Author Topic: My self destructive habit will stop today.  (Read 1978 times)

Offline worktowin

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Interests: GymWorkTravel
  • Likes Given: 108
Re: My self destructive habit will stop today.
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2016, 06:31:00 AM »
Quote from: n00dle
I have been hooked on dip since 2010 when my older brother and I were fishing and he had bet me that I wouldn't throw up after putting one in. It really wasn't ever a gross thing to me because my uncles and grandpa were all hunters, bull riders, and rodeo guys. Not having a father actively in my life lead me to looking up to them.

My stomach was tough for a sophomore in high school... I would dip in class and swallow the spit to avoid getting caught by teachers. I never really paid mind to the health risks of chew tobacco because I used it as a crutch to deal with stress and depression. I easily acquired to the taste of dip and even worse, the oral fixation. Which is a very large issue for me. I am 6'5 and 380 pounds. You may be able to tell that I like to put things in my mouth. I went from a can a week, to a can a day within a year or two. I went from Grizzly to Longhorn, so I could buy in bulk for cheap; which lead me to use more and more.

This last week I thought I was really constipated, so I went on a high fiber diet and did not eat a whole lot, assuming I could rid of my constipation. Unfortunately I found out I have a hemorrhoid. It really scared me. I blew through a whole tub (12 can count) of dip within a few days over the stress I was enduring. I then stopped eating and chewing for a couple of days and went on a liquid based diet to try and help my hemorrhoid cure. During these few days, I did not think of chewing because of the pain and suffering I was enduring. I started getting stomach cramps, nausea and honestly thought I was going to have a heart attack. I went to the ER last night and found that I have Acid Reflux. Now that I'm home I wanted to see if there was a link between dip and Acid Reflux and there is indeed. I bought a can yesterday and only took one small dip out of it since returning from the hospital. As much as I would like to throw in a horseshoe I am going to try and repress these urges. The fact that I am constantly having stomach acid irritate my bowels is enough to make me want to back out of this dangerous habit that I once found comfort in.

It will be very hard for me to deal with these withdrawal symptoms that I am reading about. I am seeking support online, since most of the people I know will either mock me or wont be actively supportive at all. I hope I am welcomed here and wish the best to all of you who are quitting. Much respect.
Welcome aboard sir.

All of the struggles and challenges you describe lead straight back to addiction. You don't need nicotine. You don't even really want it. But your brain thinks you do. This is a mind game... you can do it! But you must get your mind in the right place.

First, here we quit together, as a team. You'll post roll with your group (click on the quit groups button and look for your quit date). The process seems hard - it works. Get your name on roll! Trade a few numbers. Seems weird, it works.

Next, accept that this is hard, but that you are an addict. Then focus on today. Quit for today only. Let's worry about tomorrow... tomorrow.

Finally, use this as a journey of self improvement. Log your trials and victories here. You'll enjoy reading of them later when time makes you forget how hard this was at first. Exercise. It makes you tired and helps push thru the suck. Eat better. Drink water. Reflect on your victories.

Honored to quit with you today sir. You can do this.

Offline n00dle

• Quit Date: 2016-11-18
  • Interests: FishingPaintingMusic and audio productionComputersVideo games
  • Likes Given: 0
My self destructive habit will stop today.
« on: November 18, 2016, 05:51:00 AM »
I have been hooked on dip since 2010 when my older brother and I were fishing and he had bet me that I wouldn't throw up after putting one in. It really wasn't ever a gross thing to me because my uncles and grandpa were all hunters, bull riders, and rodeo guys. Not having a father actively in my life lead me to looking up to them.

My stomach was tough for a sophomore in high school... I would dip in class and swallow the spit to avoid getting caught by teachers. I never really paid mind to the health risks of chew tobacco because I used it as a crutch to deal with stress and depression. I easily acquired to the taste of dip and even worse, the oral fixation. Which is a very large issue for me. I am 6'5 and 380 pounds. You may be able to tell that I like to put things in my mouth. I went from a can a week, to a can a day within a year or two. I went from Grizzly to Longhorn, so I could buy in bulk for cheap; which lead me to use more and more.

This last week I thought I was really constipated, so I went on a high fiber diet and did not eat a whole lot, assuming I could rid of my constipation. Unfortunately I found out I have a hemorrhoid. It really scared me. I blew through a whole tub (12 can count) of dip within a few days over the stress I was enduring. I then stopped eating and chewing for a couple of days and went on a liquid based diet to try and help my hemorrhoid cure. During these few days, I did not think of chewing because of the pain and suffering I was enduring. I started getting stomach cramps, nausea and honestly thought I was going to have a heart attack. I went to the ER last night and found that I have Acid Reflux. Now that I'm home I wanted to see if there was a link between dip and Acid Reflux and there is indeed. I bought a can yesterday and only took one small dip out of it since returning from the hospital. As much as I would like to throw in a horseshoe I am going to try and repress these urges. The fact that I am constantly having stomach acid irritate my bowels is enough to make me want to back out of this dangerous habit that I once found comfort in.

It will be very hard for me to deal with these withdrawal symptoms that I am reading about. I am seeking support online, since most of the people I know will either mock me or wont be actively supportive at all. I hope I am welcomed here and wish the best to all of you who are quitting. Much respect.