Author Topic: Winer Winner Chicken Dinner  (Read 8116 times)

Offline slug.go

• Epic Quitter
  • Quit Date: 1/23/14
  • Interests: Family, motorcycles, all sports, hunting, fishing, guns
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: Winer Winner Chicken Dinner
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2014, 09:12:00 AM »
Done4,
Inspired by your account, keep moving it forward!
Quit since 1/23/14

Offline lighty7

• Quitter
  • Interests: UGA Football
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2014, 09:02:00 AM »
Quote from: Done4Me
Quote from: Menace
Considering I put that shit in my lip for over 10,000 days and I am only quit a fraction of that number of days into my quit, I just expect it to be difficult at times.
Damn. Never did the math but I'm right there with you at 9125. And I agree not having to carry a can is an awesome feeling. Odd habit to break is putting on cargo shorts and patting the can pocket and it's empty.
Ah the old patting of the cargo shorts to feel for the tin. It's crazy how while we are all very different, this addiction to nicotine can have you read a sentence from someone you've never met and you instantly relate 1000% to exactly what they are saying.

I'm quitting today with you Done

Lighty

Offline Mogul

• Quitter
  • Interests: Pilot
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2014, 08:24:00 AM »
Quote from: worktowin
Done, how in the hell are you doing?
Hanging in there ok. The last week has been all good but Tuesday. I was wrapped around the axle all day long. Not sure what was different compared to other days. No different work stresses, home stresses. Just popped up out of nowhere. I'm chewing the hell out some gum. I tried a few different things but landed on gum as the thing that works best or me. Most of the time it's ferocious chewing, not the gentle church pew type. I intentionally stayed away from fake chew to get rid of the oral fixation more quickly. I'm staying away from hard candy and when I eat jerky I swallow immediately. Don't want anything hanging out in the gums.

I fully expected to gain 10 pounds but through 18 days I've lost 2. Funny what happens when you give up an extra 600 to 1000 calories a day of beer. Somewhere along the way I read on here how stopping dip raises confidence. I've never had a problem with confidence but it's hitting me a touch differently. Being successful giving up dip has activated my eagerness to try new things. Guess it comes from knowing how hard it is to stop cold turkey and the sense of accomplishment which mutates into 'I can do anything'. It's a good feeling.
Done, ^^^^^^ That's it. I did the same thing. Quitting renewed my faith in myself and set me off on a long list of engagements. They have all come about slowly but I am more active, lost quite a bit of weight (alcohol and eating better). and I have pretty much quit alcohol altogether. Not because it was a huge problem but I just feel so much better without it. You keep going man, but don't let your eagerness to conquer the world get in the way of quit. ODAAT, OH, and get your rest. I quit with ya brother.

Mogul

Offline Done4Me

• Epic Quitter
  • Interests: Family, Beach, Fishing, BBQ
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2014, 08:08:00 AM »
Done, how in the hell are you doing?
Hanging in there ok. The last week has been all good but Tuesday. I was wrapped around the axle all day long. Not sure what was different compared to other days. No different work stresses, home stresses. Just popped up out of nowhere. I'm chewing the hell out some gum. I tried a few different things but landed on gum as the thing that works best or me. Most of the time it's ferocious chewing, not the gentle church pew type. I intentionally stayed away from fake chew to get rid of the oral fixation more quickly. I'm staying away from hard candy and when I eat jerky I swallow immediately. Don't want anything hanging out in the gums.

I fully expected to gain 10 pounds but through 18 days I've lost 2. Funny what happens when you give up an extra 600 to 1000 calories a day of beer. Somewhere along the way I read on here how stopping dip raises confidence. I've never had a problem with confidence but it's hitting me a touch differently. Being successful giving up dip has activated my eagerness to try new things. Guess it comes from knowing how hard it is to stop cold turkey and the sense of accomplishment which mutates into 'I can do anything'. It's a good feeling.

Offline Done4Me

• Epic Quitter
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2014, 07:52:00 AM »
Quote from: Menace
Considering I put that shit in my lip for over 10,000 days and I am only quit a fraction of that number of days into my quit, I just expect it to be difficult at times.
Damn. Never did the math but I'm right there with you at 9125. And I agree not having to carry a can is an awesome feeling. Odd habit to break is putting on cargo shorts and patting the can pocket and it's empty.

Offline AppleJack

• Rockin’ in the free world...
  • Master of Quit
  • Quit Date: April 17, 2013
  • Likes Given: 106
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2014, 09:01:00 PM »
Done, how in the hell are you doing? You've taken this site by storm! People that jump in (check) post religiously (check) and get engaged with others on the site (check) have a mega higher rate of success. In fact, if you are a man of your word and you post every day, your chance of success is 100%. That's pretty good odds.

I think you and I bought about the same number of cans of that stupid shit. 9,100. Damn... Does that burn you? What a complete waste. Do you know how many fancy hats or toboggans that would buy?

Thanks for being one of the newest leaders on the board. You are really inspiring.
That's the handbook of badass quit right there.

Nice job bro!
Well, it’s one louder, isn’t it? It’s not ten.

Offline worktowin

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Interests: GymWorkTravel
  • Likes Given: 108
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2014, 08:57:00 PM »
Done, how in the hell are you doing? You've taken this site by storm! People that jump in (check) post religiously (check) and get engaged with others on the site (check) have a mega higher rate of success. In fact, if you are a man of your word and you post every day, your chance of success is 100%. That's pretty good odds.

I think you and I bought about the same number of cans of that stupid shit. 9,100. Damn... Does that burn you? What a complete waste. Do you know how many fancy hats or toboggans that would buy?

Thanks for being one of the newest leaders on the board. You are really inspiring.

Offline Doc Chewfree

• Quit Pro
  • Quit Date: 2014-02-06
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2014, 12:45:00 PM »
Hi Done4,
Just read your intro and it looks like you've received a lot of good advice. It also seems that you have the right mind set, for the most part.
Triggers and craves are just associations that you have to reset in your mind. When faced with a trigger today I tell myself that since I don't chew anymore, it will be a great new experience. Stupid mind game but that is what all of this shit is so fight fire with fire. I don't chew now. You don't chew now. Focus on now. Don't worry about how long something lasts or takes. If you focus on the now and stay vigilant, you will look up soon and be better.
My advice on dealing with craves: take a deep breath, focus on your promise to be quit and remember that the crave will pass with or without nic. But if you use...they will never get better and you lose.
One last thing. I don't think this is a concern but I got that you are all about the financial aspect and not being a hippocrit to your wife but make sure the quit is solely for you. Otherwise, there is no chance of you being committed enough to pull it off.
PM me if you need anything.
Doc-I'm quit right now!
Brave men are honored, rich men are envied, powerful men are feared, but only a man with character is trusted
Quit on Feb. 6, 2014

Offline worktowin

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Interests: GymWorkTravel
  • Likes Given: 108
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2014, 07:59:00 AM »
One day at a time!

Don't waste your energy thinking ahead that many days. Today you give your word and quit like a beast! You are following the plan like a champ and one day at a time you are crushing a powerful opponent.

Offline brettlees

• Epic Quitter
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2014, 11:54:00 PM »
Quote from: brettlees
Quote from: apogeeammo
Thanks to all for the feedback. Today's a better day. Major trigger day tomorrow, will be outside all day. Looking forward to the challenge.
When you know you've got a trigger day coming, start it off by coming on here and posting roll (make your promise) early. That always helped me through those "trigger day craves" by remembering "can't do it, I gave my word that I quit today, I'll have to wait to tomorrow!"

Then do the same thing tomorrow! Keep repeating this!

To your question on phases, I believe there are common phases we all go through with quitting nicotine and you will hear about them if you keep writing on here about what you are feeling. Yes, the alcohol makes yours a bit different but there are people on here who know what you are feeling.

Quit with you today!

AA
^^^ I agree with Apogee. Just keep getting through. Read other quitters threads and you will see bits of your own quit in many of them but each is unique. You have a good attitude and you can do this - just be patient with yourself and the process. You are through the nicotine exit stage and into some major rewiring now. Sometimes it sucks but there are breaks in that, and man is it ever great to get free from that evil, deep running addiction. It's really a bad deal man, worse than I ever admitted I'm my years upon years of use. You are breaking free now and I'm glad to be here on that same journey with you. Quit on!
Hey Done you made it through your trigger day and then some. You must be learning the tools! Good job!
This info helped me early on, and still does today: https://whyquit.com/whyquit/linksaaddiction.html

Quitters I’ve met so far: Ihatecope, >Pinched<, T-Cell, grizzlyhasclaws, Canvasback, BaseballPlayer, Cbird65, ERDVM, BradleyGuy, Ted, Zeno, AppleJack, Bronc, Knockout, MookieBlaylock, Rdad, 2mch2lv4, MN_Ben, Natro, Lippizaner, Amquash, ChristopherJ, GDubya, SRohde  -- always eager to meet more!

Offline brettlees

• Epic Quitter
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2014, 11:18:00 PM »
Quote from: apogeeammo
Thanks to all for the feedback. Today's a better day. Major trigger day tomorrow, will be outside all day. Looking forward to the challenge.
When you know you've got a trigger day coming, start it off by coming on here and posting roll (make your promise) early. That always helped me through those "trigger day craves" by remembering "can't do it, I gave my word that I quit today, I'll have to wait to tomorrow!"

To your question on phases, I believe there are common phases we all go through with quitting nicotine and you will hear about them if you keep writing on here about what you are feeling. Yes, the alcohol makes yours a bit different but there are people on here who know what you are feeling.

Quit with you today!

AA
^^^ I agree with Apogee. Just keep getting through. Read other quitters threads and you will see bits of your own quit in many of them but each is unique. You have a good attitude and you can do this - just be patient with yourself and the process. You are through the nicotine exit stage and into some major rewiring now. Sometimes it sucks but there are breaks in that, and man is it ever great to get free from that evil, deep running addiction. It's really a bad deal man, worse than I ever admitted I'm my years upon years of use. You are breaking free now and I'm glad to be here on that same journey with you. Quit on!
This info helped me early on, and still does today: https://whyquit.com/whyquit/linksaaddiction.html

Quitters I’ve met so far: Ihatecope, >Pinched<, T-Cell, grizzlyhasclaws, Canvasback, BaseballPlayer, Cbird65, ERDVM, BradleyGuy, Ted, Zeno, AppleJack, Bronc, Knockout, MookieBlaylock, Rdad, 2mch2lv4, MN_Ben, Natro, Lippizaner, Amquash, ChristopherJ, GDubya, SRohde  -- always eager to meet more!

Offline apogeeammo

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2014-01-01
  • Interests: Family, Cooking, Guns, Music!Favorite bands - Tool, Radiohead, and Queens of the Stoneage
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2014, 07:58:00 AM »

Quit with you today!

AA
--Focus on Remedies, Not Faults - Jack Nicklaus
--Do or Do Not, There is NO Try - Yoda
--Recalculating! - The GPS bitch!
--462 Just ahead of me! - Maynard

HOF 4/10/2014

Offline Done4Me

• Epic Quitter
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2014, 09:45:00 PM »

Offline Menace

• Quitter
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2014, 08:10:00 PM »
As for the Phase 2 question, not really sure there is a phase 2. Each of us is different, yet the same. Some have really difficult withdrawals from the bitch and are in a fog for weeks, some of us a few days. Hard to say really how long you will be in a fog and fighting through the suck. Just try and remember how much it blows and how much you don't ever want to go through that again, this will motivate you. Time into your quit surely helps and it does get easier and better every day the longer you are in. I just had a killer crave last week at over a 160 days quit and still usually have at least minor craves daily at some point. Considering I put that shit in my lip for over 10,000 days and I am only quit a fraction of that number of days into my quit, I just expect it to be difficult at times. The freedom from carrying that fu%$ing can with me is awesome though. It does get better, hang in there......Quit with you today!
Menace

I'm a Quitter, Are You?

Offline Grizzlyhasclaws

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Epic Quitter
  • Quit Date: 10/31/2013
  • Interests: Family, Baseball, basketball, sales, living to see my kids grow.
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2014, 01:26:00 PM »
Quote from: CBird65
Quote from: rdad
Quote from: Zam
I need some expert witness been there done that testimony. I'm on day 4, day 5 starts at 11 pm ET. I quit a can a day and moderately heavy (maybe heavily moderate) alcohol use at the same time. Standard drinking would be 6 to 10 beers a night yes every one. Also at least a couple shots in the waning hours before bed. I know everyone is different but damn I was hoping I would be one of those 72 hour guys where I started to feel better. I'm guessing the combined alcohol/nicotine immediacy has my brain wondering WTF. I'm drinking plenty of water, gum of every flavor. My jaw muscles have never looked better.

What's the over/under on # of days until I get to phase 2? No danger here, still committed but I tend to meet expectations if I have an idea of the next goal. Not sure of the posting location protocol, please show me the way if in the wrong place.
I'm not sure what you mean by "phase 2". If your question is "how long does it take nicotine to clear your system?", the answer is around 3 days, I think. If you are asking when most people "clear the fog", then you'll just have to ask a few people. There is A LOT of variation, I think. Personally, I felt pretty good after a week. Unfortunately, it wasn't a permanent feeling. I had stretches where I felt awesome and clear, and I had stretches where I couldn't go 15 seconds without licking the (empty) inside of my lip, or patting my former (now empty) can-pocket. Slowly, the bad stretches became less frequent. Now I can't even remember the last real crave. Read a lot of posts, words of wisdom, HOF speeches, etc, and you'll probably get the answers you're looking for.
Welcome to the suck. It gets better.

PS - as far a "goals" go - it's the same for everyone -- don't use nicotine today.
That was perfectly said by Zam. I think everyone's experience is different. I was in the fog for about 3 weeks. I can tell you for sure that it continues to gradually get easier and I feel so good now. It really helps to read everything you can here. I pick a quitter I like and read the whole intro. There are some great people here with inspiring quits. It really helped me knowing I was not alone in this. It's pretty scary in the beginning. You can do this.
Alcohol and nicotine are like a 1-2 punch to the brain Effects of Alcohol and Tobacco on the Brain
No silver bullets but one thing to be mindful is we are addicts.
Stay focused on the quit and only make those small corrections in behavior directly related to your quit at the beginning.
You are heretofore Dr. CBird. Looked at that page and I don't understand a damn thing.
Haha. Yeah that article has some seriously technical and scientific terms.

In a nutshell, nicotine totally fucks up your brain. When you put in a dip it releases feel good stuff into your brain which makes you not give a crap about your problems. Nicotine is addictive as well. So when you don't have any going into your system you immediately start to go through withdrawals (ie: irritability and nervousness) Hence the need to feed the addiction. After years of depending upon nicotine to make you feel "right" you are having to re-learn everything without a chemical substance as a crutch. You have to learn how to feel good on your own. The good thing is you now have more oxygen in your blood. So your body and brain are much healthier. It just takes some time to get used not constantly poisoning yourself. You poisoned yourself for however long and your brain and body are unfucking themselves. Embrace it and enjoy it. It gets better and better, but be patient and give it time. Staying quit should be your primary focus. Nicotine is a trap and you need to fight like hell to get out of that trap. Those who fall back are suckers. Don't be a sucker.
Nicotine Quit Date:10/31/2013
Exercise Start Date: 6/29/2018