Author Topic: New Member  (Read 5578 times)

Offline Jlud007

• Quitter
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: New Member
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2013, 02:54:00 PM »
Quote from: JayDubya
I truly appreciate all of your replies! I will return to the favor to another person/new member when/as I can.

I will be going back home to my parents' house this weekend. My dad dips but he and I won't hang around that much. Almost none of my friends dip or smoke. I won't be around my dipping friend this weekend at all.

For me, getting through this week with all the other mountainous stressful events going on, loneliness, boredom, etc....I feel like this weekend and being around my friends and other people will help the cravings pass more gently. There are some undercurrents that I have not aired out here in my post...when I say a mountain of stress...that's exactly what I mean. I don't wish to go into details on such a public forum but I'll be glad to get away for a few days and get back home. Whew.

This does not involve me, but let's just say that I had an eye-opening experience that taught me "Addiction is just that--addiction; and, it doesn't matter what substance we choose to fill that need because it is still addiction." I began questioning how am I different that someone addicted to ___________(fill in the blank). My drug of choice is nicotine, while someone else's may be blah. Being an addict how am I any different than an addict for whatever their drug of choice is. That pissed me off to no end. Although, I wont get in a legal trouble for nicotine, my body functions the same as someone that is addicted to an illegal/unlawful substance, or a substance they lawfully obtain but unlawfully use.
Weekends can be rough at first, be sure to get as many numbers into your phone as possible. Stay close to the site and read, read, read other peoples intro threads and hall of fame speeches.

Offline JayDubya

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2013-09-11
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2013, 02:39:00 PM »
I truly appreciate all of your replies! I will return to the favor to another person/new member when/as I can.

I will be going back home to my parents' house this weekend. My dad dips but he and I won't hang around that much. Almost none of my friends dip or smoke. I won't be around my dipping friend this weekend at all.

For me, getting through this week with all the other mountainous stressful events going on, loneliness, boredom, etc....I feel like this weekend and being around my friends and other people will help the cravings pass more gently. There are some undercurrents that I have not aired out here in my post...when I say a mountain of stress...that's exactly what I mean. I don't wish to go into details on such a public forum but I'll be glad to get away for a few days and get back home. Whew.

This does not involve me, but let's just say that I had an eye-opening experience that taught me "Addiction is just that--addiction; and, it doesn't matter what substance we choose to fill that need because it is still addiction." I began questioning how am I different that someone addicted to ___________(fill in the blank). My drug of choice is nicotine, while someone else's may be blah. Being an addict how am I any different than an addict for whatever their drug of choice is. That pissed me off to no end. Although, I wont get in a legal trouble for nicotine, my body functions the same as someone that is addicted to an illegal/unlawful substance, or a substance they lawfully obtain but unlawfully use.

Offline enslavedbyskoal19yrs

• Quitter
    • www.killthecan.org
  • Interests: Kill'n The Can every day all day!
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2013, 02:19:00 PM »
Jay,

Welcome and I'm glad you are here to save your life. Just like you I have been a dipper for many years. The gas is normal...my wife wanted to use my scott air pack my first week. 'arse'

We are all here to help and quit together!!! you will get numbers...use them..trust me it helps...

you are going into your first weekend quit - stock up on supliments...gum, candy, fake chew, seeds....find what works for you. The Smokey Mountain chew worked best my first couple weeks. Not using it alot now though. My first week started out pretty easy then the nic bitch hit me hard around day 3-4 and hung out for a solid week. The days are getting better, though I had a very realistic dream about dipping last night. I woke up PISSED!!!! I will send a PM with my contact info...

'oh yeah'
Quit Date: 08/25/13
HOF Date: 12/02/13

HOF SPEECH

Intro

"The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step."
"When the time to perform arrives, the time to prepare has passed!"

Offline Derk40

• Quit Pro
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2013, 02:14:00 PM »
Quote from: Pinched
Thanks, guys/gals!  I will use the numbers until I can get a feel for the roll call.  I haven't used any of the nicotine gum.

I'm not trying to be funny or crass, but I don't ever remember having this much gas before when I stopped using nicotine.  This is like something out of a freaking ghost story!! lol  Plus I've been unusually craving V8 juice.  I've always liked it, but started craving it the morning I quit.  I've been through 152 ounces/4.75 quarts of V8 in the last 24 hours or less.

While these physical withdrawal symptoms are running their course, I'm really thinking and planning on the future psychological withdrawals, as that's been my Achilles heel in the past, whether it was anger, hurt, disappointment, etc.  I'm trying to figure out how to be a healthier "me" on the inside, so I can abstain from nicotine now and in the future.
If you get angry and want to scream at someone during your quit, you have my number. I will be more than happy to oblige.
JW... you almost had the ROLL post... at least you were on the right page. I fixed it for you. Check out my post on that page now and see where your names is. You will get it. Keep trying. I will fix it again tomorrow if need be... I just want you staying quit today.

Forget about FUTURE withdrawal symptons or overthinking the "healthy you" right now. Bro, your only concern needs to be TODAY and staying quit today. Keep downing the V8 and do whatever it is you need to do to keep that poison out of your mouth. That needs to be your only priority. Too much thinking will stress you out. Focus on today, relax and stay quit. You are doing it and you can do this. Keep fighting bro! QLF!!!
Quit date: 6/23/2013
HOF Date: 9/30/2013

HOF Speech

Offline SirDerek

• Quit Pro
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2013, 02:09:00 PM »
Quote from: Pinched
Thanks, guys/gals!  I will use the numbers until I can get a feel for the roll call.  I haven't used any of the nicotine gum.

I'm not trying to be funny or crass, but I don't ever remember having this much gas before when I stopped using nicotine.  This is like something out of a freaking ghost story!! lol  Plus I've been unusually craving V8 juice.  I've always liked it, but started craving it the morning I quit.  I've been through 152 ounces/4.75 quarts of V8 in the last 24 hours or less.

While these physical withdrawal symptoms are running their course, I'm really thinking and planning on the future psychological withdrawals, as that's been my Achilles heel in the past, whether it was anger, hurt, disappointment, etc.  I'm trying to figure out how to be a healthier "me" on the inside, so I can abstain from nicotine now and in the future.
If you get angry and want to scream at someone during your quit, you have my number. I will be more than happy to oblige.
As Pinched says, that is what we are all here for. When you get any of those feelings of anger or what-not, you get on the site here and type it out in your intro, throw it into the monthly thread or hop into the live chat and let it all hang out. We have all been there and used others as the same and now we are here to do that same for you.

Just yell when ever you need. And as you progress you will find the bond we all form here can extend far beyond to help keep you quit.

You can do this, it is not easy but with everyone here, it makes it as close to easy as possible.

Offline Pinched

• Quit King
  • Interests: Baseball, Hunting, Trucks, Diesels, Scouting,
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2013, 02:02:00 PM »
Thanks, guys/gals! I will use the numbers until I can get a feel for the roll call. I haven't used any of the nicotine gum.

I'm not trying to be funny or crass, but I don't ever remember having this much gas before when I stopped using nicotine. This is like something out of a freaking ghost story!! lol Plus I've been unusually craving V8 juice. I've always liked it, but started craving it the morning I quit. I've been through 152 ounces/4.75 quarts of V8 in the last 24 hours or less.

While these physical withdrawal symptoms are running their course, I'm really thinking and planning on the future psychological withdrawals, as that's been my Achilles heel in the past, whether it was anger, hurt, disappointment, etc. I'm trying to figure out how to be a healthier "me" on the inside, so I can abstain from nicotine now and in the future.
"If you want to quit then stop talking and just QUIT. If you want to kill yourself a bullet is cheaper and faster than a tin, plus it eliminates my hearing you whine and cry like a bitch."

Best thing I have read on KTC...Submitted by tgafish on 7/3/14

Former Skoal Straight and Cope Longcut user that started at the age of 12. QUIT on 7/15/13

Offline JayDubya

• Quitter
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2013, 01:54:00 PM »
Thanks, guys/gals! I will use the numbers until I can get a feel for the roll call. I haven't used any of the nicotine gum.

I'm not trying to be funny or crass, but I don't ever remember having this much gas before when I stopped using nicotine. This is like something out of a freaking ghost story!! lol Plus I've been unusually craving V8 juice. I've always liked it, but started craving it the morning I quit. I've been through 152 ounces/4.75 quarts of V8 in the last 24 hours or less.

While these physical withdrawal symptoms are running their course, I'm really thinking and planning on the future psychological withdrawals, as that's been my Achilles heel in the past, whether it was anger, hurt, disappointment, etc. I'm trying to figure out how to be a healthier "me" on the inside, so I can abstain from nicotine now and in the future.

Offline Gdubya

• Master of Quit
  • Quit Date: August 23, 2013
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2013, 01:49:00 PM »
Jay

Welcome. You have come to the right place my friend. Dude I've been dipping since elementary school. Was raised by smoking parents. Back in the day when people used to repaint the inside of their homes every 5 years to cover up the smoke tar stains. I've never quit. And never stopped. Man, with the support and poet of this site, I am 20 days quit today !!!!!!

You have to want it first. Then read all you can here. By reading, you will be gathering up all the tools you need. Some tools you won't know how to use. But if you reach out and take the support you are offered here, you will be able to learn to use all those new tools and you will succeed.

First, rid yourself, your home, your work, your truck/car, your gym bag, everything, of the nicotine. Leave not one remnant of nicotine. I know man. That's the first step. And it's scary as hell. But taking that first step sometimes is the biggest part of this fight. Man. I stand here today at 20 days, and I tell ya, you can do it. Come on and walk this out with us. Go post roll and join us. Bruit for today. Just worry about today. Then tomorrow......quit again with us.

I'm pm ing you my contact info. Get all the contacts you can. Lets roll buddy.

Gdubya

Offline Pinched

• Quit King
  • Interests: Baseball, Hunting, Trucks, Diesels, Scouting,
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2013, 01:36:00 PM »
Jay,
My friend as an addict myself I welcome you here. Let me first straighten out that you never quit, you stopped before only. If you have stopped before you should know the first few days SUCK, then it gets better. You will get cravings, may affect your dreams and cause other visions to occur.

You sound like you need to quit and can. Now get rid of the Nic gum as we are a 100% nic free group.

I am here to help you and will be sending you a personal message on her with my phone number and other information in it. Use it all.

I am a quitter and will continue to do so until I can officially not be addicted. In other words I am not going anywhere in the near future.

Now drink lots of water, chew gum (unleaded gum), get Lifesaver mints, use fake dip if necessary, stretch out your mojo and be a bad ass quitter. I am right here with you brother.

Pinched
"If you want to quit then stop talking and just QUIT. If you want to kill yourself a bullet is cheaper and faster than a tin, plus it eliminates my hearing you whine and cry like a bitch."

Best thing I have read on KTC...Submitted by tgafish on 7/3/14

Former Skoal Straight and Cope Longcut user that started at the age of 12. QUIT on 7/15/13

Offline Jlud007

• Quitter
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2013, 01:33:00 PM »
Hello Jay,

Welcome to the site, check out the welcome center link above the forums. There is tons of great info on what to expect early on in your quit.

Then you need to get rid of the words, try and hope, stick around and you'll truly learn the beauty of what it is to be truly "quit".

I can walk through your first roll post if you need to, hit me up, I'll send you my phone digits via private message, check your inbox.

The most important thing we do here is post roll call and keep our word, one day at a time.

Proud to quit with you today!

P.S. I missed the nic gum on the first read (Thanks Pinched!) Throw that junk away ASAP.

Offline JayDubya

• Quitter
« on: September 13, 2013, 01:26:00 PM »
Hello, everyone. I have been addicted to nicotine since I was around 16-17 years old. I started out smoking, then dipped also, but in my recent history had too much asthma problems and completely got repulsed by cigarette smoke. So, I fell back on dipping even more so than I already did in my prior years.

I had gotten to the point where I kept a dip in my mouth. Even though I rotated where I put the dip, I still put a really big dip in my mouth and kept it there for at least an hour or more at a time. My teeth are yellow, and I have places that are sensitive to cold, but it's on the top teeth and inside, not the part the cheek covers.

I became nicotine free on September 11, 2013. I have had nicotine gum in my pocket, and I have been tempted to use it when the cravings were strong, I forced myself not to use it. I wanted to try this cold turkey/smart turkey approach.

I have quit before only to start back and some point after. I've tried nicotine gum...that won't work as a quit mechanism for me...it WILL work to appease me for the time, but that's it. I can chew 3-4 pieces of 4 mg nicotine gum without feeling the slightest bit nausea, blowing bubbles, etc. That's why I feel like I have to do this cold turkey/smart turkey to get any results. If I do relapse, I'm going to fall back on the gum and not the dip, but I'm planning against relapsing every day. Hopefully in the next couple weeks, the state funded nicotine cessation program will open up, and I can at least go to the counseling, group sessions, etc.

I am glad to have found this website. I don't understand the roll call thing, how it works, or how to post in it. Heck, I didn't even find a group with my 100 day mark, but that's not surprising--I'm not that great with computers and doing stuff like that.

I look forward to talking with anyone and being held and/or holding another accountable.

J