Author Topic: The power of not feeling alone  (Read 5124 times)

Offline fwhammer

• Quitter
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: The power of not feeling alone
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2012, 09:28:00 AM »
As mentioned in so many of the replies, your story is a mirror image of my story. 32 years enslaved, 209 days of freedom and counting. It gets a lot better!!

Offline Tazbutane

• Quitting MoFo
  • Quit Date: 11/22/12
  • Likes Given: 39
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2012, 07:02:00 PM »
Quote from: aaronep
I am at the end of day 2 of my Quit. While my head feels like it is going to erupt, I have never felt more proud.

I have been dipping for 23 years (Peach Wolf during the past few years, 2 cans/day) and it has destroyed me. I was completely ashamed of what my life had become, a march to death, alone.

While I am professionally successful, dipping destroyed everything else. And...I let it happen. In order to hide my sins, I opted to prioritize Dip ahead of:

My marriage: You can't lie to someone everyday for 10 years and expect everything to be OK. Late night alone time, etc. I honestly thought it was only me.

My friendships: It required so much planning to spend time with friends, I often didn't do it. Always having to drive my own car so I can immediately pop one in on the way home makes everything awkward.

My work: I always need to plan time away from the team to sneak one in. Fake trips to the bathroom, taking separate flights, etc. I have used every excuse in the book and I am ashamed.

The fear of doctors and dentists was on my mind all day, everyday. If you say the wrong thing to me, I would explode just so I could run off and grab a dip.

This is the hardest thing I have ever done but you guys got me through today and I am ready to face tomorrow. Reading stories from others - JUST LIKE ME - gave me the strength today. I needed to know that I was not alone.

Thank you.
Damn man, you write that well in the middle of the fog, you will have much to offer. Lots of good stuff in your post. We can all relate to parts of it.

Stay strong brother! We are all quit with you.
March 2013 - Mad Men of Quit        
Quit date: 11/22/12          
Sobriety Date: 4/10/2006         
HOF Date 03/02/2013         
Semper Fidelis

Offline loot

• BANNED
  • Master of Quit
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2012, 05:40:00 PM »
I am at 5PM of day 3 and thought I would post a reminder of where I am today and where I want to be moving forward.

I hate myself today, I know what I have missed out on. I know that I lived life as a liar. I hate wasted opportunities. I didn't give people the chance to know me. They were meeting someone who didn't exist. I didn't get a chance to know people. My loss. Not going to happen again.

I love myself today. I know today I did not dip. Not dipping is the most amazing feeling. When the cravings come on, KTC members have given me what I need to slap them aside. This is what I think about:

Kissing my girlfriend without having to plan my coverup. I have spent my entire adult life having to worry about kissing and making sure that I didn't get caught with stank mouth. I would make coffee at all hours of the day, eat peanut butter from the jar, etc. If I knew that I had 30 minutes of alone time, I would dip for 15 and have to plan the cover up for the other 15. I am going to kiss my girl whenever I want (and whenever she wants)!

Not being embarrassed when going to the dentist - or not going at all. (I told one dentist that I moved to Asia and they would be cleaning my teeth there for the next few years, that way, they would not call me to come in). I am going to get my teeth cleaned every month!

Smiling during pictures. 20+ years of pictures where I am not smiling. I continue to embarrass myself. I love to smile and laugh, I want everyone to see that. The camera is going to see the real me.

My friends are going to meet the real me for the first time. I can't wait to meet them.
My family is going to meet the real me for the first time. I can't wait to meet them.

I am now living in the real world. It is amazing. I know that 1 dip will undo everything I want...so I quit. I quit 2 days ago, yesterday, this morning, this afternoon, and I will quit again tonight. I will wake up and post my commitment for another day. I will check this post and my inbox and see messages from amazing supporters.

I hope that I will be able to support others as well. I am not there yet, but I will be.

For those who have sent me a PM, I thank you. I may not be ready to write back but your message is the help I need.

Thank you KTC. This is from the real me.
You are gonna be alright bro....

And you are sooooo not alone. There are lots of us. Once liars...cheats...and thieves for nicotine. No longer friend. No longer.

Welcome to the site friend.

Offline aaronep

• Quitter
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2012, 05:11:00 PM »
I am at 5PM of day 3 and thought I would post a reminder of where I am today and where I want to be moving forward.

I hate myself today, I know what I have missed out on. I know that I lived life as a liar. I hate wasted opportunities. I didn't give people the chance to know me. They were meeting someone who didn't exist. I didn't get a chance to know people. My loss. Not going to happen again.

I love myself today. I know today I did not dip. Not dipping is the most amazing feeling. When the cravings come on, KTC members have given me what I need to slap them aside. This is what I think about:

Kissing my girlfriend without having to plan my coverup. I have spent my entire adult life having to worry about kissing and making sure that I didn't get caught with stank mouth. I would make coffee at all hours of the day, eat peanut butter from the jar, etc. If I knew that I had 30 minutes of alone time, I would dip for 15 and have to plan the cover up for the other 15. I am going to kiss my girl whenever I want (and whenever she wants)!

Not being embarrassed when going to the dentist - or not going at all. (I told one dentist that I moved to Asia and they would be cleaning my teeth there for the next few years, that way, they would not call me to come in). I am going to get my teeth cleaned every month!

Smiling during pictures. 20+ years of pictures where I am not smiling. I continue to embarrass myself. I love to smile and laugh, I want everyone to see that. The camera is going to see the real me.

My friends are going to meet the real me for the first time. I can't wait to meet them.
My family is going to meet the real me for the first time. I can't wait to meet them.

I am now living in the real world. It is amazing. I know that 1 dip will undo everything I want...so I quit. I quit 2 days ago, yesterday, this morning, this afternoon, and I will quit again tonight. I will wake up and post my commitment for another day. I will check this post and my inbox and see messages from amazing supporters.

I hope that I will be able to support others as well. I am not there yet, but I will be.

For those who have sent me a PM, I thank you. I may not be ready to write back but your message is the help I need.

Thank you KTC. This is from the real me.

Offline cdaniels

• Quitter
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2012, 04:28:00 PM »
I think you have hit the nail on the head with a mirror image of my life as well. proud of you. I am 36 days in. it does get way better ever day quit is a better day alltogether. if you need an extra phone number just pm me i will be more than glad to talk or txt any time. Merry Christmas.
Quit date 11-20-12
Never again for any reason. I quit for today. Today I live.
http://forum.killthecan.org/index.php?showtopic=7796
http://www.killthecan.org/facts/contract.asp

Offline KC Bronco

• Quitter
  • Interests: Family time, Bass & Catfish fishing, golf, coaching baseball, drinking beer with friends and family, reading World War II books, Denver Broncos and Kansas Jayhawks
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2012, 01:11:00 PM »
Welcome!! I'm a newbie too. I'm on day 26 of being quit. I was a can a day for 25 years. No shame in your game here. We have all been through it. Merry Xmas and stay quit.
?People want to see the car crash instead of the race. But, when you're the one in the car that's crashing, it's not much fun. I'm enjoying the race.?
? Nikki Sixx, Motley Crue

Offline Wt57

• Quit Pro
  • Interests: Gardening, Dutch Oven , playing with grand kids
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2012, 01:12:00 AM »
I'm just going to add that it was my story for 40 years too! Pm me if you need anything. Today is possible, yesterday is past and we can deal with tomorrow when it is today!
4/1/2012: Nicotine Quit Date
7/9/12: HOF The Missing Warning Label
TODAY is the day that counts
"Do, or do not, there is no try." Yoda

Offline zam

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quit Pro
  • Quit is not a passive activity.
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2012, 12:21:00 AM »
Yea, it's amazing the kind of shit you did in order to get the nic fix, huh? And you did it without even thinking about it, you were so well trained. We know the feeling. The next couple of days will suck, but I'm excited for you because you will see a hundred other dumbass routines in your day that were designed solely to support the habit. The fact that you see that kind of stuff for what it is shows that you've taken off the blinders and are ready for freedom.

I'll quit with you today. Congrats.
*Quit today. Full stop. No qualifiers. Tomorrow?... IDK, IDC.

Offline grovermuldoon

• Quitter
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2012, 11:35:00 PM »
I am at the end of day 2 of my Quit. While my head feels like it is going to erupt, I have never felt more proud.

I have been dipping for 23 years (Peach Wolf during the past few years, 2 cans/day) and it has destroyed me. I was completely ashamed of what my life had become, a march to death, alone.

While I am professionally successful, dipping destroyed everything else. And...I let it happen. In order to hide my sins, I opted to prioritize Dip ahead of:

My marriage: You can't lie to someone everyday for 10 years and expect everything to be OK. Late night alone time, etc. I honestly thought it was only me.

My friendships: It required so much planning to spend time with friends, I often didn't do it. Always having to drive my own car so I can immediately pop one in on the way home makes everything awkward.

My work: I always need to plan time away from the team to sneak one in. Fake trips to the bathroom, taking separate flights, etc. I have used every excuse in the book and I am ashamed.

The fear of doctors and dentists was on my mind all day, everyday. If you say the wrong thing to me, I would explode just so I could run off and grab a dip.

This is the hardest thing I have ever done but you guys got me through today and I am ready to face tomorrow. Reading stories from others - JUST LIKE ME - gave me the strength today. I needed to know that I was not alone.

Thank you.
I'm only 11 short days ahead of you. The first 4/5 were tough. After that you're a professional quitter. We all lied about it. I'm no different. We are addicts. The quit rules!!

Offline waketech

• Quitter
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2012, 10:33:00 PM »

Thank you.
Best Christmas gift ever FREEDOM..Please PM me, or text if you need to chat. I will send you my #. You can do this, the Nic will be out of your system by New Years, and you will have a week under your belt. Stay strong man, you have this.!!!

Waketech Day 105

Offline 30yraddict

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Quit Feb 13, 2011
  • Likes Given: 67
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2012, 10:22:00 PM »

Thank you.
Reading what you posted is like reading about me... reading about us. You are not alone. You can do this. Today is all that matters. Taste freedom. You cannot imagine how good it is going to get.

Proud to be quit with you,

Dale

Offline aaronep

• Quitter
The power of not feeling alone
« on: December 24, 2012, 09:31:00 PM »

Thank you.