Author Topic: This has got to end....  (Read 2476 times)

Offline cbird65

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Own it or be OWNED by it
  • Quit Date: 12-31-2011
  • Interests: trying to follow in His footsteps, loving my bride and renewing my quit daily
  • Likes Given: 710
Re: This has got to end....
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2013, 03:22:00 PM »
Quote from: aglos
Quote from: drizz
I have been chewing for the last 12 years.
I am (was) a Grizzly long cut guy with a 1 can a day addiction.

I have tried to kick the habit several times in the past - but obviously i couldn't do it.  I am committed to making it happen this time. 

I have kept my additiction a secret from my family and most of my firends for the majority of that 12 year period.  I do not have a lot of people i can utilize as a support group - so I'm looking to lean on members of KTC.

I am making the committment becuase I am tired of lying, tired of hiding, tired of being powerless, and tired of leading a seperate life.  I want to enjoy my family and not be thinking about the next time I am going to be able to pop one in. 

I made the commitment at midnight on new years - putting me at 42 hours in.

100 days is right around the corner...
I dipped wintergreen skoal for about 18 years with a few unsuccessful quits thrown in. In the last couple years I probably went through about 1.5 cans/week on average. I would buy them 2 at a time and keep one in my car and one in my desk drawer at work. I keep it hidden from my wife, but she knew I was dipping. I think I kept the extent of the habit hidden from her. I have been reading about others who alter their days/nights and plot and plan when they will have an opportunity for the next dip. Thats me too. I hate to admit it to myself, but I have been arranging my life around getting a dip fix. Holy shit! Like avoiding stuff with my wife and kids so I could get a dip in or taking the long way home to make sure I got in enough time with a dip. Its totally insane!

So I have admitted I have a problem and its nuts to keep going on with it. I had my last dip between 7:30 - 8:00 on December 31st. I actually took it out when my wife returned from putting our kids to bed and put it back in the half empty tin - thinking I would have a chance to come back to it and savor my last dip after my wife went to bed. I never did get back to it and now I am going on 48 hours into my last quit.

Its been a tough day. I usually dip all day long at work. I am in a heavy fog today and not getting anything done, except this quit. Im registered, I did a roll call - I think - and some might say I have been more productive today than ever before? I hope I am saying that a day/week/month/year from now.
Thanks for the stories (Drizz and Adigg). It is crazy how similiar our addiction has been.
I was always ashamed about how i arranged my life about the can - it feels amazing to here the same thing from others.
I'm entering Day 3 right now - not a ton of fun, but i can make it through.
I'm getting sick (a cold) so having cough drops in my mouth all day might help.
Lets keep in touch guys - we can do this together.
Starting with a clean slate and no extra guilt will help. Eat whatever crow you need to, but come clean - Your addict brain will compound that guilt and you will weasel out.

Good to see you starting to reach out and building "quit buddies"
How often would you lie to a friend or let one lie to you? The accountability will grow as the brotherhood strengthens.
Believe Me

FLOOR 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ,11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19,, 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29,,, 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39
 ,,,,41 42 43 44 45 46

Assurance

Offline JW1977

• Quitter
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2013, 03:02:00 PM »
Quote from: labsrgood
Quote from: hokiehi
Right there with you brother!  Day 3 and holding strong.  I'm not going to cave and not going to let you cave.  I'm still in a fog and my head is hurting...but I'm choosing to believe that it isn't as bad as it was yesterday.  We are making progress!
Third day and still quit.

About the ninja quit thing...I am afraid of two reactions from my wife. The first is: Great, here we go again! (yea, I quit until a bachelor party came alng and then I dipped just once at that party....back in June.)

The second is: You would not have to quit again if you had stayed quit like you were supposed to, you bonehead. I mean I obviously lied the last time I quit; why would she believe me now? Both would be valid points indeed.

I am having the normal fog/concentration problems, but I am also having these little panic attacks that I have to breath through. They break your concentration big time.
Both of those things would exactly spot on....Right??

Because that reaction is accurate is a sure fucking sign that you are going to be a failure again .....Right???

FUCK NO Labs....Because you aren't going to stop quitting this time.....Right?????

Sounds to me like you need to answer a couple questions inside your own head and then go tell the world that you quit. It is never going to be easier than right now because you aren't going to go through all this shit for nothing....Right???

You are going to keep putting your name on that roll every day and give your word that you are not going to use nicotine....Right???

Then FUCK EM ALL and whatever they think - I will quit with your ass today!
"My Balls got Bigger than my Plans for a Magical Quit."

Quit Date: 12.27.12

Offline boomtho

• Quitter
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2013, 01:35:00 PM »
Quote from: labsrgood
Right there with you brother!  Day 3 and holding strong.  I'm not going to cave and not going to let you cave.  I'm still in a fog and my head is hurting...but I'm choosing to believe that it isn't as bad as it was yesterday.  We are making progress!

About the ninja quit thing...I am afraid of two reactions from my wife. The first is: Great, here we go again! (yea, I quit until a bachelor party came alng and then I dipped just once at that party....back in June.)

The second is: You would not have to quit again if you had stayed quit like you were supposed to, you bonehead. I mean I obviously lied the last time I quit; why would she believe me now? Both would be valid points indeed.

I am having the normal fog/concentration problems, but I am also having these little panic attacks that I have to breath through. They break your concentration big time.
I hear you on the whole "here we go again" mentality. Not as much with the GF, but with the friends that dip. Someone said on here that people don't like those who are quit because it reminds them that it IS possible to quit. I'm not sure how it is with your wife but maybe she has a vice that she's trying to quit and you can go through it together. New Years is usually a great time to tackle something like that.

That said, I know she's your wife and all but you never know how she will react. She loves you and I think that means full support even when she has her doubts. My GF has been the most supportive person of my quit that I know. Between her and you guys here I will stay quit.

Offline labsrgood

• Quitter
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2013, 09:08:00 AM »
Right there with you brother! Day 3 and holding strong. I'm not going to cave and not going to let you cave. I'm still in a fog and my head is hurting...but I'm choosing to believe that it isn't as bad as it was yesterday. We are making progress!

Offline copingwithoutcopen

• Quitting MoFo
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2013, 09:04:00 AM »
Right there with you brother! Day 3 and holding strong. I'm not going to cave and not going to let you cave. I'm still in a fog and my head is hurting...but I'm choosing to believe that it isn't as bad as it was yesterday. We are making progress!
I read someplace here that the headaches are due to dehydration so copious amounts of water and excercise will help flush out your sytem. Stay strong gents, the price of freedom is the suck (you're in it), your promise (you've made it) and a backbone (you can't let up). We're all right there with you so don't be afraid to reach out. Day 4 or 4000 the price is always the same.

Offline hokiehi

• Quitter
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2013, 08:31:00 AM »

Offline aglos

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2013, 08:17:00 AM »

I have tried to kick the habit several times in the past - but obviously i couldn't do it.  I am committed to making it happen this time. 

I have kept my additiction a secret from my family and most of my firends for the majority of that 12 year period.  I do not have a lot of people i can utilize as a support group - so I'm looking to lean on members of KTC.

I am making the committment becuase I am tired of lying, tired of hiding, tired of being powerless, and tired of leading a seperate life.  I want to enjoy my family and not be thinking about the next time I am going to be able to pop one in. 

I dipped wintergreen skoal for about 18 years with a few unsuccessful quits thrown in. In the last couple years I probably went through about 1.5 cans/week on average. I would buy them 2 at a time and keep one in my car and one in my desk drawer at work. I keep it hidden from my wife, but she knew I was dipping. I think I kept the extent of the habit hidden from her. I have been reading about others who alter their days/nights and plot and plan when they will have an opportunity for the next dip. Thats me too. I hate to admit it to myself, but I have been arranging my life around getting a dip fix. Holy shit! Like avoiding stuff with my wife and kids so I could get a dip in or taking the long way home to make sure I got in enough time with a dip. Its totally insane!

So I have admitted I have a problem and its nuts to keep going on with it. I had my last dip between 7:30 - 8:00 on December 31st. I actually took it out when my wife returned from putting our kids to bed and put it back in the half empty tin - thinking I would have a chance to come back to it and savor my last dip after my wife went to bed. I never did get back to it and now I am going on 48 hours into my last quit.

Its been a tough day. I usually dip all day long at work. I am in a heavy fog today and not getting anything done, except this quit. Im registered, I did a roll call - I think - and some might say I have been more productive today than ever before? I hope I am saying that a day/week/month/year from now.
Thanks for the stories (Drizz and Adigg). It is crazy how similiar our addiction has been.
I was always ashamed about how i arranged my life about the can - it feels amazing to here the same thing from others.
I'm entering Day 3 right now - not a ton of fun, but i can make it through.
I'm getting sick (a cold) so having cough drops in my mouth all day might help.
Lets keep in touch guys - we can do this together.

Offline GR8WHITEBUFFALO

• Quitter
  • Interests: Running, hunting, fishing, golfing, wasting away in margaritaville.
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2013, 07:13:00 AM »
Don't be afraid to own your quit. Own up to being an addict. Tell your wives what you have done and how you are now quit. They probably already have known anyway. You need to step out of the darkness and into the light of freedom. The nic bitch wants you to keep your addiction a secret, so you can cave later and (in your mind) nobody will no the difference. That's her thing. Fuck that, step out into the light and declare your quit to everyone who will listen. It takes giant balls but you can do it.

No ninja quitting !!!!
Enough is enough. Time to take control back from the nic bitch. My HOF speechGR8WHITEBUFFALO

Offline Tazbutane

• Quitting MoFo
  • Quit Date: 11/22/12
  • Likes Given: 39
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2013, 08:17:00 PM »

Welcome to the suck gentlemen, and the best decisions you have ever made. Get to know each other, trade phone numbers so you have someone to call when you need to rage to someone or need a distraction.

Drink lots of water, exercise, focus on the now. PM me if you need another number. The more the merrier.
March 2013 - Mad Men of Quit        
Quit date: 11/22/12          
Sobriety Date: 4/10/2006         
HOF Date 03/02/2013         
Semper Fidelis

Offline drizz

• Quitter
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2013, 08:01:00 PM »

I have tried to kick the habit several times in the past - but obviously i couldn't do it. I am committed to making it happen this time.

I have kept my additiction a secret from my family and most of my firends for the majority of that 12 year period. I do not have a lot of people i can utilize as a support group - so I'm looking to lean on members of KTC.

I am making the committment becuase I am tired of lying, tired of hiding, tired of being powerless, and tired of leading a seperate life. I want to enjoy my family and not be thinking about the next time I am going to be able to pop one in.

Offline zam

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quit Pro
  • Quit is not a passive activity.
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 07:36:00 PM »
There's great advice here, aglos. Stay close to the site. Read everything you can. and ask questions or just rant whenever, wherever. Great decision. You have no idea how good of a decision.

We know it will be hard. We know you can do it. Take it from someone that knows, ninja dipping is easy compared to ninja quitting. Let someone close know that you quit. You will likely not be yourself for a few days or so.
*Quit today. Full stop. No qualifiers. Tomorrow?... IDK, IDC.

Offline Adigg

• Quitter
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 06:37:00 PM »
Quote from: cdaniels

Dont worry about the 100 days. its never about the numbers. its about today only. one day at a time my friend. pm me if you need an extra number. chris
Same story brother. Only a few people new I dipped and toawrds the end I never dipped in front of anyone. I would go out of my way to inconvienance my friends, family and myslef. This website has been key to my quit.

Cdaniels said it right. Just worry about today. It takes 72 hours for nicotine to leave your system. Those are the worst days. My best advice is stay close to this site and embrace the suck. It will get better. PM me if you need a number.

adigg - day 53

Offline cdaniels

• Quitter
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 06:30:00 PM »

Dont worry about the 100 days. its never about the numbers. its about today only. one day at a time my friend. pm me if you need an extra number. chris
Quit date 11-20-12
Never again for any reason. I quit for today. Today I live.
http://forum.killthecan.org/index.php?showtopic=7796
http://www.killthecan.org/facts/contract.asp

Offline aglos

This has got to end....
« on: January 02, 2013, 06:11:00 PM »

I have tried to kick the habit several times in the past - but obviously i couldn't do it. I am committed to making it happen this time.

I have kept my additiction a secret from my family and most of my firends for the majority of that 12 year period. I do not have a lot of people i can utilize as a support group - so I'm looking to lean on members of KTC.

I am making the committment becuase I am tired of lying, tired of hiding, tired of being powerless, and tired of leading a seperate life. I want to enjoy my family and not be thinking about the next time I am going to be able to pop one in.