Author Topic: The power of not feeling alone  (Read 5123 times)

Offline Tazbutane

• Quitting MoFo
  • Quit Date: 11/22/12
  • Likes Given: 39
Re: The power of not feeling alone
« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2012, 08:20:00 AM »
Quote from: Roamcountry
Quote from: grovermuldoon
Quote from: wastepanel
Quote from: Skoal
Quote from: loot
Quote from: aaronep
Day 7 at 3PM, another few hours and week 1 is in the books.  I have reached out to my KTC brothers over the past day or so for different reasons.

1.  A quick call, just wanted to make an introduction, testing the waters.
2.  A quick call, I was on tilt and needed to vent.
3.  A quick PM, someone else who knows what I am going through.

The first 2 calls were to people who sent me phone numbers early on and the last call was something I initiated via PM on the forum.

These were not easy calls for me.  The thoughts going through my head were not good ones - I am a weak pussy, I am going to be telling someone that I have been dipping for over 20 years, and I am desperate and need help right now.  I made the calls anyway.  Staying quit is more important than being embarrassed or ashamed, that was the worst case scenario in my mind.  I didn't want to burden anyone else with my problems.  I swallowed some pride and grabbed the phone.

The conversations with my brothers helped me.  It wasn't the difference between quit and not quit, but it makes the quit better knowing you are not alone.  There is tremendous residual value for those quick calls that last well past hanging up.  It is further validation that others have the same struggles I am facing and are getting through it.  Proof that it can be done.

I am not much of a guide for quit, 7 days of experience is pretty limited, but I recommend that the new folks grab some phone numbers and use them.  You may have to make a few calls to get someone live, but it is worth it.  If you read someone's introduction that makes you laugh or resembles your situation, send a PM with your number - we joined KTC so we wouldn't have to go at it alone. 

Smooth sailing for the rest of today and I will be staring tomorrow with a full week of quit in the can.
Words of Wisdom if there ever were any.

Good on you bro.
+1 nice job, congrats on the week
I agree.

These words you have are also a great way to reach out. You have attracted some big hitters on this site now. We will be watching and we will have your back.

Very proud of you man.
Yo Aaron. As one of th guys you reached out to, I say thanks brother. Good to chat to a fellow ninja dip fiend. You set a good example. I reached out to others who have helped me in the past two weeks and it felt great. Keep quitting - we'll make HOF within a week of each other. Thanks again. Talk soon.
I like this guy, nice week bro!
Nice week aaron, keep it going!
March 2013 - Mad Men of Quit        
Quit date: 11/22/12          
Sobriety Date: 4/10/2006         
HOF Date 03/02/2013         
Semper Fidelis

Offline Roamcountry

• Quit Pro
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2012, 05:18:00 AM »
Quote from: grovermuldoon
Day 7 at 3PM, another few hours and week 1 is in the books.  I have reached out to my KTC brothers over the past day or so for different reasons.

The first 2 calls were to people who sent me phone numbers early on and the last call was something I initiated via PM on the forum.

These were not easy calls for me.  The thoughts going through my head were not good ones - I am a weak pussy, I am going to be telling someone that I have been dipping for over 20 years, and I am desperate and need help right now.  I made the calls anyway.  Staying quit is more important than being embarrassed or ashamed, that was the worst case scenario in my mind.  I didn't want to burden anyone else with my problems.  I swallowed some pride and grabbed the phone.

The conversations with my brothers helped me.  It wasn't the difference between quit and not quit, but it makes the quit better knowing you are not alone.  There is tremendous residual value for those quick calls that last well past hanging up.  It is further validation that others have the same struggles I am facing and are getting through it.  Proof that it can be done.

I am not much of a guide for quit, 7 days of experience is pretty limited, but I recommend that the new folks grab some phone numbers and use them.  You may have to make a few calls to get someone live, but it is worth it.  If you read someone's introduction that makes you laugh or resembles your situation, send a PM with your number - we joined KTC so we wouldn't have to go at it alone. 

Smooth sailing for the rest of today and I will be staring tomorrow with a full week of quit in the can.

Good on you bro.
I agree.

These words you have are also a great way to reach out. You have attracted some big hitters on this site now. We will be watching and we will have your back.

Very proud of you man.
Yo Aaron. As one of th guys you reached out to, I say thanks brother. Good to chat to a fellow ninja dip fiend. You set a good example. I reached out to others who have helped me in the past two weeks and it felt great. Keep quitting - we'll make HOF within a week of each other. Thanks again. Talk soon.
I like this guy, nice week bro!

Offline grovermuldoon

• Quitter
« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2012, 11:10:00 PM »

Good on you bro.
I agree.

Very proud of you man.

Offline wastepanel

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Fuck you guys.
    • Scaretissue.com
  • Likes Given: 21
« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2012, 06:24:00 PM »

Good on you bro.
I agree.

Very proud of you man.
In the end I Surrender, I and I alone accept that I have and always will have a Nicotene ADDICTION. It is my choice to quit, but I can't do it alone. I get to go down this path one time, I want to do it right. I recognize that my word, my integrety to you is on the line and is only as good as my actions. Caving is not an option in this plan-Eafman 7/11

I am not cured. I will quit one day at a time. I will continue to do what works. Posting roll everyday. To do otherwise would be foolish on my part. You can do this-Ready 12/11

To overcome your addiction you must comprehend what it means to fail-Razd 3/12

Theres a lot of people that come here, especially vets, that WANT to be reminded that they are addicts.-Tarpon 6/12

Just as a building starts with architectural drawings. Your daily quit begins with a promise.-Scowick 2/13

Here and now, focused on today, minute by minute, whatever it takes, I promise to all my bros and myself not to become a negative stat and stay quit!-krok 1/15

I want everyone to be quit. Even the assholes.-Probe1957 1/18

Ignoring history or erasing history fixes nothing and leads you inevitably down the same path.-69franx 04/30/2021

Offline Skoal Monster

• Quit Pro
« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2012, 05:50:00 PM »

Good on you bro.
"CLOSE THE DOOR. In my opinion, it?s the single most important step in your final quit. There is one moment, THE moment, when you finally let go and surrender to the quit. After that moment, no temptation will be great enough, no lie persuasive enough to make you commit suicide by using tobacco."

Offline loot

• BANNED
  • Master of Quit
« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2012, 05:34:00 PM »
Day 7 at 3PM, another few hours and week 1 is in the books. I have reached out to my KTC brothers over the past day or so for different reasons.

1. A quick call, just wanted to make an introduction, testing the waters.
2. A quick call, I was on tilt and needed to vent.
3. A quick PM, someone else who knows what I am going through.

These were not easy calls for me. The thoughts going through my head were not good ones - I am a weak pussy, I am going to be telling someone that I have been dipping for over 20 years, and I am desperate and need help right now. I made the calls anyway. Staying quit is more important than being embarrassed or ashamed, that was the worst case scenario in my mind. I didn't want to burden anyone else with my problems. I swallowed some pride and grabbed the phone.

The conversations with my brothers helped me. It wasn't the difference between quit and not quit, but it makes the quit better knowing you are not alone. There is tremendous residual value for those quick calls that last well past hanging up. It is further validation that others have the same struggles I am facing and are getting through it. Proof that it can be done.

I am not much of a guide for quit, 7 days of experience is pretty limited, but I recommend that the new folks grab some phone numbers and use them. You may have to make a few calls to get someone live, but it is worth it. If you read someone's introduction that makes you laugh or resembles your situation, send a PM with your number - we joined KTC so we wouldn't have to go at it alone.

Good on you bro.

Offline aaronep

• Quitter
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2012, 03:21:00 PM »
Day 7 at 3PM, another few hours and week 1 is in the books. I have reached out to my KTC brothers over the past day or so for different reasons.

1. A quick call, just wanted to make an introduction, testing the waters.
2. A quick call, I was on tilt and needed to vent.
3. A quick PM, someone else who knows what I am going through.

These were not easy calls for me. The thoughts going through my head were not good ones - I am a weak pussy, I am going to be telling someone that I have been dipping for over 20 years, and I am desperate and need help right now. I made the calls anyway. Staying quit is more important than being embarrassed or ashamed, that was the worst case scenario in my mind. I didn't want to burden anyone else with my problems. I swallowed some pride and grabbed the phone.

The conversations with my brothers helped me. It wasn't the difference between quit and not quit, but it makes the quit better knowing you are not alone. There is tremendous residual value for those quick calls that last well past hanging up. It is further validation that others have the same struggles I am facing and are getting through it. Proof that it can be done.

I am not much of a guide for quit, 7 days of experience is pretty limited, but I recommend that the new folks grab some phone numbers and use them. You may have to make a few calls to get someone live, but it is worth it. If you read someone's introduction that makes you laugh or resembles your situation, send a PM with your number - we joined KTC so we wouldn't have to go at it alone.

Offline jhaenel23

• Quitter
  • Interests: Kicking the Nic Bitch's Ass every day!!Staying in the QUIT, And helping all of my KTC Brothers to do the same!!
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2012, 01:21:00 PM »
Quote from: tazbutane
Quote from: kana
Quote from: DanNoCan
Day 6 is going to end in a few hours and I have learned a few lessons:

*  'Dip Rage' is real and my fuse is short.  I have to keep an eye on that one.

*  My quit is strong and was not close to being compromised.  I knew how to get to a safe place.

*  My KTC brothers have my back, I lit the flare and the Calvary came.

Tomorrow makes 7 days and that means I got through another day where I am not flossing out dip from my teeth with an old dollar bill in front of my rear-view mirror before pulling in the driveway.  Not dipping is going to beat dipping every time!
awesome brother! one week is huge...
nice week bro. using the support is what it's all about. the rages can be subdued by exercise, and getting on here and yelling at someone. the elders told me to take it out on them, but usually the exercise did the trick. I only signaled a flair once, but it saved my ass. keep it up, quit with you..
Congratulations on a week aaron, stay strong and keep posting, your insights are great to read. We have each others backs, it is a good feeling to know that!
Awesome job on making a week!! Just one milestone on the way to many! I am Quit with you Everyday!!
Stay in the Q.U.I.T*********Fuck the NIC!!" Jhaenel23
"Freedom is like your Soul going Commando!" Scowick
"Losers always whine about their best, Winners go home and fuck the prom queen!!" John Mason
"If its too much trouble to post roll, You can always Fuck Off!!" J2B
HOF Speech
Sounds Of Madness
QUIT 10-22-12
HOF 1-29-13
Post with Da Jackwagins!!

Offline Tazbutane

• Quitting MoFo
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2012, 10:29:00 AM »

*  My quit is strong and was not close to being compromised.  I knew how to get to a safe place.

Tomorrow makes 7 days and that means I got through another day where I am not flossing out dip from my teeth with an old dollar bill in front of my rear-view mirror before pulling in the driveway.  Not dipping is going to beat dipping every time!
nice week bro. using the support is what it's all about. the rages can be subdued by exercise, and getting on here and yelling at someone. the elders told me to take it out on them, but usually the exercise did the trick. I only signaled a flair once, but it saved my ass. keep it up, quit with you..
Congratulations on a week aaron, stay strong and keep posting, your insights are great to read. We have each others backs, it is a good feeling to know that!
HOF Date 03/02/2013         
Semper Fidelis

Offline kana

• Quitter
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2012, 09:16:00 AM »

we choose our battles.. the battles we do fight, be aware that they have to be, but passion rules? James Hetfield

Offline DanNoCan

• Quitter
  • Interests: Day Dreaming, questioning my relationship w/ God, and trying to GROW....
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2012, 09:28:00 PM »

* 'Dip Rage' is real and my fuse is short. I have to keep an eye on that one.

* My quit is strong and was not close to being compromised. I knew how to get to a safe place.

* My KTC brothers have my back, I lit the flare and the Calvary came.

Tomorrow makes 7 days and that means I got through another day where I am not flossing out dip from my teeth with an old dollar bill in front of my rear-view mirror before pulling in the driveway. Not dipping is going to beat dipping every time!
Quit Date: 9-11-2012

HOF Speech: She Dies Everyday...
You don't need dip, look within instead
You down with DNC?

Offline aaronep

• Quitter
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2012, 09:19:00 PM »

* 'Dip Rage' is real and my fuse is short. I have to keep an eye on that one.

* My quit is strong and was not close to being compromised. I knew how to get to a safe place.

* My KTC brothers have my back, I lit the flare and the Calvary came.

Tomorrow makes 7 days and that means I got through another day where I am not flossing out dip from my teeth with an old dollar bill in front of my rear-view mirror before pulling in the driveway. Not dipping is going to beat dipping every time!

Offline jhaenel23

• Quitter
  • Interests: Kicking the Nic Bitch's Ass every day!!Staying in the QUIT, And helping all of my KTC Brothers to do the same!!
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2012, 10:22:00 AM »
Quote from: TSNUS
Quote from: 30yrAddict
Ending day 5 late, big day for reflection.  Took a few steps back to the real world today (thanks for the push Diesel, it was the right time).  Met a friend for coffee, did some shopping, and started back at work.

Triggers are everywhere and I see them coming.  As an example, I know before I take my last bite of every meal, I am going to be challenged.  Every time that I pass the shops where I used to buy dip, I know a challenge will come.  When I sit at my desk for work, I am used to a dip and now I have to tell my mind that I will not be having a dip, I am quit.  That bitch is going to keep asking...she is never going to learn. 

KTC has prepared me well.  My mind will likely never be trained to stop asking if I would like a dip.  I am OK with that.  I am quit, nothing is going to change that answer.  My core belief, based on the teachings at KTC, is that not dipping is better than dipping.  I have found a million reasons why that is true (the value of reading all the introductions and HOF speeches!) and have picked the ones that matter to me.

Just like there will be a "x" opportunities for my mind to ask me if I want a dip, I am finding that there is "more than x" reasons why not dipping is better than dipping.

I didn't have to clean tobacco out of my fingernails today.  That is something which worried me all day, every day for the past 2 decades.  In addition to checking for wallet, keys, and dip (that phrase is repeated in so many introductions), I would (because I have always been in hiding) have to plan for my fingernails, breath, spit cup hiding space, and the list goes on and on.  Managing those lies was destroying my life over and over again.

I talked about "being a user" to someone over the phone (KTC member)tonight.  That was the first time I ever spoke those words.  I am very proud of what I accomplished today and I look forward to tomorrow where I know that I will wake up, post my commitment, and live my life without dipping for another day.

It finally hit me today, my quit number is MY number.  I have never done 5 days straight without dipping.  I actually broke a record (yes, the record was 4 days, set by me, set yesterday)!  I am not going to catch Diesel and rest of the guys that I look up to in terms of days quit, that is not an apples to apples comparison.

Here is the power of KTC...Bean (who has 700+ days clean) posts within my introduction "5 days is huge! Congrats, brother".  I may never meet Bean in person but he (or she) helped me today with that simple post.  It didn't help right away but as I read my introduction throughout the course of today, it put my quit into the proper perspective.  I know what I am doing is hard,  the bitch keeps asking me the same question and I have to keep saying NO.  For me, it is not the acknowledgement by Bean specifically about the 5th day, it was a reminder to me that all days are going to be filled with challenges and getting past them is what I am now trained to do.  It could be the 50th, 500th, or 5000th day, I am going to be proud of myself when I make it through.

I have a skill (albeit a work in progress) that allows me to say no to dip one day at a time.  I am going to use that skill more than any other skill tomorrow.  When I make it though another day of quit, I am going to be happy because I used my skill and was successful doing it.  I am looking forward to it.  That is how I translate (in the words of (now immortal in my eyes) Bean), "embrace the suck".

Thank you KTC,
Aaron (Atlanta, GA)
Awesome post, Brother! 5 days is indeed huge! It gets so much better, my friend. There is a time in the near future that you will think about dip less and less. The triggers will fade, the craves will get less frequent and less intense. Freedom is around the corner.

Proud to be quit with you,

Dale
Wow looking back on day 5 I was fighting for my life. Literally raging and in pain struggling through every minute at times with triggers and craves. I just want to say that if you keep after it it does get better. Fight all you can to keep that door closed and take all the help you need. You are not the only quitter struggling today, sometimes helping someone else along distracts you a minute and helps you both, along with anyone else reading who might feel the same way. Never underestimate the power of encouragement.
You have skill for writing aaronep. Keep it up. For yourself and the rest of us! Another great read. thanks for sharing.
yes the triggers will fade, the sun will rise, and then you'll see dumb people doing dumb things. take a deep breath and thank god that you made a powerful decision to take your life back. in the beginning it's a struggle, but as all these fine gents say it get's better, alot better. quit with you
Awesome post! I knew I was moving in the right direction the first time I was around a person who was chewing and I could smell it from 10ft away and it made me sick. I immediately knew how much of a fool I was for thinking that I was "sneaking" one. What a joke. Non-Chewer can smell a chewer from across the room. I never noticed it because I usually had one in myself. I am proud to be quit with you!! Justin
Stay in the Q.U.I.T*********Fuck the NIC!!" Jhaenel23
"Freedom is like your Soul going Commando!" Scowick
"Losers always whine about their best, Winners go home and fuck the prom queen!!" John Mason
"If its too much trouble to post roll, You can always Fuck Off!!" J2B
HOF Speech
Sounds Of Madness
QUIT 10-22-12
HOF 1-29-13
Post with Da Jackwagins!!

Offline kana

• Quitter
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2012, 08:57:00 AM »
Ending day 5 late, big day for reflection.  Took a few steps back to the real world today (thanks for the push Diesel, it was the right time).  Met a friend for coffee, did some shopping, and started back at work.

Triggers are everywhere and I see them coming.  As an example, I know before I take my last bite of every meal, I am going to be challenged.  Every time that I pass the shops where I used to buy dip, I know a challenge will come.  When I sit at my desk for work, I am used to a dip and now I have to tell my mind that I will not be having a dip, I am quit.  That bitch is going to keep asking...she is never going to learn. 

KTC has prepared me well.  My mind will likely never be trained to stop asking if I would like a dip.  I am OK with that.  I am quit, nothing is going to change that answer.  My core belief, based on the teachings at KTC, is that not dipping is better than dipping.  I have found a million reasons why that is true (the value of reading all the introductions and HOF speeches!) and have picked the ones that matter to me.

Just like there will be a "x" opportunities for my mind to ask me if I want a dip, I am finding that there is "more than x" reasons why not dipping is better than dipping.

I didn't have to clean tobacco out of my fingernails today.  That is something which worried me all day, every day for the past 2 decades.  In addition to checking for wallet, keys, and dip (that phrase is repeated in so many introductions), I would (because I have always been in hiding) have to plan for my fingernails, breath, spit cup hiding space, and the list goes on and on.  Managing those lies was destroying my life over and over again.

I talked about "being a user" to someone over the phone (KTC member)tonight.  That was the first time I ever spoke those words.  I am very proud of what I accomplished today and I look forward to tomorrow where I know that I will wake up, post my commitment, and live my life without dipping for another day.

It finally hit me today, my quit number is MY number.  I have never done 5 days straight without dipping.  I actually broke a record (yes, the record was 4 days, set by me, set yesterday)!  I am not going to catch Diesel and rest of the guys that I look up to in terms of days quit, that is not an apples to apples comparison.

Here is the power of KTC...Bean (who has 700+ days clean) posts within my introduction "5 days is huge! Congrats, brother".  I may never meet Bean in person but he (or she) helped me today with that simple post.  It didn't help right away but as I read my introduction throughout the course of today, it put my quit into the proper perspective.  I know what I am doing is hard,  the bitch keeps asking me the same question and I have to keep saying NO.  For me, it is not the acknowledgement by Bean specifically about the 5th day, it was a reminder to me that all days are going to be filled with challenges and getting past them is what I am now trained to do.  It could be the 50th, 500th, or 5000th day, I am going to be proud of myself when I make it through.

I have a skill (albeit a work in progress) that allows me to say no to dip one day at a time.  I am going to use that skill more than any other skill tomorrow.  When I make it though another day of quit, I am going to be happy because I used my skill and was successful doing it.  I am looking forward to it.  That is how I translate (in the words of (now immortal in my eyes) Bean), "embrace the suck".

Thank you KTC,
Aaron (Atlanta, GA)
Awesome post, Brother! 5 days is indeed huge! It gets so much better, my friend. There is a time in the near future that you will think about dip less and less. The triggers will fade, the craves will get less frequent and less intense. Freedom is around the corner.

Dale
Wow looking back on day 5 I was fighting for my life. Literally raging and in pain struggling through every minute at times with triggers and craves. I just want to say that if you keep after it it does get better. Fight all you can to keep that door closed and take all the help you need. You are not the only quitter struggling today, sometimes helping someone else along distracts you a minute and helps you both, along with anyone else reading who might feel the same way. Never underestimate the power of encouragement.
You have skill for writing aaronep. Keep it up. For yourself and the rest of us! Another great read. thanks for sharing.
yes the triggers will fade, the sun will rise, and then you'll see dumb people doing dumb things. take a deep breath and thank god that you made a powerful decision to take your life back. in the beginning it's a struggle, but as all these fine gents say it get's better, alot better. quit with you
we choose our battles.. the battles we do fight, be aware that they have to be, but passion rules? James Hetfield

Offline Tazbutane

• Quitting MoFo
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2012, 08:24:00 AM »

Thank you KTC,
Aaron (Atlanta, GA)

Dale
HOF Date 03/02/2013         
Semper Fidelis