Author Topic: Introduction - time to quit!  (Read 2669 times)

Offline Mthomas3824

• Epic Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2012-03-14
  • Interests: Living my life and never turning back to the can of lies.
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Introduction - time to quit!
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2013, 02:55:00 PM »
Quote from: jdubthe2nd
Quote from: voiceofreason88
Thanks guys - great advice!

The two things I'm most concerned about is

1. lashing out at my family - this is hard, as I only get a few hours with them at the end of the day (at which point I'm worn out already).

2. drinking too much and caving in.  drinking is something I need to tackle at another time, but those lowered inhibitions kill me.

I printed off the contract, and have read though it multiple times. It's very powerful.  I put it right underneath my credit card, so I'll see it when I pull it out - I think that will really help!

We can do it guys! Remember, it's not the fix of the stress, it's the cause of it.
I was afraid of hurting my wife (not physically) when i decided to quit. If you feel that rage, go run or exercise, come on here and type and rant your ass off, call/text one of us and blow up. That is a common fear among us, but I think you'll find that the rage will subside for the most part and you'll be happy more than you'll be upset.
you've got my #. Use it when you want/need.
For the wife and you to prepare

Sit her down and ask her to read this...After you read it. KTC is fantastic but my wife loved being helpful. This short memo helps the quitter and family.
Quit And Be Free

HOF Speech

Offline jdubthe2nd

• Quitter
  • Interests: God, Guitars, and Games
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2013, 01:33:00 PM »

1. lashing out at my family - this is hard, as I only get a few hours with them at the end of the day (at which point I'm worn out already).

2. drinking too much and caving in. drinking is something I need to tackle at another time, but those lowered inhibitions kill me.

I printed off the contract, and have read though it multiple times. It's very powerful. I put it right underneath my credit card, so I'll see it when I pull it out - I think that will really help!

We can do it guys! Remember, it's not the fix of the stress, it's the cause of it.
I was afraid of hurting my wife (not physically) when i decided to quit. If you feel that rage, go run or exercise, come on here and type and rant your ass off, call/text one of us and blow up. That is a common fear among us, but I think you'll find that the rage will subside for the most part and you'll be happy more than you'll be upset.
you've got my #. Use it when you want/need.
"Never tell me the odds!" - Han Solo

HOF 2/27/2014

Offline AppleJack

• Rockin’ in the free world...
  • Master of Quit
  • Quit Date: April 17, 2013
  • Likes Given: 106
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2013, 01:29:00 PM »
Welcome in bro.
Slow and steady... One day at a time. Break it down further if you have to... 1 hour, 10 minutes, 2 minutes at a time. We are here for you and we know exactly... EXACTLY... What's going on in your body and in your head. It's a beautiful choice you just made. Freedom is pretty damn cool.

Pm me and my number is yours. I'll help any way I can.
Well, it’s one louder, isn’t it? It’s not ten.

Offline Pinched

• Quit King
  • Interests: Baseball, Hunting, Trucks, Diesels, Scouting,
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2013, 01:28:00 PM »
Check your inbox (Upper right corner) for a message from me.
"If you want to quit then stop talking and just QUIT. If you want to kill yourself a bullet is cheaper and faster than a tin, plus it eliminates my hearing you whine and cry like a bitch."

Best thing I have read on KTC...Submitted by tgafish on 7/3/14

Former Skoal Straight and Cope Longcut user that started at the age of 12. QUIT on 7/15/13

Offline voiceofreason88

• Quitter
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2013, 01:20:00 PM »

2. drinking too much and caving in. drinking is something I need to tackle at another time, but those lowered inhibitions kill me.

I printed off the contract, and have read though it multiple times. It's very powerful. I put it right underneath my credit card, so I'll see it when I pull it out - I think that will really help!

Offline Pinched

• Quit King
  • Interests: Baseball, Hunting, Trucks, Diesels, Scouting,
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2013, 12:48:00 PM »
Hey bud, first of all I see that you already posted roll with March 2014, that is fantastic. Great work so far. You have Bulldog and Jdub reaching out to you already which is even better.

The three of you should exchange phone numbers and be a crutch for one another, add more quitters to that list along the way.

Here is some quick advice from me:
- post roll daily, this is your promise to be quit for this 24 hour period
- remember to look and focus solely on today. You are an addict and the only way to eat this elephant is one day at a time
- read all the stories on here
- get to know us, let us get to know you
- find an alternative to dip
* fake dip
* candy
* drinks lots of water
- direct your anger, your family and friends didn't make you an addict, you did, so never direct your anger at them. When you get a chapped ass, come into chat, use the forum, call a fellow quitter. exercise, hit a punching bag, anything but bitch at them
- plan for a bailout, when you get a craving and you will figure out a way to avoid a cave
- avoid triggers (drinking asshole buddies, etc.)

Welcome and quit like a beast today, it will suck until it doesn't.
"If you want to quit then stop talking and just QUIT. If you want to kill yourself a bullet is cheaper and faster than a tin, plus it eliminates my hearing you whine and cry like a bitch."

Best thing I have read on KTC...Submitted by tgafish on 7/3/14

Former Skoal Straight and Cope Longcut user that started at the age of 12. QUIT on 7/15/13

Offline Mthomas3824

• Epic Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2012-03-14
  • Interests: Living my life and never turning back to the can of lies.
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2013, 12:48:00 PM »
Quote from: Bulldog0311
Hi everyone!

I'm excited to take this step, and quit with the help of community! Below is my story:

First time smoking: shared a cigar in 2005 (I was 17) with an older friend of mind, didnÂ’t really enjoy it, definitely didnÂ’t enjoy the taste in my mouth the next morning! I smoked a couple more after that.

Friends had a hookah – that was much smoother and more enjoyable; I smoked (tobacco only) with them a few times at their place when I was 17 (was also introduced to Seven and 7 at that time).

At 18, I moved out to college.  The Hookah bar was expensive, but it was a fun hangout occasionally. I was old enough to buy cigarettes, so I bought a pack one day that was particularly stressful (I was working 40 hours a week and going to school full time).  I started smoked 1-2 cigarettes a week; I think I only went through 4-5 packs that year. I didn’t have any friends who smoked, and it wasn’t convenient – so it never became a habit; but I still fondly remember those cold nights at midnight going outside and having a cigarette before my last hour of studying – that combination of the rush and calming feeling felt great!

Fast-forward to 2007, I’m finishing up college, and getting married in a couple weeks.  I’m chilling with a friend, having a few beers. He pulls out his can, and I ask if I can try a dip.  He shows me how to do it – it hurt my lip and gums a lot; I enjoyed the rush, but it did make me feel sick – I was not sold.

Got married, things were going pretty well, I would still have the occasional cigarette, but probably went through 2 packs my first year being married. We found out that we were pregnant with a baby, due in 2009!

Then it hit: November 2008, I got laid off from my job. That Christmas kind of sucked, but I was optimistic about getting a new job in the new year. After a couple more months of not finding a new job, I began getting more stressed and depressed.  I started drinking a lot at night. During the day, while I was looking for a job, I would occasionally smoke to relieve stress. That got old pretty quick, as it was inconvenient to go outside; and my wife hated the smell. The solution? Tobacco in a can.

I used it as stress relief, and went through about a can a month.  I chewed off and on while I was looking for a job; sometime 2 cans a month, sometimes I would stop for 2-3 months at a time just because. I finally landed a job in 2010 (the longest/hardest 2 years of my life)! I got rid of the biggest reason for me to chew, but kept the habit.

Fast-forward to today. I have 4 amazing kids (oldest is 4), a great job, and a lingering addiction.  I’ve been going through a can/week the past few months. I’ll stop for a couple days when my can is empty, but then I’ll get bored/stressed/happy, and I’ll go pick up a new can.  It’s been five years of me doing this stupid thing to my body – I don’t want my kids to figure it out, I don’t want the bad breath, I don’t want the fear of cancer in the back of my mind, I don’t want to look at my credit card statement and see 5 reminders at $5.11 each of how stupid I am being, I don’t want to always have to have an empty bottle on me.  I want control of my life, I want to be there to see my grandkids grow up, I want to be there for my wife when we’re old, I want to be the best man I can be, and that means quitting for good! I’m ready and I want it!

Sorry for being long-winded, but it was very therapeutic for me to get this on paper. IÂ’d appreciate your support, this seems like a great place to help each other out!
Hey 88 welcome. I'm in the march group too and on my day 4. It's hard but you can do it. Dump your stash and post roll. It really does feel good to see yourself getting off that stuff. I look forward to seeing you become a quitter!!!
Another victory. USTobacco kiss our ass! 'Finger'

Welcome to hell and the journey to freedom!
Quit And Be Free

HOF Speech

Offline jdubthe2nd

• Quitter
  • Interests: God, Guitars, and Games
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2013, 12:40:00 PM »
Hey Brother, first off, I (and many others) are joyed that you've decided to quit. Being quit here means that you wont use Nicotine in any of its forms, gum/patches etc...

If you are ready to go Cold Turkey, go ahead and start posting roll with the March 2014 group. Check out the Welcome center. Go through the forums and HOF speeches for some inspiration, and start reaching out to the fellow Quitters on the site, they know how to help. I quit with you today brother, dont let the Nicotine crush you. It's a long road ahead. A road that we all are on together, we can lift each other up, or let each other down. Are you ready to make a PROMISE EACH DAY with us that you will not use the nic? That's all we ask here, that you post roll each day and when you start to do that, you may end up like me, trying to encourage whoever i can, when i can. Now lets Kill The Can.
"Never tell me the odds!" - Han Solo

HOF 2/27/2014

Offline Bulldog0311

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 12/02/13
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 12:34:00 PM »
!--QuoteBegin-+----/divtable border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'trtdQUOTE ( @ --)/td/trtrtd id='QUOTE'!--QuoteEBegin-- Hi everyone!

I'm excited to take this step, and quit with the help of community! Below is my story:

First time smoking: shared a cigar in 2005 (I was 17) with an older friend of mind, didnÂ’t really enjoy it, definitely didnÂ’t enjoy the taste in my mouth the next morning! I smoked a couple more after that.

Friends had a hookah – that was much smoother and more enjoyable; I smoked (tobacco only) with them a few times at their place when I was 17 (was also introduced to Seven and 7 at that time).

At 18, I moved out to college. The Hookah bar was expensive, but it was a fun hangout occasionally. I was old enough to buy cigarettes, so I bought a pack one day that was particularly stressful (I was working 40 hours a week and going to school full time). I started smoked 1-2 cigarettes a week; I think I only went through 4-5 packs that year. I didn’t have any friends who smoked, and it wasn’t convenient – so it never became a habit; but I still fondly remember those cold nights at midnight going outside and having a cigarette before my last hour of studying – that combination of the rush and calming feeling felt great!

Fast-forward to 2007, IÂ’m finishing up college, and getting married in a couple weeks. IÂ’m chilling with a friend, ha [/QUOTE]
Welcome man. I'm on day 4 and was on the can 23 years. Dump your stash and quit. You actually can do it. No patches no cigs no nada. Dump your debut and post roll with us every day.
It's hard but do like the rest of us and get yourself free.

Offline Bulldog0311

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 12/02/13
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 12:33:00 PM »
Hi everyone!

At 18, I moved out to college. The Hookah bar was expensive, but it was a fun hangout occasionally. I was old enough to buy cigarettes, so I bought a pack one day that was particularly stressful (I was working 40 hours a week and going to school full time). I started smoked 1-2 cigarettes a week; I think I only went through 4-5 packs that year. I didn’t have any friends who smoked, and it wasn’t convenient – so it never became a habit; but I still fondly remember those cold nights at midnight going outside and having a cigarette before my last hour of studying – that combination of the rush and calming feeling felt great!

Fast-forward to 2007, I’m finishing up college, and getting married in a couple weeks. I’m chilling with a friend, having a few beers. He pulls out his can, and I ask if I can try a dip. He shows me how to do it – it hurt my lip and gums a lot; I enjoyed the rush, but it did make me feel sick – I was not sold.

Got married, things were going pretty well, I would still have the occasional cigarette, but probably went through 2 packs my first year being married. We found out that we were pregnant with a baby, due in 2009!

Then it hit: November 2008, I got laid off from my job. That Christmas kind of sucked, but I was optimistic about getting a new job in the new year. After a couple more months of not finding a new job, I began getting more stressed and depressed. I started drinking a lot at night. During the day, while I was looking for a job, I would occasionally smoke to relieve stress. That got old pretty quick, as it was inconvenient to go outside; and my wife hated the smell. The solution? Tobacco in a can.

I used it as stress relief, and went through about a can a month. I chewed off and on while I was looking for a job; sometime 2 cans a month, sometimes I would stop for 2-3 months at a time just because. I finally landed a job in 2010 (the longest/hardest 2 years of my life)! I got rid of the biggest reason for me to chew, but kept the habit.

Fast-forward to today. I have 4 amazing kids (oldest is 4), a great job, and a lingering addiction. I’ve been going through a can/week the past few months. I’ll stop for a couple days when my can is empty, but then I’ll get bored/stressed/happy, and I’ll go pick up a new can. It’s been five years of me doing this stupid thing to my body – I don’t want my kids to figure it out, I don’t want the bad breath, I don’t want the fear of cancer in the back of my mind, I don’t want to look at my credit card statement and see 5 reminders at $5.11 each of how stupid I am being, I don’t want to always have to have an empty bottle on me. I want control of my life, I want to be there to see my grandkids grow up, I want to be there for my wife when we’re old, I want to be the best man I can be, and that means quitting for good! I’m ready and I want it!

Sorry for being long-winded, but it was very therapeutic for me to get this on paper. IÂ’d appreciate your support, this seems like a great place to help each other out!
Hey 88 welcome. I'm in the march group too and on my day 4. It's hard but you can do it. Dump your stash and post roll. It really does feel good to see yourself getting off that stuff. I look forward to seeing you become a quitter!!!

Offline voiceofreason88

• Quitter
Introduction - time to quit!
« on: December 05, 2013, 12:18:00 PM »
Hi everyone!

Fast-forward to 2007, I’m finishing up college, and getting married in a couple weeks. I’m chilling with a friend, having a few beers. He pulls out his can, and I ask if I can try a dip. He shows me how to do it – it hurt my lip and gums a lot; I enjoyed the rush, but it did make me feel sick – I was not sold.

Then it hit: November 2008, I got laid off from my job. That Christmas kind of sucked, but I was optimistic about getting a new job in the new year. After a couple more months of not finding a new job, I began getting more stressed and depressed. I started drinking a lot at night. During the day, while I was looking for a job, I would occasionally smoke to relieve stress. That got old pretty quick, as it was inconvenient to go outside; and my wife hated the smell. The solution? Tobacco in a can.

I used it as stress relief, and went through about a can a month. I chewed off and on while I was looking for a job; sometime 2 cans a month, sometimes I would stop for 2-3 months at a time just because. I finally landed a job in 2010 (the longest/hardest 2 years of my life)! I got rid of the biggest reason for me to chew, but kept the habit.

Fast-forward to today. I have 4 amazing kids (oldest is 4), a great job, and a lingering addiction. I’ve been going through a can/week the past few months. I’ll stop for a couple days when my can is empty, but then I’ll get bored/stressed/happy, and I’ll go pick up a new can. It’s been five years of me doing this stupid thing to my body – I don’t want my kids to figure it out, I don’t want the bad breath, I don’t want the fear of cancer in the back of my mind, I don’t want to look at my credit card statement and see 5 reminders at $5.11 each of how stupid I am being, I don’t want to always have to have an empty bottle on me. I want control of my life, I want to be there to see my grandkids grow up, I want to be there for my wife when we’re old, I want to be the best man I can be, and that means quitting for good! I’m ready and I want it!