Author Topic: 9-11 marks 5 Years of Freedom for me  (Read 5188 times)

Offline sts

• Quitter
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Newbie
« Reply #70 on: July 27, 2011, 09:26:00 PM »
Quote from: Ruderunner
Bean is it wrong if I masturbate everytime I crave dip?
only if you're at work when you crave
HOF Date: 4/4/2011

Offline Keddy

• Admin (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Break the Chains
« Reply #69 on: July 27, 2011, 09:06:00 PM »
Here's something I wrote a few days ago. It may be of help:

index.php?showtopic=4011

Offline Ruderunner

• Quitter
  • Interests: Coaching my 2 boys (baseball/street hockey), triathlon training, yard work, reading.
« Reply #68 on: July 27, 2011, 09:05:00 PM »
Bean is it wrong if I masturbate everytime I crave dip?
VAG PUNCHING THE NIC BITCH DAILY...
F-UST, F- the nic bitch and FUCK the GOVT for allowing this industry to thrive and prosper by targetting and poisoning our youngest for PROFIT. ASSHOLES!!!!!!!

Offline Bean

• Quitter
« Reply #67 on: July 27, 2011, 05:00:00 PM »
This may be a terrible idea...but I thought I would start a thread that would have a list of things that to fight urges...aside from the obvious stuff like posting roll and excercise. Everybody is different. This is what has worked for me, feel free to add.

1) Driving was a huge trigger for me, so I used to say out loud (sometimes shout) something like, "I GET to live today because I CHOSE to quit on September 11."

2) Post-meal was also a trigger...so I'd pop on to this site and read the Kern Family story or the Contract.

3) ...

(this may not be a good idea with this group)

Offline Pouchgoaway

• Quitter
« Reply #66 on: July 26, 2011, 12:47:00 PM »
I can't agree with what was just posted any more if I tried. Bean is right Posting Roll is key.

When I posted roll it was a source of strength looking at all the other names on roll because these folks are right there with me they are going through exactly what I was.That makes all the difference.

Offline Bean

• Quitter
« Reply #65 on: July 26, 2011, 10:40:00 AM »
I know you don't need a lecture, but I wanted to share some thoughts...

Post Roll, get numbers, read all you can and stay glued to this site.

I quit many times before, too...usually for a day or two, or until something I could use as a bullshit excuse to cave (job stress, life stress, hang-nail, nothing but reality shows on TV, etc). Then I found this site.

POSTING ROLL is the key...period. When you give your word, it is like everyone on this site is right there with you all day long. I'd seen cancer pics before. The scared me, but I kept on dipping. I knew cancer was likely in my future if I didn't quit and I still ignored the risk. But giving my word to a bunch of strangers who are going throught the same bullshit I was at the same time made all the difference.

Also, something that worked for me personally, encouraging other quitters when I felt a crave or "trigger." After meals, I would pop on here and read or share a few words. Just reading a few posts, maybe even the Kern Family story, gave me the strength to fight no matter how tough it was...like re-newing my promise from that morning.

Remember, there is no short-cut. You have to decide to quit, post your promise, and keep your word. The good news is that you can do it...and we're all here to help.

Offline nicofiend

• Quitter
« Reply #64 on: July 07, 2011, 05:16:00 PM »
WELL DONE BEAN!!! You just made my quit stronger! nico

Offline Radman

• Quit Pro
  • Interests: Family and friends. Other than that, anything outdoors....motorcycling, shooting, hunting, fishing, racing.
« Reply #63 on: July 07, 2011, 04:23:00 PM »
Brag, brag, brag..... showoff! Just kidding, bro. Congrats and well said. I couldn't agree more. No pills, no patches, no bullshit.

And I say thanks to YOU for posting every day with me and the rest of the GUARD. See you there tomorrow morning.

Offline eafman

• Quit Pro
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #62 on: July 07, 2011, 04:02:00 PM »
Quote from: Bean
20 years of poisoning myself came to an end 300 days ago. I quit plenty of times before...a day or two here and there...always failed.

This time is working and the ONLY thing I did differently was use this site.

300 days ago, I thought I could quit all by myself. I was sure I didn't need this site. I knew tobacco was bad, didn't need to see pictures or listen to people nag me. I knew I needed to quit, blah, blah, blah... Plenty of baseball coaches told me so, blah, blah, blah... In fact, I even thought that posting roll was stupid. I promised myself that I would do it...but only until I reached the HoF because I didn't really need to in the first place, right?

WHAT AN IDIOT I WAS?!!! I shudder to think how stupid I was then.

But that is how tough the Nic Bitch is. That is what she tells you to think. She made me rationalize killing myself. Read that again...she made me rationalize KILLING MYSELF!!! I knew I was killing myself and she made me ignore the risk. She made me think I didn't need anyone else despite a long history of failure. That is power!

The key for me was YOU...the person reading this. THIS SITE...POSTING ROLL...MUTUAL SUPPORT...and, for the first time in 20 years, ACCOUNTABILITY.

No pills, no pathches, no excuses, no bullshit. Just pure quitting...making a daily promise to you folks, that come Hell or high-water, I wasn't going to put that shit in my face for that day.

That began 300 days ago. Thank YOU for my freedom. I owe too many folks to mention individual names, but I have to mention one...The Kern Family. (If anybody hasn't read their story, please do so). I never met Mr. Kern, but his family should know that sharing his experience on this site has certainly saved at least one life...mine.

So, as I sit here at Day 300, I realize that I have not crossed any "finish line" but just another milestone on a journey that is TOTALLY WORTH IT!!!

- THANKS FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEART,
The Bean
Congratulations, I look up to you for doing it the right way. Keep on the path, I will be watching each day at a time.

Offline Keddy

• Admin (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Break the Chains
« Reply #61 on: July 07, 2011, 03:27:00 PM »
20 years of poisoning myself came to an end 300 days ago. I quit plenty of times before...a day or two here and there...always failed.

300 days ago, I thought I could quit all by myself. I was sure I didn't need this site. I knew tobacco was bad, didn't need to see pictures or listen to people nag me. I knew I needed to quit, blah, blah, blah... Plenty of baseball coaches told me so, blah, blah, blah... In fact, I even thought that posting roll was stupid. I promised myself that I would do it...but only until I reached the HoF because I didn't really need to in the first place, right?

But that is how tough the Nic Bitch is. That is what she tells you to think. She made me rationalize killing myself. Read that again...she made me rationalize KILLING MYSELF!!! I knew I was killing myself and she made me ignore the risk. She made me think I didn't need anyone else despite a long history of failure. That is power!

The key for me was YOU...the person reading this. THIS SITE...POSTING ROLL...MUTUAL SUPPORT...and, for the first time in 20 years, ACCOUNTABILITY.

No pills, no pathches, no excuses, no bullshit. Just pure quitting...making a daily promise to you folks, that come Hell or high-water, I wasn't going to put that shit in my face for that day.

That began 300 days ago. Thank YOU for my freedom. I owe too many folks to mention individual names, but I have to mention one...The Kern Family. (If anybody hasn't read their story, please do so). I never met Mr. Kern, but his family should know that sharing his experience on this site has certainly saved at least one life...mine.

So, as I sit here at Day 300, I realize that I have not crossed any "finish line" but just another milestone on a journey that is TOTALLY WORTH IT!!!

The Bean
A firm slap on the back for a job well done, Bean.
Congratulations on reaching floor #3 and thank you for your help in my quit!

Offline Ready

• Admin (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #60 on: July 07, 2011, 02:21:00 PM »

The Bean
Damn Proud of You.

Offline Parputt

• Quit King
  • Quit date: 1-13-2011
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #59 on: July 07, 2011, 01:51:00 PM »

The Bean
Thank you for being here for us new guys Bean. If it weren't for people like you giving it back this way of quit/life would die. Thank YOU!
QD:  1-13-11
HOF: 4-22-11
Sobriety date: 3-4-07

One is one too many
One more is never enough

This Is My Quit

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself, any direction you choose ~ Dr. Seuss

Offline Bean

• Quitter
« Reply #58 on: July 07, 2011, 12:58:00 PM »

The Bean

Offline jaygib

• Quitter
« Reply #57 on: May 30, 2011, 08:14:00 AM »
Ken Gibson, brother and soldier, taken too early because you were willing to give it all
Quit January 19, 2011

Everything is permissible for me but not everything is beneficial. Everything is permissible for me but I will not be mastered by anything. 1 Cor 6:12

Offline TheMissingPeace

• Quitter
« Reply #56 on: May 28, 2011, 12:42:00 PM »
I'm not in the service, but I'm thankful for the men and women who are. I am living free thanks to you and those who came before you.

And speaking of freedom...I'm also living NIC FREE thanks to the folks on this site. Whether you just quit (and are white-knuckling it through sleepless nights), or if you've been quit for some time (Day 259 for me), it is important to remember one thing...living free.

Stay safe, remember the purpose of Memorial Day, and stay quit!!!
Thank you, Bean. My sentiments as well...