Author Topic: I quit, or have I?  (Read 4899 times)

Offline FkSkoal

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2014-07-31
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: I quit, or have I?
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2014, 03:43:00 PM »
Quote from: R34P3R
I know I am breaching into some subject matter that may be bad for alot of people. If there is a better place to do this, or a way to put a warning label on it please tell me how.
Honestly, who gives a fuck if you offend someone who is weak-minded enough to explode on someone from behind a computer screen for asking a legitimate question? Some people are so soft, my god.

Listen man, this site is good for posting roll to keep you on track with your quit. Other than that, you won't find much room for discussion.

And believe me, if a warning label were enough- none of us would be on this site anyways. We all clearly ignored the big label saying THIS PRODUCT WILL KILL YOU every time we opened a tin.
Habits begin as cobwebs and end up as chains.
"The only thing standing between you and your goal is the bullshit story you keep telling yourself as to why you can't achieve it." -Jordan Belfort

Offline R34P3R

« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2014, 03:37:00 PM »
Thank you FKSkoal. I have moved the inconsiderate part of my introduction down to my third post, so it is a little less likely to damage the casual viewer who should not be introduced to moderation as they have enough of a struggle as it is.

However I don't plan on removing it, as while I may be part of a small minority, the questions and discussion I am posting are what some people really need. My posts were written in a respectful manner, before you go saying I am disrespectful keep your own offensive and obscene post in check. It would have been one thing to mention you thought that it was inappropriate, and directed me to a better place to post that. Please keep things civil.

If I am ever going to quit completely, I need to be convinced in a logical manner by people that have an open mind that not everyone has the same experience. There really are people who don't have addictive personalities. I don't respond well to people just telling me what to do. If you can convince me, then you now have an argument against every fellow that says "oh Im not addicted", or the rebilous teenager who does it just because people tell him not to who thinks he is special and is one of the rare exceptions. And also, it will be one more big thing for you to lean on your self, for if these questions ever cross your mind, rather then avoiding it, now you also have the answers I am looking for.

I know I am breaching into some subject matter that may be bad for alot of people. If there is a better place to do this, or a way to put a warning label on it please tell me how.

Offline Benjo

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2014-10-11
  • Interests: Well, there's no acceptable way to say goodbye here. You're either all in, or get out. I'm checking out. I do appreciate having a bunch of quitters to shoot the shit with, to distract each other from difficulty and share encouragement. Those of you who stay and pay it forward are better than I for doing so. I do congratulate all of you for finding the strength to quit and the toughness to stay quit. Stay strong. Stay quit.I just don't feel net positive from the time I spend here, and I don't feel like the KTC system itself has any bearing on my quit. That's not to say it doesn't work if you invest in it, but y'all have known since day one I believe I can do this myself. I've got family and friends I'm accountable to. I've been enjoying every single day of not having to feed an addiction. Even that first week, I loved being able to say no. I'm all in for improving my health and not making stupid choices.I'm going to continue to say no to nicotine for the rest of my life. You do the same. All the best. Ben.P.S. Fuck Marty Barrington.
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2014, 03:35:00 PM »
Here's how I look at moderation, honestly.

I think if I was in a pre-industrial society, like the Native Americans, right? They grew tobacco, and used it for special occasions. Addiction seems to have been pretty rare. I think I might be able to use tobacco responsibly in that scenario.

But in this society where there are huge corporations making sure that neatly packaged tobacco is available on every corner, and with additives to make sure it's as addictive as possible, and with a brain that's already become accustomed to unlimited use, it's impossible for me to sustainably be anything between an actively using addict and a formerly using addict.

None of us know your brain. Maybe you could use and quit and use and quit for however long and "get away with it".

But really, what's the upside? Go for a run instead.
"If you are hoping, you aint quitting. Quitting is a lot more of a sure thing than hoping and trying." -Bronc

Each cue driven crave episode presents an opportunity to extinguish additional conditioning and reclaim another aspect of life.

Offline FkSkoal

• Quitter
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2014, 03:27:00 PM »
Quote from: Smeds
To come in here, knowing full well that this is a QUIT site (not a moderation site) and try to have a conversation about the very thing we warn all addicts about (you can have just one) is bullshit. I understand it doesn't have a grip on you (yet). You damn well better realize the grip it has on almost everyone here fighting for their lives every day. To come in here and talk about moderation is akin to coming into an AA meeting and discussing having "just one" beer. Knock . it . the . fuck . off.

Show some respect, or GTFO. There is one thing that is for DAMN sure here ... it's not a site for moderation.

If you can, realize my stance carries some venom because your question is self-centered and does not consider the effects it may have. Also, unregistered guests come here, and have the ability to read your intro, especially with links in it that lead to the wrong mindset!. The last fucking thing I want someone with a horrible addiction to read is "do you think I could use in moderation"?

'finger point' 'Finger'
I wish there was a way to link/hashtag @grizzlyhasclaws to this thread. Because this is exactly the douchebag, cultlike mentality that I'm talking about. Keeps people like me and others who have different viewpoints out of in-depth (or lack thereof) discussion and strictly to roll-posting.

The moment you even BRING UP questions of trophy tins, moderation, social media, etc. you get run off the site. Fucking babies. It's tantamount to ripping down every Skoal ad you see at every gas station and then blowing up the gas station because of YOUR addiction.
"The only thing standing between you and your goal is the bullshit story you keep telling yourself as to why you can't achieve it." -Jordan Belfort

Offline R34P3R

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2014, 03:22:00 PM »
It was self centered. I came here looking for support I could not find elsewhere, with no regard for others. I needed it. My impression from the site was this was the place to come to find that. With that In mind I will edit my initial post to not include that part because it is unfair to people who are struggling.

Support for me has never been about encouragement, or listening to close minded organizations who only give the facts that support their argument and ignore the rest. Support for me comes with philosophical discussion and debate. I came here either looking for a wakeup call to get me to commit to quitting completely, or to find some information about moderation I could not find elsewhere. I did need help getting through the night, anti tobbaco websites are useless to me as it is to one sided and refuses to explore the more complicated and unique scenarios, I cant go to friends because A. its still something I keep private, and B. my friends don't have the experience or knowledge in the matter to give really useful info, I would either get "yea you should probably stop", or "eh, I know you have good self control, just keep it in check." I so far can not find information regarding my questions, so I came to the people who know how bad it can be first hand and and wont sugar coat it, but hopefully would be willing to talk with an open mind.

Maybe this is not the place for it, but I can not find anywhere else to go to. I have quit, if its going to stay that way, I need help, and help for me and a few others is logical and practical convincing.

Thank you all for your replies, I did get some of the info I was looking for. I apologize if I did unnecessary damage, I am still here watching, and will respond to those who want to further the discussion, and I may indeed come here looking for the traditional support to stay quit in the future.

Offline Benjo

• Quitter
  • Interests: Well, there's no acceptable way to say goodbye here. You're either all in, or get out. I'm checking out. I do appreciate having a bunch of quitters to shoot the shit with, to distract each other from difficulty and share encouragement. Those of you who stay and pay it forward are better than I for doing so. I do congratulate all of you for finding the strength to quit and the toughness to stay quit. Stay strong. Stay quit.I just don't feel net positive from the time I spend here, and I don't feel like the KTC system itself has any bearing on my quit. That's not to say it doesn't work if you invest in it, but y'all have known since day one I believe I can do this myself. I've got family and friends I'm accountable to. I've been enjoying every single day of not having to feed an addiction. Even that first week, I loved being able to say no. I'm all in for improving my health and not making stupid choices.I'm going to continue to say no to nicotine for the rest of my life. You do the same. All the best. Ben.P.S. Fuck Marty Barrington.
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2014, 03:17:00 PM »
He knows it's bad for him and that he shouldn't take it up again. He's not here advocating for moderation, just looking for someone to support the smart part of his mind that knows he's better off not using.

But yeah Reaper, do take into account the weaknesses we all have. It's rude to link to shit about moderation here, whether or not it's applicable to a certain percentage of the population, we've all learned it's not applicable to us.
"If you are hoping, you aint quitting. Quitting is a lot more of a sure thing than hoping and trying." -Bronc

Each cue driven crave episode presents an opportunity to extinguish additional conditioning and reclaim another aspect of life.

Offline Thumblewort

• Epic Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2014-04-04
  • Interests: Steel Panther, Lions football, Deathmatch Wreslting, Ultra Violent horror movies, feeding the people in my basement pit.
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2014, 03:08:00 PM »
Quote from: Smeds
To come in here, knowing full well that this is a QUIT site (not a moderation site) and try to have a conversation about the very thing we warn all addicts about (you can have just one) is bullshit. I understand it doesn't have a grip on you (yet). You damn well better realize the grip it has on almost everyone here fighting for their lives every day. To come in here and talk about moderation is akin to coming into an AA meeting and discussing having "just one" beer. Knock . it . the . fuck . off.

Show some respect, or GTFO. There is one thing that is for DAMN sure here ... it's not a site for moderation.

If you can, realize my stance carries some venom because your question is self-centered and does not consider the effects it may have. Also, unregistered guests come here, and have the ability to read your intro, especially with links in it that lead to the wrong mindset!. The last fucking thing I want someone with a horrible addiction to read is "do you think I could use in moderation"?

'finger point' 'Finger'
Smeds nailed it, and I'll repeat the theme of my previous post. Would you inject yourself with heroin in moderation? Why not? Nicotine is just as addictive.

You are looking for permission to use chewing tobacco from nicotine addicts, think about that. Either quit, or leave this site.
Some of my fondest and clearest memories are peeing in places that aren't bathrooms.

Offline Smeds

• Master of Quit
  • The bluebird can sing, but the crow's got the soul
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2014, 02:54:00 PM »

'finger point' 'Finger'
My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.

Offline FkSkoal

• Quitter
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2014, 02:07:00 PM »
This is a forum for addicts who are committed to keeping dip out of their lives at all times, no matter what. So you should be able to figure out relatively easily that the responses you get will follow suit.

Brain chemistry is a funny thing. That's why there are social drinkers and there are raging alcoholics. Being a dip addict might as well be compared to being an alcoholic, but it's not talked about in the same light because when you dip you don't get behind a car and kill someone. You just kill yourself. A lot more slowly.

I am not a fundamentalist. I do recognize that not everyone's brain chemistry is the same. That's why there is clinical depression and there's people who just get sad when sad situations arise.

That being said, you've done a good job of being a moderate dipper so far. But why run the risk of allowing it to slowly become your thing? Sometimes it is hard to tell if a substance is evolving into your drug of choice because of mission creep. But only you can be the one to answer that truthfully.

Offline starr_78

• Quitter
  • Interests: Way too much football, golf, real wrestling not pro, and hockey. I like to go pheasant hunting and shooting all sorts of guns. Cooking and eating are two more big hobbies of mine haha.
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2014, 02:06:00 PM »
The tender age of 13 is a time when children take their first step toward adulthood. ItÂ’s also a time when anything seems possible and consequences are not yet a priority in making decisions.

Gruen Von Behren probably never could have fathomed that the choice he was about to make one night while camping with friends would have irreversible consequences.

One of GruenÂ’s friends offered him some snuff that night, and he accepted.
“I liked it. I liked the way tobacco made me feel. I liked the way tobacco tasted,” he said.
Chewing tobacco was nothing more than a game at first, Gruen said, a game to see who could fit the biggest chew in their mouth, and who could hold it there the longest. Gruen said that he and his friends would see who would get sick from the tobacco, tease them for getting sick and then entice them to use more.

“Here chew this. Now throw up. Blah,” Gruen said mimicking a puking noise. “Here, chew more, you idiot.”
What started as a game quickly became an addiction, but no one could have known how quickly the addiction would create cancer in GruenÂ’s body.

“Halfway through my junior year of high school, after only using tobacco for three years, I noticed a white spot developing on the side of my tongue where I’d been holding my dip in my lip,” he said. “I thought it was going to go away. Well, in nine months this white spot didn’t go away, and what started out as the size of the tip of a pencil had grown completely through my tongue.
“Cancer split my tongue in half. I could take the tip of my tongue, pull it over and expose the whole tumor,” he said.

Gruen hid the cancer from his mother. At night after his family went to sleep he would look at his tongue in the mirror and talk to God.
“God, why are you doing this to me? I haven’t been a bad kid,” he said. “No worse than Mark or Phil who were also my age and using tobacco. Why is this happening to me, God? Make it go away. I’m scared.”

GruenÂ’s mom began questioning him about his slurred speech, drooling and inability to keep food in his mouth.
“I said, ‘Ah, mom, it’s no big deal. It’s just my wisdom teeth coming in. Once they come through I’ll be fine,’” Gruen said.
Without a doctorÂ’s diagnosis, Gruen knew what he had and knew what had to be done, but fear kept him quiet.

“I was 17 years old, and my tongue was split in half by one of the most deadly diseases known to man. The only way they could fix that was by cutting off half of my tongue,” Gruen said. “The thought of what they were going to do to me during the procedure scared me to death. I was petrified. I was a healthy kid until then. I never had a cavity in my mouth.”
His mom was his best friend, and although he didnÂ’t like lying to her, he thought the truth would hurt her more.
“The thought of having to tell her that I was sick with this disease, and hurting my mother that way — I couldn’t do that,” he said. “I couldn’t hurt my mom.”
The justification that by using tobacco products, the only person being hurt is the user is not true, Gruen said.
“People don’t realize how many people they do hurt when they become sick by something like this,” he said.
GruenÂ’s mom became so concerned about the slurred speech and other problems that Gruen was having that she tricked him into going to the dentist. She still believed that it was his wisdom teeth that were bothering him, but GruenÂ’s secret was about to be exposed.
“One day she said she was going to take me shopping so we hopped into the car, and we were driving down the road and my mom drove right past the mall,” he said. “I said, ‘What are you doing woman? Right there was the mall. Are you losing your mind in your old age?’” However, his mom knew right where she was going.

“She pulled in at the doctor’s office. She pulled into a parking spot, got out of the car and with a tear in her eye she looked at me and said, ‘Damn it, Gruen, I didn’t want to bring you here today. I know you’re slobbering on yourself, you can’t talk, and you can’t eat. I know you’re hurting, son,’” Gruen said.
The appointment was to pull his wisdom teeth, and Gruen had to confess what was really wrong soon after sitting in the dentistÂ’s chair.
“The doctor walked me to my room. He picked up the gas mask. He said five words to me, and here he comes to put me to sleep,” Gruen said. “I said, ‘Wait a minute.’”

Gruen admitted to the dentist and his mother that the problem wasnÂ’t his wisdom teeth, but cancer. It only took a quick look by the dentist to confirm that it was cancer.

“I never saw my mother cry like that,” he said. “Not only had I hurt myself, but I hurt her, too.”
From the beginning, since Gruen had squamous cell carcinoma, he was given a 75 percent chance that the cancer would kill him — not very good odds to a 17-year-old.

People donÂ’t realize how serious oral cancer is, Gruen said. He said to think about how close the mouth is to the spine and the brain.
“Once it hits one of these two places, it’s checkout time,” he said.
The road since the cancer was confirmed has been long and devastating, but Gruen lived through it to tell his tale. In fact, that is exactly what he does now.

Gruen is a national spokesperson for Oral Health AmericaÂ’s National Spit Tobacco Education Program (NSTEP). Oral Health AmericaÂ’s mission is to increase public awareness of oral healthÂ’s importance to total health, and NSTEP was created to educate people about the dangers of spit tobacco use.

“With my job, I travel throughout the United States. I talk to kids. I talk to doctors and lawyers,” Gruen said. “I talk to different professional athletes about the dangers of tobacco use. I do MTV, ESPN, so a lot of very important people take what I have to say to heart.”

Tobacco companies donÂ’t target current users, Gruen said. Current users are already addicted. Tobacco companies are recruiting kids to step up and become their new customers. While there were plenty of messages about how using tobacco was cool, Gruen said that there werenÂ’t messages about the consequences.

“When I was 13 years old and had never used tobacco, nobody showed me a picture of this,” Gruen said indicating toward his face. “Nobody told me that this is what cancer was. Nobody told me that cancer meant 33 surgeries. They didn’t tell me that it meant thousands of treatments.”

Gruen said that he was an innocent kid who was victimized by big tobacco companies. Gruen now uses his experience as a way to reach people and let them know the dangers that tobacco companies seem to omit in their advertisements. After all, death and cancer are not the most attractive selling points.

“Tobacco is the only product in the United States today — the only product that is sold over the counter that if you use it as it is directed to use it, it will kill you.”

Smoking is just as dangerous, Gruen said.
“I know a lot of people who look just like this who smoke.”
GruenÂ’s slurred speech is a constant reminder to him of the price he paid to chew tobacco, but he hopes it will also be a reminder to other people.

“I know that I’m hard to understand. I’ve had 33 surgeries to my mouth and to my neck. They took out half of my tongue because of the cancer that I had. Not everything that I say comes out just how I want it to, and I apologize for that,” he said. “If you listen closely I think you’ll get my message here today.”

Through the surgeries, Gruen has had bone removed from his back and leg as well as muscle from his chest in attempt to help repair some of the damage left by the cancer. In April, he is scheduled for yet another surgery.
Now at 27, Gruen said that he is just an ordinary guy, but his persistence in sharing his story in attempt to help save other people is inspirational. Besides being the national spokesperson for Oral Health America, heÂ’s also recently been contracted out by the NCAA.
Gruen said that he loves to travel and speak to audiences about the dangers of tobacco so that they can make an educated decision.
“If somebody would have come to me when I was 13, looking like this, and told me that tobacco did that to them — I know in my heart I would have taken a different path in life,” he said. Tobacco use and cancer turned out to be his path in life instead, but Gruen hasn’t let it hold him back.

“I don’t really see this as a limitation,” he said. “I really think I took a bad thing and made the best out of it I can.”
Besides educating other people about tobacco, Gruen has also taken time for educating himself. He has a degree in nursing, although considering all the time heÂ’s spent in hospitals from his surgeries, heÂ’s not sure if thatÂ’s something he will pursue further.
For the future, Gruen plans to continue educating people for as long as he can so that other people might not take the same path that he did.

“I’m (traveling) out in America and talk to kids every day because of this — because of the passion and the caring that I have for people. My life has been ruined because of something that I used to put in my lip,” Gruen said. “I put it in my lip because I was so naïve of the dangers. I did not know how dangerous this product was.”

That's why we are all quit and this is not something that is "ok" with moderation.

Offline Benjo

• Quitter
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2014, 02:02:00 PM »
Not really, I started as a strongly anti-smoking guy who was OK with an occasional cigar with the guys, but I'd been a daily smoker for a couple years at that point. I just knew less about what having an addiction meant. I wasn't ever really even pretending I was quitting for good, just that I was still in charge.

I put it down for six months just to prove to myself I was more of a badass than tobacco and any other drug (quit everything but caffeine). I felt great. I took like twenty-seven credit hours that spring, got A's in all but one class. Then, I brought my pipe (pretentious, yeah, I know) and a bag of tobacco with me to my last exam, cause I thought that now that I'd established I was in control, my life was better as a smoker. Then the year after that I decided I wanted to quit, and couldn't. Got hooked on dip as a replacement for most of my smoking.

Ten years, thousands of dollars, a lot of embarrassment, unknown damage to my body, later, I'm getting control back. For good this time.

Offline R34P3R

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2014, 01:33:00 PM »
The message I'm getting is that I've only been lucky so far that it has not become a habit, and I only get so many dips(or trigger pulls) before bam, my brain just clicks over from the rare "hey buzz is nice" to "I need that stuff, and stopping has become hell"

Thanks for all the replies, I'm not here to discourage people, I have already quit so that's not what I am here for. I had a moment of weakness, and needed some support to get through the night, thank you everyone who gave it to me.

READ THE FOLLOWING ONLY IF YOU ARE CONFIDENT THAT TALKING ABOUT CONTINUED TOBACCO USE WILL NOT BREAK YOUR EFFORTS SO FAR.

I really am against the use o the stuff, and really agree with and admire all the quitters here. Im not trying to encourage it, but I would like to discuss the concept of moderation. I am a logical guy, I like to explore things from all angles without prejudice.  And this is the only place I have ever found that has people with enough first hand experience to perhaps actually answer these questions.

I am honestly hoping that someone will tell me that hey "all good things in moderation". Now I know this is supposed to be a website to support people quitting, and I probably should not bring this question here as it could give people trying to quit an excuse to break and mess up on their decision, but its the main reason I am here. Is it really that bad to use the stuff with heavy moderation? Would it really be that bad if I went and grabbed a can to get me through the week as long as I dropped it again for many months after that?

Benjo, you said you gave it up in college, was your story similar to mine? You didn't need it, so you lost interest. Or was it a decision to quit that you didn't stick to in the long run?

While I have never been a big user, where a 2 cans every 6 months was the norm. Until this recent 6 month quit where I actually labeled it that, I followed this guys philosophy 
http://everydaysystems.com/lowsmoking/
I wish I could find information that would tell me whether very low moderate use is fine, akin to drinking a soda, or having a beer. But because a situation without regular use, self control, and addiction seem so rare I just can't find info on it. Is there anyone here who started like that, and stayed that way for years as I have? I like to think since I have maintained this for years, that I am playing with a gun that only has a blank round in it. Is there someone with a story like mine that can show me that the gun is always loaded?

Offline jeeptruck

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2014-06-23
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2014, 11:38:00 AM »
Quote from: wastepanel
Nicotine is one of the most addictive substances on this planet. You are no different than anybody else.
and itll kill you. no shit, itll really kill you til your dead. come on in and drink the cool aide
HOF Date 9/30/2014 in the October Titans group

so what my quit dates in September and im in the Ocotber HOF group? that makes me a SuliTan
"Youll never regret staying quit, youll always regret caving"- Nolaq
"That's like putting a bolt back into a machine without never seizing it.... Your just fucking the next guy. " - Jake_M
"Hipsters don't even know which end of the Hammer to hold" - Bronc

2nd Floor: Jan 8 2015

Offline wastepanel

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Fuck you guys.
    • Scaretissue.com
  • Likes Given: 21
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2014, 09:43:00 AM »
Nicotine is one of the most addictive substances on this planet. You are no different than anybody else.
In the end I Surrender, I and I alone accept that I have and always will have a Nicotene ADDICTION. It is my choice to quit, but I can't do it alone. I get to go down this path one time, I want to do it right. I recognize that my word, my integrety to you is on the line and is only as good as my actions. Caving is not an option in this plan-Eafman 7/11

I am not cured. I will quit one day at a time. I will continue to do what works. Posting roll everyday. To do otherwise would be foolish on my part. You can do this-Ready 12/11

To overcome your addiction you must comprehend what it means to fail-Razd 3/12

Theres a lot of people that come here, especially vets, that WANT to be reminded that they are addicts.-Tarpon 6/12

Just as a building starts with architectural drawings. Your daily quit begins with a promise.-Scowick 2/13

Here and now, focused on today, minute by minute, whatever it takes, I promise to all my bros and myself not to become a negative stat and stay quit!-krok 1/15

I want everyone to be quit. Even the assholes.-Probe1957 1/18

Ignoring history or erasing history fixes nothing and leads you inevitably down the same path.-69franx 04/30/2021

Offline jeeptruck

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2014-06-23
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2014, 09:35:00 AM »
Don't use. just don't do it. look at the pictures and some of these stories on here. is it really worth it? FUCK NOOOOOO. and take it from every addict here save yourself. Thumble was right, its like playing with a loaded gun. Its worse though because cancer is very slow and painful.

but on the positive if you need help this IS the place for you.
HOF Date 9/30/2014 in the October Titans group

so what my quit dates in September and im in the Ocotber HOF group? that makes me a SuliTan
"Youll never regret staying quit, youll always regret caving"- Nolaq
"That's like putting a bolt back into a machine without never seizing it.... Your just fucking the next guy. " - Jake_M
"Hipsters don't even know which end of the Hammer to hold" - Bronc

2nd Floor: Jan 8 2015