Author Topic: New member  (Read 1183 times)

Offline 30yraddict

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Quit Feb 13, 2011
  • Likes Given: 67
Re: New member
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2011, 10:07:00 AM »
lotta wisdom right there maineguy. I feel the same way, this time I have the knowledge that I need to succeed. I Quit with you.

30yr

Offline maineguy1313

• Quitter
  • Interests: Sports and anything outdoors, fishing, hunting, camping, hiking, skiing
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2011, 09:55:00 AM »
Awareness.

I haven't posted here after introducing myself, mostly because I didn't really have anything ground breaking to discuss. But, I had somewhat of a mini personal revelation last night, and I am sure this has probably been touched on by someone much more along in the game, so this probably isn't ground breaking either.

In all my previous quits I wasn't prepared. I wasn't ready for an overwhelming feeling that I couldn't control my own decisions, I wasn't prepared to feel like an addict. I would think things were going smoothly and then all of a sudden I was dipping again, but I hadn't consciously made the decision to start up again, it just happened.

When I began this quit, my last quit, from day one I constantly reminded myself that quitting wasn't an option, so there was nothing to debate or lose sleep over. I slept fine, I couldn't focus for shit, but it wasn't because I was longing for a dip. From the beginning it was quit, option A B C D...Z, all quit, no alternatives. Now, 66 days in, I will be honest it gets a bit tiring to constantly think about quitting, and this is something I think chewie has discussed in one of his many seminal posts. But, I still do it, growing up and playing sports a common saying was complacency kills. The daily reminders have helped, but even more, the information on this site has prepared me for everything that has come my way...the sore throat, the irritability, the fog, the funk and everything in between. Feels like I got a play book that covers the offense and defense for exactly how this nicotine crap works.

So, last night as I walked into the gas station to pick up some gum and drinks, it was like I was going into battle. I had been to the same store many times in the past days since I quit, but for some reason and maybe it was the funk, I felt particularly vulnerable last night. BUT, I was completely aware of what was waiting for me, I knew my eyes would automatically go to the rack of cans, they would look a little brighter than everything else in the store, and I almost laughed out loud thinking "I see you, you aren't catching me off guard, not anymore". The only thing I can think of to explain this awareness is this site. So for anyone just getting started, and to reiterate what others have said, it can be tiring, it isn't easy, but if you follow the play book that the vets have laid out, keep your word, and read some more, I promise you will always be aware and nothing will catch you off guard.

Offline Scowick65

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2011, 10:34:00 AM »
Quote from: maineguy1313
What's going on Hoot? Having a great day, sore throat, little bit outta it and feeling great. Made it through last night which included some pick up basketball and then a trip to the bar for some post game drinks...always a prime situation where I used to dip, but not any more.

Here is to a strong Friday, buddy.
Excellent. One day at a time. It is the only way. Well done.

Offline maineguy1313

• Quitter
  • Interests: Sports and anything outdoors, fishing, hunting, camping, hiking, skiing
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2011, 08:56:00 AM »
What's going on Hoot? Having a great day, sore throat, little bit outta it and feeling great. Made it through last night which included some pick up basketball and then a trip to the bar for some post game drinks...always a prime situation where I used to dip, but not any more.

Here is to a strong Friday, buddy.

Offline Hootie

• Quitter
    • www.whatatripblog.com
  • Interests: Photography;Fishing;Hunting;Shooting
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2011, 08:49:00 AM »
HowÂ’s my little game warden doing today? Catch any poachers or release any trout today?

Just thinking about ya brother and wishing you an awesome dayÂ…

Hootie Out

Offline andrew

• Quitter
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 09:01:00 AM »
You got this shit man...and it's well worth it. As I'm getting ready in a few days to celebrate 30 days free of the nic bitch I can tell you it's worth the agony so far. Living free is always worth it.
QUIT 01/03/11
HOF 04/12/11

THIS IS YOUR DAY TO BE QUIT.

Offline Scowick65

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 08:46:00 AM »
Quote from: Hootie
Hi All,

Just posted up Day one on the May Roll Call and wanted to introduce myself.  My name is Andrew, 26 years old and in grad school studying wildlife and fisheries conservation.  First dip was sophomore year of highschool as a right of passage, didn't really get into it into freshman year of college.  Had a couple stints of cutting back, a few days of quit from then till now.  Past 3 or 4 years been dipping 3/4 can of Grizzly straight a day.  Had enough, want my life and my money back.  Always had the occasional "oh shit" moment, but watching the gum line travel south and the reality of what I am doing to myself is packing a much heavier punch now.  Somewhat scared shitless that maybe I just already messed up too bad, but as one member told me in a chat last night, I can't control that but I can control my decisions.

Here's to day one.

- Andrew
Yea Andrew!!! Huzzah Huzzah Huzzah! Hang in there buddy! Welcome and all that jazz. You need help you call me. IÂ’ll PM you the number right nowÂ…
I am glad you found us. Great call on your part. It is simple. Post roll today. Quit today. Wake up; repeat.

Offline Hootie

• Quitter
    • www.whatatripblog.com
  • Interests: Photography;Fishing;Hunting;Shooting
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 08:42:00 AM »
Hi All,

Just posted up Day one on the May Roll Call and wanted to introduce myself. My name is Andrew, 26 years old and in grad school studying wildlife and fisheries conservation. First dip was sophomore year of highschool as a right of passage, didn't really get into it into freshman year of college. Had a couple stints of cutting back, a few days of quit from then till now. Past 3 or 4 years been dipping 3/4 can of Grizzly straight a day. Had enough, want my life and my money back. Always had the occasional "oh shit" moment, but watching the gum line travel south and the reality of what I am doing to myself is packing a much heavier punch now. Somewhat scared shitless that maybe I just already messed up too bad, but as one member told me in a chat last night, I can't control that but I can control my decisions.

Here's to day one.

- Andrew
Yea Andrew!!! Huzzah Huzzah Huzzah! Hang in there buddy! Welcome and all that jazz. You need help you call me. IÂ’ll PM you the number right now

Offline maineguy1313

• Quitter
« on: January 27, 2011, 08:38:00 AM »
Hi All,

Just posted up Day one on the May Roll Call and wanted to introduce myself. My name is Andrew, 26 years old and in grad school studying wildlife and fisheries conservation. First dip was sophomore year of highschool as a right of passage, didn't really get into it into freshman year of college. Had a couple stints of cutting back, a few days of quit from then till now. Past 3 or 4 years been dipping 3/4 can of Grizzly straight a day. Had enough, want my life and my money back. Always had the occasional "oh shit" moment, but watching the gum line travel south and the reality of what I am doing to myself is packing a much heavier punch now. Somewhat scared shitless that maybe I just already messed up too bad, but as one member told me in a chat last night, I can't control that but I can control my decisions.

Here's to day one.

- Andrew