Author Topic: My Dirty Addiction  (Read 2755 times)

Offline Winter Green

• Quitter
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: My Dirty Addiction
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2013, 01:33:00 PM »
Quote from: smatroutsky
Quote from: DerikR
Welcome man! Dumping the can in deer trimmings was a nice touch. The trimmings are so repulsive I would probably throw up just thinking about putting in another dip after that. As I'm sure you've already heard, read read read. These guys are going to be your best resource and some of your closest friends for the next 100 days and beyond. Take the time to get to know some of them and get as many sets of digits as you can; when things get particularly tough, being able to call or text a brother can be the difference between caving and gutting it out. Check in the upper right hand for "Inbox (1)" where you will find my number. Welcome to the suck, brother.
Yeah, I took one look in the bucket and knew I would not be scraping one out of there. Unlike the garbage which shamefully I have dug them out of in the past. Thanks for the tips, I will put them to good use
Welcome aboard smatrousky. If you need anything don't be afraid to ask
Quit~December - 2 - 2013
1st Floor~March - 11 - 2014

Offline smatroutsky

• Quitter
  • Interests: Catching whatever will eat a fly, backcountry hunting, bird hunting, mtn biking, and the Green Bay Packers
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2013, 01:25:00 PM »
Quote from: DerikR
Welcome man! Dumping the can in deer trimmings was a nice touch. The trimmings are so repulsive I would probably throw up just thinking about putting in another dip after that. As I'm sure you've already heard, read read read. These guys are going to be your best resource and some of your closest friends for the next 100 days and beyond. Take the time to get to know some of them and get as many sets of digits as you can; when things get particularly tough, being able to call or text a brother can be the difference between caving and gutting it out. Check in the upper right hand for "Inbox (1)" where you will find my number. Welcome to the suck, brother.
Yeah, I took one look in the bucket and knew I would not be scraping one out of there. Unlike the garbage which shamefully I have dug them out of in the past. Thanks for the tips, I will put them to good use

Offline smatroutsky

• Quitter
  • Interests: Catching whatever will eat a fly, backcountry hunting, bird hunting, mtn biking, and the Green Bay Packers
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2013, 01:21:00 PM »
Quote from: golfpro9696
Hey boss, welcome! We're in the same quit group  I'll pm you my number if you need anything. I'm beginning to see that a lot of us share similar stories. One of my closest friends was a cigar smoker on the golf course  gave them up when he turned 40. My 40th is coming up in May  he made me promise that I'd quit dipping when I turned 40.

The problem is that I wasn't dipping just on the golf course, it was damn near 24/7. I played in a tournament last weekend  packed a lipper the entire time. Sunday after the round we were loading up to come home  I put the last pouch in the can in  it just hit me; I don't want to buy another fucking can. My mouth hurts and still I've got this damn thing in.

So, out it went  Monday I found KTC  posted roll for the 1st time. We can do this; we just have to post roll every day  be true to our word. I really like that.

Jeff
It's funny how similar many of these stories are. Thanks for the support!

Offline DerikR

• Quitter
  • Interests: Golf, Football, Baseball, Basketball, Hockey, Camping, Skiing, Craft Beer
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2013, 01:05:00 PM »

Offline golfpro9696

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2013-12-09
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2013, 12:46:00 PM »
Hey boss, welcome! We're in the same quit group  I'll pm you my number if you need anything. I'm beginning to see that a lot of us share similar stories. One of my closest friends was a cigar smoker on the golf course  gave them up when he turned 40. My 40th is coming up in May  he made me promise that I'd quit dipping when I turned 40.

The problem is that I wasn't dipping just on the golf course, it was damn near 24/7. I played in a tournament last weekend  packed a lipper the entire time. Sunday after the round we were loading up to come home  I put the last pouch in the can in  it just hit me; I don't want to buy another fucking can. My mouth hurts and still I've got this damn thing in.

So, out it went  Monday I found KTC  posted roll for the 1st time. We can do this; we just have to post roll every day  be true to our word. I really like that.

Jeff
Quit Date: 12/9/2013
HOF Date: 3/18/2014
15th Floor: 1/16/2018
1 Year: 12/9/2014
2 Year: 12/9/2015
3 Year: 12/9/2016
4 Year: 12/9/2017

Proud member of March '14 Ironmen

Offline smatroutsky

• Quitter
My Dirty Addiction
« on: December 13, 2013, 12:29:00 PM »
I want to introduce myself and give everyone a portion of my background, at least the portion that pertains to my battle with nicotine addiction. I feel like posting roll everyday is good but I'm hoping to get a little more involved in the KTC community. I guess what I'm trying to say is I really don't truly feel I'm accountable to anyone because I haven't got to know any of my fellow quiters nor have I tried to put myself out there...so this is my attempt at that.

I've been chewing and smoking (smoking primarily when I was partying) since I was 14 and I am now 34. I've been dealing with this for over 20 years...how pathetic, but it's time to put this addiction to bed once and for all.

Like most of you I've stopped in the past, only to slowly have it creep back into my life. I actually stopped nicotine as an everyday habit for three years but never truly went longer than a month or two. I let it get to the point that it was acceptable to use when I was drinking, then vacations, and then vacations plus doing my hobbies. 8 months ago I made a conscious decision to start my can a day habit again, with the promise I would quit after my birthday in a month...God only knows how a person, with a 6 month old boy (i'm so damn selfish it actually just brought a tear to my eye),comes to a decision like that but I did. Anyway my birthday came and past, then it was elk hunting, then bird hunting, and then deer hunting. All promises I made to myself and my wife that I broke.

1o days ago I woke up and had my morning dip and had that familiar sting that you get from over doing it the day before and I said to myself this is just stupid. I dumped the remainder of my can in a bucket full of trimmings from a deer I processed the day before, found this website, and committed to do this thing for real.

I should share one last thing. I am a restaurant franchisee and my wife and I made the decision to sell our restaurant, move our small family (with my now 14 month old boy) three hours from both of our parents(who have been our child care this past year) and buy 3 other restaurants. We take over the 3 Monday morning. I probably should of picked a little less stressful time to quit but I'm so sick of this shit and i've learned lately that it's never a good time to quit. The good thing is different location, fresh faces, and new beginnings.

Sorry about the autobiography but I needed to do this for myself and I hope to find support from some people who have and/or currently going through the same thing.