Author Topic: New quitter!  (Read 937 times)

Offline Radman

• Quit Pro
  • Interests: Family and friends. Other than that, anything outdoors....motorcycling, shooting, hunting, fishing, racing.
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: New quitter!
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 02:00:00 PM »
Welcome, sir. First thing you need to do is head over to February 2013 HOF forum and post your name on that roll call. It's not just a list. That is giving your word that you will not have any nicotine for the next 24 hours. Then honor your word. It's just that simple. Skoal Monster said it pretty clearly below.

Like you, I'm considered fairly smart by most who know me. Wrong. An intelligent person would not have spent 19 + years destroying bank account and health with this addiction. Read my HOF speech (linked below) and those of other quitters here. You'll feel welcome.

Check your inbox. PM me if you need anything.

Offline Evil_Won

• Quitting MoFo
  • Interests: none
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 11:04:00 AM »
gtr1965, that is the same reason that I quit...a dental exam.

For 16 years I enjoyed dipping but with every can purchased I hated it. I hated knowing that I was an addict. I hated knowing that "one day" I would have a major health issue.

That day came 20 days ago when I went to my dentist for my regular 6 month checkup. He has always done an oral cancer exam, does it for everyone, but this time he said that he saw "cellular changes" and that "it didn't look good". He said that he wanted to see me in a month (after being nic free for 1 month). If things improve after a month there would be no need for a biopsy.

I went out to my car, kind of sat there in shock, which is odd since I knew the day was coming for 16 years. How would I tell my wife who has no idea I ever used dip (honestly - to this day she knows NOTHING!)? If the worst case senario happens who takes care of my kids? Will they grow up thinking that a dip was more important to me than they were?

I had a full unopened can and a half can. I both out the window. Haven't touched it since. I hope my body can recover. I'n about 2 weeks I'll make another appointment with the dentist for a follow-up.

We seem to have a lot in common as far as this situation that we put ourselves into. I'll PM you my number, call or text if you need to vent, bitch, complain, talk, or most importantly if you are thinking of caving. Dip is stupid and has no good qualities at all - I'm not sure why it took 16 years for me to figure that out.
"Dunno about you HP, but LOOT doesn't like getting assfucked, by anyone....and certainly won't chalk it up to 'shit happens'."

Offline Skoal Monster

• Quit Pro
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 10:33:00 AM »
Quote from: gtr1965
I've been reading the info from this site for a few days and decided to join. Not sure what I'm doing but I quit 3 days ago after a dental exam. Patches on both sides below teeth showing some wear. I was told quit today and come back in a few weeks for a look or don't quit and come back and see an oral surgeon for a biopsy. I went back to work and had my last chew...in upper lip...and then decided it was time. I'm still going to see the oral surgeon to make sure all is well but I'm tired of worrying all the time. Friends consider me intelligent but when rationalizing this habit for 30 years I feel stupid. I don't know how I will do this...I feel sick, depressed and realize that I tied dipping to enjoyment of almost everything. I am trying to undo that tie one thing at a time and get through one day at a time but I am in such a fog.
This guyÂ’s walking down a street, when he falls in a hole. The walls are so steep, he canÂ’t get out.
A doctor passes by, and the guy shouts up, Hey you! Can you help me out? The doctor writes him a prescription, throws it down the hole, and moves on.
Then a priest comes along, and the guy shouts up, Father, IÂ’m down in this hole! Can you help me out? The priest writes out a prayer, throws it down in the hole, and moves on.
Then a friend walks by. Hey Joe, itÂ’s me, can you help me out? And the friend jumps in the hole! Our guy says Are you stupid? Now weÂ’re both down here! And the friend says, Yeah, but IÂ’ve been down here before, and I know the way out.

Welcome, you don't have to know "how" to do it. We got that covered. Just walk in the footsteps of the guys in front of you.

You have 72hours of fun in front of you, but lets take it a bite at a time. Today, all you have to do is one single thing. Stay quit. Take the day off if you need to, call in sick. NOTHING gets in front of your quit.

It isn't fun, but it won't kill you. Plenty of us have gone thru it and come out the other side. If I can do it so can you. I chewed on the way home from my biopsy, so I know exactly where you stand. Go to Feb if you havent already and post roll call. Day 1.

YOu got this

sm
"CLOSE THE DOOR. In my opinion, it?s the single most important step in your final quit. There is one moment, THE moment, when you finally let go and surrender to the quit. After that moment, no temptation will be great enough, no lie persuasive enough to make you commit suicide by using tobacco."

Offline gtr1965

• Quitter
New quitter!
« on: October 29, 2012, 10:14:00 AM »
I've been reading the info from this site for a few days and decided to join. Not sure what I'm doing but I quit 3 days ago after a dental exam. Patches on both sides below teeth showing some wear. I was told quit today and come back in a few weeks for a look or don't quit and come back and see an oral surgeon for a biopsy. I went back to work and had my last chew...in upper lip...and then decided it was time. I'm still going to see the oral surgeon to make sure all is well but I'm tired of worrying all the time. Friends consider me intelligent but when rationalizing this habit for 30 years I feel stupid. I don't know how I will do this...I feel sick, depressed and realize that I tied dipping to enjoyment of almost everything. I am trying to undo that tie one thing at a time and get through one day at a time but I am in such a fog.