Author Topic: Slaying The Grizzly Bear  (Read 2796 times)

Offline JParis6014

• Quitter
  • Interests: Spending time with my beautiful girlfriend, Firefighting, Hunting, Fishing, Backpacking, Mountain Biking, Guns, Guitars, Music, Beer, and pretty much anything that has to do with the outdoors.....
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Slaying The Grizzly Bear
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2011, 05:24:00 AM »
Last night was hell again. I tossed and turned for forever. Then I would doze off and start back awake again. Same shit, different night. The cravings come and go. Sometimes my thought process is clear as a bell and sometimes the FOG has me all kinds of screwed up. Its Day 7 and I'm free of the nic bitch but it aint been easy. Its all worth it in the end though. Alot of people said I couldn't do it. Well its Day 7 and I'm still quit. Because failure wasn't and isn't an option. Thanks to TCOPE for texting and talking to me on the phone yesterday. Brother you have no idea how much that little talk helped. Also thanks to Radman and Rocketman for texting yesterday. Today is a good day, not because I'm feeling peachy necessarily but because I'm off the nic bitch because I'm quit for today. Stay strong and stay quit today brothers.
04/27/2011-"The first day of the rest of my life."

'irish' 'irish' "Proud to be Irish, proud to be a fireman!" 'irish' 'irish'

"Firefighting is all about ASS. Busting ours to save yours."

"I have no ambition in this world but one, and that is to be a fireman." ~Edward F. Croker~FDNY Fire Chief

Offline Radman

• Quit Pro
  • Interests: Family and friends. Other than that, anything outdoors....motorcycling, shooting, hunting, fishing, racing.
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2011, 10:14:00 PM »
Quote from: JParis6014
..... and my girlfriend is very happy now that I have quit ......
Just wait until she realizes what a grumpy sumbitch you become for a while. Oh, and then she'll realize that the nicotine has been reducing your sex drive. :o :o

Seriously, though: it will help both of you if she does some reading on this site. If you haven't already, show her around here some. Let her read the spouses section (maybe that won't scare either of you too bad). My quit got exponentially easier the day I emailed my wife some links to a few tidbits around here. She had no comprehension of what I was actually going through. Just thought I was being a jackass for no reason.

Offline Jeeper

• Quitter
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2011, 09:06:00 PM »
Make sure you drink plenty of water. When you think you have drank enough have some more. Nothing scientific here but it seems like the water held off the headaches from nic withdrawal.

Plus most people don't drink enough water anyway.

Congrats and keep up the QUIT.
RIP - R.W.D June 15, 2010
RIP - Big Boy Nov 27, 2013

Quit Date: 5/18/2010
HOF Date: 8/25/2010
2nd Floor: 12/3/2010
3rd Floor: 3/13/2011
4th Floor: 6/21/2011
5th Floor: 9/29/2011
6th Floor: 1/7/2012
7th Floor: 4/16/2012
8th Floor: 7/25/2012
9th Floor:P 11/2/2012

Offline wesski1

• Interests: Xbox 360, Red Sox, boating...and reprogramming myself to enjoy these things without dip
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2011, 06:27:00 PM »
JP -

I, too, was absolutely unable to sleep for the first couple of days - Day 3 I sweat so much during the night I thought I pissed the bed. Still having problems now, but to a lesser extent. I took some Tylenol PM a few nights and found that helped out - give it a try if you are still having problems.

-Wesski

Offline Scowick65

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2011, 08:25:00 AM »
I didn't sleep well at all last night. I got about a total of 2 1/2 hours of sleep. I would doze off and then start back awake every little bit. I feel horrible but I am thankful to be off the nic. Its nice not having raw spots or little bumps in my mouth. My smile looks better :D and my girlfriend is very happy now that I have quit B) I'm just trying to realize that for all of the shit I'm having to go through right now there are a lot more positives. I will never have to go through the suck again because I am quit for today one day at a time.
I had several weeks of insomnia as well. It too shall pass.

Offline JParis6014

• Quitter
  • Interests: Spending time with my beautiful girlfriend, Firefighting, Hunting, Fishing, Backpacking, Mountain Biking, Guns, Guitars, Music, Beer, and pretty much anything that has to do with the outdoors.....
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2011, 07:38:00 AM »
I didn't sleep well at all last night. I got about a total of 2 1/2 hours of sleep. I would doze off and then start back awake every little bit. I feel horrible but I am thankful to be off the nic. Its nice not having raw spots or little bumps in my mouth. My smile looks better :D and my girlfriend is very happy now that I have quit B) I'm just trying to realize that for all of the shit I'm having to go through right now there are a lot more positives. I will never have to go through the suck again because I am quit for today one day at a time.

"I have no ambition in this world but one, and that is to be a fireman." ~Edward F. Croker~FDNY Fire Chief

Offline JParis6014

• Quitter
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2011, 05:03:00 AM »
Well I'm on Day 6 and I have felt really good over the last day or so until this morning. The cravings had started to diminish and it felt like my head was starting to clear. Well not so fast. Had to get up at 4 am to work shift today at the FD and my head is spinning. All of the guys here are dipping and I can already tell its gonna be a shitty ass day 'bang head' Damn it. Well anyways its Day 6 and I am nic free and quit.

Offline Bean

• Quitter
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2011, 08:14:00 PM »
Congrats, Josh. I meant to quit at 25 too, but I kept on going for another 15 years. I'm not only an addict, but a dumbass. But I'm 233 days nic free now and you can do it too.

Post roll, keep your word, and enjoy life nic free (even the fog). Embrace the suck. That is the feeling of healing, bro.

Offline Scowick65

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2011, 06:49:00 AM »
12:49 AM EST and I'm nic-free for Day 3. This is honestly the hardest thing I have ever done. All of my friends either dip or smoke so the nic bitch is always lurking near and tempting. My head is splitting, fidgeting, distractions everywhere, I can't think straight. Damn I feel like shit just straight up shit. I'm moody as hell. Feel like I could rip somebody's head off right now and shit down their neck. Well it could be worse, I could be bowing at the feet of the nic bitch but I'm not. Thank God I'm nic free. I got one thing to say to the nic bitch  'Finger'
I know how you feel. We have all been through it.

I offer this for a bit of motivation. All of the dippers and smokers around you may tease you a bit. Just keep going one day at a time. At sometime in the future, you will notice their teasing will shift to admiration. They will think you are a bass ass quitter. Respect. Just wait and see.

Offline JParis6014

• Quitter
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2011, 01:11:00 AM »
12:49 AM EST and I'm nic-free for Day 3. This is honestly the hardest thing I have ever done. All of my friends either dip or smoke so the nic bitch is always lurking near and tempting. My head is splitting, fidgeting, distractions everywhere, I can't think straight. Damn I feel like shit just straight up shit. I'm moody as hell. Feel like I could rip somebody's head off right now and shit down their neck. Well it could be worse, I could be bowing at the feet of the nic bitch but I'm not. Thank God I'm nic free. I got one thing to say to the nic bitch 'Finger'

Offline per034

• Quitter
  • Interests: My family - 2 amazingly brilliant and beautiful children and an equally amazing and beautiful wife. Sports - Mets and Giants for teams, golf for weekends... Bagpipes. Been playing bagpipes longer than I've been dipping. And that's a long friggin' time.
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2011, 10:22:00 PM »
JP - It's been 3 days for me. I've dealt pretty well with it so far... but I think it's because of this site. There have been a few times each of the past three days where I've said "fuck it - I'm gonna go get a tin." But right before I do, I check the forums. I read some of the HOF speeches. And 20 minutes later, I'm right back in Quitville.

I never thought a social forum would be the impetus to help me quit. But this site really works. If you're on the edge and about to cave, come here - read an HOF speech. The cave will go away. At least it has for me.

Good luck with your quit. See you tomorrow at Roll.
The love you get here is conditional. The condition is that you are quit.

"Every time you bump someone and dont fix it, a kitten dies" - Jost2Brown

Offline bigrubberducky

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 10:01:00 PM »
JParis - I am right there with you man, 29 - been a slave to it for 11 years now. I am on day 3 myself. I look forward to seeing your name on Roll Call everyday - holler at me if you want to talk with someone going through the same shit as you right now because I feel exactly as you in everything that you have said. Stay strong bro - be the quit.
"You gain strength, courage and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do."
Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline rocketman

• Master of Quit
  • Interests: my wife & kids, snow & water skiing
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 08:39:00 PM »
JP....welcome to the place where everyone of us are addicts recovering from the nic bitch's hold on us. We've all been where you are....it's hard, but embrace the suck so you will know you never ever want to cave again and never ever have to go through these first days again.

If you haven't already, check out this link on what to expect: http://www.killthecan.org/yourquit/what.asp It certainly helped me.

Get into the chat room during the day or night....yell  scream at us.....we've all done it....we've all been through what you're going through.

If you need a number to call, private message me  I'll share. Lean on us to get through this....you will get through this and really enjoy the other side

Rocket

Offline JParis6014

• Quitter
Slaying The Grizzly Bear
« on: April 28, 2011, 08:22:00 PM »
Josh is the name and I'm a 25 year old dip addict. Welcome to my own personal hell. Welcome to this fucking prison I have enslaved myself in. This flimsy, piece of shit, plastic can with a grizzly bear on it stares me in the face. I hear her calling out. Yes she is calling my name I am sure of it. The nic bitch wanting me for just one last time. Just one pinch thats all I tell myself, thats all I need and then I will quit, just one more can, I swear this will be the last one. I cave, pack my lip with that sweet, wintergreen goodness, I feel it burn, my mind eases, my body relaxes, ahhhh sweet ecstasy. We have all been here in one way or another over the years. For me I have told my sick mind these same bullshit lies for well over 10 years. An addict never thinks or acknowledges they are not in control. I have always told myself that I could stop anytime I wanted to. Well, I am on Day 2 and its a bitch. I stumbled across this site yesterday and I registered for it. I'm looking for help, support, hell just a listening and sympathetic ear even from someone who has done it already. My head hurts, I can't think straight, I am fidgety, irritable, and all I can think about is the nic bitch. Yes even know she taunts me from that plastic can with the grizzly bear on it. I won't give in this time though. Something is different about me. I realize I am an addict. I realize that I can't do it on my own. I am quitting this nasty habit once and for all. I will not fail. I have surveyed the problem, I have come up with the solution, my path is laid before me, my decision stands final. As of 4-27-2011 I am nic free. I am quit.