Author Topic: Day 6 After 36 years using  (Read 4751 times)

Offline Mike_Land

• Quit Pro
  • Interests: Triathlons and my girls, Wife Michelle and Daughter Olivia.
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Day 6 After 36 years using
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2013, 12:46:00 AM »
300 days...It doesn't seem possible that it has been that long. I sometimes can't believe that I've been successful at kicking the bitch out of my life for 10 months. That is about 4 months longer than any of the many other times I tried to quit. Wonder what the difference is? Well, I'm glad you asked.

The difference between this quit and the multiple stops of the past is that I have the best support system a guy could want. KTC and the people that I have met, online and in person have made all the difference between this being a true quit and not just another stoppage. I'm celebrating reaching this point in my quit because of the people who have inspired me. Chewie, Theo3wood, Bait, BJDog, Sir Derek, MFKuss, Sportsfan, Scowick and numerous other people have all played a part. Whether I met you at a meet or you showed your support by sending daily text like Cdaniels, I thank you for being there for me.

So here are a few things I have learned over the last 300 days.

1. Focus on the daily battle. This is a a daily thing. Never look past today. It will only overwhelm you. Like Sportsfan said, "those one day at a times add up".

2. Don't think that reaching a milestone is the end of the road. The battle with the addiction will continue on. In the words of Keddy, "Celebrate your accomplishment and then press on" There are more victories and nic free experiences to have in the future.

3. Try to be a mentor. I have found that trying to mentor someone in their quit makes my own quit that much better. It's another thing that helps hold me accountable.

4. You can't save everyone. I have had several guys that I tried to connect with and mentor fall off the wagon. That is not my fault. It took me a while to figure that out. I kept thinking that if I had tried a little harder to say the right words or made the call a lttle sooner then those guys would not have failed. In the end it is those guys who made the choice to give up and cave to the whore. What we have to do is pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off and move on. There are those out there who need us. Find them and keep moving forward with our quit.

5. Remember that this is a daily battle. Dont' think you have won just because you made the hall of fame, reached 300 days or even a comma or half comma. Think you have won and letting your guard down is exactly when the bitch will pounce because that is when we are the most vulnerable. Always guard your quit.

6. Posting may seem crazy to you after so many days, but remember that that is how we give our word to each other. I am not a 100% poster. I have missed a few days. I can tell you that those days are the ones that give me the most trouble. One because I feel like I let myself down, two because I feel like I have let those who are counting on me down. Try to post everyday and as early as possible. It's a pillar of our quit.

Thanks for being part of my quit. I will continue the fight, pressing on towards one year and beyond. One day at a time. Just one day at a time.

Mike

Offline Pinched

• Quit King
  • Interests: Baseball, Hunting, Trucks, Diesels, Scouting,
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2013, 12:30:00 AM »
Quote from: Erussell
Quote from: SirDerek
Quote from: Mike_Land
Quote from: MJSCHWARTZ
DISTURBING, BUT FRICKING HILARIOUS!!!! 'crackup'  'crackup'
just to set the record straight, I left my computer open while I went to lunch. My co-workers, who happen to be a really malicious group of people and give me tons of shit about how I post roll everyday and spend so much time on KTC, thought it would be great fun to post that little story about rubbing cope all over my naked self. I might rub something all over me while naked but it sure as shit won't have nicotine in it!

:D 'arse' 'crackup'
tsk, tsk, watch that computer my friend....

what would have been better is if they said that was the dip dream you had last night...... 'crackup'  
How fucked up and funny all at the same time.
That has to be the funniest shit ever. I guess you will now be pressing Ctrl+Alt+Delete and then locking your computer down every time to walk away.

Your co-workers made my day.
'crackup' 'Moe'
"If you want to quit then stop talking and just QUIT. If you want to kill yourself a bullet is cheaper and faster than a tin, plus it eliminates my hearing you whine and cry like a bitch."

Best thing I have read on KTC...Submitted by tgafish on 7/3/14

Former Skoal Straight and Cope Longcut user that started at the age of 12. QUIT on 7/15/13

Offline Erussell

• Quit Pro
  • Quit Date: 2013-04-30
  • Interests: Time with daughter. Anything outdoors.
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2013, 12:18:00 AM »
Quote from: SirDerek
just to set the record straight, I left my computer open while I went to lunch. My co-workers, who happen to be a really malicious group of people and give me tons of shit about how I post roll everyday and spend so much time on KTC, thought it would be great fun to post that little story about rubbing cope all over my naked self. I might rub something all over me while naked but it sure as shit won't have nicotine in it!

what would have been better is if they said that was the dip dream you had last night...... 'crackup'  
How fucked up and funny all at the same time.
I would rather lose to a cheater than win as a cheater.

Offline Mike from AB

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: August 20, 2013
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2013, 12:04:00 AM »
Hahaha well ok at least they have a sense of humor!! :D

Offline SirDerek

• Quit Pro
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2013, 12:43:00 PM »

Offline Mike_Land

• Quit Pro
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2013, 12:30:00 PM »
DISTURBING, BUT FRICKING HILARIOUS!!!! 'crackup' 'crackup'

Offline MJSCHWARTZ

• Quitter
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2013, 10:54:00 AM »
DISTURBING, BUT FRICKING HILARIOUS!!!! 'crackup' 'crackup'

Offline Mike_Land

• Quit Pro
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2013, 10:51:00 AM »
Does it count if while getting out of the shower and naked I take 4-5 cans of Copenhagen and rub it all over my body? Just savoring that delicious, tantalizing scent as it adheres to my body always makes me smile...

Offline Diesel2112

• Quitter
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2013, 10:42:00 PM »
WTF is going on the last few days with some guys on this site? One guy wants to test his quit by getting a can, having a dip and what? Seeing if you are automatically hooked again. What the fuck is up with that. That is absolute stupidity. Another guy just gives up after making the HOF and decides it's not worth being quit and then writes a post saying his goodbyes. I don't get that shit either.

I am going to do what one person advised on another post. I am going to invest myself in my quit and the quit of those that I know are committed to this site and it's philosophy. I am here to support newbies like Erussell and Papabear and vets like Evil and sportsfan and even OIB. I know these guys are committed and have wholly bought in to the KTC philosophy. I also know that I can trust their word which is lots more than I can say about a few people here recently.

I have made it a habit to come to the introductions page to find the new quitters and hopefully be able to help them if I can. I also like the add ons that the vets have added to their intros detailing experiences they have had with their quit. They inspire me to continue strengthening my quit.

"But Mike, you have been quit almost 200 day, You have it made" you say. BULLSHIT. I don't have it made and neither does anybody else on this site. I don't care if you are a day 1 quitter or a seasoned vet like Big Brother Jack and have been quit almost 20 years. Nobody has it made. We fight this battle every single day of our lives. Every single day I make the choice to quit or cave. For 198 days I have chosen to quit. And by the grace of God I will continue to quit everyday for the rest of my life.

For those of you who have chosen to cave or tempt fate as the case may be, I encourage you to get back on the wagon. Post your day 1 in the appropriate group. Buy in to the KTC philosophy. Sell out completely to your quit. I know that this method of quitting works. No I'm not an expert but I used for over 36 years and have tried quitting multiple times. This is the only method that has worked. I have seen almost every single person on my mother's side of the family die from the use of tobacco. I know of only one that did not smoke or chew but she was around people breathing second hand smoke her whole life and she died from cancer as well. I don't want to see any of you wind up the way they did. Why in the world would you want to tempt fate? It makes no sense what so ever.

Ok I've rambled enough. Let's all concentrate on our quits. Let the dumb bastards go. They must choose which way they will go. We can cuss and discuss this all day long but in the end only they can decide which way they will go.

Quit on brothers and sisters.

Mike
Who wrote a goodbye post saying its not worth it anymore. Missed that one. Was busy living life this weekend.
Quit 06/04/12
HOF 9/11/12
2nd floor 12/20/12
3rd floor 03/30/13
4th floor 07/08/13
5th floor 10/16/13
6th floor 01/24/14
7th floor 05/04/14
8th floor 08/12/14
9th floor 10/20/14
Comma 02/28/15
11th floor 06/08/15
12th floor 09/16/15
13th floor 12/25/15
14th floor 04/03/16
15th floor 7/11/16
16th floor 10/20/16
17th floor 01/27/17
18th floor 05/08/17
19th floor 08/14/17
20th floor 11/27/17
21st floor 03/11/18

"Celebrate the moment as it turns into one more"..
"You can fight without ever winning, but never ever win, win without a fight".
"Onion rings...funyons. A connection? Yeah. I fucking think so."
"Honest Abe had a fake jaw".
"In a world that seems so small, I can't stop thinking big"
"Someone set a bad example. Made surrender seem all right
The act of a noble warrior. Who lost the will to fight."

Offline Tazbutane

• Quitting MoFo
  • Quit Date: 11/22/12
  • Likes Given: 39
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2013, 09:10:00 PM »
Thanks for starting this thread Mike, you have a very good way with your words, as do some of the others that have responded.

Lets hope we can spend this next week more focused on our quits and the new folks that can actually use the help. People that are willing to listen to the years of experience the veterans on this site have.
March 2013 - Mad Men of Quit        
Quit date: 11/22/12          
Sobriety Date: 4/10/2006         
HOF Date 03/02/2013         
Semper Fidelis

Offline KC_Guy

• Quitter
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2013, 07:49:00 PM »
I am 21 days into my life changing quit. Reading about caves helps me grow stronger in my quit. Its all a mind game. No way will I let nicotine mind fuck me the way some of these weak minded cavers have. Cave stories are gasoline for my quit fire. Stay strong brothers and sisters.
Quit Date 05/20/2013

HOF 08/27/13
2nd Floor 12/5/13
3rd Floor 3/15/14
4th Floor 6/23/14
5th Floor 10/1/14

Offline LionHeartedGirl

• Quitter
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2013, 07:35:00 PM »
Quote from: Mjollnir
"Testing your quit"

That's like testing the firing pin in your revolver by looking down the barrel with one in the chamber to see if it come up the barrel real quick.

I can tell you what will happen. You will succeed! You will have one dip, put it down and be fine. The next day, or later that day, you will celebrate your success by yes! "having another dip" because you succeeded! Since this was such a great success, you may as well finish the can, because, well shit, you have it under control. After that can, since everything is under control, you can continue to dip because, well shit, you have it under control. Then, when they saw your jaw off, well, shit. Better hope the doctor has the saw under better control than you did.

Don't mind me, I just a malcontent, I can't even drink.
This is so brilliant and describes my mentality for years. No more.

I truly believe one must accept the fact that they are an addict for life before one can truly start to be quit one day at a time.
QUIT LIKE A GIRL!

Quit Date: 5/23/13
HOF: 8/30/13

Offline Mjollnir

• Epic Quitter
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2013, 07:13:00 PM »
"Testing your quit"

That's like testing the firing pin in your revolver by looking down the barrel with one in the chamber to see if it come up the barrel real quick.

I can tell you what will happen. You will succeed! You will have one dip, put it down and be fine. The next day, or later that day, you will celebrate your success by yes! "having another dip" because you succeeded! Since this was such a great success, you may as well finish the can, because, well shit, you have it under control. After that can, since everything is under control, you can continue to dip because, well shit, you have it under control. Then, when they saw your jaw off, well, shit. Better hope the doctor has the saw under better control than you did.

Don't mind me, I'm just a malcontent, I can't even drink.

Offline Morgan1

• Quit Pro
  • Quit Date: 2012-05-29
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2013, 10:44:00 AM »
WTF is going on the last few days with some guys on this site? One guy wants to test his quit by getting a can, having a dip and what? Seeing if you are automatically hooked again. What the fuck is up with that. That is absolute stupidity. Another guy just gives up after making the HOF and decides it's not worth being quit and then writes a post saying his goodbyes. I don't get that shit either.

I am going to do what one person advised on another post. I am going to invest myself in my quit and the quit of those that I know are committed to this site and it's philosophy. I am here to support newbies like Erussell and Papabear and vets like Evil and sportsfan and even OIB. I know these guys are committed and have wholly bought in to the KTC philosophy. I also know that I can trust their word which is lots more than I can say about a few people here recently.

I have made it a habit to come to the introductions page to find the new quitters and hopefully be able to help them if I can. I also like the add ons that the vets have added to their intros detailing experiences they have had with their quit. They inspire me to continue strengthening my quit.

"But Mike, you have been quit almost 200 day, You have it made" you say. BULLSHIT. I don't have it made and neither does anybody else on this site. I don't care if you are a day 1 quitter or a seasoned vet like Big Brother Jack and have been quit almost 20 years. Nobody has it made. We fight this battle every single day of our lives. Every single day I make the choice to quit or cave. For 198 days I have chosen to quit. And by the grace of God I will continue to quit everyday for the rest of my life.

For those of you who have chosen to cave or tempt fate as the case may be, I encourage you to get back on the wagon. Post your day 1 in the appropriate group. Buy in to the KTC philosophy. Sell out completely to your quit. I know that this method of quitting works. No I'm not an expert but I used for over 36 years and have tried quitting multiple times. This is the only method that has worked. I have seen almost every single person on my mother's side of the family die from the use of tobacco. I know of only one that did not smoke or chew but she was around people breathing second hand smoke her whole life and she died from cancer as well. I don't want to see any of you wind up the way they did. Why in the world would you want to tempt fate? It makes no sense what so ever.

Ok I've rambled enough. Let's all concentrate on our quits. Let the dumb bastards go. They must choose which way they will go. We can cuss and discuss this all day long but in the end only they can decide which way they will go.

Quit on brothers and sisters.

Mike
Well said. Too much nonsense for my taste of late here. Quit with you.
I have control over my quit. There's no luck involved. - Diesel2112

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Erussell

• Quit Pro
  • Quit Date: 2013-04-30
  • Interests: Time with daughter. Anything outdoors.
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2013, 06:22:00 AM »
Wow powerful words and true Mike. While a lot of people joining get it right away, in my short time I have noticed how close some get to understanding the site but miss it, sad part is that is like a heart attack victim making it to the HP but refusing to go inside. What is frustrating is that you know you can't make everyone see the light, but you know how wonderful the warmth of that light is and if you could only get them to step in with you for just a moment....then damn it they turn away. You hang in there, there are folks like myself who look up to you and your quit man. I quit with you every day!

Razd I'll take option one, if I read correctly on this site its also the more likely option to lengthen life span. Well said Razd!
I would rather lose to a cheater than win as a cheater.