• Master of Quit
  • Likes Given: 19
Re: Intro
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2009, 11:38:00 PM »
Welcome Mike.

You can do this.

Offline DanTheMan

• Quit Pro
  • Interests: My Kids and Wife, wishing the Bears didn't suck, Sausage, Veterinary business, bird watching, weight lifting, being happy, improving my life, and being thankful for what I have
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2009, 11:30:00 PM »
Welcome Mike

It sounds like you got the right attitude to fight this addiction. As Kdip said, "congratulations on the best decision of your life"

If you don't believe this, start spending as much time as possible reading everything on this website. I would suggest reading all the stories posted in this link: http://www.killthecan.org/facts/cancerfacts.asp

You got a tough battle ahead with most of your crew still chewing. Turn that into an extra motivating factor instead of an extra hurdle. Just think, you get cancer and chances are very good your hockey days are over, that is if you're still alive.

See you in roll call everyday. Let someone know if you need help.
"Making and keeping promises to yourself is the foundation for developing character and integrity"

QD: 2/25/09
HOF: 6/4/09
2nd Floor: 9/12/09
3rd Floor: 12/21/09
1 Year: 2/25/10
4th Floor: 3/31/10
5th Floor: 7/9/10
6th Floor: 10/17/10
7th Floor: 1/25/11
2 Years: 2/25/11
8th Floor: 5/5/11
9th Floor: 8/13/11
10th Floor: 11/21/11
3 Years: 2/25/12
11th Floor: 2/29/12
12th Floor: 6/8/12
13th Floor: 9/16/12
14th Floor: 12/25/12
4 Years: 2/25/13
15th Floor: 4/4/13
16th Floor: 7/13/13
17th Floor: 10/21/13
18th Floor: 1/29/13
5 Years: 2/25/14
19th Floor: 5/9/14
20th Floor: 8/19/14
21st Floor: 11/25/14
6 Years: 2/25/15
22nd Floor: 3/5/15
23rd Floor: 6/13/15
24th Floor: 9/21/15
25th Floor: 12/30/15
7 Years: 2/25/16
26th Floor: 4/8/16
27th Floor: 7/17/16
28th Floor: 10/25/16
29th Floor: 2/2/2017
8 Years: 2/25/17
30th Floor: 5/13/17
31st Floor: 8/21/17

Offline WebD

• Quitter
  • Interests: Running, snowmobiling, skiing, hiking
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2009, 05:02:00 PM »
Quote from: stonemi30
One thing that has been so hard for me to understand is how chewing became such a positive/reward for me.  I don't know how to explain it but I guess it's like everything was better because I was chewing.
Welcome Mike. Glad to hear you've made this life changing (for the better) decision. I'm really early on in my quit (12 days) but this site has proven to be an awesome support network. Everyone in the same boat and doing a great job of helping each other out.

Your words about chewing being a positive/reward really struck a nerve with me. That's the #1 thing I'm struggling with so far during my quit. I used chew as my little thing to look forward to each day and now that it's gone, I've been a little "lost" each day. The good news is that everyday it has gotten better and I'm realizing I don't need that dip to look forward to.

Best of luck!

Darin (WebD)

Offline DeanTheCoot

• Quitter
  • Interests: reading, eating, walking, running, fishing, Freemasonry, coffee, pussy, hunting, motorcycles, history, badminton, trees
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2009, 04:34:00 PM »
Good thing you're quit, Mike. If you don't, you're going to end up just like your uncle. (Except you will die younger than he did.)

Lots of people here will let you lean on them. Including me.

Offline Montana Rob

• Quitter
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2009, 03:53:00 PM »
Welcome Mike,
Its great to have you on board and ready to take on your quit. I'm going to disect your first post and hopefully add some insight and/or advice. I'm only at day 20, not far from where you are at now, but I am fully commited to quitting and helping anybody I can.

Before my quit 2days ago I had a chew 90% of every waking hour.
I used to be just like this, chewing for 17 years. The only time I spit it out was for eating, sleeping, or sex. Fucking pathetic

95% of the team chewed and I wanted to be a part of it.
I, too, wanted to be a part of the fire crew that I was working with. Chewing was the cool thing to do.

it's the whole reason I got started in this deadly game.
Fucking peer pressure. When minds are young and impressionable, as was mine, I thought it was cool and never thought of the consequences of the DEADLY GAME.

how chewing became such a positive/reward for me?
all kinds of stuff had warped my mind into believing chewing was helping me.
It is an addiction, like cocaine, heroin, meth - YEP - It fucks with your mind.

vowed I would quit only to have a chew a couple hours after.
Been there brother! I tell people have "stopped" many times and yet to "quit" - UNTIL I CAME TO THIS WEBSITE. This is the longest I have ever gone without the nic bitch. And I'm damn proud of it!

I realized I was truly addicted.
Knowing this is part of the quit process - never forget we ARE addicts.

I realize it's going to be hard it's something that needs to be done.
Its damn hard, but can be done. Look at all of the vets on this site!!! Listen to them and read what they have to say.

they try to wreck it for them and make quitting so hard.
Time to man up and be the person you want to be. As for your so-called friends - tell them to stuff that cancer in their mouth and while they are at it, go suck a bit fat donkey dick.

Plain and simple though I'm sick of giving into the addiction,
You're ready! Let the adventure begin! Post roll call, give your word and never put that shit in your mouth again!

If I keep this dumb addiction up I could be the one who leaves life early
There isn't any IF's, you will die from this shit.

In order to get to 100days, I'm going to have to take it one day at a time, one battle at a time, but I know I can make it with this team's support (killthecan.org) IÂ’m going to work as hard as I can to do my best and when tough times pop up I'll be ready to fight my way through it so I can finally do the right thing and kick this bad habit!
One day at a time brother! Stay close to this site, post often, and ask for help. That why we are here. To quit, and help each other stay quit. PM any of us for help at any time. Get some phone numbers from other quitters. Post roll every day and give your word. NEVER DIP AGAIN.

Offline Colonel_No_Cope

• BANNED
  • Quitting MoFo
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 03:48:00 PM »
Sorry to hear about your uncle... CopeFiend and I lost both our parents to cancer, and we lost 3 of our Grandparents to cancer.

You might say the writing is on the wall for our family. You have every reason in the world to quit for yourself, and with the unfortunate passing of your uncle NOW you have the motivation to make it stick.

Plenty of guys around this site will line up to help you with your quit. Read everything on this site that you can find... read what other guys have been thru.

The best thing about this site is that you are surrounded by guys that have been right where you are now. Each and everyone one of us has survived a Day 1 of our own... and had the help to reach where we are now.

Good luck on this most important venture... if you ever need anything, give any one of us a call or e-mail.

August Quit Group is a great team. Go now and post roll with them, and get to know them. See you there!!!

Offline Kdip

• Administrator
  • Master of Quit
  • Interests: Quitting and helping others quit, riding my motorcycle, baseball, football, old furniture restoration, junk collecting, vintage arcade machines, rafting, tubing, camping, my family and dog
  • Likes Given: 295
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 03:34:00 PM »
Mike congratulations on the best decision of your life. If you stay here and post One day at a time and stay active you WILL quit. One word of advice though, you may want to examine who your friends really are. Real friends will not try to make you chew and rub it in your face. But it may be that they are insecure in that they don't think they have what it takes to quit. If that is the case get them to come join you in the quit. There's plenty of room in here!!! Either way I advise you work to something out with them or make yourself scarce around them for the next 30 days or so. Good Luck and stay determined!!!

Offline markr

• Quit Date 04/01/2009
  • Quitter
  • Interests: I like Bowhunting Deer, bowfishing, shooting, deer hunting, fishing for bass and smallies in local lake and streams. Taking my daughter out in the wild my youngest love to shoot ,hunt and fish. I am a Hunters ed instructor and like to introduce kids to outdoors activities. Restoring old tractors.
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 03:17:00 PM »
Welcome Mike

I chewed for about 40 years I am on day 29 of my quit I was where you are a short 3weeks ago. This is the place to quit bar none. Beat your way through the first week it will be the toughest thing you will do. The cravings will be bad but pull through these guys will help you out . I am in the July Group But will also be posting support in your August group.

Go Mike you can do it!

Offline stonemi30

• Quitter
  • Interests: Have been a hockey goaltender for 24 years and will be leaving next year to play professionally in Sweden. Hockey is my biggest interest and when I'm not playing it I am probably watching it. When I'm not on the ice it's either fishing, hunting, or snowmobiling that takes up most of my time. I enjoy winter and fall when we have colder weather here which may be weird, but I just find hot weather annoying.
Intro
« on: April 29, 2009, 03:07:00 PM »
Hey Everyone,

My name is Mike and I have been chewing for the last seven years. Not that any chewing is a good thing but the last five years have really been my downfall. I would guess it's the same for most chewers out there but when I started chewing it was not much at all and now itÂ’s progressed into a nightmare. Before my quit 2days ago I had a chew 90% of every waking hour.

In the beginning I found myself involved with chewing because of the sport I love. My best friend was a dipper, he had offered me a dip one day, and I agreed to it. Although I hated it and even puked that day, 95% of the team chewed and I wanted to be a part of it. I never have been the type to be caught up by peer pressure but it's the whole reason I got started in this deadly game called chewing.

What started off as just having one simple chew quickly became having one before every game. After that it was a chew after meals, a chew after working out, a chew playing video games, and the list goes on and on and on. One thing that has been so hard for me to understand is how chewing became such a positive/reward for me. I don't know how to explain it but I guess it's like everything was better because I was chewing. Home work seemed less stressful when I had a dip, I had played so well in hockey when I had a dip before games, I thought I looked cool... all kinds of stuff had warped my mind into believing chewing was helping me perform daily tasks better.

In the last 6 years I'm have tried to quite several times but have never made it very long and that really hurts the pride. I have put up my guard, vowed I would quit only to have a chew a couple hours after. The longest I've ever made it was a week and that was the first time I realized I was truly addicted. Back then I was only having a couple dips a day and couldn't quit, now I'm having close to a tin a day and although I realize it's going to be hard it's something that needs to be done. Another large problem is my friends are they type of chewers that when someone quits they try to wreck it for them and make quitting so hard. Plain and simple though I'm sick of giving into the addiction, I'm sick of feeling like I failed when I can't quit, and IÂ’m sick of letting my dumb friends peer pressure me back into chewing. I needed a new attitude and with the recent death of a relative/finding this website I think I found one.

Now don't get me wrong I'm quitting for myself but my uncle was a heavy smoker/drinker and something in my mind just hasn't been right since he passed. I never really had anyone close to me pass away because of the lifestyle they lived. My uncle was a great guy but chewed/smoke/and drank way too muchÂ… Eventually was diagnosed with cancer, battled it for a year and died. I never could see myself in that position but for the last three months it's been heavily on my mind and well I think itÂ’s a good thing. If I keep this dumb addiction up I could be the one who leaves life early and for what a loss of money, a rotted mouth full of cancer, and a perminant dirt nap..... Yeah I guess it just doesn't seem worth it anymore.

In order to get to 100days, I'm going to have to take it one day at a time, one battle at a time, but I know I can make it with this team's support (killthecan.org) IÂ’m going to work as hard as I can to do my best and when tough times pop up I'll be ready to fight my way through it so I can finally do the right thing and kick this bad habit!