Author Topic: trying to quit with the patch  (Read 4673 times)

Offline Ready

• Admin (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Likes Given: 19
Re: trying to quit with the patch
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2010, 04:53:00 PM »
Quote from: RWM
Quote from: MikeA
Quote from: theo3wood
Quote from: bman50317
Quote from: klark
Quote from: Syndrome
Don't post until you are quit.   Posting with a patch isn't quit.   This is no nic site.
man i see this way to much round here. and its not true. NRT is excepted here but only if you use it exactly the way its perscribed. not using it when ever you feel like it witch wood be more of a gum thing then the patch thing.

on the flip side most of us also will tell you it aint the way to go and theres plenty in this here thred. and i aint gonna argue a bit with the rest a the avice here.

i tell you now i was erly on the "imbrace the suck. remember the suck. dont repete the suck" band wagon.
The deranged one is correct here. As 44 used to put it..."using NRT EXACTLY as prescribed" is allowed, BUT...

...if you're supposed to chew three pieces a day, and you so much as lick the candy coating of a fourth, that's a cave."

Some guys have posted two dates "no dip date", and "no nic date". I, like many others, used the gum for a couple weeks before listening to others on this site, and finally realizing how stupid it was.
theo I am going to have to respectfully disagree with you. If it's three pieces and three pieces only why spend the extra money, just have 3 dips a day. I mean, it's still nicotine and you are cutting down.

From the welcome center: Roll Call - Why we do it... - back to top
Roll call is the most important thing you will do here. That one simple act will be what makes this quit different than any other attempt. Roll call, quite simply, is a promise to your brothers that you will be Nicotine Free for that day.

Did that ideology change?
ya theo, old theory. New breed of quitters these days. 100% cold fucking turkey now days. That's what we did and that's what we expect,
That ideology has not changed. Roll Call is the most important thing we do.....Our word is our bond. Though last time I checked, the introduction section wasn't exactly the place you posted roll.

There have been some quitters in here that have used NRT and posted in the intro-section to respect those that are completely nic free. Though I agree that cold-turkey is the way to go, I will still support someone who is trying to quit with NRT as long as they are using it properly.

BigDuke, you gotta do what is best for you. Make a plan and stick to it.
It is just fine to post in the intro section until you are ready to quit. The quitters roll call are for those who have quit.
There have been many guys post in the intro section about a planned quit date and they are shown a better way. Just like we are trying to do here. Why would anyone advise people to prolong the suck by using nicotine?
Beg to differ, mikey. NOBODY in this thread has advised the fresh quitter to use NRT. We've unanimously suggested that it is a bad idea. Accepted? Yes. Good idea? Frick, NO!
any means necessary? Well that leaves the door wide open.
Well reading thru all the Vet answers, makes me wonder why I was confused in the first place... Seems pretty clear as mud to me. :D

I think the quit tag line should be:

Post up, give your word that you will not use dip. We understand that you might be a weak ass MF and need to use other methods to continue to injest the nic. So no dip, but feel free to shoot up, snort nic, smoke it -but only second hand, drink from a spit cup as long as you didn't produce it, lick an ash tray, eat cig butts, wear a patch and chew nic gum... JUST DON'T DIP.

Or if you want to succeed, use this site and stop putting any kind of nic poison into your body via any method.

Acutally it's a good debate that was had and as someone that's only been here for 60 days it's helpful to see input for you all. I do like the idea of - if you post in the quit zone, you should post and indicate your patch days (or days left). Might help the fellow quiters know how to support you better.

Quit long and prosper!
This debate is far from new...

index.php?showtopic=2072

Ready runs like hell after knocking down the hornets nest

Offline RWM

• Quitter
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2010, 04:46:00 PM »
Don't post until you are quit.   Posting with a patch isn't quit.   This is no nic site.
man i see this way to much round here. and its not true. NRT is excepted here but only if you use it exactly the way its perscribed. not using it when ever you feel like it witch wood be more of a gum thing then the patch thing.

on the flip side most of us also will tell you it aint the way to go and theres plenty in this here thred. and i aint gonna argue a bit with the rest a the avice here.

i tell you now i was erly on the "imbrace the suck. remember the suck. dont repete the suck" band wagon.
The deranged one is correct here. As 44 used to put it..."using NRT EXACTLY as prescribed" is allowed, BUT...

...if you're supposed to chew three pieces a day, and you so much as lick the candy coating of a fourth, that's a cave."

Some guys have posted two dates "no dip date", and "no nic date". I, like many others, used the gum for a couple weeks before listening to others on this site, and finally realizing how stupid it was.
theo I am going to have to respectfully disagree with you. If it's three pieces and three pieces only why spend the extra money, just have 3 dips a day. I mean, it's still nicotine and you are cutting down.

Roll call is the most important thing you will do here. That one simple act will be what makes this quit different than any other attempt. Roll call, quite simply, is a promise to your brothers that you will be Nicotine Free for that day.

ya theo, old theory. New breed of quitters these days. 100% cold fucking turkey now days. That's what we did and that's what we expect,
That ideology has not changed. Roll Call is the most important thing we do.....Our word is our bond. Though last time I checked, the introduction section wasn't exactly the place you posted roll.

There have been some quitters in here that have used NRT and posted in the intro-section to respect those that are completely nic free. Though I agree that cold-turkey is the way to go, I will still support someone who is trying to quit with NRT as long as they are using it properly.

It is just fine to post in the intro section until you are ready to quit. The quitters roll call are for those who have quit.
There have been many guys post in the intro section about a planned quit date and they are shown a better way. Just like we are trying to do here. Why would anyone advise people to prolong the suck by using nicotine?
Beg to differ, mikey. NOBODY in this thread has advised the fresh quitter to use NRT. We've unanimously suggested that it is a bad idea. Accepted? Yes. Good idea? Frick, NO!
Well reading thru all the Vet answers, makes me wonder why I was confused in the first place... Seems pretty clear as mud to me. :D

I think the quit tag line should be:

Post up, give your word that you will not use dip. We understand that you might be a weak ass MF and need to use other methods to continue to injest the nic. So no dip, but feel free to shoot up, snort nic, smoke it -but only second hand, drink from a spit cup as long as you didn't produce it, lick an ash tray, eat cig butts, wear a patch and chew nic gum... JUST DON'T DIP.

Or if you want to succeed, use this site and stop putting any kind of nic poison into your body via any method.

Acutally it's a good debate that was had and as someone that's only been here for 60 days it's helpful to see input for you all. I do like the idea of - if you post in the quit zone, you should post and indicate your patch days (or days left). Might help the fellow quiters know how to support you better.

Quit long and prosper!
Quit Date: 6/14/10 Hof Date: 9/21/10

My HOF Speech

Philippians 4:6 - Don?t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done.

Offline MikeA

• Quit Pro
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2010, 04:07:00 PM »

Offline bman50317

• Epic Quitter
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2010, 03:54:00 PM »

I advise people to quit by using any means necessary. For me it was cold turkey and leaning on my brothers.
Time heals but I'm forever broken

Offline theo3wood

• Quitter
  • Interests: Growing delicious food and pretty flowers, and sharing them with people I love.
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2010, 03:50:00 PM »

"the cycle is over. we are clean. we are shining beacons to the masses that think it can't be done." ...LooT

"We have the right to watch our children grow and have earned the right to participate in their lives. We will not be denied. Success can be our only option now. We can never tire, give up, fail, or falter. We are worth more than this addiction and will stop at nothing to beat it." ...Sweenz

Offline MikeA

• Quit Pro
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2010, 03:35:00 PM »

Offline jpine

• Quit Pro
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2010, 03:23:00 PM »

bman i guess you or i didnt get the memo of the new rules here Big Duke congrats on quitting

Offline bman50317

• Epic Quitter
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2010, 03:19:00 PM »

Time heals but I'm forever broken

Offline MikeA

• Quit Pro
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2010, 02:59:00 PM »

Offline klark

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Quit Date: 10/22/2009
  • Likes Given: 67
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2010, 02:30:00 PM »

A promise not kept is the road to exile.

If quitting is cool, consider me Myles Davis.

Unless you bring value onto my 1/2 acre, I don't want to hear it.

Offline theo3wood

• Quitter
  • Interests: Growing delicious food and pretty flowers, and sharing them with people I love.
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2010, 02:02:00 PM »
Don't post until you are quit.  Posting with a patch isn't quit.  This is no nic site.

"the cycle is over. we are clean. we are shining beacons to the masses that think it can't be done." ...LooT

"We have the right to watch our children grow and have earned the right to participate in their lives. We will not be denied. Success can be our only option now. We can never tire, give up, fail, or falter. We are worth more than this addiction and will stop at nothing to beat it." ...Sweenz

Offline Greg5280

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quit King
  • BONAFIDE QUIT BEAST
  • Quit Date: 10-30-2009
  • Interests: Golf, Running, Cycling, Being outside, Spending time with my family. Quitting and helping newbies.
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2010, 01:36:00 PM »
Quote from: kdip
Quote from: redtrain14
Quote from: redyota

Using of the patch makes it hurt a little for a long time (however long you use it) then hurt a lot once your off it for about three days. Then you begin to get a little better each day.

Cold turkey make its hurt a whole lot for 3 days. Then you begin to get a little better each day.
I like this yota. Kinda like the difference between cutting a rotting, puss infected finger off with a dull butter knife or sharp axe.

Just get it over with.
1 more vote for ice cold turkey. I did it and I was a 2 can a day dipper for 23 years. Went cold turkey and never looked back.
Did it suck, hell yes it did, but it is awesome today!!
Cold Turkey is the ONLY way to go!!! Rip that damn thing off your arm right now!!! Get it over with in the shortest amount of time!!! Like Yota says, the patch only delays the pain!!! Use fake dip to satisfly that empty feeling in your lip!
I will agree with all of this. Cold turkey is the only way to go. I was a can to a can and a half a day guy for 23 years. Quit cold turkey 286 days ago. Just wish I had been smart enought to do it a long time ago.

It sucks serious ass for awhile, but the feeling on the other side is soooo much better. You CAN do this if you want to. We are all proof of that.

Now get rid of the NRT's and lets get this quit rolling !!

Offline syndrome

• geezer squad
  • Master of Quit
  • you kids get off my yard
  • Quit Date: 11/13/08
  • Likes Given: 718
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2010, 12:53:00 PM »
Don't post until you are quit. Posting with a patch isn't quit. This is no nic site.

Offline Kdip

• Administrator
  • Master of Quit
  • Interests: Quitting and helping others quit, riding my motorcycle, baseball, football, old furniture restoration, junk collecting, vintage arcade machines, rafting, tubing, camping, my family and dog
  • Likes Given: 295
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2010, 10:53:00 AM »

Using of the patch makes it hurt a little for a long time (however long you use it) then hurt a lot once your off it for about three days. Then you begin to get a little better each day.

Cold turkey make its hurt a whole lot for 3 days. Then you begin to get a little better each day.
I like this yota. Kinda like the difference between cutting a rotting, puss infected finger off with a dull butter knife or sharp axe.

Just get it over with.
1 more vote for ice cold turkey. I did it and I was a 2 can a day dipper for 23 years. Went cold turkey and never looked back.
Cold Turkey is the ONLY way to go!!! Rip that damn thing off your arm right now!!! Get it over with in the shortest amount of time!!! Like Yota says, the patch only delays the pain!!! Use fake dip to satisfly that empty feeling in your lip!

Offline MikeA

• Quit Pro
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2010, 10:42:00 AM »

Just get it over with.