Author Topic: Trying to finally rid myself of this plague  (Read 2448 times)

Offline Ready

• Admin (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Likes Given: 19
Re: Trying to finally rid myself of this plague
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2012, 11:50:00 PM »
I am so tired of it.
You are ready.

Burn your boat. Burn it now. There is no tomorrow.

You can do this.

Offline Cornholio

• BANNED
  • Quitter
  • Interests: "I am still growing too with all areas of life as I feel when we stop that is when we go 6 feet under. So each day I look to learn something or apply something I have learned in the past as we have reached today based on all of our decisions in that past. They made us who we are now, but do not define who we will be tomorrow, as that definition starts now." ~ SirDerek"KTC is a circle the wagons situation and you need to be inside the circle busting ass to keep the circle tight! Anyone running from the circle does so at their own peril..." ~ Jason (JDM)
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2012, 11:25:00 PM »
Quote from: Scowick65
Your story reminds me of me. Welcome aboard.
And me. Have a seat at the table Joe. You're life is about to change. Now that you made that decision, your better days are AHEAD of you. I'm a 30yr addict. You think YOU have issues.... If I can do this, YOU can do this. Give it all you got Bro. Take your life back RIGHT NOW.

Offline Scowick65

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2012, 07:20:00 PM »
Your story reminds me of me. Welcome aboard.

Offline JoeSchmoe

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 07:07:00 PM »
Thanks for the support. This quit is definitely about me. I can tell you I've already noticed (and am enjoying!!) the complete absence of the self-hating inner monologue that would usually occur on a daily basis, generally after sitting at my desk for an hour with a mouth full of shit.

This website is fantastic. It is great inspiration. Thanks again.

Offline per034

• Quitter
  • Interests: My family - 2 amazingly brilliant and beautiful children and an equally amazing and beautiful wife. Sports - Mets and Giants for teams, golf for weekends... Bagpipes. Been playing bagpipes longer than I've been dipping. And that's a long friggin' time.
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 02:34:00 PM »
Quote from: JoeSchmoe
Hello,
I'm a 33 year old who has been an "on and off" dipper since I was 22. I have tried innumerable times to quit. I used to think I was never "addicted," but I have finally admitted that I am an addict. I have been with my wife for over 8 years, and I've spent those years constantly hiding my secret addiction. I've gone to what I consider extreme lengths to dip, which I have always been fully aware could eventually kill me.

I have spent hours of my life standing in front of a mirror, looking for that first sign of cancer. I have tormented myself with worry over little spots of mucosal irritation, or sore throats that won't stop. I'll stop dipping for a few weeks, and then as soon as I feel like my mouth is back to normal, I'll get stressed or happy (!) and then want to dip again. I've lived this ridiculous cycle for over a decade!

I am so tired of it.

My wife and I are welcoming our first child this summer. I have decided that the first gift I am giving this kid is a father who is not a complete idiot. I have to stop. For good.

I have read this site and I am so happy to find like-minded people that have dealt with the exact struggles I am experiencing.

Thank you.

I will keep reading and using this site to help support me through this as I try to extricate my stupid self from this addiction.

Joseph
You'll find many on this site who are in the same boat as you. And, if you read some old intros, you'll find many are still in the same boat as you were yesterday - because they quit and caved. So many people decide to quit because they have a child on the way or thier wife is fed up with it or it's a new year's resolution...

It's rare when those reasons result in a successful quit. Congratulations on your new addition to the family. Saving your life is a great gift to give your child. But please quit this awful addiction for yourself. You can quit for your unborn child and your wife, but you also MUST quit for yourself.

You've been selfish for over a decade by putting that shit in your mouth. Now it's time to be selfish again - but for the right reasons. Do this for you. You can quit. There is no secret to how this gets done. You make your promise and you keep your word. There are no tomorrows.

Welcome to our world. It's glorious here. The sun is always shining, the water's always fresh and the bitch can't find us.

Congratulations on taking your life back. No go ahead and be selfish.
The love you get here is conditional. The condition is that you are quit.

"Every time you bump someone and dont fix it, a kitten dies" - Jost2Brown

Offline Bean

• Quitter
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 02:22:00 PM »
Great choice, Joe. I can relate to your comment about not considering yourself addicted. I would quit for a few days just to "make sure I could." I also told myself that if I took small dips, it was okay. Or that it would help if I moved it around. I was a fucking idiot. (Maybe still am, but I'm now a nic-free idiot).

You've taken the first step. We're here to help with the rest. Just post roll, keep your word and repeat. You can't change the past, but you can sure as shit decide to change your future.

Post roll, read all you can on this site, HOF posts, testimonials. Excercise, drink water, eat candy...whatever. But don't go back. Welcome to freedom.

Offline MattMan

• Quitter
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 01:50:00 PM »
Welcome Joe,

We are a no bullshit qroup of quitters here. We post roll first thing each morning and give our word that we will not use nicotine for that day. We keep our word for that day and then repeat the process the next.

Don't worry about anything other than that. One day at a time. Accountability to eachother makes it work.

Read everything you can. Post roll. Stay quit.

MattMan
Day 1 - 10/18/2011
span style='font-family:Geneva'HOF - 01/25/2012
/span

Little men with little minds and little imaginations go through life in little ruts, smugly resisting all changes which would jar their little worlds. /// Zig Ziglar

Offline auburn

• Quitter
    • www.porksword.com
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 11:43:00 AM »
I am 33 as well, and my wife and I have been married 8 years. Join me in this journey! Day 3 for me! Fight the good fight!

I have chewed for almost 20 years, and I truly enjoyed dipping. I miss it a lot, but I value my life more. It's a tough thing to give up. I have a long ways to go, but with everyone's help I am sure the both of us can be successful!

Offline JoeSchmoe

Trying to finally rid myself of this plague
« on: January 13, 2012, 11:37:00 AM »
Hello,
I'm a 33 year old who has been an "on and off" dipper since I was 22. I have tried innumerable times to quit. I used to think I was never "addicted," but I have finally admitted that I am an addict. I have been with my wife for over 8 years, and I've spent those years constantly hiding my secret addiction. I've gone to what I consider extreme lengths to dip, which I have always been fully aware could eventually kill me.

I have spent hours of my life standing in front of a mirror, looking for that first sign of cancer. I have tormented myself with worry over little spots of mucosal irritation, or sore throats that won't stop. I'll stop dipping for a few weeks, and then as soon as I feel like my mouth is back to normal, I'll get stressed or happy (!) and then want to dip again. I've lived this ridiculous cycle for over a decade!

I am so tired of it.

My wife and I are welcoming our first child this summer. I have decided that the first gift I am giving this kid is a father who is not a complete idiot. I have to stop. For good.

I have read this site and I am so happy to find like-minded people that have dealt with the exact struggles I am experiencing.

Thank you.

I will keep reading and using this site to help support me through this as I try to extricate my stupid self from this addiction.

Joseph