Community > Introductions

Oldschool introduction

<< < (16/19) > >>

oldschool:
280 days nicotine free!

2nd floor has been a rough one for me.  Generally speaking, it has been very similar to the road to HOF.  I even had  a week that mimicked my first week of quit.  Had a month of bad anxiety, short temper, and all over shitty feeling.  The best thing about 2nd floor has been the personal growth I’ve noticed despite the challenges presented to me.  I recognized that my withdrawal symptoms where simply that – withdrawal symptoms.  I decided how I was going to feel and act despite being in withdrawal.

For me exercise has been a savior.  I look forward to lifting weights.  Since I am 50 years old, I have found that recovery takes a little longer than it used to.  I only lift twice a week.  If I lift more than that, my progress stalls and my workouts tank.  Supplementing lifting my wife and I do cardio everyday.  We either walk our dog or go for a bike ride.  Some days we even do both!  It has been totally cool connecting with my wife like this.  I think weight lifting and bike riding is a great stimulus for producing dopamine.

Despite exercising as much as I do, I still have gained a lot of weight.  My diet has stayed the same, but I have probably gained 15 pounds.  Some of it has been muscle from lifting, but the majority is fat around my midsection.  At this point, I am chalking it up to stress.  The stress of quitting coupled with the stressful environment of my work is a hard cocktail that produces cortisol.  I see quite a few Vets attacking weight loss.  My plan is to get to a year quit before I really start focusing on losing weight.  I have realized that you can’t fight too many battles, and right now I am primarily fighting to stay quit of nicotine.

I hope this blog might resonate or help a fellow quitter as it has helped me just to reflect on where I have been and think about where I want to go.  Proud to quit with all of you today!

Aumegrad:

--- Quote from: oldschool on June 24, 2019, 01:35:10 PM ---260 days nicotine free!

The last twenty days have been quite a rough patch of time.  The short temper, being on edge, and tougher craves are still pretty consistent.  When I get stressed, I can feel the back of my neck tighten up almost instantly.  I have been on the go with work and family pretty much non-stop.  I know I have been pushing it hard, and this is not good for my addict brain.  One of the most important tenets of my quit has been this:  You can't do too much.  Just focus on quitting nicotine.  Everything else is secondary.

For me, this has always been hard to do.  I set goals.  I achieve goals.  Whether it is in work or life, there is always something....next...a plan for this and that....actions to be completed.  I have always struggled at just enjoying the moment.  Doing nothing for nothing's sake has eluded me.  This is what I need to work on:  How do I relax?  How can I realize in the moment that I am doing too much?  That I am overloading my brain? 

Thanks to all for your support.

--- End quote ---
Geez Rich, one would think you eavesdropped on the discussion my wife and I had last week.  As a very goal oriented person myself, I have also found it difficult to bridge the mental gap between pre and post quit Aumegrad.  I feel like if I just keep my mind busy, I won’t think about nic.  However, this comes at the detriment of other things such as one on one time with family.  I thanked my wife for pointing this out as I have had my head down, just plowing along.  I explained to her that I am still trying to manage my new mental and emotional state, while being a steady husband and father.

All this said, I agree that forcing myself to take a ‘time out’ to smell the roses is necessary.  To just breathe, not worry about tomorrow and focus on today.  And this will be my new goal as I near the 365 threshold.

Our brains have simply been wired for nicotine, mine since 12 years old (39 now).  It will simply take time to fully rewire.  But we can also use this time to fine tune other aspects of our lives.  For me, there are a couple things are for certain: it will continue getting better AND I will never cave ... period! 

Proud to quit with you Rich! 

oldschool:
260 days nicotine free!

The last twenty days have been quite a rough patch of time.  The short temper, being on edge, and tougher craves are still pretty consistent.  When I get stressed, I can feel the back of my neck tighten up almost instantly.  I have been on the go with work and family pretty much non-stop.  I know I have been pushing it hard, and this is not good for my addict brain.  One of the most important tenets of my quit has been this:  You can't do too much.  Just focus on quitting nicotine.  Everything else is secondary.

For me, this has always been hard to do.  I set goals.  I achieve goals.  Whether it is in work or life, there is always something....next...a plan for this and that....actions to be completed.  I have always struggled at just enjoying the moment.  Doing nothing for nothing's sake has eluded me.  This is what I need to work on:  How do I relax?  How can I realize in the moment that I am doing too much?  That I am overloading my brain? 

Thanks to all for your support.

Leonidas:

--- Quote from: Aumegrad on June 04, 2019, 01:30:46 PM ---
--- Quote from: oldschool on June 04, 2019, 12:14:53 PM ---240 days nicotine free!

I have been going through a rather tough time with not only some big craves but some irritability and short temper.  Haven't been this on edge in quite awhile.  Good thing is I have been able to notice it fairly quickly and get it under control.  Another weird quit symptom that I have never had before:  For some strange reason with no apparent trigger I "taste" dip and I start to salivate.  Very strange.  Started happening about the same time I became edgy, etc.  I know my brain is re-wring itself and this is part of the process, but the ebb and tide of good days vs. bad days does get a little tiring.

I am still working on the oral fixation associated with craves.  I have found that I still need to use chewing gum at times.  So be it!  If it keeps me from caving and using nicotine, then spearmint gum it is!

This has been a long hard journey.  Thankful every day I am not putting a dip in my mouth.  Thankful everyday for the help and support I have received from my friends in KTC.  Hopefully I have helped someone in return.

Oldschool.

--- End quote ---
Rich,
I thank you for sharing your journey, reminding us all the process we will be or have already gone thru.  You are correct that this is a long, hard road.  But fact of the matter, it is made much more manageable with quit brothers such as yourself with your daily promise and encouragement.

I may not be great at many things, but I know that I am one hell of a quitter!  The accountability of this site helps to affirm this.

You are crushing your quit and I am proud to be quit with you today.

Aumegrad - 317

--- End quote ---
I remember 205 straight through to about 260 as about my toughest time.
Just remember, never cured...

Aumegrad:

--- Quote from: oldschool on June 04, 2019, 12:14:53 PM ---240 days nicotine free!

I have been going through a rather tough time with not only some big craves but some irritability and short temper.  Haven't been this on edge in quite awhile.  Good thing is I have been able to notice it fairly quickly and get it under control.  Another weird quit symptom that I have never had before:  For some strange reason with no apparent trigger I "taste" dip and I start to salivate.  Very strange.  Started happening about the same time I became edgy, etc.  I know my brain is re-wring itself and this is part of the process, but the ebb and tide of good days vs. bad days does get a little tiring.

I am still working on the oral fixation associated with craves.  I have found that I still need to use chewing gum at times.  So be it!  If it keeps me from caving and using nicotine, then spearmint gum it is!

This has been a long hard journey.  Thankful every day I am not putting a dip in my mouth.  Thankful everyday for the help and support I have received from my friends in KTC.  Hopefully I have helped someone in return.

Oldschool.

--- End quote ---
Rich,
I thank you for sharing your journey, reminding us all the process we will be or have already gone thru.  You are correct that this is a long, hard road.  But fact of the matter, it is made much more manageable with quit brothers such as yourself with your daily promise and encouragement.

I may not be great at many things, but I know that I am one hell of a quitter!  The accountability of this site helps to affirm this.

You are crushing your quit and I am proud to be quit with you today.

Aumegrad - 317

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version