Author Topic: Success with tapering down?  (Read 1893 times)

Offline wastepanel

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Fuck you guys.
    • Scaretissue.com
  • Likes Given: 21
Re: Success with tapering down?
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2016, 08:34:00 PM »
Quote from: mpagett
Uh thanks? What I was really looking for is thoughtful insight... not degrading pep talks. Feel free to respond with WHY you think cold turkey is the way to go. If not that, please just don't respond. I am not looking for an internet debate. I really just want insight.

I understand that I am a guest, so understand that I am not trying to be disrespectful. If somehow it is disrespectful to wonder about a tapering approach to quitting, then I will absolutely go elsewhere to "coddle" my ego as you suggested.
Cold turkey is the way to go because nicotine is an addictive chemical. When you are in jesting a certain level, your body begins to build a tolerance and it will want more. When you aren't using it, it will want it. If you don't get up to the "expected" level, your body will crave it.

Tapering forces your body to crave much longer than if you quit cold turkey. You are torturing your body longer trying to get off easier. It doesn't make sense.

Quitting, by definition, is not using the stuff anymore. You want to be quit? Make the decision. Stick with it. Don't think the decision is final. Be prepared to back it up with actions. Quitting is actively not using anymore.

I was scared 5 years ago. I quit and never looked back. You can too.

And, if you aren't quit, I expect that your response will be typed with an empty mouth.
In the end I Surrender, I and I alone accept that I have and always will have a Nicotene ADDICTION. It is my choice to quit, but I can't do it alone. I get to go down this path one time, I want to do it right. I recognize that my word, my integrety to you is on the line and is only as good as my actions. Caving is not an option in this plan-Eafman 7/11

I am not cured. I will quit one day at a time. I will continue to do what works. Posting roll everyday. To do otherwise would be foolish on my part. You can do this-Ready 12/11

To overcome your addiction you must comprehend what it means to fail-Razd 3/12

Theres a lot of people that come here, especially vets, that WANT to be reminded that they are addicts.-Tarpon 6/12

Just as a building starts with architectural drawings. Your daily quit begins with a promise.-Scowick 2/13

Here and now, focused on today, minute by minute, whatever it takes, I promise to all my bros and myself not to become a negative stat and stay quit!-krok 1/15

I want everyone to be quit. Even the assholes.-Probe1957 1/18

Ignoring history or erasing history fixes nothing and leads you inevitably down the same path.-69franx 04/30/2021

Offline mpagett

• Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2016, 07:33:00 PM »
Uh thanks? What I was really looking for is thoughtful insight... not degrading pep talks. Feel free to respond with WHY you think cold turkey is the way to go. If not that, please just don't respond. I am not looking for an internet debate. I really just want insight.

I understand that I am a guest, so understand that I am not trying to be disrespectful. If somehow it is disrespectful to wonder about a tapering approach to quitting, then I will absolutely go elsewhere to "coddle" my ego as you suggested.

Offline Candoit

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • The Candy Man
  • Quit Date: Today
  • Likes Given: 121
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2016, 07:11:00 PM »
Flush your can, grab your sac and quit like you got a pair. No taper, no gum, no patches. Just plain ol' big brass balls is what it takes to quit. All of those ideas of stepping down, is nothing but the nic bitch walking you around by your manhood. Either you quit cold turkey or you find another place to coddle your ego.
There are no circumstances in which using nicotine will improve the outcome.

My journey. The best part it is not over yet.

Offline mpagett

• Likes Given: 0
Success with tapering down?
« on: June 29, 2016, 07:05:00 PM »
Hey there everyone,

I am 23 and going on 7 years of chewing. Through these years I have chewed anywhere from half a can a day to a can a day or more. I have tried quitting cold turkey probably 4 times but have always faltered when there is a special event and went right back to it.

I am posting this to ask advice. Last month I decided that I want to quit for good. So I decided to dip at a normal rate for the entire month. I was on my 15th can when the month ended. So I decided to make a quitting plan. Every month I would decrease my chew intake by 1 can. So now I am at the end of this month and about half way through my last can.

I have a pretty good feeling about this plan, but from everything I'm reading on here, it sounds like going cold turkey is the best approach. For those who have been successful at quitting, what are your thoughts to my approach? Have any of you had success with tapering down before outright quitting?

Thank you all in advance,

Micah