Author Topic: On my way to freedom  (Read 2427 times)

Offline RWM

• Quitter
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: On my way to freedom
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2010, 01:21:00 PM »
Quote from: vmadman
I've just spent some time reading around the forums.

You guys really are awesome. I dont mean to be disagreeable, you guys totally know what you're doing. I will keep you posted of my progress.

Thanks,
Luke
Luke - it's about 10% physical and 90% mental to quit. It feels like you have your plan and focus. I picked my time, prep'ed for how to handle the cravings and hit the quit hard and strong. I was able to fight thru the phyisical and then focus on the mental. Finding this site, reading, having fake stuff, exercise and prayer has kept me going day by day.

Quit for you and focus your energy into that quit. If you want the next few days to get yourself ready, then do it. BUT once you quit, post up, keep your word.

I'm beating a 30 year habit day by day. Today is day 100 for me. Today I continue my quit.

If you need a contact, send me a PM. I look forward to quiting with you in a few days.

Rob
Quit Date: 6/14/10 Hof Date: 9/21/10

My HOF Speech

Philippians 4:6 - Don?t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done.

Offline vmadman

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2010, 12:45:00 PM »
I've just spent some time reading around the forums.

You guys really are awesome. I dont mean to be disagreeable, you guys totally know what you're doing. I will keep you posted of my progress.

Thanks,
Luke

Offline vmadman

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2010, 12:37:00 PM »
I've quit cold turkey before and came right back 4 months later. Tried the gum, all of that crap, nothing works.
But seriously, Chantix is for weak people.
Maybe.. I'm not doing this to prove a point, I just want to be rid of the tobacco.

So far, no Chantix side effects. I feel what you guys are sayin, in my previous attempts I didnt do the "quit day" shit and just went around throwing away dip.

My grandmother was diagnosed with Cancer (Small cell carcinoma of the lungs) a few years back. A few days ago she was elevated to stage 4, its spread, and their "strategy" has changed from cure to "quality of life".

I will quit this time. Chantix is already making me want less dip. If any side effects kick in I will let you guys know.

I appreciate the feedback, and your tips arent being ignored... but with Chantix I've already decided to give it a shot, and more importantly, I've already invested. So far, so good.

Thanks,
Luke

Offline DizzyDude

• Quitter
  • Interests: Bicycling, Freemasonry, Golf, Wood Working, Skiing, Quitting
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2010, 10:26:00 AM »
V-Man,

There is a lot of quit experience here providing you some very good council. Consider it all very seriously because these vets know from experience what it takes to be quit.

Would you please do me favor though? Please read this and when your done answer me one question.

What does 9/24 give you to ensure a successful quit that you don't have NOW?

Quit Date : 9/2/10
HOF : 12/10/10

"Quit or Quit Not. There is no try."

Offline redtrain14

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Interests: Family, hunting, fishing, running, mountain biking, swimming, building shit, and anything else that sounds like fun.
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 09:40:00 AM »
v-man

I never took chantix. But from a common sense point of view, I experienced many of the same side effects during the early stages of my quit. Does chantix compound these effects. I don't know, I'm not a scientist, but why risk it? What if it is compounding it?

The sooner you can get away from nicotine the sooner it will out of your system, chantix or not.

Think about it bro.

Offline brianl

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quit Pro
  • Interests: NOT DIPPING!!!!!Family, Friends, Concerts and supporting the Boston Teams!
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 08:58:00 AM »
Hi everyone,

My name is Luke and I'm quitting dip.

I have been seriously considering quitting dipping and smoking for the past few years. I started smoking when I was 11, on a dare, and the dares came for just long enough for it to become cool. After the cool phase, it became sociable, and then settled into behavioral.

Dipping was the result of my hometown being in Alabama and the increasingly difficult ventures to smoke at school without getting caught.

Fifteen years later, I say hello you to guys.

I started Chantix 4-5 days ago, and its really helping. Cravings are down, and I get less and less enjoyment out of dipping and smoking. My official quit date is the 24th, in accordance with Chantix's guidelines.

I will check back here on that day and begin my journey, hopefully with others who share my plight.

Thanks,
Luke
Luke,

I was on Chantix as well for just a week and had to throw it in the dumpster. It was fucking me up big time. How does it help with cravings when your dipping at the same time????
I did the nic gum and lozenge also, always came back to the tin of skoal.

COLD TURKEY BROTHER!!

However, it's your decision. If you stick to the med plan then I look forward to hearing from you on the 24th.

Brian

Offline Nolaq

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 07:54:00 AM »
Hi everyone,

I have been seriously considering quitting dipping and smoking for the past few years. I started smoking when I was 11, on a dare, and the dares came for just long enough for it to become cool. After the cool phase, it became sociable, and then settled into behavioral.

Dipping was the result of my hometown being in Alabama and the increasingly difficult ventures to smoke at school without getting caught.

I started Chantix 4-5 days ago, and its really helping. Cravings are down, and I get less and less enjoyment out of dipping and smoking. My official quit date is the 24th, in accordance with Chantix's guidelines.

I will check back here on that day and begin my journey, hopefully with others who share my plight.

Thanks,
Luke
Hey Luke. I took Chantix too. My advice is to stop wasting your money on it, stop taking it, and dump your can as soon as you finish reading this sentence.

The Chantix will work a little for cravings, but the side effects are fucked. I had insane dreams. I was sleepwalking. It was bad.

Chantix says to take the first week of meds and continue your tobacco use, I understand. But seriously, Chantix is for weak people.

You can do this. We are all proof. Read, read, read, read. The plan here is simple:

1. Post roll in the morning.
2. Keep your promise not to use nicotine all day.
3. Repeat.

It's simple, but not easy. If you dump your can RIGHT NOW you will be nic free on Sept 24, and will be posting a Day 4. Doesn't that sound better than following the directions of a drug company?

Fuck it man, you can do it.
What is your major malfunction?!?!?!?!

Offline davenc

• Quitter
    • www.its-s.net
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 07:39:00 AM »
Hi everyone,

Thanks,
Luke
I understand that the medicine has instructions for quitting but you will find that everyone here believes in just cold turkey quitting. Its worked for myself and countless others. Just think if you quit all nicotine today it will all be out of your system by the 24th. Why prolong that? After 3 days the nicotine is out of your system and it becomes a mental thing and your body begins healing.

Dave
Quit with extreme prejudice...
My orders say I'm not supposed to know where I'm taking this quit, so I don't! But one look at you and I know its gonna be hot!

QD: 07/28/2010
HOF: 11/04/2010
2nd Floor: 02/12/2011
3rd Floor: 05/23/2011
1 Year: 07/27/2011
4th Floor: 08/31/2011
5th Floor: 12/09/2011
6th Floor: 03/18/2012
7th Floor: 06/26/2012

Offline vmadman

On my way to freedom
« on: September 21, 2010, 06:09:00 AM »
Hi everyone,

Thanks,
Luke