Author Topic: Introduction - Tommy G  (Read 1115 times)

Online Stranger999

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • Quit Date: 09/05/2015
  • Interests: Taking that first breath every morning before I post roll again.... Family, Philadelphia Eagles football, music, computers, solving puzzles of all sorts
  • Likes Given: 248
Re: Introduction - Tommy G
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2017, 01:50:00 AM »
Life is full of ups and downs. Try not to connect your ups and downs to using nicotine. Nicotine just masks them out while slowly killing us. 40 days is bad ass by the way. :)

Offline TabRow3

• Quit Pro
  • Enlightened ODAAT
  • Quit Date: Nov 27, 2016
  • Likes Given: 44
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2017, 06:43:00 PM »
Quote from: Tonifer
Quote from: tabrow3
Day 36 and I'm just now beginning to realize that everything that I have read from those who quit before me is actually true. It does get better.

The last 4 or 5 days have been nearly crave-free. This is something that I had a tough time wrapping my mind around even just a week ago. It's not that I questioned the veracity of what was being said by those who had gone before me, but mentally I just could not make the leap from where I was and what I was actually experiencing to what they were saying.

All this is extremely encouraging, and my New Year's resolution will simply be to listen more to those who have a quit date preceding mine and trust that what they say regarding this quit process is true regardless of how I'm feeling at the time. Feelings fade, but truth is truth.
Hey Tommy glad to hear that you are doing so good. I told you it would get better. You may still hit some bumps in the road, but over all things should continue to trend up. "Nearly crave-free" sounds great. I have been dealing with an almost constant crave for quite a while, not a strong one, just kind of there in the back of my mind. I'm starting to get used to it. Keep posting these victories, I love to read about them, and I am here if you hit a bump. Stay strong and stay quit.
Thanks Tony! Your support and example along with so many others means more than you will ever know.

Offline Tonifer

• Quit Pro
  • Go Dawgs!
  • Quit Date: September 25, 2016
  • Interests: Woodworking, Nascar, College Football
  • Likes Given: 75
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2017, 12:48:00 PM »
Day 36 and I'm just now beginning to realize that everything that I have read from those who quit before me is actually true. It does get better.

The last 4 or 5 days have been nearly crave-free. This is something that I had a tough time wrapping my mind around even just a week ago. It's not that I questioned the veracity of what was being said by those who had gone before me, but mentally I just could not make the leap from where I was and what I was actually experiencing to what they were saying.

All this is extremely encouraging, and my New Year's resolution will simply be to listen more to those who have a quit date preceding mine and trust that what they say regarding this quit process is true regardless of how I'm feeling at the time. Feelings fade, but truth is truth.
Hey Tommy glad to hear that you are doing so good. I told you it would get better. You may still hit some bumps in the road, but over all things should continue to trend up. "Nearly crave-free" sounds great. I have been dealing with an almost constant crave for quite a while, not a strong one, just kind of there in the back of my mind. I'm starting to get used to it. Keep posting these victories, I love to read about them, and I am here if you hit a bump. Stay strong and stay quit.
Quit date: September 25, 2016
HOF date: January 2, 2017
Comma date: June 21, 2019

Become as addicted to your quit as you were to nic.

Offline TabRow3

• Quit Pro
  • Enlightened ODAAT
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2017, 09:59:00 AM »

Offline Tonifer

• Quit Pro
  • Go Dawgs!
  • Quit Date: September 25, 2016
  • Interests: Woodworking, Nascar, College Football
  • Likes Given: 75
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2016, 09:27:00 PM »
Quote from: MikeK
Quote from: Nomore1959
Day 28 now. Been experiencing a lot of the anxiety I've read about over the past couple days. Tightness in chest and such. Even though I realize it will pass, it is so frustrating and I get really discouraged over it. Then I go and read some quitters' posts about how they are at day 52, 78, 123, 267 or whatever day - way beyond where I am - and they talk about how they are still experiencing major craves. Talk about an unbelievably huge downer. When does this crap end? "Once an addict always an addict." Understood. But does this mean I will live in this daily mental torment indefinitely and no longer be able to enjoy the things I used to love doing? Do I simply accept that the vast majority of the rest of my life is going to be agony? That this is my new normal? Oh, and there's the dandy deal of how I'm actually spending more money now on food, seeds, gum, mints, nuts, soda and whatever else just to get me through each day, more than I ever spent on dip (can every 3 - 4 days). I've gained 6 pounds in the last 4 weeks, and I don't gain weight easily.

So, in a nutshell here it is, then:
1) Major anxiety with crappy physical symptoms
2) Not being able to enjoy the things I used to love doing
3) Not knowing how long the above two will last
4) Knowing that this could last a long, long time
5) Not saving a dime by quitting
6) Gaining weight

One glimmer of hope is something I have read maybe half a dozen times from several quitters. The quote that "It sucks until it doesn't", and the constant assurances that every day you put between you and the day you quit is a day closer to not being trapped in the daily mental torment.

It may appear that I am whining, and that I am not truly seeing the benefits of being free of this addiction. That would be wrong. I look at the six points above and still fully realize that to go through this madness is infinitely better than to go back and live in comfortable addiction. It is worth it. It is worth it. It is worth it.
First, congrats on day 28! Four weeks, almost counting in months now. That is awesome.

Next, what you see is a bit of a roller coaster as we heal from nicotine. As you go, the good days will be more frequent than the rough ones. One day at a time, and you will be amazed how much better it is. Yet nicotine lurks, looking for a way back in. I may get a crave, but it is a faint echo of what you see at day 28. It definitely gets better.

Focus on your wins, enjoy freedom this Christmas and New Years!

- nomore1959, day 589
Hang in there Tommy, Quitting isn't easy it wasn't for me. Your list of problems would have fit right in to my introduction if I wasn't in such a fog at the time to realize that I needed to make one. Time heals all wounds, 28 days is badass and you can get through this one day at a time. That's how every one of us have made it as far as we have ODAAT.

STAY STRONG BROTHER YOU GOT THIS...

MikeK Day 172
And this is exactly why this site is successful! Thank you Nomore  MikeK. Your words of encouragement and wisdom are what help guys like me stay quit. You both have a very merry Christmas!
Hey Tommy I am at day 92 and it is much better now than at day 28, so hang in there and stay quit. It will get better for you too. Proud to quit with you.
Quit date: September 25, 2016
HOF date: January 2, 2017
Comma date: June 21, 2019

Become as addicted to your quit as you were to nic.

Offline TabRow3

• Quit Pro
  • Enlightened ODAAT
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2016, 10:00:00 PM »
Quote from: MikeK
Day 28 now. Been experiencing a lot of the anxiety I've read about over the past couple days. Tightness in chest and such. Even though I realize it will pass, it is so frustrating and I get really discouraged over it. Then I go and read some quitters' posts about how they are at day 52, 78, 123, 267 or whatever day - way beyond where I am - and they talk about how they are still experiencing major craves. Talk about an unbelievably huge downer. When does this crap end? "Once an addict always an addict." Understood. But does this mean I will live in this daily mental torment indefinitely and no longer be able to enjoy the things I used to love doing? Do I simply accept that the vast majority of the rest of my life is going to be agony? That this is my new normal? Oh, and there's the dandy deal of how I'm actually spending more money now on food, seeds, gum, mints, nuts, soda and whatever else just to get me through each day, more than I ever spent on dip (can every 3 - 4 days). I've gained 6 pounds in the last 4 weeks, and I don't gain weight easily.

6) Gaining weight

One glimmer of hope is something I have read maybe half a dozen times from several quitters. The quote that "It sucks until it doesn't", and the constant assurances that every day you put between you and the day you quit is a day closer to not being trapped in the daily mental torment.

It may appear that I am whining, and that I am not truly seeing the benefits of being free of this addiction. That would be wrong. I look at the six points above and still fully realize that to go through this madness is infinitely better than to go back and live in comfortable addiction. It is worth it. It is worth it. It is worth it.
First, congrats on day 28! Four weeks, almost counting in months now. That is awesome.

Next, what you see is a bit of a roller coaster as we heal from nicotine. As you go, the good days will be more frequent than the rough ones. One day at a time, and you will be amazed how much better it is. Yet nicotine lurks, looking for a way back in. I may get a crave, but it is a faint echo of what you see at day 28. It definitely gets better.

- nomore1959, day 589
Hang in there Tommy, Quitting isn't easy it wasn't for me. Your list of problems would have fit right in to my introduction if I wasn't in such a fog at the time to realize that I needed to make one. Time heals all wounds, 28 days is badass and you can get through this one day at a time. That's how every one of us have made it as far as we have ODAAT.

MikeK Day 172
And this is exactly why this site is successful! Thank you Nomore  MikeK. Your words of encouragement and wisdom are what help guys like me stay quit. You both have a very merry Christmas!

Offline MikeK

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 7/5/16
  • Interests: Farming , Hunting , Fishing
  • Likes Given: 21
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2016, 05:22:00 PM »

6) Gaining weight

- nomore1959, day 589

MikeK Day 172

Offline Nomore1959

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Likes Given: 329
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2016, 04:03:00 PM »

6) Gaining weight

- nomore1959, day 589

Offline TabRow3

• Quit Pro
  • Enlightened ODAAT
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2016, 12:32:00 PM »

6) Gaining weight

Offline JGlav

• Master of Quit
  • Interests: Quit Date: 9/05/15
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2016, 07:06:00 AM »
Quote from: Stranger999
Hey everyone, I've been dipping for 28 years now, and for the most part if I wasn't eating or sleeping I had a dip in. Promised my wife I'd quit when we got married, then when we had our first kid, then... you all know the story. I'm done with it. Done with the lying, done with giving it control over me. Just done. I found this site, quit on Nov 27th, found my group and started posting. On day 11 now and I continue to count the hours down each day until I can just crawl into bed and fall asleep.

I'm proud to be a part of this wretched, pitiful company, and I look forward to coming out on the other end stronger with all of you.

- Tommy G
It isn't really "wretched, pitiful". This whole site is built brick by brick on daily success! Once you are out of the fog you will thank this place for being here. :)

Post every day and help others!
Well some of us are little more wretched and pitiful than others 'winker'

Online Stranger999

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • Quit Date: 09/05/2015
  • Interests: Taking that first breath every morning before I post roll again.... Family, Philadelphia Eagles football, music, computers, solving puzzles of all sorts
  • Likes Given: 248
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2016, 12:53:00 AM »
Hey everyone, I've been dipping for 28 years now, and for the most part if I wasn't eating or sleeping I had a dip in. Promised my wife I'd quit when we got married, then when we had our first kid, then... you all know the story. I'm done with it. Done with the lying, done with giving it control over me. Just done. I found this site, quit on Nov 27th, found my group and started posting. On day 11 now and I continue to count the hours down each day until I can just crawl into bed and fall asleep.

I'm proud to be a part of this wretched, pitiful company, and I look forward to coming out on the other end stronger with all of you.

- Tommy G
It isn't really "wretched, pitiful". This whole site is built brick by brick on daily success! Once you are out of the fog you will thank this place for being here. :)

Post every day and help others!

Offline pky1520

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quitting MoFo
  • Quit Date: May 2, 2016
  • Interests: Hunting, fishing
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2016, 07:27:00 PM »
Glad you found us and have been posting roll with your group!

You've now got the tools to finally find success - and there is no longer any excuse for failing. If we can all do it, so can you.

Make sure to set your expectations about what the "other side" is. Come to grips with the fact that you are and will remain an addict. The "other side" is an addict that is no longer a slave to his addiction. It's freedom and let me tell you, it is worth every single shitty, anxious, hopeless feeling you go through to attain it.

Welcome and I look forward to watching you succeed here. Send me a PM if you need digits or anything else I can help with.

Offline TabRow3

• Quit Pro
  • Enlightened ODAAT
Introduction - Tommy G
« on: December 07, 2016, 07:16:00 PM »

- Tommy G