Author Topic: My Name is Joe  (Read 3184 times)

Offline EnuffSnuff

• Quitter
  • What are you waiting for? Quit already!
  • Quit Date: 01/06/19
  • Likes Given: 38
Re: My Name is Joe
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2019, 05:26:31 PM »
Man it’s so much easier to say this not being at day three, but everyone here has been at day three. You’ve got this man, and that’s not some bullshit to make you feel good, but you reallly do. You’re pushing through the roughest days, but you have support that is familiar with the process.
 And check this out, first person to text me digits (Chris2Alaska)I immediately reply back  something like “not my style” “not comfortable” , “ introvert” something like that, and so goes the next three replies to guys offering digits.
 Now I’m the guy pedaling my number to new quitters, hoping for a kickback so I can help out ( its only been 3 weeks). I hear from Chris every day, I talk to April quitters through text every day, I text my boy Croak everyday, and everyday he posts up and texts his support. Mayfly has responded to me in astonishment of my outgoing demeanor now because I tried to shut his social ways down in the beginning (not really an asshole by the way).
 This shit works! Yes roll can burn you, especially when every time you try and post you get a red response. The community though, the brotherhood, the addict/quitter relationships, they work. Jump in brother and be done.

He's absolutely right. I'm a very suspicious/cautious person by nature, but when you buy in that people on this forum are passing #s out with good intentions, it's easy to get over. I pushed my initial weirded-out-ness aside, regarding the whole digits thing, quickly because I knew that I'd likely need someone actively keeping me accountable. That's what this is. It's amazing how strangers making sure that you're honoring your word for the day can really make you stop and think when you hit a craving. We aren't your usual "just quit, it's gross" crowd around here - we're going through it with you. Look around at the vets who've been doing it for 100s of days. THIS. WORKS. IF. YOU. LET. IT. Welcome, Joe, may we stay quit together my friend.

I’m one of those weird guys, and guess what, I text ES and his life goes on. It’s not bad guys. Get over the apprehension and make it work. The connections I’ve made are invaluable.
The only right way to quit is today.

My Intro

Floors Visited...1, 2, 3, 4

Offline ES

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 01-06-2019
  • Likes Given: 140
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2019, 09:26:38 AM »
Man it’s so much easier to say this not being at day three, but everyone here has been at day three. You’ve got this man, and that’s not some bullshit to make you feel good, but you reallly do. You’re pushing through the roughest days, but you have support that is familiar with the process.
 And check this out, first person to text me digits (Chris2Alaska)I immediately reply back  something like “not my style” “not comfortable” , “ introvert” something like that, and so goes the next three replies to guys offering digits.
 Now I’m the guy pedaling my number to new quitters, hoping for a kickback so I can help out ( its only been 3 weeks). I hear from Chris every day, I talk to April quitters through text every day, I text my boy Croak everyday, and everyday he posts up and texts his support. Mayfly has responded to me in astonishment of my outgoing demeanor now because I tried to shut his social ways down in the beginning (not really an asshole by the way).
 This shit works! Yes roll can burn you, especially when every time you try and post you get a red response. The community though, the brotherhood, the addict/quitter relationships, they work. Jump in brother and be done.

He's absolutely right. I'm a very suspicious/cautious person by nature, but when you buy in that people on this forum are passing #s out with good intentions, it's easy to get over. I pushed my initial weirded-out-ness aside, regarding the whole digits thing, quickly because I knew that I'd likely need someone actively keeping me accountable. That's what this is. It's amazing how strangers making sure that you're honoring your word for the day can really make you stop and think when you hit a craving. We aren't your usual "just quit, it's gross" crowd around here - we're going through it with you. Look around at the vets who've been doing it for 100s of days. THIS. WORKS. IF. YOU. LET. IT. Welcome, Joe, may we stay quit together my friend.
My Intro |My HOF Speech | April 2019 The BMF'ers of Quit

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Freedom Day: 1/6/19     HOF: 4/15/19     2nd Floor: 7/24/19     3rd Floor: 11/1/19     1 Year: 1/6/20     4th Floor: 2/9/20     5th Floor: 5/19/20     6th Floor: 8/27/20     7th Floor: 12/5/20     2 Years: 1/6/21     8th Floor: 3/15/21     9th Floor: 6/23/21     10th Floor/Comma Club: 10/1/21     ODAAT Toward:     3 Years: 1/6/22

Offline Hilltop

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quitter
  • Quit Date: 12-27-18
  • Likes Given: 290
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2019, 10:51:05 PM »
“It worked!”
 -Robert Oppenheimer

Offline Athan

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • Addict
  • Quit Date: January 1 2018
  • Interests: GodFamilyCountry
  • Likes Given: 1669
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2019, 04:53:54 PM »
You can do this Joe!!  I did that crap for 35 years and enough is enough.  We just have to quit today.  We will not worry about tomorrow.  Get on roll and then keep your word.  I will send you my number. Use it as you need it. 

Proud to be quit with you today!!

Brian
I cringe reading about the inability to focus.  I was there brother.  Stuck on the same paragraph in the Code of Federal Regulations for a few hours; I simply could not comprehend what I was readings.  It brought on a full blown anxiety attack.  But I didn't roll solo.  I blogged it out here.  Within the hour I had calls and texts from four different folks checking on me (vets and guys in my group).
Brotherhood + Accountability = success.  That and one day at a time. 
Educate yourself on the addiction - it's bigger and more insidious than a lot of people realize. There's some links in my signature for starters.
Knowledge is power, ignorance is terribly expensive.
digits in your inbox
IQWYT
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 04:55:44 PM by Athan »
"I hope you find a thousand reasons to quit today" Rawls
"I can't quit for you. I will quit with you" Ready
"There are two dogs in the fight, which one are you feeding?" SuperDave9000
"In the Navy we had morning muster. You never miss muster. You better be dead if you miss. If you are dying, you should have started crawling earlier, no excuse." Olcpo

The Science of Addiction
The Law of Addiction
The Road Called Recovery
My Intro and HOF Speech
Quitters I've met: Cbird, UncleRico, Gregor, KDip, Broccoli-saurus, Croakenhagen, BriagG, Koba, Kodiakdeath, Arrakisdq, McDave, Worktowin, SkolVikings, JGromo, GS9502, PaDutchman, Stillbrewing, A-Aron...
wildirish317
outdoortexan cancer

Offline BrianG

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quit Pro
  • “Brotherhood is born in adversity.”
  • Quit Date: 17 JAN 2017
  • Likes Given: 123
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2019, 02:52:32 PM »
You can do this Joe!!  I did that crap for 35 years and enough is enough.  We just have to quit today.  We will not worry about tomorrow.  Get on roll and then keep your word.  I will send you my number. Use it as you need it. 

Proud to be quit with you today!!

Brian
He who has a why can bear almost any how.

Offline chris2alaska

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quit King
  • I Love the Smell of Quit in the Morning
  • Quit Date: January 18, 2018 - Proud Member of the April 2018 Kings and Queen of Quit
  • Interests: Hunting, Fishing, Four-Wheeling, NASCAR, Golf
  • Likes Given: 1616
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2019, 01:36:54 PM »
I could lie and say that I'm happy to be here.  I want a pinch of snuff so bad it pisses me off at times.  It comes in waves.  I ate a whole bag of Hersey's Drops yesterday because I couldn't scratch what was itching.  My mind will not focus on shit.  I can't get my job (Network/Systems Administrator) done.  I just want to sleep, but when bed time comes I can't.  Fuck me.

Thats just the nic trying to convince you to get back together.  But you already broke up right?  Hell, I had some pretty good craves last night and was raging a bit because of assholes at work so it will come and go even when you're weeks out.  Just stay the course, fill your mouth with whatever the hell you want, except nic. 

Early in my quit, I would come and hang out on ktc all the time.  Even had it up in the background at work.  It made me feel pretty good to read a bit here and there about quitters successes.  First came the craves, then the fog, the rage, the insomnia, and sometimes all of them rolled up in a big fuck you sandwich.  It will just take time to undo what we did to ourselves by using all these years. Trust me, the clouds will part around day 7-10 and you will feel like a rockstar.   

I'm still quit so far though.  Day 3 is here and will be gone soon enough.  I'm posting roll (though I feel that process needs a revamp as it makes trying to follow along a complete pain in the ass) in April and appreciate those fellas so far.  I've seen every PM sent and although I haven't replied to any, please know that they've been read more than once.  Right now, texting/giving my number to a random dude seems weird, but I'll remain active here.

I'm already an asshole and this suck sure isn't making it any better.  Any extra help here would be much appreciated it.

I too, am an asshole.. haha.. The first week isn't easy at all, that's why so many fail.  I think we've had 2 quitters that have gone missing so far.  All you have to do is post roll early Every Damn Day and make your promise to the group to be nic free for that day.  You already made your choice for the day that you are quit and you make it to the next day.  I highly suggest you branch out and build some accountability with some quitters in April but vets also.  Sometimes, we just need a kick in the ass to be reminded what were doing here and I like that life line.  Anyways, you have my number, when you're ready I expect a text to see how you're doing.

Joe,

I get that you feel weird about giving your number out to strangers from the internet.  I felt the same way a year ago. The first time I gave my number out and got a text from another quitter was awesome because they were no longer some user name on the computer.  I could text and call a real person if I needed help.  Wouldn't it be nicer to actually speak to another person that is going through or has gone through the exact same things you are going through now.  Sure you may need to swallow your pride a bit, but a little embarrassment is WAY better caving.

I sent you my digits.  Call me and see what kind of a person I am.  I dare you, no wait...I Triple Dog Dare You.

Proud as hell to quit with you today.  Look forward to your call.

Chris
If you want my digits, just ask and they will be yours, but I expect yours in return.

Accountability is a statement of personal promise, both to yourself and to the people around you, to deliver specific defined results.
Brian Dive

Do not be complacent about your achievements and not to strive for continual improvement when you get to the top. As soon as you let success go to your head, you sink into following familiar patterns and play it safe. In other words, you risk losing your edge.
Roy T. Bennett

You need anything, ask.  You feel strong, help.  This quit is for you but we got your back.
wastepanel

Do not let the actions of others determine the direction of YOUR quit.
chris2alaska

There are no dumb questions, just dumb people who ask questions.
Klark

My Intro

My HOF Speech

My Comma Club Speech

Offline mayfly

• Quitter
  • You're either quit or you're not
    • My Intro
  • Quit Date: 08/28/2021
  • Likes Given: 192
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2019, 11:32:31 AM »
I could lie and say that I'm happy to be here.  I want a pinch of snuff so bad it pisses me off at times.  It comes in waves.  I ate a whole bag of Hersey's Drops yesterday because I couldn't scratch what was itching.  My mind will not focus on shit.  I can't get my job (Network/Systems Administrator) done.  I just want to sleep, but when bed time comes I can't.  Fuck me.

Thats just the nic trying to convince you to get back together.  But you already broke up right?  Hell, I had some pretty good craves last night and was raging a bit because of assholes at work so it will come and go even when you're weeks out.  Just stay the course, fill your mouth with whatever the hell you want, except nic. 

Early in my quit, I would come and hang out on ktc all the time.  Even had it up in the background at work.  It made me feel pretty good to read a bit here and there about quitters successes.  First came the craves, then the fog, the rage, the insomnia, and sometimes all of them rolled up in a big fuck you sandwich.  It will just take time to undo what we did to ourselves by using all these years. Trust me, the clouds will part around day 7-10 and you will feel like a rockstar.   

I'm still quit so far though.  Day 3 is here and will be gone soon enough.  I'm posting roll (though I feel that process needs a revamp as it makes trying to follow along a complete pain in the ass) in April and appreciate those fellas so far.  I've seen every PM sent and although I haven't replied to any, please know that they've been read more than once.  Right now, texting/giving my number to a random dude seems weird, but I'll remain active here.

I'm already an asshole and this suck sure isn't making it any better.  Any extra help here would be much appreciated it.

I too, am an asshole.. haha.. The first week isn't easy at all, that's why so many fail.  I think we've had 2 quitters that have gone missing so far.  All you have to do is post roll early Every Damn Day and make your promise to the group to be nic free for that day.  You already made your choice for the day that you are quit and you make it to the next day.  I highly suggest you branch out and build some accountability with some quitters in April but vets also.  Sometimes, we just need a kick in the ass to be reminded what were doing here and I like that life line.  Anyways, you have my number, when you're ready I expect a text to see how you're doing. 

Half-assed effort only gives half-assed results

Cravings are like March madness...survive and advance-Bgbdbrd

There are two types of quitters on KTC. Those who post every damn day no matter what. They could survive a plane crash 50 miles from Nome Alaska and would kill a polar bear with a pocket knife, write their days quit on ice with its blood, snap a pic with their cell phone and text it to Drome. Then there are those who always have an excuse not to post or to post late. -bicycleptic

Offline EnuffSnuff

• Quitter
  • What are you waiting for? Quit already!
  • Quit Date: 01/06/19
  • Likes Given: 38
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2019, 09:50:24 AM »
Before reading, keep in mind that this is day 3 for me and my mind is fucked.  If the following sentences make no sense, that's why.

I'm 32 and have been a friend of nicotine for about 20 years.  I don't exactly remember when I smoked my first cig or took my first pinch, but I want to say I was around 12.  Sure, I wasn't a heavy user back then, but that's when this ride started.  Until around 10:30am Tuesday (1/15/2019), I've been at two cans a day for 10 years or so.

This was the point in my quit that sucked the most for me as well. I couldn’t sleep, wanted to rage at every little damn thing, and couldn’t focus on shit. The best way I could get through it was to take it one minute at a time. I’d chew on sunflower seeds, breath for a second, remember this place and that I’ve got may back covered, and work on making it the next minute. That oral fixation satisfied with seeds helped me get through the worst of it. I went through a wheelbarrow full of the damn things, but it helped.  Regarding sleep, a took an over the counter sleep aid the first week and a melatonin supplement. It helped some but I still woke up several times a night with dip dreams.

It DOES get better. You can do this...if you need to vent or need to talk through it, let me know. We’re all going through the same suck.
The only right way to quit is today.

My Intro

Floors Visited...1, 2, 3, 4

Offline QuitterJoe

• Quitter
  • Likes Given: 51
My Name is Joe
« on: January 17, 2019, 09:16:42 AM »
Before reading, keep in mind that this is day 3 for me and my mind is fucked.  If the following sentences make no sense, that's why.

I'm 32 and have been a friend of nicotine for about 20 years.  I don't exactly remember when I smoked my first cig or took my first pinch, but I want to say I was around 12.  Sure, I wasn't a heavy user back then, but that's when this ride started.  Until around 10:30am Tuesday (1/15/2019), I've been at two cans a day for 10 years or so.