Author Topic: smokey mountain  (Read 1360 times)

Offline CoachDoc

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2010-02-24
  • Interests: Coaching football/baseball, reading, hiking, kayaking, camping, watching my 4 sons grow up
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: smokey mountain
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2012, 10:19:00 AM »
The discussion over fake is one that ALWAYS comes up - and, like loot and the rest said, you will get vary different answers from different quitters. What you will also hear is a common thread - whatever it takes to stay CLEAN of nicotine.

I used SM off and on after my first 30 days, up until about day 60 and then I kinda just lost interest in it. Funny thing though, there is still a can and a half sitting at my place and there have been times I've picked it up when feeling stressed (a past trigger for me), and thought through the whole process - realizing that dipping NEVER made the stress better - and would put down the fake and not use it.

Of course, that was after 100's of days clean and I am able to fight off those thoughts and craves because of the time I've spent here on KTC with loot, and waste and the rest of these fine quitters who have taught me how to resist the craves and to BE HONEST with myself about my addiction.

Use the fake as you need it. It's another tool. Some people need tools, others don't. Whatever you do, just stay QUIT.
Blah...Blah...Blah...You keep TALKIN....I'll keep QUITTIN

I'm not here to make friends, I'm here to support YOUR quit.

Quit Date: 2/25/10 and every day since
HoF: June 4, 2010
HOF Speech
10th Floor: November 20, 2012

Offline Gunner75

• Quitter
  • Interests: My wife and 4 kiddo'sTrapping CoyotesCalling CoyotesCamping, Hunting Fishing
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2012, 09:27:00 AM »
I use the Mountain. Some day I will stop, but like Wastepanel says, I am tackling the addiction first, then when I'm strong Ill knife the habit of something in my lip.
Quit: 9-21-12
HOF: 12-29-12
2nd Floor 4-8-13
December Chew Wrecking Crew

"I'm dreamin bout beavers, hey give me 15 more minutes"

-Si Robertson

Offline wastepanel

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Fuck you guys.
    • Scaretissue.com
  • Likes Given: 21
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2012, 12:54:00 PM »
I used fake pretty religiously for the first 130 or so days.

I never really freaked out about it because I knew there are two parts to the addiction: Addiction and habit. You are addicted to the drug. You stuffed shit in your lip to fulfill the habit.

The addiction requires 3-7 days of hardcore withdrawals, followed by random spurts of re-wiring that happen inside your head. You see, the drug connected itself to every neuron in your head associated with good times and good feelings. When we think good time, the drug has reprogrammed our brains to think of it first. We are creatures of habit, and we have memories associated to our actions. We stuffed our lips all the time doing everything in our lives. When we try to do those actions without the drug, our brains say "OK...let's do this. Got your can?" Which sets off a series of events in your head where your brain needs to find another way to jumpstart the good time outside of nicotine. Once it finds that new path, it will move on usually without the drug's voice calling it back.

The habit is easily broken when you are strong enough. Not all of us can deal with both sides at the same time. I had to wait. But once I decided just not to do it, there are no physical pains. There is no fog.

I had control of my lip again.

I will warn you: If you don't use it to start out with, don't get in the habit of using fake stuff later. It's a slippery slope. The feeling feels like it and it will trigger those diseased neurons.
In the end I Surrender, I and I alone accept that I have and always will have a Nicotene ADDICTION. It is my choice to quit, but I can't do it alone. I get to go down this path one time, I want to do it right. I recognize that my word, my integrety to you is on the line and is only as good as my actions. Caving is not an option in this plan-Eafman 7/11

I am not cured. I will quit one day at a time. I will continue to do what works. Posting roll everyday. To do otherwise would be foolish on my part. You can do this-Ready 12/11

To overcome your addiction you must comprehend what it means to fail-Razd 3/12

Theres a lot of people that come here, especially vets, that WANT to be reminded that they are addicts.-Tarpon 6/12

Just as a building starts with architectural drawings. Your daily quit begins with a promise.-Scowick 2/13

Here and now, focused on today, minute by minute, whatever it takes, I promise to all my bros and myself not to become a negative stat and stay quit!-krok 1/15

I want everyone to be quit. Even the assholes.-Probe1957 1/18

Ignoring history or erasing history fixes nothing and leads you inevitably down the same path.-69franx 04/30/2021

Offline loot

• BANNED
  • Master of Quit
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2012, 12:53:00 PM »
Quote from: Skoal
I say put anything in your mouth you need to to keep nicotine out . A rusty ferret , wet sand, anything you find in the men's room of Denny's , thumbtacks, or a porcupine with pms are all good choices.

I chewed fake for over a year, Oregon mint. Didn't taste anything like chew, but helped with the oral fixation. I fought the nicotine first then dumped the oral fixation separate. Divide and conquer.
But to each his own
Exhibit A of the damned fine quitters.
Exhibit B...Chewie will be along shortly.

You cant go wrong following either example

Offline Skoal Monster

• Quit Pro
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2012, 12:51:00 PM »
I say put anything in your mouth you need to to keep nicotine out . A rusty ferret , wet sand, anything you find in the men's room of Denny's , thumbtacks, or a porcupine with pms are all good choices.

I chewed fake for over a year, Oregon mint. Didn't taste anything like chew, but helped with the oral fixation. I fought the nicotine first then dumped the oral fixation separate. Divide and conquer.
But to each his own
"CLOSE THE DOOR. In my opinion, it?s the single most important step in your final quit. There is one moment, THE moment, when you finally let go and surrender to the quit. After that moment, no temptation will be great enough, no lie persuasive enough to make you commit suicide by using tobacco."

Offline loot

• BANNED
  • Master of Quit
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 12:33:00 PM »
Got look in the Wilcard Section. There is a Smokeless Alternatives thread just for this stuff . LOOT bumped it to the top for you. Enjoy.

Youll get lots of opinions. LOOTs is this...stay far, far away. If yous like LOOT it will do nothing but start a rationalization process that will lead rght back to the can. It took 90 days to gst a handle on the oral fixation. Not too bad.

Now.. there are some damned fine quitters here that use fakie.

Only you know you big boy..your call. Anything to keep you clean.

Offline lbj

• Quitter
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, 12:30:00 PM »
You do whatever it takes to get yourself thru this.I got SM about two wks. in,used maybe two cans over 3 weeks.KTC is my nic replacement now.Hang in there,post role and read what these folks are saying.
Take away,take away... take away this ball and chain

Offline Mjollnir

• Epic Quitter
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 12:29:00 PM »
Quote from: bif
what i would like to know from some of the veterans is if i use smokey mountain herbal chew am i helping or hurting myself because in a sense i am still putting something there where the chew use to be.how long did they stick with the fake stuff before they threw that can away also????
I would say you are not hurting yourself. I used fake and I liked it. It does not have nicotine in it. I found that if I was having a bad time I could use some and it would trick my mind into thinking that I was about to get what I was looking for and the crave would go away before my mind/body figured it out.

Some people really freak out on it, but I whole heartedly support its use.

Offline bif

• Quitter
  • Interests: motorcycling, camping,snowmobiling,hanging out
smokey mountain
« on: December 02, 2012, 12:25:00 PM »
what i would like to know from some of the veterans is if i use smokey mountain herbal chew am i helping or hurting myself because in a sense i am still putting something there where the chew use to be.how long did they stick with the fake stuff before they threw that can away also????