Author Topic: What's up fellas?  (Read 2601 times)

Offline Pyrovalin

• Quitter
  • Interests: Hiking, mountaineering, outdoors, fishing, mountain bikingBeing with my wife Wendy and two boys Dustin and Jacob
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: What's up fellas?
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2009, 11:44:00 PM »
I've been on the new meds now for about 5 weeks Dutch. I saw the doc again and he suggested up-ing the dose to 10mg just because it's proper protocol and I turned it down. Maybe I'm not getting enough medicine? I'll see where I'm at in a month and if it doesn't change I may just go to 10mg. Thanks.
?All men dream: but not equally.
Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
wake in the day to find that it was vanity:
but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
for they may act out their dream with open eyes, to make it possible.?

Seven Pillars of Wisdom, T.E. Lawrence

Offline Dutch

• Quitter
  • Interests: Hunting, fishing, golf, watching sports.
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2009, 07:42:00 PM »
I might be able to help you some here. I have anxiety problems as well. I had many panic attacks before I was even trying to quit chewing. Tobacco, caffeine, lack of sleep, and stress can all contribute to causing panic attacks.

I am currently on Buspar for my anxiety and also have Ativan I can use if I feel a panic attack coming on. I rarely need Ativan anymore.

If these attacks are happening to you during your quit, I would suggest taking a small amount of Ativan just to calm your nerves. Also, your anti-depressent can really mess with your brain chemicals for up to two weeks while adjusting to the new medicine.

Hope this helps!

Offline nkt

• Quit Pro
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2009, 06:55:00 PM »
Quote from: Pyrovalin
Maybe someone here can relate. The last 2 months has been hell. If you have the time, please read this.

Here's a quick story about last year: A year ago I was rushed to the hospital one afternoon after having several PVCs (Premature Ventricular Contractions or when your heart skips a beat) and feeling like I was going to pass out; just feeling like complete shit. I had been dipping that day a lot. Basically I thought I was having a heart attack and was going to die. By the way I'm only 34 years old. I told the paramedics I had been dipping that day and all they did was say they did too and that I was fine. The doctors took my vitals, blood, ECG, etc. and sent me home telling me I had had an anxiety/panic attack and prescribed me Ativen and told me to lay off the diet pills I was taking. Everything was fine after that day until this past April.

I'm a high school teacher and stay athletic. I mountain bike, hike, jog almost daily, and eat fairly well. This past April was our school's spring break. The first Saturday I had off I visited a friend and stayed up until 3 am the next morning. I had been dipping heavily all night. I went home and got in bed only to find it took until 5:30 am to finally get to sleep. I felt like my heart was racing and felt like shit and I attributed it to an all night binge of dipping. I almost felt like I did a year ago. A few days later I went to another friends house to visit and stayed until 3 am again and had been dipping heavily all night only this time I felt like I did the year before and it wouldn't go away. I tried everything to calm down. My heart was beating fast, etc. This lasted all the way until 3 am the next morning. I freaked my wife out and myself. I finally went to the ER only to find out, you guessed it, diagnosed anxiety/panic. Again was given Ativen. Thus began my first quit day. I figured the dip wasn't helping things and I was sick and tired of feeling shitty all the time anyways. I had a full physical scheduled the following Friday. All they did was the typical "turn your head and cough" crap, took blood, and sent me on my way. Blood tests were normal etc. They then referred me to a Psychiatric doc who put me on 5mg doses of Lexapro daily.

For the first weeks following my last binge dipping night I couldn't sleep at all. For the past 50 days I've had weird symptoms of all sorts. Flushed feeling in my heart and chest, light chest pain, nausea, the feeling like something's taking my breath away, PVCs, fatigue, sleepiness, lack of sleep some nights. All of which don't happen consistently but come and go and it's driving me mad. I wish I could enjoy the fact I've been 50 days dip free but all I can think is I'm dying and it's because of chew. FOr me the quitting has been easy because all I can think about is getting through the next day of these crazy-assed symptoms.

Does anyone else feel this way?? I don't know if it's the Lexapro or withdrawl symptoms. The doctors are oblivious and it pisses me off. I'll bring up chew and they don't care. What is happening to me!
I'm not a doctor, so I can't give you medical advice; the following is just my opinion.

The physical withdrawals from nicotine don't really last that long, provided that you completely abstain from it. The worst of it is generally over in a few days. I don't think what you are describing is nicotine withdrawals.

I would consider ditching all of the drugs (including the diet pills), taking very good care of yourself (lots of sleep, try to relax, good food, minimize stress, etc.) and see where it seems to be heading after a few weeks. It sounds like you're on sort of a pharmaceutical roller-coaster. If you've developed dependencies on the meds you mentioned, you'll probably feel like shit until you adjust, but it sounds like you feel like shit anyway...

It sounds like you should find a more worthwhile doctor and have a serious conversation about what medications, if any, you should really be on.

I had a panic attack experience similar to yours a while back. It was a time of extreme mental stress, heavy physical exertion, and exhaustion. I got through it by dipping a LOT and drinking tons of coffee. I think I just reached a point where I didn't have any reserves left and 'crashed'. I was in the middle of a supermarket, and I suddenly felt like the world started spinning, my arms and legs got really heavy, and I was on the edge of losing consciousness for several minutes. I felt like I was going to die. It took a few days of serious recovery time before I felt like myself again. My wife had a similar experience when she was smoking (quit now); it ended up being diagnosed as a panic attack.

Again, I'm not a doctor, so take my opinions for what they are: just the possibly worthless advice of another anonymous fucker on the internet...

Offline Pyrovalin

• Quitter
  • Interests: Hiking, mountaineering, outdoors, fishing, mountain bikingBeing with my wife Wendy and two boys Dustin and Jacob
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2009, 06:01:00 PM »
Maybe someone here can relate. The last 2 months has been hell. If you have the time, please read this.

Here's a quick story about last year: A year ago I was rushed to the hospital one afternoon after having several PVCs (Premature Ventricular Contractions or when your heart skips a beat) and feeling like I was going to pass out; just feeling like complete shit. I had been dipping that day a lot. Basically I thought I was having a heart attack and was going to die. By the way I'm only 34 years old. I told the paramedics I had been dipping that day and all they did was say they did too and that I was fine. The doctors took my vitals, blood, ECG, etc. and sent me home telling me I had had an anxiety/panic attack and prescribed me Ativen and told me to lay off the diet pills I was taking. Everything was fine after that day until this past April.

I'm a high school teacher and stay athletic. I mountain bike, hike, jog almost daily, and eat fairly well. This past April was our school's spring break. The first Saturday I had off I visited a friend and stayed up until 3 am the next morning. I had been dipping heavily all night. I went home and got in bed only to find it took until 5:30 am to finally get to sleep. I felt like my heart was racing and felt like shit and I attributed it to an all night binge of dipping. I almost felt like I did a year ago. A few days later I went to another friends house to visit and stayed until 3 am again and had been dipping heavily all night only this time I felt like I did the year before and it wouldn't go away. I tried everything to calm down. My heart was beating fast, etc. This lasted all the way until 3 am the next morning. I freaked my wife out and myself. I finally went to the ER only to find out, you guessed it, diagnosed anxiety/panic. Again was given Ativen. Thus began my first quit day. I figured the dip wasn't helping things and I was sick and tired of feeling shitty all the time anyways. I had a full physical scheduled the following Friday. All they did was the typical "turn your head and cough" crap, took blood, and sent me on my way. Blood tests were normal etc. They then referred me to a Psychiatric doc who put me on 5mg doses of Lexapro daily.

For the first weeks following my last binge dipping night I couldn't sleep at all. For the past 50 days I've had weird symptoms of all sorts. Flushed feeling in my heart and chest, light chest pain, nausea, the feeling like something's taking my breath away, PVCs, fatigue, sleepiness, lack of sleep some nights. All of which don't happen consistently but come and go and it's driving me mad. I wish I could enjoy the fact I've been 50 days dip free but all I can think is I'm dying and it's because of chew. FOr me the quitting has been easy because all I can think about is getting through the next day of these crazy-assed symptoms.

Does anyone else feel this way?? I don't know if it's the Lexapro or withdrawl symptoms. The doctors are oblivious and it pisses me off. I'll bring up chew and they don't care. What is happening to me!

Offline Pyrovalin

• Quitter
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2009, 05:08:00 PM »
Thanks bro! One other thing I want to add for anyone reading this:

I dipped a lot while playing games. PC games, XBOX, mostly while playing World of Warcraft. Although I never dipped on a regular basis (daily, consistently), I would do what I like to call a lot of "binge-dipping" - sitting when I could away from my loved ones I was lying to and dip for as long as I had time, one plug after the other. What a dirty habit. Now I get to live for the next 10 years hoping I don't develop cancer. I fucking hate dip, and I can say I never want to see it or touch it again.

Offline Smokeyg

• Quit King
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2009, 04:58:00 PM »
Quote from: Pyrovalin
Just wanted to say "Hi" to everyone. I'm 50 days chew free now. I'd like to say I feel good but I'm so scared now for some reason about getting cancer. Why didn't I feel this way before now? I guess I finally realize how great life is. I finally came clean with my wife and that was a huge load off. Around the time I quit I had a big panic/anxiety attack which I thought was an overdose of nicotine after dipping all night. Since then I haven't had a single urge to dip because it scared the living crap out of me. Anyways, I'm hoping to meet some great friends here who know what it's like to be addicted.

Facts about me:
34 years old
Dipped Cope/Kodiak for 16 years
50 days free and counting
Times I've quit: Can't even count
Have 3 great reasons to quit: wife, 7 year old, 4 year old

Contact anytime to talk or for support.
Right on man. Welcome to the site. HUGE congrats on your 50 days quit! That is no small feat. It's great that you found this place now. I'm over a year quit and I can tell you that although it gets easier, it never gets easy.

Swing by the Quit Groups section and post up in July 2009 (if you haven't done so already).

If you're ever struggling with anything, speak up. I can guarantee that at least one other person here will be able to relate and provide you with that little extra strength that will get you through. One day at a time.

And YOU are another great reason to quit.

Offline Pyrovalin

• Quitter
What's up fellas?
« on: May 29, 2009, 04:36:00 PM »
Just wanted to say "Hi" to everyone. I'm 50 days chew free now. I'd like to say I feel good but I'm so scared now for some reason about getting cancer. Why didn't I feel this way before now? I guess I finally realize how great life is. I finally came clean with my wife and that was a huge load off. Around the time I quit I had a big panic/anxiety attack which I thought was an overdose of nicotine after dipping all night. Since then I haven't had a single urge to dip because it scared the living crap out of me. Anyways, I'm hoping to meet some great friends here who know what it's like to be addicted.

Facts about me:
34 years old
Dipped Cope/Kodiak for 16 years
50 days free and counting
Times I've quit: Can't even count
Have 3 great reasons to quit: wife, 7 year old, 4 year old

Contact anytime to talk or for support.