Author Topic: Let's Roll  (Read 1939 times)

Offline seagems

• Quitter
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Let's Roll
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 05:01:00 PM »
Turner, you can do this, and it will be the best thing you ever do for yourself. 20 years of kodiak here and I had the same feelings going into the quit as you. Time will fly as you rid yourself of this addiction. Maybe not at the start - so take those days one day at a time only, just get through the day you are in - but they will fly very soon. I am on day 202 now and I don't even think about kodiak or chewing or cravings any more. I can look myself in the mirror each day now and know that I didn't do anything today to increase my chance of getting cancer or or leaving my wife and four daughters without a husband/dad. It feels good man, and you will be there very soon. I can tell you have right attitude - desire to quit and respect for the addiction. Lean on me if you need anything. I am quit with you brother. One day at a time and you will rid yourself of this addiction.

Offline CollegeKid

• Quitter
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Let's Roll
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 04:51:00 PM »
hey man, going through the same thing. Day 1-3 were a breeze but now on day four the mind games are coming in full force. But I can handle it cause I promised not to use nic today and I will hold my word.

Welcome, this place definitely helps out a lot and pretty much everyone is willing to give some support
"Do not bite at the bait of pleasure till you know there is no hook beneath it." ~Thomas Jefferson

"It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways." ~Buddha

Quit 2/20/12
100 days: 5/30/12

Turner's Revenge

Let's Roll
« on: February 23, 2012, 04:19:00 PM »
Howdy Fellas,

When I woke up last Saturday, I wanted it to be the first day of my nicotine-free life -- a life that, now at age 37, I hadn't experienced since 1990. (Wow, that's a long time . . . and I have to admit, I am damned embarrassed that I never worked up the balls over the last 22 years to completely kick the Copenhagen habit.) Sure, there had been quite a number of false starts over that time, but never the will to make it permanent.

I've played all the games and told myself (and others) all the lies, in my quest to keep my habit alive. Here's the history of my habit: Back when the addition first started, I was a regular Copenhagen man. Stayed with that from about 1990 through 2002. During that time, there was never any serious break; sure, there were periods where I went without, but never anything serious. In 2002, I moved from Texas to what I would call a real "Yankee" city. While there I actually stopped dipping in early 2004. Now, I did occasionally smoke during this period, so its fair to say I never got nicotine free. Sometime in mid-2007 when I'm back in Texas, I told myself a little lie that I would not get "re-hooked" if I dipped pouches. Five years later here I am.

Glad to say I think that has changed now. It is Thursday and I am on my sixth nicotine-free day. Now that this is in gear, I wanted to reach out to this group, start posting roll call, and get in the mix. I really, honestly, am very sick and tired of dipping. I want to be free from it . . . free from the "slave mentality". But I have to say that I am, somewhat, well, scared . . . I think (know) I can do this, but, hell, I was freaking 15 years old the last time I was nicotine free . . . dipping has been a companion of mine for over 60% of my life. As much as that is pathetic, it is, well, a "relationship" in a odd sort of way.

So, I guess what I am saying here, is that I am excited about the future, nervous about the change, and faithful of success.

Looking forward to working through this with y'all,

Turner's Revenge

P.S., One thing before I go: I've been surprised at how intense my cravings have been these past few days. The first three days -- when the nicotine is still in your system -- were a comparative breeze. The armchair shrink in my says that means my "addiction" was always far more mental than physiological. Anyone else experience a trend like this, where your cravings became worse once you were solidly nicotine-free?