Author Topic: Manning Up  (Read 5592 times)

Offline mattyf118

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2013-09-06
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Manning Up
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2013, 09:37:00 PM »
Quote from: Pinched
Quote from: DerikR
EDIT: Finny, I grew up primarily a Mighty Ducks fan, but since Blues games are only a 30 minute drive away now I made the leap a couple years ago. I can handle you being a Blackhawks fan, but if you're a Cubs fan too we'll just avoid the topic of baseball for both our sakes  ;)
This is by far the funniest damned thing I have read all month. Well done Derik, well done!
After 100+ years of losing my Cubbies have you right where we want you! There's Always Next Year!
Quit Date: 09/06/13
HOF Date: 12/14/13

Caving is not an option

Offline Mthomas3824

• Epic Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2012-03-14
  • Interests: Living my life and never turning back to the can of lies.
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2013, 04:30:00 PM »
All nicotine has officially left my system! Damn, that feels good to say. The guy in front of me in class was ninja dipping today. I think I was the only one that noticed, but there's no sneaking the smell of Copenhagen wintergreen past an addict such as myself. That was a tough moment, so I put in some seeds and tried to breathe through my mouth as much as possible.
Oddly enough, the visual cues don't really bother me. I found an empty can in my backpack and threw it away without so much as a second thought. My daily trip to the gas station for seeds is still difficult, but it's getting better. I explained to my favorite attendant that I'm quitting, so she doesn't immediately grab whatever can is on special anymore.
Those of you that have reached out to me with your numbers may be getting a text tonight. My girlfriend and I are going downtown to see the sights and grab a couple drinks after. I'm going to stick to my usual routine of trying 3 or 4 new beers which shouldn't be enough to put me in danger, but the Nic bitch works in mysterious ways.

P.S. I'm sorta using this page as a journal to keep track of how each day goes, I hope y'all don't mind.

EDIT: Finny, I grew up primarily a Mighty Ducks fan, but since Blues games are only a 30 minute drive away now I made the leap a couple years ago. I can handle you being a Blackhawks fan, but if you're a Cubs fan too we'll just avoid the topic of baseball for both our sakes ;)
When you get to thirty days - Not until then - Youtube "snuss or chewing tobacco" promoters of the can of lies.

The addicts are the same...they have shrines built with cans. Thier eyes are glazed over and it is a moment where you will get a glimpse of how duped we were.

Seriously, these addicts worship it and promote it. UST doesn't even endorse them with free shit. They are getting raped and loving UST for it.

Since this is your journal. Seriously, sometime after your 30 day clean mark...go watch these videos on how to dip. I commented on a few to be told to fuck off.

The reality is that Nicotine and the can will seduce you sooo much. This addictions moves into worship.

Sad, Sad, Sad. Glad to be quit with you and I enjoy the pain of quit because I will never, never, ever bow down and worship that dirty can of lies today.
Quit And Be Free

HOF Speech

Offline Pinched

• Quit King
  • Interests: Baseball, Hunting, Trucks, Diesels, Scouting,
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2013, 04:25:00 PM »
EDIT: Finny, I grew up primarily a Mighty Ducks fan, but since Blues games are only a 30 minute drive away now I made the leap a couple years ago. I can handle you being a Blackhawks fan, but if you're a Cubs fan too we'll just avoid the topic of baseball for both our sakes ;)
This is by far the funniest damned thing I have read all month. Well done Derik, well done!
"If you want to quit then stop talking and just QUIT. If you want to kill yourself a bullet is cheaper and faster than a tin, plus it eliminates my hearing you whine and cry like a bitch."

Best thing I have read on KTC...Submitted by tgafish on 7/3/14

Former Skoal Straight and Cope Longcut user that started at the age of 12. QUIT on 7/15/13

Offline DerikR

• Quitter
  • Interests: Golf, Football, Baseball, Basketball, Hockey, Camping, Skiing, Craft Beer
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2013, 04:10:00 PM »
All nicotine has officially left my system! Damn, that feels good to say. The guy in front of me in class was ninja dipping today. I think I was the only one that noticed, but there's no sneaking the smell of Copenhagen wintergreen past an addict such as myself. That was a tough moment, so I put in some seeds and tried to breathe through my mouth as much as possible.
Oddly enough, the visual cues don't really bother me. I found an empty can in my backpack and threw it away without so much as a second thought. My daily trip to the gas station for seeds is still difficult, but it's getting better. I explained to my favorite attendant that I'm quitting, so she doesn't immediately grab whatever can is on special anymore.
Those of you that have reached out to me with your numbers may be getting a text tonight. My girlfriend and I are going downtown to see the sights and grab a couple drinks after. I'm going to stick to my usual routine of trying 3 or 4 new beers which shouldn't be enough to put me in danger, but the Nic bitch works in mysterious ways.

P.S. I'm sorta using this page as a journal to keep track of how each day goes, I hope y'all don't mind.

Offline Finny

• Quitter
  • Interests: Hockey, running, fantasy football, endurance training, psychology.
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2013, 05:00:00 PM »
Your making a life,time, stress and worry saving decision right now. Stay committed to this quit - you sound like you have a great attitude. I know you are in the midst of some tough times right now, but just remember you are just trying to quit for today.' Don't worry about tomorrow, or next month or the HOF right now - just get through today. I was exactly where you were at one point. Loving life, feeling invincible in college, dipping everyday. I told my self at 20 I could quit at anytime if I needed too. Well I was wrong - thousands of dollars and immeasurable worry later I Finally quit for my self. Great job getting out ahead of your addiction and quitting NOW.

We can work on you being a blues fan later.
Quit Date - 8/15/2013

Offline Pinched

• Quit King
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2013, 04:29:00 PM »
Quote from: jlud007
The dull headaches have gone to full-blown migraine today. So close to purging the last of the nicotine from my system. Going to tutor the baseball team later today, time to abolish my old "you can chew in study hall" rule.
Drink lots of water, that helped me a lot the first few days. Just keep pushing through man your doing a great job. Keep your word today and know that it will get better!

Proud to quit with you today.
Lots of water like Jlud stated, plus I recommend Excedrin Migrane. If it gets really bad call me and I will help you off the ledge.
"If you want to quit then stop talking and just QUIT. If you want to kill yourself a bullet is cheaper and faster than a tin, plus it eliminates my hearing you whine and cry like a bitch."

Former Skoal Straight and Cope Longcut user that started at the age of 12. QUIT on 7/15/13

Offline Jlud007

• Quitter
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2013, 04:05:00 PM »
The dull headaches have gone to full-blown migraine today. So close to purging the last of the nicotine from my system. Going to tutor the baseball team later today, time to abolish my old "you can chew in study hall" rule.
Drink lots of water, that helped me a lot the first few days. Just keep pushing through man your doing a great job. Keep your word today and know that it will get better!

Proud to quit with you today.

Offline DerikR

• Quitter
  • Interests: Golf, Football, Baseball, Basketball, Hockey, Camping, Skiing, Craft Beer
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2013, 02:33:00 PM »

Offline DerikR

• Quitter
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2013, 04:24:00 PM »
Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm going to cut weak words such as hope and try out of my vocabulary; I will quit tobacco for good. Day 2 is about as rough as I imagined it being. 4 hours of sleep last night, spent lectures sitting in the back zoned out, yelled at my roommate for no good reason. I did clean out all the empty cans and spitters in my room, which was cleansing in a way.

Pinched, that sounds great! I will shoot you a PM a bit farther into my quit when I'm comfortable with drinking alcohol again. Ihatecope, hell yeah! I'll see you on the other side of the fog brother. B)

Offline ihatecope

• Quitter
  • Interests: Family & Football
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2013, 10:37:00 AM »
Since I've been trying so hard to quit for the past year, I plan to treat myself at the end of 100 days with the money I would have spent on chew in that time. I haven't decided for sure yet but I think I want to either get rink side tickets to a Blues game for my girlfriend and myself or get my first tattoo. Thanks for taking the time to learn a little about me and I look forward to becoming close friends with all of you as we fight this bitch they call tobacco together!
Hey quit brother, you and I are in the same quit group. I’m just reaching out trying to strengthen my quit network. 100 days seams nice. Especially since each day is a win right now for you and me. I think 100 days is more of a starting line than a goal line where our status goes from newbie to toddler. The only tattoo I would get at 100 days is a sign right on my face saying, “Addicted To Nicotine! Please punch me in the mouth if you see me using it.” It's nice to be quitting with you. Let’s win today. I say fuck trying to quit, I’m quit! PM me anytime brother.
Quit: Saturday Oct 26, 2013 @ 2:00 PM
HOF: February 2, 2014

Offline Pinched

• Quit King
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2013, 09:27:00 AM »
Derik,
First of all welcome to the site. You have received some very sound advice from some veteran quitters. However, there is one thing that I would like to offer a little differently. That is that I too live in the St. Louis area, it may sound odd to meet someone from the internet that you know little about but having a solid quitter in your neighborhood can add a tremendous amount of credibility and accountability to your quit that just being on the internet cannot.

I am here at the ready anytime you would like to talk. I am still young in my quit at 115 days and will be for at least 24 years until I surpass my # of addiction days. I am an addict, but I am beating this one day at a time.

Let's grab a Schlafly or some Gus's pretzels and talk some time brother!

Pinched

Offline srans

• Quit Pro
  • Interests: Fishing and playing the guitar.
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2013, 07:22:00 AM »
"Hopefully I'll be able to defy the odds and kick the habit early".

Welcome to the site and great decision. Your statement above ^^^^ leaves the door open for failure. Hope for the right numbers for lotto. Post roll and don't put the poison in your pie hole every day. No hope/try,,,,,,,,, just quitting every day by keeping your word to us, your family and most importantly yourself.

Realize your addicted ( not a habit ) to one of the most addictive drugs known to man and you can never have just one.

Start reading everything you can on this site. Learning this enemy will help you more than you can imagine. Read everything you can on addiction and nicotine.

I have a friend that told me he quit recently. Told me he had a month under his belt. He advised me he only had 5 cigarettes during the month. A week later he told me he's back to smoking full time. He believed he could have one and start over, then believed it again and again. Don't believe the lies any longer.

One day at a time and you can have back a lot of what the poison has stolen. Never again for any reason and you can keep it. Need another number let me know.
Hof date may 25, 2013
HoF Speech

The poison sucks. I hate it. I hated it this morning, I hated it at noon, I hated it at supper and I hate it tonight. I enjoy hating it so much I'm going to wake up tomorrow and start over hating it. I quit with anyone that wants to hate it with me.

Offline DerikR

• Quitter
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2013, 11:20:00 PM »
Quote from: Mthomas3824
Not much more to add. I will be on I-70 in a week and it goes right past KC royals stadium. I fly to Nashville, (That place kicks ass) and driving my son back from school.

Long story short; the odds of someone your age, killing nicotine, is rare. I didn't quit until I was well into 43 years.

The sterotype of your age group is that you are so tough, you can go it alone. If someone my age gives you shit, instead of looking in the mirror, you need to prove that you are one bad ass son of a bitch.

If you want to beat the odds, you have to admit that this is an addiction more powerful than you. Post roll everyday...even before brushing teeth, this is the most important thing you can do when you wake...POST ROLL and keep your promise to be quit for the day.

If you will listen to the vets and do what you are told...You will be freed. If you are a cocky SOB and need to experience before you learn. You'll quit for good in 20 years.

Welcome but odd are against your quit. Please, Please, Please be a man and defy the odds!
If you're driving through KC I strongly suggest Oklahoma Joe's BBQ. In my opinion, one of the best BBQ joints in the nation (Memphis BBQ gives it a run for its money). I'm looking forward to having the vets here to hold me accountable and give tough love when necessary. The people in my life that support my quit have never been through a quit themselves, and the people that do chew have no intention of quitting. Hopefully I'll be able to defy the odds and kick the habit early :D

Offline DerikR

• Quitter
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2013, 11:02:00 PM »
Quote from: Wt57
Quote from: Smokeyg
Hell yes Derik! I love the idea of the rink side seats. You'll definitely have earned it at 100 days. I highly respect your decision to quit!

Now, about that drinking (as I write this with half finished beer next to me)...

I'd avoid the bar scene for a while. Get a solid foundation of success before introducing alcohol and chewing buddies into the mix. I don't doubt your resolve for a second. But, I also don't doubt that you've done some pretty stupid shit as an "illegal drinker". Don't let that stupid shit be putting nic in your system. There is no excuse.

Post roll first thing every morning. And take that seriously. We don't take this lightly. PM me your phone number and I'll keep you accountable. And maybe call you at 3 am just for the shit of it. I'm a heavy breather.
Glad to see you figured roll out. Don't worry about any day but today. We quit one day at a time for a reason, more than that will become overwhelming. I'll second smokeys warning about alcohol we've seen to many quitters cave under the influence early on. I'll be posting with you daily.
Thanks for the advice about alcohol consumption. Now that I'm legal, I've been favoring 3-4 high quality beers at the bar instead of the underage "binge drink the cheap shit" mentality. However, if you believe this will still be too much temptation I am more than happy to lay off for a month or two. I won't tell my German family if you won't ;)

One advantage of moving to St. Louis recently is all of my chewing buddies now live 4 hours away on the western side of the state. I'm making a commitment to avoid going back to visit until I have been quit for at least 100 days.

Offline Mthomas3824

• Epic Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2012-03-14
  • Interests: Living my life and never turning back to the can of lies.
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2013, 09:38:00 PM »
Not much more to add. I will be on I-70 in a week and it goes right past KC royals stadium. I fly to Nashville, (That place kicks ass) and driving my son back from school.

Long story short; the odds of someone your age, killing nicotine, is rare. I didn't quit until I was well into 43 years.

The sterotype of your age group is that you are so tough, you can go it alone. If someone my age gives you shit, instead of looking in the mirror, you need to prove that you are one bad ass son of a bitch.

If you want to beat the odds, you have to admit that this is an addiction more powerful than you. Post roll everyday...even before brushing teeth, this is the most important thing you can do when you wake...POST ROLL and keep your promise to be quit for the day.

If you will listen to the vets and do what you are told...You will be freed. If you are a cocky SOB and need to experience before you learn. You'll quit for good in 20 years.

Welcome but odd are against your quit. Please, Please, Please be a man and defy the odds!
Quit And Be Free

HOF Speech