and start over hating it. I quit with anyone that wants to hate it with me.

Offline deepbrah

« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2014, 10:02:00 AM »

Offline ParadigmDawg

• Quitter
  • Interests: Mountain BikingRoad BikingHome Audio
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2014, 09:38:00 AM »
DB, how goes it?
It's going. I'm still stressing out about little things. Trying to keep myself busy. My digestive system is still a mess. But no nicotine...If I get my appetite back I'll start hitting the gym. But I'm afraid to burn calories I'm not even eating.
Here is a brief timeline on how my quit is going, I'm not sure if it's helpful or not but I made it for another new quitter and he seemed to like it.

The good news is that you understand how to use your tools and you have some good fight in you. The better news is that it gets so much easier very quickly. Now, I realize that "quickly" is a very relative term- as when you are suffering minute to minute, 5 or 6 weeks seem like 100 years. In reality, 5 or 6 weeks is not a very long time.

Keep in mind, I am no expert and I am just going off of what I have experienced the past 218 days. My "suck scale" looked something like this:

Day 1-3: bad fog, my brain didn't work at all. Very little sleep and couldn't take a dump to save my life. I wanted a dip every second of each day.

Day 4-10: Pretty much out of the fog but bad, bad cravings and headache every second of the day

Day 11-14: My cruise control days, I didn't think about dipping much and craves were few and far between. Sleeping good but too much.

Day 15-21 Starting to get my energy level back up. Craves about 2-4 per day and short. The first thing every morning, I started to get an empty and sick feeling in my stomach when I thought about not being able to dip. Started losing my temper easily.

Day 22-25 No real changes, cruising along but feeling a little depressed. I started learning how to hate my addiction and was really mad about it.

Day 26- 30: Wow, I was starting to gain a lot of weight. Weird how I replaced Cope with Ice Cream and cake. I don't even eat sweets but here I am 10 lbs heavier. I don't care, I'm not dipping and the craves are mild.

Day 31-38: Freaking fog was back, some nasty craves and my temper way out of control. WTF!

Day 39-60: The roller coaster days. Mod craves followed by no craves, bad temper and mild depression. A difficult time but I was not giving up at this point.

Day 61-73: The best days by far. Seldom think about dip, temper is way better, sleeping like a normal person and just feeling pretty darn good. I am stacking up these good days to recharge my batteries and prepare for the next round of fights".

Day 74- 85: Really good days. Strong cravings when I have too many drinks so I have been careful with drinking. Normal days are now 0-1 crave. My temper has been completely under control for 2 weeks now.

Day 86-99: Zero craves, zero dip dreams and temper under control. The strong craves when I drink are also gone. I am disgusted when I see someone dip. Proudly watching my group hit HOF one at a time; which is just how we quit, one day at a time. My guard is still held high as I know the fight is far from over.

Day 100-135: I am on a high as I have reached my first goal. My guard is held the highest it has ever been in because I will not disappoint all those who have helped me.

Day 136-218: Zero, I mean nadda, zip, nothing as far as craves go. My cardio recovery time is amazing on the bike now and I just donÂ’t dip. I told my wife last night that this is the first time I have ever truly quit. Sure, I stopped for 262 days once but it didnÂ’t feel like this.
Oh little worm-dirt...you are so scary...F' OFF...!!!

Offline deepbrah

« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2014, 09:32:00 AM »
DB, how goes it?
It's going. I'm still stressing out about little things. Trying to keep myself busy. My digestive system is still a mess. But no nicotine...If I get my appetite back I'll start hitting the gym. But I'm afraid to burn calories I'm not even eating.

Offline worktowin

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2014, 10:21:00 PM »
DB, how goes it?

Offline rdad

• Quit Pro
  • Quit Date: 11/22/13
  • Interests: All Shooting Sports, Reloading, Fly Fishing, and Music.
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2014, 06:33:00 PM »
Quote from: sh4string
Quote from: Minny
Quote from: srans
The day is dragging.  I'm in bad shape today.  Got up at 8...figured I could get some stuff done before I had to leave at 11:30 but I've done nothing but sit here.

I find myself just googling nicotine withdrawl and other random stuff...

This road is a rough one.  I just want to feel normal again.

Thinking about being depressed is so depressing.  I need to get my mind off this whole thing.
You want to feel normal keep the poison out. Normal people don't depend on this disgusting addiction to make it through the day. Reality,, we are not normal and probably will never be, but one day at a time and you can have back a lot of what the poison has stolen. Never again for any reason and you can keep it. Keep your head pointed forward, nothing back there (Sm).
Go get some exercise and report back. You will feel much better.
5,840 days of poisoning your brain versus 7 days of freedom. You are killing it man! Focus on getting through today only. The next minute. The next hour. You can do this. And you will never have to go through a day 7 again.

Use this site. There is a shitload of info. Keep your mind distracted by learning what you are battling and how you will win.

Have you reached out to anyone? Do you have any numbers saved in your phone? Build a winning game plan with as many layers if accountability as you possibly can. The more people on your team, and the more teams you are on... The better.
Stay in the game......going back to cancer dirt won't help.....we know it sucks we have all been there.....it will get better and it is so worth it!!
deepbrah, hang in there buddy. ODAAT. You can do this. Things get so much better. Your little son deserves a free and clean Dad! ;Ironman:

Offline Sh4string

• Quitter
  • Master of Quit
  • Quit Date: 10/21/2013
  • Interests: Family, Hunting, fishing, outdoors, triathlon
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2014, 06:22:00 PM »
The day is dragging.  I'm in bad shape today.  Got up at 8...figured I could get some stuff done before I had to leave at 11:30 but I've done nothing but sit here.

Thinking about being depressed is so depressing.  I need to get my mind off this whole thing.
You want to feel normal keep the poison out. Normal people don't depend on this disgusting addiction to make it through the day. Reality,, we are not normal and probably will never be, but one day at a time and you can have back a lot of what the poison has stolen. Never again for any reason and you can keep it. Keep your head pointed forward, nothing back there (Sm).
5,840 days of poisoning your brain versus 7 days of freedom. You are killing it man! Focus on getting through today only. The next minute. The next hour. You can do this. And you will never have to go through a day 7 again.

Use this site. There is a shitload of info. Keep your mind distracted by learning what you are battling and how you will win.

Have you reached out to anyone? Do you have any numbers saved in your phone? Build a winning game plan with as many layers if accountability as you possibly can. The more people on your team, and the more teams you are on... The better.
Stay in the game......going back to cancer dirt won't help.....we know it sucks we have all been there.....it will get better and it is so worth it!! I had a lot of your symptoms....developed a lump in my lip that I was sure was cancer.... My jaw hurt, mouth and gums hurt.....etc. yet I literally felt like a close friend had died....I wanted to be dip free when the cancer diagnosis came in.....it ended up the lump went away and I have a clean bill of health. By the I was pissed at nicotine and fought like hell with a lot of help from the people here. Today I'm healthy, happy and clean At day 127, and it gets better.....do not give up and take it one day at a time
Quitting every damn day since October 21, 2013

Offline worktowin

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2014, 04:25:00 PM »

Offline Minny

• Quitter
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2014, 02:26:00 PM »

Quit Date 7/12/13
HOF Date 10/19/13

My HOF Speech

Offline srans

• Quit Pro
  • Interests: Fishing and playing the guitar.
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2014, 01:39:00 PM »

Hof date may 25, 2013
HoF Speech

The poison sucks. I hate it. I hated it this morning, I hated it at noon, I hated it at supper and I hate it tonight. I enjoy hating it so much I'm going to wake up tomorrow and start over hating it. I quit with anyone that wants to hate it with me.

Offline Quitforsoj

• Quitter
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2014, 12:39:00 PM »
Get yourself some of the fake stuff -- smoakey mountain , gum , sun flower seeds

The first few days are the worst .. I am on day 6 and feel quite good at this point /// previously 3 to 5 cans a weeks - kodiak